Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashingtonPost.com: Raheem Morris implementing changes in Redskins secondary, ( and other related backfield articles INSIDE)

SWFLSkins

Raheem Morris is the best thing that has happened to the Redskins secondary. He is a perfect balance to Haslett and Shanahan. Young and refreshing charisma with a ton of football knowledge and players will follow his lead. Notice throughout the season how energized the secondary will be and the success that we have. I can't help but say we when referring the Redskins...it's in my blood! HTTR

Hall is still the starter but when the offense go 3 or 4 wide Hall has been lining up inside on a slot receiver rather than outside. I thinks that's as much because Davis, who is the nickle corner, is much better suited to playing outside to inside personally.

Exactly. Hall is a starter because when an offense lines up in one- or two-wide sets, where you're more likely to see a run called, Hall's tackling ability is an asset and his liability of biting on double-moves isn't as much of a risk. A pass--much less a deep one--is less likely out of those sets, and because pass plays have less time to develop with more defenders in the box, the routes are generally shorter or straight "go" routes. Where Hall runs into trouble is in those 3-5 WR sets in which he's matched against a #1 receiver who gives a good fake and then sprints toward the end-zone. When an offense lines up in a receiver-packed set, Hall is best used as a middle-of-the-field ball-hawk that adjusts based on his read of the QB, as Morris appears to be recognizing.

I certainly hope Raheem is up to the task because our secondary has the potential to be abysmal this year.

Definitely my biggest concern going into the 2012 campaign without a doubt. If we had a strong secondary I'd probably feel like we have a top 10 defense which can only help our young rookie Qb. But with this secondary we could be top 15 or bottom 5. I am VERY worried about the back end here.

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 12:10 PM ----------

Thank You. People act like we were just bombed and bombed time and again. We were actually pretty solid as a pass defense considering how little depth, talent and injuries we had. But it's too hard for some to look at a glass half full I guess after years of negativity.

The secondary has to be a concern. I agree, we can't say they will be awful yet. But anyone who has watched not only this team but this division and this league has to have some concern. Merriweather is a head case. He has already been hit for a DUI since he got here and he has been cut within 24 months of a pro bowl for a reason. Dhall is Dhall. He is aging now too. He isn't a shut-down by any stretch. Reed Doughty is a nightmare on the field. I know some people like his hustle etc. He just isn't good enough. I like Josh Wilson but he's not a shut down either. Barnes? Gomes? Meh. Nothing special out there. Maybe Tanard Jackson can be decent. I am actually happy about hearing the rumors of Talib (although his character is as questionable as merriweather). I like that they have alot of guys competing back there and hopefully the Morris will coach them up but I totally think its fair to have doubt about the secondary. We are in a division with the Superbowl Champs, Victor Cruz, Dez Bryant, Michael Vick who prolong plays very well, D Jackson, Maclin, etc etc. Honestly with the addition of Claiborne to the Cowboys we probably have the worst secondary in the division at this point. Would you actually argue otherwise?

The secondary has to be a concern. I agree, we can't say they will be awful yet. But anyone who has watched not only this team but this division and this league has to have some concern. Merriweather is a head case. He has already been hit for a DUI since he got here and he has been cut within 24 months of a pro bowl for a reason. Dhall is Dhall. He is aging now too. He isn't a shut-down by any stretch. Reed Doughty is a nightmare on the field. I know some people like his hustle etc. He just isn't good enough. I like Josh Wilson but he's not a shut down either. Barnes? Gomes? Meh. Nothing special out there. Maybe Tanard Jackson can be decent. I am actually happy about hearing the rumors of Talib (although his character is as questionable as merriweather). I like that they have alot of guys competing back there and hopefully the Morris will coach them up but I totally think its fair to have doubt about the secondary. We are in a division with the Superbowl Champs, Victor Cruz, Dez Bryant, Michael Vick who prolong plays very well, D Jackson, Maclin, etc etc. Honestly with the addition of Claiborne to the Cowboys we probably have the worst secondary in the division at this point. Would you actually argue otherwise?

I would say there isn't a great secondary in our division and no shut down corners on any of the teams in the East.

How many "shut down" corners are there in the league?

I would say there isn't a great secondary in our division and no shut down corners on any of the teams in the East.

Well, Asomugha can be a shutdown corner if he's used as Oakland used him (man-to-man) and not how Philly has inexplicably been using him (zone). And the other secondaries in our division are certainly capable and feature a lot of solid year-after-year starters.

Well, Asomugha can be a shutdown corner if he's used as Oakland used him (man-to-man) and not how Philly has inexplicably been using him (zone). And the other secondaries in our division are certainly capable and feature a lot of solid year-after-year starters.

I'm not saying we host the 4 worst secondaries in the league, just that none stand out.

The Eagles secondary has been so over rated for the last 5 years it's insane.

The one thing that every team in the East has that inflates all the secondaries, is great pass rushing defenses.

Raheem Morris is the best thing that has happened to the Redskins secondary. He is a perfect balance to Haslett and Shanahan. Young and refreshing charisma with a ton of football knowledge and players will follow his lead. Notice throughout the season how energized the secondary will be and the success that we have. I can't help but say we when referring the Redskins...it's in my blood! HTTR

I think its underrated how much of a negative affect Shanny bringing in Slowik has done to this secondary.. Not to say that the unit is top notch in talent... but its not as bad as folks are implying.. I have a good feeling Morris will give that jolt of energy that they needed for a minute.. And which is why he's being considered as Haz's replacement at D. Coordinator.

To me, there are only two "shutdown" corners; Revis and Champ.

You can have Revis and Champ playing man, zone, bump and run, stick 'em in the slot, stick outside, have him play safety for a play or two, what have you, it doesn't matter. They effectively take away one whole side of the field, and they tackle and get physical in the run game.

Nnamdi showed his ass last year. He can't play zone coverage, can't play cover-2, you can't move him around and have him be versatile by having him play in the slot, at nickle, at safety. No; stick him on the right side and all you can do is play man. And yeah, he'll effectively shut down one side of the field...but then you have to trust the other guys to cover. On top of that, Nnamdi can't tackle; Royster broke his ankles. Cruz embarassed him. He sucks defending the run.

Fact is, the entire NFC East doesn't have a true shutdown corner. Mo Claibourne has to deal with his wrist, Brandon Carr is solid but not a number one and Michael Jenkins is disgruntled, the Giants secondary is Terrell Thomas, Prince Amukamara and a FAR worse pair of safeties than we have, and the Iggles have Nnamdi (who was pretty overrated), Brandon Boykin, and DRC.

And Pierre Garcon did this to him DRC.

The most that 90% of football teams can do is ask for two solid corners. Barely anyone has a dude that's shutdown.

NLC, great video and exactly my point. I'd agree with 2 top notch shut down CBs in the league. Hall, Griffin and Wilson is a pretty good three CBs to have and Jackson and Meriweather have a chance to quickly be the best Safety tandem in the East.

The secondary in the East isn't very good, but they all have offenses that score (including us now I hope) and some of the best pass rushers. A secondaries two best friends.

Honestly with the addition of Claiborne to the Cowboys we probably have the worst secondary in the division at this point. Would you actually argue otherwise?

Yes I would. Claiborne is injured and has never played a down in the NFL. The Cowboys signed Carr and Claiborne, but did nothing to improve their safeties. Philly traded Samuel, which is depth and the Giants have alot of good players in the secondary, but were still burned despite having a great front 7. And I already said we were 12th in pass defense despite what we trotted out on Sundays.

Not necessarily, he's better suited for the nickle spot.. but he's not sorry on the outside. BTW, i don't believe the move to nickle is a permanent move.. the plan is to move the DBs around depending on the package.

I think he is close to sorry. lol - if we upgrade at cb next year I believe he will only play in nickel packages ....

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 03:25 PM ----------

Not at all, unless you want to apply the same logic and say that Charles Woodson wasn't good to go in Green Bay...

all charles woodson talk aside - are they not trying to move D-hall into nickel slot while we have wilson and remains to be seen on the outside??? I mean its no secret that our corners are in need of an upgrade - namely hall. If we could upgrade at one corner from hall - than it would be the upgrade and wilson on the outside, the two safeties and the slot guy (hall) would only really play in nickel packages?

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 03:31 PM ----------

No, that's a misunderstanding. Hall is still the starter but when the offense go 3 or 4 wide Hall has been lining up inside on a slot receiver rather than outside. I thinks that's as much because Davis, who is the nickle corner, is much better suited to playing outside to inside personally.

Yes, I agree Hall is our best option on the outside rite now. However what Im saying is if we upgrade the outside - than you would have wilson and the new upgrade on the outside and the two safeties - and hall would play only in nickel packages -............rite now - yes - hall is (probably) better suited to play in the slot - so maybe (hopefully) minnifield, or Barnes, or Griffin will impress enough to make that happen. I mean if Hall was good to go on the outside, and a good man to man guy than I doubt we would be moving him around at all???

all charles woodson talk aside - are they not trying to move D-hall into nickel slot while we have wilson and remains to be seen on the outside??? I mean its no secret that our corners are in need of an upgrade - namely hall. If we could upgrade at one corner from hall - than it would be the upgrade and wilson on the outside, the two safeties and the slot guy (hall) would only really play in nickel packages?

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 03:31 PM ----------

Yes, I agree Hall is our best option on the outside rite now. However what Im saying is if we upgrade the outside - than you would have wilson and the new upgrade on the outside and the two safeties - and hall would play only in nickel packages -............rite now - yes - hall is (probably) better suited to play in the slot - so maybe (hopefully) minnifield, or Barnes, or Griffin will impress enough to make that happen. I mean if Hall was good to go on the outside, and a good man to man guy than I doubt we would be moving him around at all???

That's bull. The best corners can play anywhere; inside, outside, in the slot, nickel, dime, whatever. The Jets put Revis on a teams best receiver regardless of where he's lined up. The point of the article is that all the corners seem to be learning multiple positions on the defense; not just D-Hall. Barnes is learning to play outside as well as at safety, Wilson is learning to play the slot tooo. It's got less to do with moving DeAngelo Hall and more to do with our defensive backs being as versatile as possible.

That's the real point; Raheem Morris wants our defensive backs to play lots of different positions. D-Hall was just giving one example of how he could possibly be used, but the move to the slot isn't, like, some permanent thing. In base defense D-Hall is still going to be the outside corner, just like Woodson is usually the outside corner in base defense.

It's sad how little respect Hall gets from the fanbase.

He is playing nickle, because every player is playing nickle, outside and safety, so we can move guys around and create confusion as well as rotate players regardless of packages.

In a Strong Nickel we will move a safety up, but Josh wilson will be on the outside almost 100 percent of the time he is on the field - the safeties will be back except blitz and strong nickel packages - So Hall is going to move around unless one of our other corners proves better on the outside - than you will not see Hall except in nickel packages and I hope it allows him to be the ultimate ball hawk. Different packages create confusion, not different players playing different positions within those packages - that being said - if wilson and say for the sake of argument Minnifield (who i am pulling for personally) prove better than Hall on the outside than why would you put hall on the outside. I hate to turn this into a D-hall conversation because that is why a new thread was started. Its not a lack of respect - its a weakness - as a cover corner he is a weakness - that is no secret.

In a Strong Nickel we will move a safety up, but Josh wilson will be on the outside almost 100 percent of the time he is on the field - the safeties will be back except blitz and strong nickel packages - So Hall is going to move around unless one of our other corners proves better on the outside - than you will not see Hall except in nickel packages and I hope it allows him to be the ultimate ball hawk. Different packages create confusion, not different players playing different positions within those packages - that being said - if wilson and say for the sake of argument Minnifield (who i am pulling for personally) prove better than Hall on the outside than why would you put hall on the outside. I hate to turn this into a D-hall conversation because that is why a new thread was started. Its not a lack of respect - its a weakness - as a cover corner he is a weakness - that is no secret.

How do you know Wilson would line up outside 100% of the time?

You keep saying the same things over and over again. We keep saying "no, it's not like that, it's like this", and you keep going "yeah, but if we're playing nickel and we find a better guy to play outside that means D-Hall will only play nickel" and that's not how it is.

The point is, Raheem wants ALL of the defensive backs to learn as many positions in the secondary as possible, so you can sub a guy in, rotate someone inside, send someone you wouldn't expect on a blitz, etc., etc.,. Moving people around is not in and of itself an indictment of any player's ability to play multiple spots on the defense.

Thank You. People act like we were just bombed and bombed time and again. We were actually pretty solid as a pass defense considering how little depth, talent and injuries we had. But it's too hard for some to look at a glass half full I guess after years of negativity.

Yes and now we lost both starting safeties, and still lack depth - can we be realistic without being called pessimists? I mean just because we bought 15 d-backs into camp doesnt mean we are going to be better or deeper?

If you are so confident our pass D is going to be good than who are the 4 - 5 starters that are going to assure us of this? They are ALL question marks - this is no secret or redskins bashing - this is the glaring "possible" - i said possible - weakness along with offensive line.

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 04:06 PM ----------

How do you know Wilson would line up outside 100% of the time?

You keep saying the same things over and over again. We keep saying "no, it's not like that, it's like this", and you keep going "yeah, but if we're playing nickel and we find a better guy to play outside that means D-Hall will only play nickel" and that's not how it is.

The point is, Raheem wants ALL of the defensive backs to learn as many positions in the secondary as possible, so you can sub a guy in, rotate someone inside, send someone you wouldn't expect on a blitz, etc., etc.,. Moving people around is not in and of itself an indictment of any player's ability to play multiple spots on the defense.

I say that about Wilson because he is our best cover corner - and just to use an absurd example to get my point across - if we somehow acquired Reevis and Champ - you WOULD NOT see Hall line up on the outside. It is June 6th - your gonna see alot of crazy stuff in camp - come game time your gonna see safeties playing safety, and our BEST COVER CORNERS playing on the outside - why wouldnt you?????????????

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 04:11 PM ----------

That's bull. The best corners can play anywhere; inside, outside, in the slot, nickel, dime, whatever. The Jets put Revis on a teams best receiver regardless of where he's lined up. The point of the article is that all the corners seem to be learning multiple positions on the defense; not just D-Hall. Barnes is learning to play outside as well as at safety, Wilson is learning to play the slot tooo. It's got less to do with moving DeAngelo Hall and more to do with our defensive backs being as versatile as possible.

That's the real point; Raheem Morris wants our defensive backs to play lots of different positions. D-Hall was just giving one example of how he could possibly be used, but the move to the slot isn't, like, some permanent thing. In base defense D-Hall is still going to be the outside corner, just like Woodson is usually the outside corner in base defense.

Because he is trying to figure out where they are best suited - All i am saying is come the regular season it is not going to be musical positions in the backfield (for the most part) of course your best corner will line up with best wr , and move around alittle - Reevis is almost always lined up on the outside - Im not even arguing anything - but I think whats going on in camp rite now is simply your standard tryouts - and barring any injuries when the season starts players will be locked into their strongest positions -

I say that about Wilson because he is our best cover corner - and just to use an absurd example to get my point across - if we somehow acquired Reevis and Champ - you WOULD NOT see Hall line up on the outside. It is June 6th - your gonna see alot of crazy stuff in camp - come game time your gonna see safeties playing safety, and our BEST COVER CORNERS playing on the outside - why wouldnt you?????????????

That's a strawman argument. We're not going to acquire Revis or Champ. And even if I did humor the idea, there's going to be times when Champ or Revis move inside, and that means D-Hall has to play outside. Would it be all the time? No. But would there by times? Yes. Just like their were times when D-Hall played inside this year and Barnes or Westbrook had to play outside; see the Patriots game when D-Hall was covering Welker.

You know what? I'm done humoring you. I get it dude, you hate D-Hall, think he's garbage, just want him replaced. I get it. I'm not about to turn this into another D-Hall thread because you can't grasp a simple concept like "our coach wants guys to be versatile" because you hate D-Hall and think he's a liability and have to search for a reason why something this simple has to be an indictment of him.

And another thing - you say the BEST corners line up anywhere - that is true. Too bad there are only 3 or 4 in the leage that fit that bill and do that. Hall is not one of them - he is best suited in the slot - THAT IS THE POINT - not that he is so great that he can play anywhere!!!!!!!! -

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 04:23 PM ----------

That's a strawman argument. We're not going to acquire Revis or Champ. And even if I did humor the idea, there's going to be times when Champ or Revis move inside, and that means D-Hall has to play outside. Would it be all the time? No. But would there by times? Yes. Just like their were times when D-Hall played inside this year and Barnes or Westbrook had to play outside; see the Patriots game when D-Hall was covering Welker.

You know what? I'm done humoring you. I get it dude, you hate D-Hall, think he's garbage, just want him replaced. I get it. I'm not about to turn this into another D-Hall thread because you can't grasp a simple concept like "our coach wants guys to be versatile" because you hate D-Hall and think he's a liability and have to search for a reason why something this simple has to be an indictment of him.

Think whatever you want. you are wrong - and I am not bashing d- hall - I said he wasnt good enough to play outside consistently - im pretty sure most of the fanbase agrees with me - i think in the slot consistently he could be great - dont generalize so much - its not that black and white - why do i have to hate or love the guy - im a redskins fan - i could care less whose name is on the back of the jersey as long as they help us win. when did i call dhall "garbage" when did i say i want him cut. you want to quote my posts - go ahead, but dont put words in my mouth

So you ignore what Hall, Morris and all the other corners are saying and just focus on Hall who is an above average CB, to make it look like a weakness. Did D Hall bang your girlfriend?

So you ignore what Hall, Morris and all the other corners are saying and just focus on Hall who is an above average CB, to make it look like a weakness. Did D Hall bang your girlfriend?

Your rite dude - Hall is great in man to man, and our pass defense is awesome - and Raheem Morris is a defensive mastermind - all i am saying is that Dhall would be better served playing in the slot and we need to upgrade the outside. - and your 38 years old not 15 act like it and leave this to football talk - you dont have to make it personal

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 04:48 PM ----------

Im referring to our d-backfield as a weakness - D-hall got burned ALOT last year in case you werent watching the games because you were to busy making immature remarks to people on ES. Or maybe you are blinded by your love for d-hall because after he banged my girlfriend he banged you ?

Your rite dude - Hall is great in man to man, and our pass defense is awesome - and Raheem Morris is a defensive mastermind - all i am saying is that Dhall would be better served playing in the slot and we need to upgrade the outside. - and your 38 years old not 15 act like it and leave this to football talk - you dont have to make it personal

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 04:48 PM ----------

Im referring to our d-backfield as a weakness - D-hall got burned ALOT last year in case you werent watching the games because you were to busy making immature remarks to people on ES. Or maybe you are blinded by your love for d-hall because after he banged my girlfriend he banged you ?

It was a joke, because I can't figure out any other reason you'd be so down on Hall. He gets burned, like a lot of other corners and he gambles too much at times. A lot more goes into the performance of a corner, other than the match up.

And "dude" you're 40, it's "right" and "a lot".

It was a joke, because I can't figure out any other reason you'd be so down on Hall. He gets burned, like a lot of other corners and he gambles too much at times. A lot more goes into the performance of a corner, other than the match up.

And "dude" you're 40, it's "right" and "a lot".

im not really concerned about punctuation or grammar - this is a thread on ES not an email to my boss. and AGAIN - why do you assume im SO DOWN on Hall - I think that he is a weakness on the outside - who doesnt? - i didnt say he was horrible - i didnt say he should be cut - i think they need to move him inside and upgrade on the outside - shoot me. i think he could be great playing on the inside consistently. I think he has a good nose for the ball and that is where he would be best suited. you are all over these threads saying the "bad apples" should support the team, and we are haters. please - Im sure in the gameday threads last year you were nothing but supportive. I want them to win - im not here to write nice things about them and pat them on their heads - that is what i do for my kid playing in the pee wee league. These are grown men making millions of dollars on my team - which has let me down for the better part of 20 years - so stop this bologna about optimism - have you enjoyed these "dark years", are you too not sick of drinking the kool - aid in the off season only to throw it up for 16 sundays during the actual season?

im not really concerned about punctuation or grammar - this is a thread on ES not an email to my boss. and AGAIN - why do you assume im SO DOWN on Hall - I think that he is a weakness on the outside - who doesnt? - i didnt say he was horrible - i didnt say he should be cut - i think they need to move him inside and upgrade on the outside - shoot me. i think he could be great playing on the inside consistently. I think he has a good nose for the ball and that is where he would be best suited. you are all over these threads saying the "bad apples" should support the team, and we are haters. please - Im sure in the gameday threads last year you were nothing but supportive. I want them to win - im not here to write nice things about them and pat them on their heads - that is what i do for my kid playing in the pee wee league. These are grown men making millions of dollars on my team - which has let me down for the better part of 20 years - so stop this bologna about optimism - have you enjoyed these "dark years", are you too not sick of drinking the kool - aid in the off season only to throw it up for 16 sundays during the actual season?

I was down on Hall in the GD threads as much as anyone. I will say though I thought and it was argued and pointed out that the Safety play was highly suspect. I think it is obvious Haslett, Shanahan and the FO agreed. Thus they got rid of the safeties and the DB coach. I just wonder how it could be worse than last year? They also have brought in some very interesting prospects and that may go the way of Larry Johnson at RB, I don't know, but I am excited they knew it was a problem and they tried as best as they could to address it. Talib would be interesting, has the talent just needs to straighten out. So as far as the backfield goes, I am at least eyeing the koolaid and thinking of sipping it at this point.

I was down on Hall in the GD threads as much as anyone. I will say though I thought and it was argued and pointed out that the Safety play was highly suspect. I think it is obvious Haslett, Shanahan and the FO agreed. Thus they got rid of the safeties and the DB coach. I just wonder how it could be worse than last year? They also have brought in some very interesting prospects and that may go the way of Larry Johnson at RB, I don't know, but I am excited they knew it was a problem and they tried as best as they could to address it. Talib would be interesting, has the talent just needs to straighten out. So as far as the backfield goes, I am at least eyeing the koolaid and thinking of sipping it at this point.

absolutely agree about the safety play - what a sin because it looked going into last year that it was the strong point. i am very happy that they recognize the problem - letting go of landry was just the rite thing to do - you just never know until the season starts, but regardless of what im being called ( hall hater, pessimist, etc) i also dont think it can be worse than last year. I dont see it being so great that it is not our first priority (along with maybe more o-line help) next year. however, that doesnt mean i dont think we can win - offense should be leaps and bounds better, and defense front 7 is loaded esp with jenkins in the mix- three years of basically the same scheme on both sides, and I think rackers will be our kicker and that he is better than gano. For once though I am going to let the kool aid chill until game time - it tastes better cold.

Yes and now we lost both starting safeties, and still lack depth - can we be realistic without being called pessimists? I mean just because we bought 15 d-backs into camp doesnt mean we are going to be better or deeper?

If you are so confident our pass D is going to be good than who are the 4 - 5 starters that are going to assure us of this? They are ALL question marks - this is no secret or redskins bashing - this is the glaring "possible" - i said possible - weakness along with offensive line

Go back and read my posts. I'm not saying this is an area of strength, I have more of a problem with everyone using adjectives like "abysmal", "terrible", "horrendous" to describe our secondary. I agree with you guys that this is an area of "concern," but I just don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be, That's what I was getting at.

We're modeling our defense like Pittsburghs. Other than Polamalu, the Steelers aren't known for having all-stars in the secondary. Where is their strength? In their front 7. They usually get good NT play and they rely alot on their OLBers to create havoc. Can we be compared to them? Of course not. We still need better NT play and our OLBers are still young. It takes at least 3 years to convert to the 3-4 and to feel comfortable in it. This is year 3.

Archived