Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Redskins Tailgating at FedEx Field Thread

SonnyandSam

• 2 weeks later...

If you dont want to bring anything and want an amazing atmosphere and the best... yes THE BEST food? Check out the guys at Hail BBQ. They set up in the purple lot right off of Arena Drive.

www.hailbbq.com

Thanks for the love GreenB30

I know the HailBBQ Crew busts their butts to throw a good tailgate each and every week. Stop by and say hi to Tailgate Ted this year if you have time.

• 3 weeks later...

This is by far one of the best threads on ES!!

Let's hear some creative ways people are stepping up their tailgates this year in honor of RG3.

I just purchased a Freedom Grill. Should definitely be easier and cleaner than bringing the old Weber (although I will miss the charcoal taste).

:point2sky

• 1 month later...
Anyone got any suggestions for good tailgate breakfast dishes to do on a grill?

Trying to step my tailgate up to multiple courses this year. Much appreciated!

We do breakfast burritos and bacon.

To feed 6:

- 8 eggs beaten

- 1 chorizo sausage

- bag of Simply Potatoes - diced potatoes with onion

- shredded cheese

- a mild salsa (I cheat and go by Anita's on Saturday and order a burrito and ask for a bunch of sauce - they give me me like 15)

- pack of flour tortillas

- 1 lb of thick-cut bacon

Crumble the chorizo and cook until solid (about 5 minutes on high). Add in the potatoes and cook in the chorizo grease (softens the taters as they cook). When the taters are fork tender all the way through, add the eggs and let them get solid all across the bottom, then break them up with the spatula. Cook eggs thoroughly, and move to a container. Heat each tortilla in the same pan/griddle you cooked in, about 10 seconds per side. Start rolling the eggs/chorizo/potatoe mix in the tortillas, adding about half a container of the salsa (about a teaspoon) and a pinch of cheese. Wrap in foil and place in aluminum container on grill, if you can turn half the grill down to low or off. Cook bacon on other half of grill. If the grill only has one control, cover the aluminum container in foil tightly and let the burritos keep themselves warm.

This recipe has enough spice from the chorizo and the flavor from the salsa to spice up breakfast and be plenty filling for even the hungriest of tailgaters. This only takes about 15 minutes of cooking, so you can do this first thing (about 8:45 for my tailgate) and still grill lunch to eat right before game. Have used this recipe for about 7 years now, and haven't yet found an easier or better one.

But of course, I am all ears!

EDIT: If trying to keep the tailgate on the not expensive side, this will cost you right around $10 if you buy everything at Giant/HT the night before, cheaper (about $7) if you plan and make the purchases at Costco/Wal-Mart as part of normal shopping. For the single income with kids crowd that still wants to eat good and have fun at tailgate, like me.

I often do Cheesy scrambled eggs and sausage links on a flat grill pan over the grill. Sunday, I was going to do breakfast burritos like Popeman38 does. I was going to make my usual cheesy scrambled eggs with chopped jalapeno peppers. Add chopped (grilled) sausage (hadn't decided what kind yet), salsa, fresh tomatoes from the garden, maybe some chopped onion. I usually use cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese...but often it is whatever is in the refrigerator that will melt well.

I prep all my food the night before and put everything into Tupperware containers e.g. beat the eggs, grate the cheese, chop the onions, peppers, tomatoes, etc.

As Popeman does, we have breakfast when we arrive and then lunch right before game time. Sometimes we stay for dinner after the game. But with my new seats, I often skidaddle out of the parking lot beating the crowds.

Enjoy the tailgate and the game!

---------- Post added September-18th-2012 at 12:29 PM ----------

For those going to the game, it's that time to go check out all your tailgating equipment! Is it clean? Do you have full propane canisters or new bag of charcoal? Lighter and matches? Can't tell you how many times people have bummed a propane canister of lighter from me. Do you have all your supplies? -- plates, cups, paper towels, plastic trash bags, etc.

Make sure you have everything in one location to quickly pack your stuff on Sunday. I have all my stuff in Rubbermaid containers grouped by food/kitchen and "other". I have a separate set of shelves in the garage where I stack my containers, propane, travel grill, chairs, canopy and ice chest. Only thing in the house I need to bring are myself, my clothes, my tickets and parking pass and my computer monitor that doubles as a TV.

Start your meal list now. Think about doing something new. IF you get to the lots early, consider grilling your own breakfast like Popeman38 and I do. Many of you have the tried and true menu. But consider breaking out from the same old stuff. Some people create a menu based on a theme using the visiting team. Cincinnati is known for their sausages and chili. Add things to your shopping list as you think about them. Less likely you'll forget anything.

If you have your season tickets for the first time, have you mapped out an arrival and leaving strategy? Where do you want to park? What roads will you use to arrive and depart? Plan on alternate routes in case of congestion or construction. Bring your GPS if you have one. It becomes invaluable if you get stuck behind an accident or construction detours.

Be sure to plan an early arrival so you don't miss the game. I am still shocked at how many people try to arrive within a half hour of game time and expect to be in their seats for the kickoff. It is amazing how many empty seats there are in the stadium during the first quarter. You spent all that money to miss 1/4 of the game. Silly. Arrive early.

Also, the metal wands used by security could slow down entering at the gates. Plan extra time until people get used to emptying their pockets. Leave all your loose change and metallic stuff in the car. Take only what you need. Use your hat to put all your metal stuff in while in line. I saw people at the pre-season games dropping stuff all over the place and getting frustrated as they tried to hold all their stuff in their hands.

For the newbies, no large bags or backpacks. Small purses are OK. Generally, you cannot bring in anything that could be used as a weapon like poles for signs, pocket knives, guns, etc. Leave them in your car or you will have to walk back and put them away...or throw them away.

Archived