Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Redskins Tailgating at FedEx Field Thread

SonnyandSam

Welcome to the Official Redskins Tailgating at FedEx Field thread where Redskins fans can share their tailgating ideas and suggestions, equipment choices, recipes, beverages, games and entertainment, etc.

tshile and I have kicked this idea around for a week or two and we felt there was a need for all of us to contribute our ideas on how we tailgate and discuss the best equipment, food, beverages and other stuff that makes tailgating fun and enjoyable as we wait to watch our Redskins take the field. It's an opportunity for each of us to share with each other to make our tailgates more fun and enjoyable. We encourage pictures of your tailgate setup.

No real rules. We do suggest you keep your post brief and to the point. Consider posting separately on different aspects of your tailgate to keep posts short and to keep the thread alive, e.g. separate posts on your equipment, beverages, recipes, games, vehicle decorations, etc.

So let me start....I've been tailgating at FedEx for about ten years now. I've accumulated a lot of stuff over the years. Don't feel like you have to buy it all at once. It can get expensive buying a grill, table, chairs, canopy, games, cooler, let alone the food and drink, etc. Most people have the basics around the home with a few items that might need to be added if this is your first year of tailgating at FedEx Field.

Step One: Planning

Planning is very important. I encourage you to make a list of everything you are bringing. I've created an Excel spreadsheet with a list of items that need to be packed in the car. I add things to the list as I think of them or find a need to remind myself. I have 7 lists:

1. Primary Tailgate List
  2. Tailgate Kit 1 -- Food
  3. Tailgate Kit 2 -- Misc
  4. Food and Beverages
  5. Car Check
  6. Clothing
  7. Cold Weather Gear

I'll discuss each of these in future posts. But at the top of my "Primary Tailgate Stuff" are my tickets and parking pass. Yes, I have left the house without one or the other or both multiple times. Fortunately, I remembered before getting too far down the road. When you travel 2 hours from Harrisburg, PA, you don't want to arrive without your tickets or parking pass! I know others have done the same....I've read the posts in past years. It happens. You are excited about getting on the road and seeing the Skins. I'll do the complete list in a separate post as this post is already too long.

Hope all of you join tshile and I as we contribute our ideas and tips for a great tailgate. We got about three boring weeks until rookie training camp begins and four until the vets arrive. So chip in every day or two with your ideas and tips to share with your Redskins buddies.

Hail!!!

As an Australian die-hard Skins fan, making plans to come across for a few games in 2013, i'll be watching this thread with interest. I would love nothing more to be able to make some native DMV Skins-fan friends who would be happy to have an Aussie tag-along for a proper tailgate+FedEx home game experience when the time comes. :)

As an Australian die-hard Skins fan, making plans to come across for a few games in 2013, i'll be watching this thread with interest. I would love nothing more to be able to make some native DMV Skins-fan friends who would be happy to have an Aussie tag-along for a proper tailgate+FedEx home game experience when the time comes. :)

As a retired sailor, i have seen how much beer aussie's can pack away......would make for an interesting game if one didn't end up passed out in stadium parking...:ols:....

As for the topic......really haven't done elaborate tailgates so far.....i fly my car flags.....maybe have some small snacks with appropriate adult beverages at the stadium.....but pretty low key. One of my daughters gave me a Redskin portable gas grill this past xmas, so am looking forward to trying that out at the stadium this season. Also, as his will be my first year since i have had season tickets that i am also a member of a few Skin websites......hoping to meet new friends on trips to the stadiumthis season.

As a retired sailor, i have seen how much beer aussie's can pack away......would make for an interesting game if one didn't end up passed out in stadium parking...:ols:....

Haha. Thanks sailor. We wear that as a badge of honor. :)

I've been going to games for about 7 years now where I'm in charge of things. Before then I was just invited along with my dad or his dad, so they did the planning.

I've been having a real problem with getting equipment together. There isn't really a great resource for just tailgating that I've found, every site I've found so far just puts team logos on everything them marks them up 300%; which is not at all what I'm looking for. If anyone has any local stores (Northern VA area) or website you've had good experiences with let me know :)

Our setup for the last 7 years has been a small webber charcoal grill, a decent sized cooler, table/chairs, and two cardboard boxes full of supplies.

I just recently got two home made corn hole boards which are painted to look like football fields with redskins logos/colors all around it. The hole even has lighting around it for night games, and of course the bags are redskins colors/branded. That's going to add a lot of fun to the games for our crew this year.

also received one of those charcoal chimney's, which I think is a must, and a gas grill I can use. So we should be set in those regards.

What I really need are some quality organization bins - i'm thinking rubbermaid tubs but I'm not entirely sure. Any recommendations would be appreciated :)

I do also have a 20+ year old card board table. It's been to way more games than I have, dating well back into the '80s. We keep it around simply because of that. Eventually it will have to go :(

Yeah, you need to get rid of those cardboard boxes. I have two Rubbermaid (burgundy color of course) that stack on top each other. I forget the size but will check tonight and edit my post. The sterilite containers are less expensive and about as sturdy. They can be found at any Wal-Mart. I used to have blue Rubbermaid containers because that was the only color I could find after checking all the local stores. I came across the burgundy color containers a few years ago by chance at a local Kmart. I used one for food related items. And the other has miscellaneous stuff like my electrical cords for my inverter, TV, antenna, cold and rainy weather gear. I'll post more about them on another day.

I don't know of any single store, local or internet, that has tailgating gear as a one stop shopping location. I just decide what I need, do my research on which one I want, and then go searching for the best price.

As for the card table, I used mine for a couple years, found a cheap camping table from an online site and eventually received a 6 foot folding aluminum NFL/Redskins branded table as a birthday present from my family. I think it cost around $75. It is sturdy, folds open and closed easily, and looks like it belongs at a Redskins tailgate. You probably have seen them. They look like football field with "Redskins" at either end.

For those collecting their tailgate gear, these items make great birthday and Christmas gifts from your family. All you dads know the kids and wife complain you never give them ideas. Well, here's your chance to make a list of those things you would like but are too cheap to buy on your own!

Tailgating is always a must, and Pez/Huly (from everything I've heard) do an amazing job for the ES crew.

I've been to 2 away game ES tailgates, and they were awesome, and expecially at away games, it's good to be with the team you are rooting for. Last year could have been two, but when I posted about tailgating in Philly I got no takers!

I tailgate sporting events, probably 30 times a year, usually only once for Redskins games (not a DC resident), but blessed to live in an area where tailgating is awesome for the other teams I do root for. For Phillies and Flyers/76ers (warm weather) – usually do two different things:

Weekday – Hoagie, beer

Weekend – Bring the grill, stock the cooler, burgers/dogs, chips, queso, etc

Games – washers is a must for my friends and I – toss a football around is a constant (redskins football usually gets a few comments in Philly), sometimes horse nuts or corn hole.

I have been tailgating at FedEx for 10 years now (wow, can't believe it has been that long!). Over the years, I have acquired a litany of products over the years. I assume it will be ok to include those here:

Grill: I have had multiple grills over the years, but my 2 favorites are the Coleman RoadTrip II and the Margaritaville Grill. I currently use the Margaritaville. Got it at Lowe's at the end of summer for half-price. Seems they have sales right before Labor Day.

Coleman-Roadtrip-Grill-Lxe-e1339459714525.jpg1242229255_margaritaville-tailgating-grill_1.jpg

Flagpole: Wincraft 16' Telescopic Flag Pole. Bought this with my Redskins CC reward points when they discontinued with the card through BoA.

bsi-11131.jpg

Canopy: First-Up 10' x 10' Canopy. Plain blue canopy, got at Wal-Mart right before Labor Day for 40% off.

ez-up_canopy.jpg

Tables: I go with Lifetime® 8' Fold-in-Half Utility Table from Costco. Easy up, easy down, easy clean.

495521.jpgWe also have a 6' table.

Chairs: Two different kinds of chairs. Camping chairs and chairs with a table-side attached. 2 of each. Bought the camping chair from Dick's when they were having a closeout sale for $10/chair. Received the Admiral Chairs as part of the HT spend $50/week for 13 weeks give away they used to do a couple years ago.

53779.jpgcamping%20chairs%202.jpeg

Games: Ladder Ball and Cornhole. Amazon is a wonderful place. Bought in middle of winter for ~$35 each.

wild-sports-cincinnati-bengals-football-toss.jpga20791c1322bc4a8bde89e_m.jpg

Firepit: A Cheepie that has a portable carrying case (originally from Target, though they don't seem to carry it anymore). Bought on clearance for half price.

TG25206_147347

And of course I have the standard car flags and car magnets.

Not sure I would own a "Blue" canopy. I think I would have asked the salesperson for a "Red" canopy.
It was Wal-Mart! Asking an associate there would have led to us walking over to the display and him saying, "Nope, all we got is blue". Trust me, the price was right, and the blue canopy has kept me dry repeatedly over the last 5 years. And with the Skins flag flying and the car flags, there is no mistaking my tailgate as a Redskins tailgate.

It was Wal-Mart! Asking an associate there would have led to us walking over to the display and him saying, "Nope, all we got is blue". Trust me, the price was right, and the blue canopy has kept me dry repeatedly over the last 5 years. And with the Skins flag flying and the car flags, there is no mistaking my tailgate as a Redskins tailgate.

:ols: I know. I was just yanking your chain. I'll look for the blue canopy Sept 23rd. What lot are you in? We park in the Grey Lot. My Mom has a handicapped placard.

I was looking at that Margaritaville Grill prior to receiving my portable gas grill from my daughter. I have a Avalanche, so easy days hooking it to the trailer hitch. Have you liked it's performance thusfar?
It makes life SOOOO much easier! Any pans/pots you use, leave them on grill until you get home. No cleaning of the grill before loading up to go to game. It locks to your hitch, so no one can steal it. Grill locks to mount. Only complaints I have is that there is only one burner, you can't have different temps; and you can't really cook in any large pots on it, so chili has to be either pre-made and reheated in smaller pans or yo have to use a different grill. But all in all I love it!

---------- Post added July-2nd-2012 at 02:42 PM ----------

:ols: I know. I was just yanking your chain. I'll look for the blue canopy Sept 23rd. What lot are you in? We park in the Grey Lot. My Mom has a handicapped placard.
I park in the old Copper Lot, now the Tailgate Park & Walk cash lot.

I park in the old Copper Lot, now the Tailgate Park & Walk cash lot.

You are on the other side of where we are. We don't tailgate. Usually we eat a big breakfast at the hotel and then get something at the game like a hot dog or a sausage. Then we go in the Redskins store to look around since there aren't any Redskins stores here in Charlotte.

You are on the other side of where we are. We don't tailgate. Usually we eat a big breakfast at the hotel and then get something at the game like a hot dog or a sausage. Then we go in the Redskins store to look around since there aren't any Redskins stores here in Charlotte.
I don't know how you do it! Tailgating is what makes the day for me. Going to a game without tailgating, after tailgating all these years, seems foreign to me. Getting to relax and read the paper while grilling, drinking some adult beverages while the kid runs around! Makes a great ending to the week. And then there is a Redskins game afterwards!

I don't know how you do it! Tailgating is what makes the day for me. Going to a game without tailgating, after tailgating all these years, seems foreign to me. Getting to relax and read the paper while grilling, drinking some adult beverages while the kid runs around! Makes a great ending to the week. And then there is a Redskins game afterwards!

Quite frankly, I really don't care to go to the games, but my Mom was able to score season tickets 3 years ago and it's kind of her dream to be a season ticket holder. I kind of feel obligated to go with her, but I only go about 3 times of the 8 home games. My great nephew is 9 and he goes with her 2 or 3 times a year and my Dad will go with her a couple of times even though he's not a huge football fan. Plus, we drive up from Charlotte for the games, so it's harder for us to tailgate being so far away. We stay in a hotel in Waldorf (since that's where we're from and it's a n easy drive to the stadium), so we aren't able to carry alot. My Mom just turned 65, so she does pretty good walkng from the gray lot up to the stadium.

We stay in a hotel in Waldorf (since that's where we're from and it's a n easy drive to the stadium), so we aren't able to carry alot. My Mom just turned 65, so she does pretty good walkng from the gray lot up to the stadium.

If your mom is ok with the walking you should stop be the ES Tailgate one game and meet some of us. We always love meeting people from the board. Don't worry about what you can bring all are welcome!

If your mom is ok with the walking you should stop be the ES Tailgate one game and meet some of us. We always love meeting people from the board. Don't worry about what you can bring all are welcome!

We came by there the first year, but haven't been able to get over there since. Maybe we'll stop by this year. You guys are in the green lot, correct?

We came by there the first year, but haven't been able to get over there since. Maybe we'll stop by this year. You guys are in the green lot, correct?

We're at E-43 in the green lot off of Redskins Road.

If you ever need a parking pass (which allows you to tailgate), you can stop at the McDonalds that about a mile off of Exit 15 on your way to the stadium turn (about another half mile). They pretty have everything there you might need in the event you forget something.

My wife and I have the simplest of tailgates imaginable. Usually it's a sixpack or more of Octoberfest for me and we split a 12 inch sub of some type in the SUV. I drive and, well we park always in the Green lot. Met some great fans and now friends doing so. I would love to grill up, but there are not a whole lot of SKINS fans up in Cecil County to come down with. If there are some besides the few I know LET ME KNOW!!! lol

I have been tailgating at FedEx for 10 years now (wow, can't believe it has been that long!). Over the years, I have acquired a litany of products over the years. I assume it will be ok to include those here:

Wow. Nice

When I make the trip from Australia to DC for some redskins games in 2013, i'm going to hit you up to see how you feel about letting an Aussie die hard Skins fan tag along to your tailgate :)

My tail gates are a little more simple...usually some food, beer, and then into the game.

I use my Redskins Keg Grill, and usually some hamburgers, or Italian sausages with some chips.

I also usually have my portable tv so I can watch NFL pre game coverage before the game and catch up on the scores after the game waiting to getoutmof the parking lot. Normally I will fire the grill back up and have some more food prior to heading home.

Other than that it is a few camp chairs and a folding table. Simple, yet satisfying. Would do more but usually it is just me and my brother so no need.

Archived