Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WashingtonPost.com: Raheem Morris implementing changes in Redskins secondary, ( and other related backfield articles INSIDE)

SWFLSkins

Per TK's post in the failed DeAngelo Hall thread from PFT.

Remember, TK said.....NLC if you or anyone else wants to start a new thread on the WP article with what was actually said, go ahead. Just know, anyone in that one that just spouts off nonsense is getting a boot to the ass

Thought I would take it up since I see NLC hasn't. I think Hall is going to have his best year under Morris and mentioned as much earlier in that thread. Morris worked some magic in Tampa's backfield and the Redskins have some known talent and some unknown talent.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/raheem-morris-implementing-changes-in-redskins-secondary/2012/06/01/gJQAO1106U_blog.html?wprss=rss_football-insider

It doesn’t take long to notice — or hear — a change in the Washington Redskins’ defensive backfield at offseason practices as new secondary coach Raheem Morris barks out instructions and encouragements to his defensive backs.

Morris, hired by the Redskins in January and charged with the task of improving a secondary that produced only 10 interceptions in 2011, also often throws in some trash talk directed at Washington’s receivers.

Cornerback DeAngelo Hall remarked, “I ain’t the loudest one on the defense no more. Raheem probably is. I just love his energy, his coaching style.”

It certainly sounds like we will be playing quite a bit of zone and man under coverage this year. The comments about safeties and corners being more interchangeable is also interesting. I'm not sure though how we are going to use Merriweather as he stunk in a Cover 2 scheme in Chicago, I'd expect to see him in the box and playing short man not deep half or thirds.

Personally I think the secondary will be as good as the front 7 allow them to be - but that's probably the case for every secondary in the NFL. If we can get pressure and hurry QBs we will be fine and having Hall playing the ball and breaking on QBs throwing off their back foot will work out. If QBs can hold it, step up and throw on time it could be a long year for our secondary.

Our secondary does have a lot of potential, but could go either way. Raheem Morris is talented though, which is why we brought him in. Hall is a playmaker in the right circumstances, Wilson hopefully gets more comfortable in our system, Thompson has potential as well, Merriweather has excelled before in right circumstances, same with Jackson and Griffin. Morris' task won't be easy, but he does have specific talent sets to work with, not just scrubs as some would try and have you believe.

The DL did well last season, and this season they grow more comfortable in the 3-4 as they have more experience, and we get Jarvis Jenkins back who hopefully expands on the potential he flashed last season before getting injured. If the DL can grow, then Orakpo can be moved around more to create new pressure, Kerrigan grows as well, and they all make life a lot easier for the secondary.

If RG3 comes out guns blazing and the offense is productive, that too makes life easier for the secondary as the D can blitz more often with a lead.

A lot has to fall in place, but we do have the potential. Morris can certainly cement himself as the new DC if he is successful with the secondary.

I certainly hope Raheem is up to the task because our secondary has the potential to be abysmal this year.

I don't see a marked change between the 2011 secondary and the 2012 secondary. We had abysmal safety play last year, and will problem have below average at best play again this year. The CBs are basically the same personnel top to bottom. And coaching, while I'm not ready to say it will be better, isn't going to be worse.

It was a weakness last year, and will probably be again this year. But I just don't see how/why it is going to be SO much worse than the crap we had last year.

I don't know why, but I'm as excited to see what our secondary can do, as anything else on the team. I really think this unit is going to shine.

I know that all secondary units benefit from all the other aspects of the team and I expect them all to be much improved, but I think they can be special.

I just wonder what would happen if people tried to optimistically look at the secendary. It does have potential to be good. I think just assuming it will suck is a bit silly. Won't be the best probably, but it seems like Morris' strength is to figure out what guys do best and have them do that. We did ok with a D coordinator who did that IIRC.

I just wonder what would happen if people tried to optimistically look at the secendary. It does have potential to be good. I think just assuming it will suck is a bit silly. Won't be the best probably, but it seems like Morris' strength is to figure out what guys do best and have them do that. We did ok with a D coordinator who did that IIRC.

Unfortunately nothing will happen if I look optimistically at the secondary.............and I still cant bend spoons by looking at them either. It is an area of weekness, but Rome was'nt built in a day. Our front seven should help hide its weakness, but we will absolutely need to address both saftey and cb I believe. Lets just hope it doesnt hold us back from what appears to be a promising season -

I think Morris will be beneficial to our group. And while I'm not ready to crown our secondary best in the league, I'm also not prepared to label them as bad as a year ago. The front seven, as some have pointed out, will need to improve to help out our secondary. But we do have some intriguing pieces that could certainly be assessed as upgrades.

Merriweather had some good years in NE, even though he did not play particularly well in Chicago. There could be numerous reasons for that, but I would think it's fair to say we've seen he has ability. Jackson also has a damned good resume, but certainly health is a question mark. C. Griffin is now healthy and has produced for the Vikes before coming here. My point I'm attempting to illustrate is that this group, IMO, cannot really be any worse than the LL/Atowge group from last year. And I believe that our CBs will improve with the new strategies and techniques Morris is implementing me. Hopefully, we will all be pleasantly surprised this year. :D

Truth is this group has potential to be really good. Hall is a playmaker. Wilson looked like our best cover corner towards the end of last season. Barnes was abysmal at times in the slot but I want to see what he can do on the outside. I also got high hopes for Chase Minnifield. Merriweather is a former probowler and has the talent to get back to that level. He played poorly in Chicago but the guy is fairly young. Tanard Jackson is also very talented. If he can stay healthy our safeties should be set. Plus I think Morris is gonna get a lot out of these guys.

Here's to hoping that our line and LBs can generate pressure on the QB to take a little pressure off of our DBs. I'm hoping if Jenkins and Kerrigan stay healthy, we will have a feared rush.

Isnt it a two way street with the db's and front seven. I think that if the qb isnt able to get the ball off quickly (due to poor coverage from the db's) that we would have more sacks - I believe it is on our db's to improve not our front seven.

I certainly hope Raheem is up to the task because our secondary has the potential to be abysmal this year.

The problem with our secondary was with the safety play... Neither Landry or OJ were healthy. And to have Gomes & Doughty starting didn't help at all.. I would assume that the bodies that we've brought in would be an immediate upgrade to both safety spots, not to mention an upgrade to the secondary coaching staff with the addition of Morris over Slowik.

The problem with our secondary was with the safety play... Neither Landry or OJ were healthy. And to have Gomes & Doughty starting didn't help at all.. I would assume that the bodies that we've brought in would be an immediate upgrade to both safety spots, not to mention an upgrade to the secondary coaching staff with the addition of Morris over Slowik.

minus a few games from Josh Wilson our cb's were a problem too. A big one.

Isnt it a two way street with the db's and front seven. I think that if the qb isnt able to get the ball off quickly (due to poor coverage from the db's) that we would have more sacks - I believe it is on our db's to improve not our front seven.

It is in fact a two-way street. I think our front 7, however, is stronger at this point than our DB corps. I suppose it's all speculation, though, at this point!

It's a chicken and egg thing (the words of Dan Graziano during chat today when he was talking about much the same thing). A good pass rush helps the secondary, but a good secondary helps pass rush.

As for the article and our secondary at large, I like what I'm hearing but am cautious. Hall moving inside I like, he should be able to generate a lot of INTs that way and is much better suited for that role. Barnes moving outside I like too, and I hope he takes that next step we haven't seen him take yet. Barnes has the measurables to be a #1 CB, so hopefully that pans out. I'm hoping to hear more on Minnifield, though keeping him off the field might be a good thing if it means he heals right.

Meriweather getting some praise is good, and hopefully he plays at a high level. I haven't heard much on Jackson though, which I would like to.

On the whole, the big problem our secondary is facing is that we have to play within our division, against players like DeSean, Dez, and Nicks. It's tough without a real shutdown corner, and I think that will need to be 1st thing on our shopping list next year, unless Barnes suddenly blows us away. We have a very nice supporting cast, but we're missing our lead actor.

There is only so much a coach can do with the level of talent back there... which is very little. Hall is the best player and he is mediocre at best.

The LB's and DLine better get pressure and Orakpo had better be able to break those constant holds...

I have a bad feeling they are going to be torched all season long.

Much of that is how they worked together and this is the gain I expect to see from Morris.

Well, it was obvious that Morris was brought it because the coaching staff felt that coaching was an issue back there.

I still think safety is a wildcard. I have little confididence in Merriweather and the rest is unknown.

On the whole, the big problem our secondary is facing is that we have to play within our division, against players like DeSean, Dez, and Nicks. It's tough without a real shutdown corner, and I think that will need to be 1st thing on our shopping list next year, unless Barnes suddenly blows us away. We have a very nice supporting cast, but we're missing our lead actor.

There isn't any such thing as a shutdown corner in today's NFL, not with the way the rules are. Best you can do is have good enough coverage and hope your pass rush gets there fast enough to disrupt the play.

Hell, just a realistic view of our secondary would be refreshing.

It's a chicken and egg thing (the words of Dan Graziano during chat today when he was talking about much the same thing). A good pass rush helps the secondary, but a good secondary helps pass rush.

As for the article and our secondary at large, I like what I'm hearing but am cautious. Hall moving inside I like, he should be able to generate a lot of INTs that way and is much better suited for that role. Barnes moving outside I like too, and I hope he takes that next step we haven't seen him take yet. Barnes has the measurables to be a #1 CB, so hopefully that pans out. I'm hoping to hear more on Minnifield, though keeping him off the field might be a good thing if it means he heals right.

Meriweather getting some praise is good, and hopefully he plays at a high level. I haven't heard much on Jackson though, which I would like to.

couldnt agree more - number one on the shopping list - dont think barnes is going to be that lead actor (at all)

---------- Post added June-5th-2012 at 03:11 PM ----------

It is in fact a two-way street. I think our front 7, however, is stronger at this point than our DB corps. I suppose it's all speculation, though, at this point!

I agree 100 percent - the front 7 is absolutely the stronger - in reading your post it seemed you were saying that the front 7 was the weakness - i misunderstood, and dont think you are crazy anymore - lol

minus a few games from Josh Wilson our cb's were a problem too. A big one.

we certainly need an upgrade at the nickle spots... but Josh and Dhall are good to go.. If we can add Talib, with what we already have on the roster and Morris coaching them up, we should be fine.

Archived