Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: DeAngelo Hall plans to talk less, play more in 2012

themurf

6373729655_724454e689.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

No current member of the Washington Redskins is more polarizing than cornerback DeAngelo Hall.

While some fans see him as a Pro Bowler, a team captain and one of the only players who can consistently create turnovers, others see him as “MeAngelo” — a selfish player who was run out of his two previous places of employment and who is capable of creating controversies at the worst-possible times.

The highs are definitely high with Hall — like his record-tying four interception game against Chicago or his game-winning fumble recovery for a touchdown against Dallas in the 2010 season opener. But the lows are equally low — for example, being dragged by mediocre quarterback Jake Delhomme on a 3rd-and-8 run or giving up a 30-yard catch to Dez Bryant with the game on the line on a 3rd-and-21 last season.

But for better or worse, Hall is a key member of this franchise — particularly in a secondary that is littered with question marks. While the front seven looks like it could potentially be the strength of the 2012 Redskins, the secondary appears to be a work in progress, to say the least.

Injury-prone safeties LaRon Landry and Oshiomogho Atogwe were let go this past offseason, and have been replaced by half a dozen candidates (including Tanard Jackson, Brandon Meriweather, and Madieu Williams). Which two safeties rise to the challenge and earn a starting job Week 1 is anyone’s guess.

In the meantime, that leaves Hall and Josh Wilson as the two most established players in the secondary. Considering opposing quarterbacks threw for 3,553 yards with 22 touchdowns and 13 interceptions last season, it’s safe to say Washington is going to need an above average year from both of them if things are going to be better in ‘12.

Because so much has changed in the secondary since last season, I caught up with Hall to get his perspective on the upcoming season. Here’s what he had to say:

How’s everything been with you, man? And before we get started, how do you prefer to spend your offseason?

“I feel like the offseason hasn’t even really started yet,” Hall said. “I feel like this five-week break right here is about to be my offseason, so I’m about to do it up. I’ve got a 15-day trip to Bora Bora I’m about to go on.”

I haven’t talked to you since last season ended, but apparently since the last time we spoke, people are now comparing you to Charles Woodson. Can you elaborate on that story and tell me what that was all about?

“I don’t even know what that was and hadn’t even heard that story,” he said. “I think I made the comment maybe a week ago about being used kind of like Charles Woodson and the way the defense has kind of evolved.

“You know, when ‘Los [Carlos Rogers] and K.B. [Kevin Barnes] played the nickle here it was a little different,” Hall continued. “Now that [defensive backs coach] Raheem [Morris] has come here, he’s changed some of the techniques and made it more of a playmaking type of position. I’m definitely gonna have a chance to make a lot of plays, similar to C-Wood.”

You mentioned Raheem Morris. Can you talk a little bit about what he’s brought to the table since he came to town?

“****, Raheem brings everything, man,” he said. “He brings swag. He brings confidence. A different set of eyes on the defense to let us know where we were weak at and areas where we need to get better at. As a defense, we finished 13th last year. I believe at one point we were in the top five range, so he’s kind of opened our eyes and helped us reinvent ourselves a little bit. Sometimes that’s what you need — an outside source to come in and switch things up a little bit for the betterment of the team. And that’s what we feel like he’s done.

“As a defensive backs coach he keeps the room fun,” Hall continued. “But at the same time, he’s very demanding of us. We definitely love having him around and I hadn’t really ever been around him until he got here. I’ve spoken with him a lot of the last eight or nine years and I always wanted to play for him, but having him here now — I don’t ever want to play for another DB coach.”

Who is a better trash talker — you or Morris?

Click here for the full article.

giving up a 30-yard catch to Dez Bryant with the game on the line on a 3rd-and-21 last season TWICE.

Fixed it for ya!

Good write up Murph. I hope he just shows up and plays ball. He has the chance to be a great leader with his veteran savy. The light goes on late for some guys, and other guys it never goes on at all. Hopefully DeAngelo is the former.

I swear i love me some Dhall *No Romo* :paranoid:.. I don't care what anyone says..

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 07:52 AM ----------

IMO the guy had a bad year. I think he's a really good player and i hope he can shut all the people up that think he's garbage. Nice job Murf as always

I think the switch from Slowik (which i don't know why Shanny brought him in, in the first place) to Morris will make the biggest difference. And once Morris becomes the D.C., i think the entire defense will be scary which includes the secondary.

I love how people rip on him for Bryant being open on those plays. it was an all out blitz both times, and the coverage was tight for the route. Then Tony and Dez improvised, and once that began, Dez has a complete advantage on any CB.

The second time it wasn't. There was at least safety. Doesn't matter. He can't cover him and he wants to be "The guy."

I thought for sure that DHall had him the second game, but he just can't cover the big guys.

I am in the minority, but I am huge fan of DHall. I actually like that fact that he runs his mouth. Probably, because I am the same when I play soccer and flag football. I piss a lot of people off, but I love it. I think Morris will make this secondary better than what people expect.

Ear plugs would be effective for him as well. Pushing the limits on refs calling personal fouls against him do not bode well, especially in tight games.

Oh, and that thing called class, well, proving he's a great CB is alot better than talking it on the field. Don't get me wrong, I think he's a good player, but his mouth always causes issues, and receivers get under his skin too easily; that is, when he doesn't get caught staring the QB down as a receiver jukes him. Trying to make a play is one thing, but discipline is another, and I'm sure he'll settle down and be the player we all hope he can be...

Ah, my fault. Unfortunately there are some people on here who probably would have been serious :ols:

:cheers:

You couldn't be more right. I couldn't stand him with Atlanta but once we signed him up I changed my mind. I am particularly fond of a certain play against Dallas. . .

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 11:36 AM ----------

that is, when he doesn't get caught staring the QB down as a receiver jukes him.

I'm all for him staring down Jay Cutler.

The second time it wasn't. There was at least safety. Doesn't matter. He can't cover him and he wants to be "The guy."

I thought for sure that DHall had him the second game, but he just can't cover the big guys.

The thing is, aside from those two plays, D-Hall DID keep Dez mostly underwraps in those games; Dez was quiet most of the game in the first meeting. Dez scored a TD against him in the second meeting and then was pretty much non-existent until the end of the game.

Two times a bad playcall did him in. Like D-Hall said; doesn't take a genius to figure it out that if you can buy sometime against a Cover 0 look against a corner who's much better in zone than he is in man especially against a guy like Dez, you can get a big play. Both times the pass rush didn't get there, because both times the guys blitzing lost contain on Romo sits to pee. Haz and Slowik, I guess, thought they put a wrinkle in the plan by having Atogwe drop, so it technically an All Out Blitz...but the same thing happened, the same way, with the same guy twice. I'm not trying to absolve D-Hall, but he was put into unwinnable situations twice.

I blame Haslett for that 3rd and 21, not DHall. It was one of the worst play calls last season.

It was one of the worst because it didn't work out. If it had resulted in a sack/pick/fumble, you'd be talking about what a genius move it was.

It was gutsy, and that's really all you can ask for. How many years have we had to suffer through prevent defenses, and that bend but don't break garbage in the skins "top 10" 4-3 defense, who couldn't get after anyone, or stop anyone EVER?

Iive by the fire, and sometimes you'll get burned. I'm ok with that, eventually those kind of breaks will go our way.

It was one of the worst because it didn't work out. If it had resulted in a sack/pick/fumble, you'd be talking about what a genius move it was.

It was gutsy, and that's really all you can ask for. How many years have we had to suffer through prevent defenses, and that bend but don't break garbage in the skins "top 10" 4-3 defense, who couldn't get after anyone, or stop anyone EVER?

Iive by the fire, and sometimes you'll get burned. I'm ok with that, eventually those kind of breaks will go our way.

I think there is a fine line between gutsy and stupid. That call was well into the stupid realm imo. We didn't need to get a sack or fumble. We just needed to prevent them from getting 21 yards.

It was bad because he did it twice, against the same team, in a similar situation, in two different games...

It's a game, and talking smack gets people in the zone. Kevin Garnett is one of the biggest smack talkers in Sports. He gets ridiculed for it when he doesn't play well, and gets praised for his "tenacity" when he plays well.

I'm just waiting for the Patriots to slump again. This "Patriot way" balogna annoys me. The Giants talk all sorts of smack and they seem to have the Pats number.

I think there is a fine line between gutsy and stupid. That call was well into the stupid realm imo. We didn't need to get a sack or fumble. We just needed to prevent them from getting 21 yards.

And the Cowboys had already forced themselves out of their kickers range with a dumbass penalty. If we force an incompletion there, or even if they just complete a short pass, we get the ball back. We could've easily rushed five and dropped six. We sacked Romo sits to pee four times in that game, we were generating pressure.

The best coordinators play to their teams strengths and put them in positions to succeed. Haz had the perfect chance to rectify himself for the first dumbass call in the exact same situation and the only thing he changed was dropping one more dude into man coverage.

It's a game, and talking smack gets people in the zone. Kevin Garnett is one of the biggest smack talkers in Sports. He gets ridiculed for it when he doesn't play well, and gets praised for his "tenacity" when he plays well.

I'm just waiting for the Patriots to slump again. This "Patriot way" balogna annoys me. The Giants talk all sorts of smack and they seem to have the Pats number.

Lets not compare hall of famer Kevin Garnett to D-hall though please. Garnetts career gives him a little more of a pass when he doesnt back up his smack talk.

---------- Post added June-13th-2012 at 02:04 PM ----------

:doh:

Are you serious? He was giving an interview.

I think he was trying to be funny..............for all the crap us D-Hall "haters" get, I swear he has pictures of you all doing something you shouldnt have been doing. You would think we were bashing Riggins, or Taylor, or Monk or something. My God.

Archived