Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1992 USA Basketball 'Dream Team' vs. 2012 USA Basketball

Sticksboi05

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

2012 in a long or short series.

The key is who will guard Durant? Kobe/Lebron and Jordan/Pippen kind of cancels each other out. Barkley/Melo edge Melo. Ewing/Robinson >> Chandler and Davis.

The wildcard.... who in the heck on the 92 team can check KD? Maybe Pippen, but than who would check Lebron?

Jordan wouldn't allow his team to lose. 92' dream team in a sweep. Easy.

*Also, Charles Barkley brought up a GREAT point about their age. Most of the guys on the team were still in their primes and not even 30 yet.

This.

And people always act like Magic was past his prime when he retired. No. He was only 31 and his numbers hadn't slipped a bit. I mean he put up 20 and 12 that season. The only one who was finished was Bird. And he still put up 20 and 10 in the half a season he did play.

---------- Post added July-13th-2012 at 09:59 AM ----------

The key is who will guard Durant? Kobe/Lebron and Jordan/Pippen kind of cancels each other out. Barkley/Melo edge Melo. Ewing/Robinson >> Chandler and Davis.

The wildcard.... who in the heck on the 92 team can check KD? Maybe Pippen, but than who would check Lebron?

Lol. You young bucks sleep on how beastly that team was. I see it all the time when Kobe fanboys try to act like Kobe (god bless him) is on Jordan's level.

This.

And people always act like Magic was past his prime when he retired. No. He was only 31 and his numbers hadn't slipped a bit. I mean he put up 20 and 12 that season. The only one who was finished was Bird. And he still put up 20 and 10 in the half a season he did play.

Lol. You young bucks sleep on how beastly that team was. I see it all the time when Kobe fanboys try to act like Kobe (god bless him) is on Jordan's level.

Not saying they are on the same level, I just think that those four would probably beat about even.

I just wanna know who is checking Durant?

Carmelo Anthony over SIR CHARLES? Surely you jest. Carmelo is a one dimensional player - if he doesn't score, he's invisible. He's also inconsistent. Barkley in '92 was an absolute force scoring and on the boards. He, unlike Melo, actually took a team on his back to the Finals winning NBA MVP along the way. Pippen on LeBron all game, MJ on Durant. Kobe's 33, he doesn't explode like he used to so let him shoot from the outside. The dribble penetration by the 2012 team would be met by the dominating '92 bigs. The front court would be an embarrassing massacre. Not even worth getting into. Then you have a good all around player like Clyde the Glide who just put up 26, 7 and 7 that season.

I don't see how 2012 wins getting beaten down in the front court all game. Chris Paul could get to the hoop but it wouldn't be fun for him to see The Admiral there about to swat his shot into the third row. Ewing and Robinson were shot blocking machines.

It's also interesting about Magic. He had just put up 19 and 12.5 a game in 90-91 and took his team to the Finals again. I was too young but doesn't seem like a has been who literally couldn't play. Those are All-NBA First Team numbers. (He was All-NBA First Team in 91)

The 2012 team is more athletic but I don't think that makes up. Plus, one team has MJ in his prime. One doesn't.

I don't think Jordan could check Durant. It would probably be better if Jordan guarded Lebron. But I don't think the others would be able to stop Kobe.

As far as Melo/Barkley goes. I just think it might be easier for Melo to contain Barkley than it would for Barkley to contain Melo.

I don't think Jordan could check Durant. It would probably be better if Jordan guarded Lebron. But I don't think the others would be able to stop Kobe.

As far as Melo/Barkley goes. I just think it might be easier for Melo to contain Barkley than it would for Barkley to contain Melo.

Carmelo Anthony is not a defensive player though. In 92-93 Barkley put up 26 ppg and 12 rpg. No way Carmelo now is as good as Barkley was in his prime. He's a scorer, that's it. A damn good one (I think he used to be the most complete offensive player in the game in Denver) but just a scorer. Melo would have the advantage outside the post on offense no question but he wouldn't stop Charles at all.

As for MJ/KD...Post '94 MJ had no business on All-NBA Defensive teams but before his first retirement, he was one of the best in the league (though not even the best on the Bulls). I mean, KD certainly wouldn't out-athlete a prime MJ, not even close. His height would help but with a prime MJ on him, he wouldn't drop close to 30 unless he just was red-hot and feeling it.

Not saying they are on the same level, I just think that those four would probably beat about even.

I just wanna know who is checking Durant?

Who's checking Durant??? Um...Scottie Pippen.

The physicality of the league back in the 80s/90s bred a totally different NBA player. These guys not only had skill, but they were EXTREMELY physical. Durant, for all his talent isn't at his complete best when defenders are putting a body on him. There's a reason why guys like Ron Artest (in the past) and Stephen Jackson have had success guarding him. Scottie Pippen, is 10000x the defender than the two I mentioned and I don't think he would have that hard of a time making an adjustment here and there and d'ing up Durant to keep him in check.

His height would help but with a prime MJ on him, he wouldn't drop close to 30 unless he just was red-hot and feeling it.

That's the problem for the most part, he is almost always on fire. He is like the only person I have seen play that can just pop up and shoot at will and have them go in. It's crazy.

I think that it is gonna be tough for anyone who wasn't around for DT 92' to appreciate how great that team really was.

No the problem is that since people were around during that time, they won't admit to anybody beating that team. I saw the documentary, they were like rock stars. Everybody loves a rock star.

This.

Magic won an MVP the prior year. He was far from finished.

EDIT: He won an MVP in the 89-90 campaign, my bad.

The only old guy on that team was Larry Bird. Even then, he averaged 20 ppg in his last injury plagued season.

That's the problem for the most part, he is almost always on fire. He is like the only person I have seen play that can just pop up and shoot at will and have them go in. It's crazy.

No the problem is that since people were around during that time, they won't admit to anybody beating that team. I saw the documentary, they were like rock stars. Everybody loves a rock star.

Lol, the way the Miami Big Three was up on that stage when they joined together, you'd think they were The Miracles.

Are you kidding? The players today might impact their cities, maybe the country. The Dream Team had the WORLD in their hands. It was something that people have never seen before.

Here is what I want you to do. Take the best five off the Dream Team and take the top five off of this years team... Compare the remaining seven.

Are you kidding? The players today might impact their cities, maybe the country. The Dream Team had the WORLD in their hands. It was something that people have never seen before.

Here is what I want you to do. Take the best five off the Dream Team and take the top five off of this years team... Compare the remaining seven.

I hope that you are not saying that this year has the better bench?

92 has two stacked squads

PG: Stockton/Magic

SG: Jordan/Clyde

SF: Pippen/Bird/Mullin

PF:Barkley/Malone

C: Robinson/Ewing

2012 goes

PG: Williams/Westbrook/Paul

SG: Kobe/Durant

SF: Melo/Lebron

PF: Love/Bosh/Davis

C: Chandler

I would love to see Kevin Love and Chandler trying to check an 'in his prime' Malone and Ewing

I said 92 dream team in 6, but I might change to 5.

Nobody has even mentioned how will this team guard the deadly pick and roll of Stockton and Malone? I think John Stockton gets alot of "meh" from the younger guys in here, but not only was he a baller, he was tough as nails physically and mentally. I'm not trying to open another can of worms, but I think Stockton gets a bunch of flack from the younger crowd because he's white.

Also, Bird was just as fierce a competitor as Jordan was. Watch some old film of him miked up and he'd get so inside an opponents head. Bird also was (to me) the best passing Big Man in the history of the game (talking about forwards).

Chris Mullen was deadly from 3. Barkely not only could rebound, but he was perhaps the best inside/outside player in the league. Stop him inside, he'll make you pay from outside. Stop him outside, and he'll make you pay inside.

I also agree with RonArtest15 above that the physicality of this team would knock the current team on the asses. All this talk about who will cover Durant, Kobe or Lebron, but who would cover the 11 guys on Dream Team. Each one of them could become a scorer for their team at any given time (maybe 10, I'll leave Laettner and Stockton off).

And don't mention world competition. This is strictly 92 vs 12 teams. It doesn't matter how good the world was. DT were beating teams by 40 and 50 points a game (I think they beat Angola by 70). I think the DT could beat any world team today by at least 25-30.

For what its worth, I believe its much easier to compare player from the 1992 era and the 2012 era than it would be to compare (for example) the 1992 era to the 1972 era. Certain training methods, etc. (specially weight traning) had made its way into the NBA by 1992, perhaps not to the extent it is now implemented, but if you look at 1972 you'd be hard pressed to find an NBA athlete hitting the weights.

So.... 1992 team would take 2012 down, in my humble opinion. People tend to downplay the David Robinson's presence on the 1992 team. He was a force of nature early in his career before he injured his back. Essentially stepped off of an Air Force base after his commitment was over in 1989 at the age of 24 and immediately put up 24/12 as a rookie. He has no equal on the 2012 team.

---------- Post added July-13th-2012 at 11:08 AM ----------

I'm not trying to open another can of worms, but I think Stockton gets a bunch of flack from the younger crowd because he's white.

You're not opening a can, Stockton definately was not viewed as "cool" by anyone (booty shorts, pasty white skin, didn't say much, etc.), ever, particularly in retrospect. But he did what Steve Nash is doing now, only he did it better.

Shoot, I forgot that Wade, Howard, and Bosh was off this team. You add them 3 and Rose and I really think the 2012 team can beat them.

But if it is only the current 2012 Olympic team (no Rose, Howard, Wade, Bosh, and Griffin) vs the Dream Team, I think the Dream Team will in a long serious.

I think people are underestimating just how much the game has changed since 1992. Have you seen how good ball handlers are compared to back then? It baffles my mind how people can say 1992 would win easily...I think it would be a close game.

I watched the Dream Team's championship game on youtube....the game was closer through half time and they were playing sloppy until they blew it wide open. It took them a while to get rolling. They wouldn't have that luxury against the 2012 team that can easily outgun them on a fast break.

Archived