Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashingtonPost.com: Raheem Morris implementing changes in Redskins secondary, ( and other related backfield articles INSIDE)

SWFLSkins

Relative questions answered by Shanahan.......http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?366090-Redskins-Washington-Redskins-Quotes

On what Secondary Coach Raheem Morris will bring to the secondary this year:

“Well scheme wise, anytime you bring in a coach, there’s always different ideas. You know, Raheem’s been in four-man fronts for about most of his career, some of the best. You take a look at Tampa Bay and you take a look at the coaching staff that they had from Monte Kiffin, to obviously Raheem, to Mike Tomlin. Their four-man front was probably as good as there has been for a lot of years, the last 10-15 years. He brings a lot of ideas from what he’s done in the past to what we’re doing now. There’s always different ideas that you toss around. But basically we have our same scheme, and he does a heck of a job coaching and getting the best out of players.”

On DeAngelo Hall’s role on the team:

“There’s a possibility that he could play more roles. He loves cornerback, he also can play the nickel, he can play the dime. Last year we had him just out on one side and we had Kevin Barnes inside so we decided to change a number of players and get more flexibility inside. Especially, with all of these three, four, and five wide receivers, you have to have the ability to have more than five defensive backs on the field at one time. Count your safeties; you can have six and sometimes seven. We’re a lot more flexible than we have been in the past. With these OTA’s structured the way it is, we get a chance to teach it the right way as well.”

On safeties Tanard Jackson, Brandon Meriweather, and Madieu Williams:

“Tanard [Jackson] just got back here recently and he just healed up. So, I’m looking forward to watching him and evaluating him through the minicamp and him being apart of our football team going into the summer. Madieu [Williams] I’ve seen a lot of, Brandon [Meriweather] I’ve seen a lot of. Both of them are very impressive on how they practice and how they prepare. You can see why they’ve been excellent football players in the past and I’m glad to have them on our team.”

On why he signed three different safeties:

“Well, you sign players that you feel can play the position and our strong safety and free safety positions are pretty interchangeable. And that’s what we practice for. We get to evaluate those guys and see how they get to fit into our system. I think Brandon Meriweather, you know, ran a system in New England that is very similar to what we’re doing and in Chicago it was a lot different than what he has done in the past, with more of a two-deep structure and three-deep. So, I think he fits in our system a lot better than he did in Chicago and I can see that on the practice field. Madieu [Williams] is such a class act, very smart, fast and we’re looking for some big things out of him. We’ll have some competition in that position and that’s what you want. We’ve got some experience at that position as well, bring in [Jordan] Bernstine as well, you know a draft choice that has really impressed a lot of people with his speed, and that’s what you look for.”

On Brandon Meriweather’s legal issue in April:

“I talked to him about that situation. Obviously, it will remain with us. These players represent not only themselves but our organization. And we want people to handle themselves the right way, and if they don’t handle themselves the right way, they make too many mistakes, they won’t be with us. You know, we give people chances, but we go into detail what we expect of them, on and off the football field. And if we feel like, if they behave themselves the right way, they stay. But if not, we go in a different direction. That’s why you’ve got to have some depth.”

Disagree. These guys would get eaten alive in coverage - the Roy Willams type extra linebacker called a safety is just about extinct in today's NFL. If anything I agree with Conn you will start to see corners converting to S and an increasing blurring between the corner and safety positions in general.
If they aren't fast enough to cover TE's at LB, they'd have to drop a fairly substantial amount of weight to do it at S you'd think. Plus, the level of athleticism/agility isn't always there.

You occasionally see S that are too big make the transition to LB and do well: Urlacher is obviously the best example. Kenny Tate is doing it in college right now. I believe I read that someone was attempting it with Taylor Mays to salvage something from his career.

I can't remember any player starting at LB, attempting a switch to S, and succeeding.

I think you guys are on to something. I was just throwing some things out there.

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 09:07 AM ----------

Taylor Mays is with the Bengals now and penciled in as a starting safety.

I remember when alot of people here wanted to draft him to replace Sean. Arent't they cousins?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/redskins-watch/2012/jun/7/observations-and-thoughts-thursdays-redskins-pract/

Cornerback depth is a question entering training camp, which is why an undrafted rookie such as Chase Minnifield deserves our attention. I noticed two positive plays of his Thursday morning.

He stayed stride-for-stride with TE Niles Paul on a route to the right sideline, and the play went to the other side of the field.

Even more impressive: In goal line drills, he quickly latched on to WR Josh Morgan, who broke out of a stack. Morgan was not open crossing the back of the end zone, and the pass intended for him was overthrown. For a rookie such as Minnifield to know his assignment against a formation designed to confuse the secondary is an auspicious sign.

Don't feel like this needs a new thread, but this is very exciting to me. Chase seems like the highest potential guy to take over on the outside, if Hall to the inside happens. I really hope this guy can step up and take over, even though any rookie will have his gorwing pains. For as long as he sat out due to his surgery, it's good to see that he's starting off with some good plays.

Don't feel like this needs a new thread, but this is very exciting to me. Chase seems like the highest potential guy to take over on the outside, if Hall to the inside happens. I really hope this guy can step up and take over, even though any rookie will have his gorwing pains. For as long as he sat out due to his surgery, it's good to see that he's starting off with some good plays.

Last year Jenkins looked like a steal of the draft, but it was postponed until this year. If Chase can be the steal of this years draft, we will be in some pretty good shape.

Last year Jenkins looked like a steal of the draft, but it was postponed until this year. If Chase can be the steal of this years draft, we will be in some pretty good shape.

I still can't believe Chase actually went undrafted. Even with the health issues, he was supposed to be a mid second, early third round talent, fourth at the latest. Some of the corners that got drafted instead of him...it's nuts.

I still can't believe Chase actually went undrafted. Even with the health issues, he was supposed to be a mid second, early third round talent, fourth at the latest. Some of the corners that got drafted instead of him...it's nuts.

Even by us. We drafted 2 before signing him. It's crazy.

Even by us. We drafted 2 before signing him. It's crazy.

I am sure glad they all used his red flags that allowed us to scoop him up. Unlike many I am excited to see what this backfield can produce.

---------- Post added June-8th-2012 at 12:20 PM ----------

also another backfield related article, I am going to edit my thread title. lol

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/jun/7/redskins-new-look-secondary-starts-with-3-safeties/

Reed Doughty knows a coaching moment when he sees it. It’s a bit hard to believe, but this will be the seventh NFL season for the sixth-round pick out of Northern Colorado. That makes him the third-longest-tenured member of the Washington Redskins and, by far, the dean of the Redskins‘ secondary.

So after newly acquired safety Tanard Jackson covered a receiver underneath during team drills Thursday, leaving open a receiver deep down the left sideline, Doughty sought Jackson out for a conversation.

Such breakdowns could be common as the Redskins prepare for the 2012 season. Washington will have two new first-string safeties, an overhaul that represents the biggest uncertainty on an otherwise formidable defense.

“It’s a matter of finding guys that are athletic and can be cohesive on the back end,” Doughty said. “If we can communicate, then we can make some plays.”

Reed Doughty knows a coaching moment when he sees it. It’s a bit hard to believe, but this will be the seventh NFL season for the sixth-round pick out of Northern Colorado. That makes him the third-longest-tenured member of the Washington Redskins and, by far, the dean of the Redskins‘ secondary.

That's wild to think about lol...almost everyone thought Doughty would be gone in 2008 after Horton had somewhat of a breakout rookie year.

That's wild to think about lol...almost everyone thought Doughty would be gone in 2008 after Horton had somewhat of a breakout rookie year.

He has had to fight for a roster spot every single year and watched how many guys come in to take his spot, but thanks to hard work, solid fundamentals and football smarts, he is still here and happily helping the new young guys, who only want to take his spot yet again. I am pretty sure that's the definition of core player and the type you need to make a good team better, especially such a young one.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2012/06/three-observations-tuesdays-redskins-minicamp/722956

Rookie corner Chase Minnifield performed well Tuesday and continues to look like a wise pickup. He went undrafted after having microfracture surgery on his knee in January, but he hasn't been limited in workouts. On Tuesday, he jumped a route and picked off Rex Grossman (throwing off his back foot). Minnifield also did an excellent job covering Pierre Garcon, jamming him at the line, turning and running step for step. Minnifield consistently holds his own against the starting receivers. He'll be worth watching this summer.

Since I am really hopefully for the Chase Minnifield taking a spot, I will post here again. I sure hope he keeps this up.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2012/06/three-observations-tuesdays-redskins-minicamp/722956

Since I am really hopefully for the Chase Minnifield taking a spot, I will post here again. I sure hope he keeps this up.

I was hoping to keep this thread alive and active, there could be a plethora of threads covering the backfield this year considering the competition for roster spots. I think we absolutely can not predict who is going to play where now that Morris is on the coaching staff.

I was hoping to keep this thread alive and active, there could be a plethora of threads covering the backfield this year considering the competition for roster spots. I think we absolutely can not predict who is going to play where now that Morris is on the coaching staff.

Very true.

However, just for ****s and giggles, my guess is it will play out something like Hall and Wilson are our base 3-4 defense corners, Griffin comes in on nickle packages and Hall moves to the slot, and Minnifield starts out as the Dime corner. Granted, they'll all probably be moving around everywhere, but that's what I think it will look like the majority of the time.

Very true.

However, just for ****s and giggles, my guess is it will play out something like Hall and Wilson are our base 3-4 defense corners, Griffin comes in on nickle packages and Hall moves to the slot, and Minnifield starts out as the Dime corner. Granted, they'll all probably be moving around everywhere, but that's what I think it will look like the majority of the time.

I don't disagree with the corner assessment you put forth, I wonder more so about the can of worms at safety, and how that plays out.

More info//////

http://washingtonexaminer.com/sports/nfl/2012/06/redskins-morris-making-his-presence-felt/732321

By John Keim

New secondary coach livens up the practices

ASHBURN -- He needles everyone, pricking the competitive desires of anyone in his path. Or, better yet, on the other side. So if the defense tops the offense in a drill, Raheem Morris lets the offensive coaches know. Then he'll probably remind them once more.

And if one of his players messes up, Morris lets him -- and anyone else in the vicinity -- know he disapproved. Of course, he also shouts out his approval if they do well.

The bottom line: Morris' presence is felt no matter what happens. What impact he'll have in terms of strategy is uncertain, but the new secondary coach certainly will be heard.

"I'm a very opinionated person," he said.

I don't disagree with the corner assessment you put forth, I wonder more so about the can of worms at safety, and how that plays out.

I'm far less concerned about FS than I have been in several years. Best man wins between Williams and Jackson. Whoever does win should do ok for us and the other will give us (much) better depth than we've had.

SS concerns me a bit more. Merriweather, though he has the talent, seems risky to rely on. Doughty has his bright side, but none of us want to see him in coverage again. Gomes is a bit of a wildcard - definitely more athletic than Doughty, but I don't trust him in coverage yet. Hopefully his game time last year and a full offseason allow him to be solid depth behind Merriweather.

I'd say we're easily better off than last year (which ain't saying all that much), but how much better remains to be seen.

I'm far less concerned about FS than I have been in several years. Best man wins between Williams and Jackson. Whoever does win should do ok for us and the other will give us (much) better depth than we've had.

SS concerns me a bit more. Merriweather, though he has the talent, seems risky to rely on. Doughty has his bright side, but none of us want to see him in coverage again. Gomes is a bit of a wildcard - definitely more athletic than Doughty, but I don't trust him in coverage yet. Hopefully his game time last year and a full offseason allow him to be solid depth behind Merriweather.

I'd say we're easily better off than last year (which ain't saying all that much), but how much better remains to be seen.

Remember the days of Bleh and his CB's playing 10 yards off on 3rd and 1? Good times

Very good assessment skinny, I do think Gomes could develop and beat out Reed this year, but we have Reed if nobody else rises beyond Gomes and takes the starter spot.

Good Times, tell that to my wife when I was up yelling at the TV, punching in the air at Bleh's head.

Very good assessment skinny, I do think Gomes could develop and beat out Reed this year, but we have Reed if nobody else rises beyond Gomes and takes the starter spot.

Good Times, tell that to my wife when I was up yelling at the TV, punching in the air at Bleh's head.

Thanks. I'm just glad we have an actual FS to back up our starting FS, rather than relying on a SS with major coverage issues.

The one part that does concern me is that the coaches feel the two safety positions are 'interchangeable'. I get it in terms of disguising coverages etc., but shouldn't we just let players do what they do best? Asking Merriweather, Gomes and Doughty to play a FS role is setting them up to fail. Hopefully I'm just ignorant of what they actually mean by 'interchangeable'.

Thanks. I'm just glad we have an actual FS to back up our starting FS, rather than relying on a SS with major coverage issues.

The one part that does concern me is that the coaches feel the two safety positions are 'interchangeable'. I get it in terms of disguising coverages etc., but shouldn't we just let players do what they do best? Asking Merriweather, Gomes and Doughty to play a FS role is setting them up to fail. Hopefully I'm just ignorant of what they actually mean by 'interchangeable'.

Yeah I think they look at them in 3-4 more as extra corners who have stronger run support ability than a corner but still can cover. I don't know if there is a big difference with SS vs. FS in that system. But it surely as you said put some guys in position to fail and give up big plays one way or the other.

Archived