Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Redskins Tailgating at FedEx Field Thread

SonnyandSam

I'm glad to hear the gray lot is still there. I was getting worried it was gone like the red lot. And to the peeps that park there....don't give up the secret.

:giantsuck::dallasuck:dallasuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:dallasuck:giantsuck::giantsuck::dallasuck:eaglesuck

I'm glad to hear the gray lot is still there. I was getting worried it was gone like the red lot. And to the peeps that park there....don't give up the secret.

:giantsuck::dallasuck:dallasuck:eaglesuck:eaglesuck:dallasuck:giantsuck::giantsuck::dallasuck:eaglesuck

No doubt. Gray Lot is underrated...

My cousin and I usually get to about 4 or 5 games a year. Over the past few years our tailgate has grown progressively from none of our own stuff, to a small cooler and a tiny charcoal grill, to now 2 grills one coal and one gas, 2 tables, multiple coolers, and hopefully this year a canopy. I can share with you one of my favorite tailgate recipes that's always a hit, bacon wrapped flank steak. Very simple, take a good size flank steak or however many you might need depending on your party as well as 1 strip of bacon per slice of steak, and some toothpicks. Slice the flank steak into thin strips. Then proceed to lay them on top of the bacon strips. Roll these up longways so they basically look like little meat wheels and then put your toothpicks through to hold the roll together. You can marinate these however you wish, I usually just throw them in a pan with some oil and Montreal seasoning and a little garlic salt overnight. Fire up your grill and set them on with the sides to the grate (easier to flip that way). Flip them occasionally and let them cook to desired color/temp. I'm more of a medium rare kind of guy so brown around the outside and pink in the middle is my preference. After that, proceed to crack open a cold one (Yuengling is my go to) and enjoy. Also I had a question, I've noticed you guys talking about different heaters and power sources, I wouldn't mind having a power source for a TV or maybe my electric smoker on a special occasion like Dallas week or something. What would be a small cheap option for this? Just a couple outlets or something,

A 800 watt Inverter will power a TV, Sat dish and a few small lights easily. you can get one from Harbor freight on sale for arounbd $80.00 or so. We connect ours to the truck battery and occasionally start the vehicle up although most will cut themselves off when they drain the battery down too low to start the car. Better safe than sorry particularly on extra cold days. As an alternative we sometimes just bring a spare car battery and use that for powering the Inverter.That Smoker is another story. Typically those things require 800 - 1500 watts of power to operate. You'llneed a much larger Inverter that will discharge your battery quickly or a small Generator and that becomes somewhat cumbersome IMO.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, the smoker I knew was kind of a long shot, anything in it usually takes at least 3-4 hours anyway so it would be kind of a waste because that would mean waiting the entire tailgate to eat, on top of the cool down time which I would have to wait for because there's not a chance in hell I'm leaving that outside my car lol. But it would be nice to have a TV around maybe for some Madden or some early games or just coverage.

So what are everyone's favorite tailgate recipes? Do you all stick with the typical burger and dogs? What are the foods and other things that make your tailgate unique? Do you like to be neighborly to fellow tailgaters and try to start a party? Or do you keep to yourself? Before the Cards game last year my friends and I ended up combining with about 3 other groups and started a 26 person game of flip cup, it was awesome.

So what are everyone's favorite tailgate recipes? Do you all stick with the typical burger and dogs? What are the foods and other things that make your tailgate unique? Do you like to be neighborly to fellow tailgaters and try to start a party? Or do you keep to yourself? Before the Cards game last year my friends and I ended up combining with about 3 other groups and started a 26 person game of flip cup, it was awesome.

I have two goto's that seem to be a hit whenever we use them.

one is burgers - except i actually make my burgers. we get ground beef and then mix in chopped up onions, jalapenos, relish, and Montreal steak seasoning. very good

the other is blackened sammon, which cooks very well on a little charcoal grill. goes very well with mango salsa on top

we get sick of the burgers/dogs and try to mix it up, but everything else is very generic that we do. grilled chicken, steak, etc. nothing too crazy.

my wife makes a great tortellini pasta salad, and we'll put a pot on the stove to do things like green beans to mix it up.

For me, it depends on who we are playing:

Dallas - Chili and burgers

Philly- BBQ chicken

NYG - Steak and baked potatoes

Green Bay - Brats with sauteed onions and peppers

Tampa Bay - Filet and lobster tails

New England - Clam chowder, surf n turf

Kansas City - Ribs

St Louis - Ribs

Tennessee - Pulled pork BBQ (tomato based)

Carolina - Pulled pork BBQ (vinegar based)

ribs....

holy **** we've never done ribs

thank you, i'll be adding that into the rotation this year.

Dude, ribs are the **** for tailgating. BBQ sauce alert:

http://www.gatesbbq.com/Products.aspx?CATID=1

Order from them the original, and the spicy. 2 racks of ribs, cooked low n slow the day before, wrapped in foil overnight in fridge, then finished over some coals with the sauce? RIDONCULOUS

To avoid traffic on departure we are typically 2 meal tailgaters. Our second meal is usually brats/dogs and burgers, something simple but our first meal before the game is always somerthing special. Ribs, steaks and lobster tail, shimp kabobs, pork tendeloin, barbecue smoked all night and shredded right at the game, chili and cornbread. we always try to one up each other.

For me, it depends on who we are playing:

Dallas - Chili and burgers

Philly- BBQ chicken

NYG - Steak and baked potatoes

Green Bay - Brats with sauteed onions and peppers

Tampa Bay - Filet and lobster tails

New England - Clam chowder, surf n turf

Kansas City - Ribs

St Louis - Ribs

Tennessee - Pulled pork BBQ (tomato based)

Carolina - Pulled pork BBQ (vinegar based)

Wow, remind me to make my way over to your section whenever we play Tampa at home again lol.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 09:40 PM ----------

To avoid traffic on departure we are typically 2 meal tailgaters. Our second meal is usually brats/dogs and burgers, something simple but our first meal before the game is always somerthing special. Ribs, steaks and lobster tail, shimp kabobs, pork tendeloin, barbecue smoked all night and shredded right at the game, chili and cornbread. we always try to one up each other.

I agree, pregame meal should always have some sort of flare to it. Along with the bacon and flank steak rolls I also love to do kabobs. Usually either chicken, shrimp, and/or steak.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 09:47 PM ----------

My tailgate has gotten bigger as the years (5 years now). Usually starts with a 7am drive from Northern Va to Fedex. I get to Fedex right before 8am and pop some Mimosa's and a shot of crown to celebrate being at the best place in the world. Lots open at 9am for a 1pm game and me and 2 other guys of mine set up 3 tents, Corn Hole, Tv with Direct TV , Beer Pong and a couple grills. Usually a good time!

If you dont want to bring anything and want an amazing atmosphere and the best... yes THE BEST food? Check out the guys at Hail BBQ. They set up in the purple lot right off of Arena Drive.

www.hailbbq.com

Hail BBQ is the same one that gets raved about on Kevin and Rock all the time isn't it? The guy who runs it calls them all the time if I'm not mistaken.

My personal two favorite tailgate recipes I've done is first cheeseburgers stuffed with bleu cheese & bacon (make double the patties you plan on making, smash them thin, put the cheese/bacon in top of one patty, cover with a second patty, and seal.) I also made a stuffed chicken recipe for the STL ES tailgate last year that turned out awesome. Stuff the chicken breast w/ cream cheese, spinach, spices, and cheddar. Wrap in bacon, and then cook straight on the grill. Loved 'em.

Dude, ribs are the **** for tailgating. BBQ sauce alert:

http://www.gatesbbq.com/Products.aspx?CATID=1

Order from them the original, and the spicy. 2 racks of ribs, cooked low n slow the day before, wrapped in foil overnight in fridge, then finished over some coals with the sauce? RIDONCULOUS

Gates BBQ, straight out of the Midwest, Kansas City's own! Great call, Popeman!

It's a bit of a trip but my favorite BBQ in the area - and the entire east coast - is Andy Nelson's in ****eysville MD. The ribs and wings are simply amazing.

They aren't open on Sunday. We've made many a Saturday night trip for Sunday tailgating.

Gates BBQ, straight out of the Midwest, Kansas City's own! Great call, Popeman!
I was introduced to Gates BBQ sauce by a Chiefs fan in (I think) in 2009 when the Chiefs came to FedEx. Retired Navy dude that worked at the Pentagon with my cousin. It was so good that I have been a devoted user since. Easily the best BBQ sauce I have ever had.

I was introduced to Gates BBQ sauce by a Chiefs fan in (I think) in 2009 when the Chiefs came to FedEx. Retired Navy dude that worked at the Pentagon with my cousin. It was so good that I have been a devoted user since. Easily the best BBQ sauce I have ever had.

It's good stuff. If you're ever in KC though, go to Oklahoma Joe's (go to the original one in the gas station). Possibly THE best BBQ I've ever had in my life & IMO just a hair even better than Gates.

It's good stuff. If you're ever in KC though, go to Oklahoma Joe's (go to the original one in the gas station). Possibly THE best BBQ I've ever had in my life & IMO just a hair even better than Gates.

You misspelled Rosedale BBQ. Best in KC - or on the planet.

But like I said, any "locals" who haven't been to Andy Nelson's are doing themselves a grave disservice.

You misspelled Rosedale BBQ. Best in KC - or on the planet.

But like I said, any "locals" who haven't been to Andy Nelson's are doing themselves a grave disservice.

Ha, duly noted CL. I've heard Rosedale's good, but never had it, but I'll be in KC next week for business. I'll report back & give the winner between OKJ's/Rosedales.

We switch up between burgers, steak, chicken, ribs ...... but the one thing we always bring is a bag of frozen, pealed and cooked shrimp. Throw them on the grill to heat up, sprinkle on some whatthishere pepper and old bay. Don't forget to taiste test them every minute or so to see if they're warm. Another way I like to make chicken is a bunch of thighs with Paul Prudhomme, old bay, and lots of pepper. Don't forget a tooth pick though cause it sometimes gives you summer teeth (the black gets stuck on them making them look like your missing some)

Archived