Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it arrogant to claim a special relationship with the Creator of the Universe?

alexey

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It obviously depends on what your beliefs are. Many people believe that God wants to have a relationship with them, my dear mother being one of them. I don't know what to believe and I don't care much for "faith." I can't do the believing without seeing, but who are you or I to tell somebody else that their beliefs are arrogant or unfounded?

Is it arrogant to claim peoples claims are just claims?

It can be, if it is done with an attitude of superiority manifested in overbearing manner (language from the dictionary).

Although it seems there can be a lot of disagreement about what constitutes an attitude of superiority manifested in overbearing manner.

Depends on the claim. If I claim that TK is a winged, three-horned beast who moderates from the depths of Eyjafjallajökull is it arrogant of you to dispute the claim?

No. Because I know he is. :ols:

Can you, alexey, or anyone else say definitively that there's no God, or that he doesn't want such a relationship with us?

Arrogant in relation to whom? Special in relation to what?

If you like, you can read it like this:

Does a belief that the Creator of the Universe knows about you and cares about you reveal in you an exaggerated sense of your own importance?

Can you, alexey, or anyone else say definitively that there's no God, or that he doesn't want such a relationship with us?

Anybody can say anything :)

If you want to institute a rule that people should not make definitive statements about things which they cannot definitively know, then I'm on board ;)

Seriously, Alexy we get that you think we Christians are arrogant an unethical....we get it, we really do.

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 05:06 PM ----------

Is it possible to just combine all of these alexey threads into one? I mean, damn already.

No joke, when I logged off over a week ago he was on this "Christians are awful" tear...enough already.

If you like, you can read it like this:

If you believe that the Creator of the Universe knows about you and cares about you, does that belief reveal an exaggerated sense of one's own importance?

My answer to that is no, I don't believe it is arrogant, because I believe that God knows and cares about all of His creation. And I find that humbling, rather than arrogant.

No. Because I know he is. :ols:

Definitively? No. That would be pretty arrogant of me :pfft:

I defer back to my imaginary friend question, nonetheless. If God is exactly what you think he is then anything you claim about him is pretty much true. If God is not what you think he is or doesn't exist at all then God, as you perceive him, is an imaginary friend. Either way, it's not arrogant to claim some sort of special relationship. Your claims are merely unfounded in the latter case.

There are ways that the question alexey posed could be rephrased to make arrogance more relevant. You'd really just have to specify the type and degree of "specialness" afoot. As far as I'm concerned, it wouldn't be arrogant of a stalker to claim that he/she has a "special" relationship with the person he/she is stalking. On at least some level that is true even if most of us don't consider that to be a legitimate relationship.

Seriously, Alexy we get that you think we Christians are arrogant an unethical....we get it, we really do.

I really do not think that way. I think we would actually agree on lots of things.

I just want to discuss some assumptions that are not commonly questioned in our culture. For some reason it is traditionally considered a humble thing to believe that the Creator of the Universe cares about you and has a special plan for you. I do not see that as humble, and I would like to know where other people here stand on that.

Is it possible to just combine all of these alexey threads into one? I mean, damn already.

We try to operate by rule, not personal taste. If it were otherwise, there would be some very notable absences and a few promotions. :ols:

I really do not think that way. I think we would actually agree on lots of things.

I just want to discuss some assumptions that are not commonly questioned in our culture. For some reason it is traditionally considered a humble thing to believe that the Creator of the Universe cares about you and has a special plan for you. I do not see that as humble, and I would like to know where other people here stand on that.

So, you start by saying you don't think Christians are arrogant and unethical and then you say that the belief that God has a special relationship with humanity isn't humble, and if I remember correctly earlier you argued that teaching children about the reality oh Hell is unethical.....so tell me how it is again that you don't think Christians are arrogant and unethical.

My answer to that is no, I don't believe it is arrogant, because I believe that God knows and cares about all of His creation. And I find that humbling, rather than arrogant.

I find a belief that there is no God who knows and cares to be more humble. Maybe using the word "arrogant" was not a good choice for the poll.

I vividly remember one of several turning points in my thinking about this. I was reading an interview with a Holocaust survivor who said that he stopped believing in God after watching Nazis play soccer with a live baby until it turned into a bloody pulp, and then forcing the mother to wipe off the blood off their boots.

Free will or not, a loving/caring God allowing this just does not work out for me.

I find a belief that there is no God who knows and cares to be more humble. Maybe using the word "arrogant" was not a good choice for the poll.

I vividly remember one of several turning points in my thinking about this. I was reading an interview with a Holocaust survivor who said that he stopped believing in God after watching Nazis play soccer with a live baby until it turned into a bloody pulp, and then forcing the mother to wipe off the blood off their boots.

Free will or not, a loving/caring God allowing this just does not work out for me.

Did you just hijack your own thread with the Problem of Pain?

Regarding the actual topic of this thread: Is it arrogant for a man to believe his wife loves him, even if she bakes really, really, really damn good cookies?

Archived