Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wednesday 8/1: Training Camp Tweets

rblgenius

Breakdown of RG3's pass attempts:

Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_Tandler

Practice report: Special #RG3 edition. QB was 10-14, 2 TD's 2 picks. http://bit.ly/Md3wNW

He was 10-14 (.714) for 116 yards, two touchdowns and two interceptions. To take this overanalysis one step too far, that equals a quarterback rating of 96.13.

Here is what it looked like pass by pass.

Deep pass intended for Pierre Garçon incomplete

Garçon may have been open for a moment but RG3’s pass spent way too much time in the air and Madieu Williams was on the receiver to knock it down.

Medium pass intended for Chris Cooley intercepted by Lorenzo Alexander

This appeared to be a simple case of Griffin not seeing the linebacker drop into coverage. The QB went for the tight end crossing over the middle and Alexander backpedaled into the pick.

Short pass to Santana Moss complete

A quick slant to Moss.

Red zone 11 on 11

Medium pass to Garçon complete for a touchdown

From the 20, Griffin executed a nice play action fake and threw a rope to Garçon over the middle at the goal line.

Short pass to Garçon complete

This was a bubble screen from the pistol formation (RG3 in short shotgun, the RB directly behind him a few yards). The defense was all over it and would have tackled the receiver after a short gain.

Short pass to Garçon complete for a touchdown

This was a shorter version of the previous TD play minus the play action. RG3 made a good, solid throw right where it needed to be.

Medium pass to Leonard Hankerson incomplete

This pass never had a chance, it didn’t look like Hankerson was where RG3 thought he would be. This could be an error by the receiver, the passer, or both.

Medium pass intended for Moss intercepted by DeAngelo Hall

If the Redskins’ defense works like this with any frequency there won’t be as much pressure on RG3 to score. Brian Orakpo got pressure on Griffin, forcing an underthrown pass and Hall made a diving interception.

11 on 11 from midfield

Short pass to Moss complete

This was another bubble screen, the defense had it well covered and any gain would have been minimal.

Deep pass to Moss complete

Moss went deep and had two defenders near him. The ball was underthrown and Moss came back and got it. It turned out so well that one might imagine that RG3 intentionally underthrew the pass to give Moss a chance at it. But it seems more likely that he simply underthrew it without intending to do so.

Intermediate pass to Hankerson complete

Griffin found his receiver on the sideline and zipped the ball to him.

Intermediate pass to Garçon complete

RG3 rolled left and found Garçon on that sideline. Good pass, good catch.

Short pass to Garçon complete

This was another bubble screen. The defense had seen it coming all day long and that was the case here, too.

Short pass to Moss complete

RG3 threw a quick slant to Moss. Like most of his passes, the ball got there in a hurry and it was on the money.

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2012/08/practice-report-special-rg3-edition.html

Thanks for posting, Cali. I'm sure someone will come in saying that the underthrow was intentional, but it doesn't matter either way. Just glad that our guys are working together and I'm sure the coaches are looking at every play, good or bad, as a learning opportunity.

It's exciting to see our playmakers being put into good positions. Moss has a guy that can get him the ball. Hall will be closer to the ball in the slot more, Rak and Kerrigan and flipping sides and making it hard on the offense... a lot to like.

No, I think they're called the Giants and apparently they won the last SB. We also beat them twice last year and had no RG3. Fascinating things you learn watching NFL-Live

You sure you saw that on tv? I've given up on NFLN and I don't even bother watching NFLN AM.

Rich Tandler Rich Tandler ‏@Rich_Tandler

A couple of non-RG3 practice notes: In 1-on-1 blocking Wilson tried to go through Williams to get to QB. Bad idea, hit a brick wall.

More 1-on-1 blocking, Jenkins beat Chester but failed to make a move upfield towards "QB". DL coach Burnie got on him about that.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 06:27 PM ----------

Wait, did he get cut??

He's out for the season, I think the Colts waived him with the intention of putting him on IR.

Breakdown of RG3's pass attempts:

Practice report: Special #RG3 edition. QB was 10-14, 2 TD's 2 picks. http://bit.ly/Md3wNW

http://www.realredskins.com/rich-tandlers-real-redsk/2012/08/practice-report-special-rg3-edition.html

That looks like a pretty efficient day from where I'm sitting...If you just listened to Russell, you would think RG III is the worst QB out of the 3... I'll agree with Clayton and say RG III is poised for a huge year...Hopefully the line holds up

I knew he was injured badly, but he'd be a hell of a pickup if we could stash him. Kinda like what the Pats did to the Giants with Ballard.

A hell of a pickup with 2 seasons back to back with ACL injuries?

Please.

We need to grow as a fan base, draft our own and grow talent and stop wishing for the shooting star.

A hell of a pickup with 2 seasons back to back with ACL injuries?

Please.

We need to grow as a fan base, draft our own and grow talent and stop wishing for the shooting star.

Grow as a fan base? Speak for yourself. It would be a "hell of a pickup" just about as much as picking up a young, talented, pedigreed, injured OL with the intention of stashing him on IR can be. Don't take it as anything deeper than that or as some attempt at a miracle cure for our OL. Obviously great and/or proven players very rarely hit waivers in the first place.

Take the comment in the context it was meant, and stop overreacting.

How long have you been here, Conn? You know that can't happen.
Overreacting is what dumb, bitter, or dumb and bitter fans do. Just have to deal with it.

Good points, both of you. I sometimes forget myself. :doh:

What im most excited about is that our defense might not suck against running quarterbacks anymore. Remember what Cam, Vick, and Joe freaking Webb did to us? Now with Robert our defense may learn how to approach these quarterbacks.

Griffin just went 50 yards untouched. Looks like its still a problem.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2012 at 08:32 AM ----------

No thanks on the Colts OLman. If he had only one ACL tear, I'd give him a shot, but since it's his 2nd, no thanks. Not worth it.

It's good news that there's no need for surgery. He may want to seek a chiropractor. I've had hip problems in the past and sought a chiropractor (as a matter of fact the same doc as Casey Rabach). Always good to get an alignment once in a while along with regular stretching or yoga. Gotta work the muscles (stretch) and the frame (bones) together to see results.

He may also be suffering from a degenerative bone disease. In that case he had better see a really good rheumatologist soonest if he hasn't already.

Griffin just went 50 yards untouched. Looks like its still a problem.

---------- Post added August-2nd-2012 at 08:32 AM ----------

No thanks on the Colts OLman. If he had only one ACL tear, I'd give him a shot, but since it's his 2nd, no thanks. Not worth it.

All the QB runs don't really do anything for me when the defense isn't allowed to touch him.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived