Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Getting to know running back Alfred Morris

themurf

7004076928_4de402b407.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

I’m fairly confident that I don’t know a single person who has ever made it a point to sit down and watch the Senior Bowl in it’s entirety. And that’s a shame, because it’s become a bit of a pipeline for the Washington Redskins over the last two seasons.

Two years ago, head coach Mike Shanahan and friends drafted six players who participated in the Senior Bowl — linebacker Ryan Kerrigan, defensive end Jarvis Jenkins, receiver Leonard Hankerson, running back Roy Helu, receiver Niles Paul and defensive lineman Chris Neild.

One year later, the Redskins were at it again — taking three more players from the Senior Bowl. This time around, they selected quarterback Kirk Cousins, linebacker Keenan Robinson and running back Alfred Morris.

For those who aren’t very good at math, that’s nine players in two seasons. Clearly Shanahan sees value in this glorified all-star game.

“Yeah, it really helped us a lot,” Shanahan said of the Senior Bowl. “Any time you’ve got a football team, you get the chance to be around your squad and to be around those players a whole week and get to know them, and also getting to be around other squad for a day. You don’t get to practice with them, but you get to be around them in a different type of environment, that was special for us.”

Out of those nine draft picks, the least known player of the bunch would be Morris. I caught up with him recently to talk about his style of play, growing up a Redskins fan and Shanahan’s track record of turning unknown running backs into stars.

“I’m Alfred Morris and I’m a tough son of a gun,” he said with a smile. “I love contact, so I’m not your typical type of running back. I love hitting people, but that’s probably the old linebacker in me. I’m going to give it my all, no matter if it’s practice or on gameday.”

Okay, that’s how you make a strong first impression with the locals. What was your initial reaction when you learned you’d been drafted by the Redskins?

“I was shocked,” Morris said. “It was kind of surreal because I’m actually a Washington Redskins fan, so I never in a million years thought they would be the ones calling me on draft day. It was definitely a great feeling and I’m definitely going to do everything I can to make this dream come true.”

How nerve-wracking is the entire draft process for a player who is just stuck there waiting for his phone to ring?

“It’s very nerve-wracking because, at first, you’re just excited,” he said. “But the longer you wait, you start to wonder if a call is ever going to come. You start to get anxious a little bit. You get nervous. And then you just try to do things to take your mind off it. You’re just checking your phone every couple of seconds, and I’m glad it’s over. It was a long, long process that started back in December with training and the all-star games. To finally get that call, it was just a big sigh of relief.”

Was it even possible as a Redskins fan to monitor how the team was doing during the draft or were you simply too consumed with the waiting game to expend energy following how their draft was going?

“No, I wasn’t able to. I was so focused on waiting for that call to come in that I wasn’t able to do anything else,” Morris said. “I already knew they were going to get Robert Griffin — that was a given. But I wasn’t able to look at the other draft picks until after everything was over. Then I was able to see who else was coming with me.”

That makes sense. You said you’ve been a fan of the ‘Skins for a while now. Which players were your favorites growing up?

Click here for the full article.

Good questions/quotes in the article. Real soon after he was drafted I watched his highlights and fell in love with this pick. He's certainly not lying about loving contact. This kid is a bowling ball and runs with a lot of heart and determination. I think he'll make the active roster but he's got an uphill battle to earn actual snaps in a game over the other three. I'm very excited to see him in preseason and I bet if he does get the opportunity to start he posts a 100 yard game very similar to Helu and Royster last year.

Good questions/quotes in the article. Real soon after he was drafted I watched his highlights and fell in love with this pick. He's certainly not lying about loving contact. This kid is a bowling ball and runs with a lot of heart and determination. I think he'll make the active roster but he's got an uphill battle to earn actual snaps in a game over the other three. I'm very excited to see him in preseason and I bet if he does get the opportunity to start he posts a 100 yard game very similar to Helu and Royster last year.

First of all, thanks once again for reading my content. It's much appreciated. Now, where were we? I haven't seen many highlight videos of Morris yet. Feel free to post a link or two in this thread so people can see him blow up some defenders. His eyes really did light up when we talked about him not shying away from being physical. I'm definitely looking forward to the first time he blows someone up in the preseason.

First off, I just went straight to the link today. :ols:

Second, all these guys we have brought in the last few years are all seemingly likeable, humble and seem intelligent. They are also excited and happy to be on this team.

It's an exciting time to be a Redskins fan, that's for sure.

First off, I just went straight to the link today. :ols:

Second, all these guys we have brought in the last few years are all seemingly likeable, humble and seem intelligent. They are also excited and happy to be on this team.

It's an exciting time to be a Redskins fan, that's for sure.

I like that I've worn down your defenses and now you've just given up. Thanks for being a part of the discussion. Hail.

I did as well brother.. I really like this kid. I'm rooting for him big time... I like everthing about him from what i've been reading!

I just went and watched some highlights and damn, he makes a cut hard, then hammers through the hole looking for somebody to run over.

Could be the dark horse in the RB battle. I'm putting money on this kid. He has the right moves for a Shanny team, already a Redskin fan and has the right attitude.

Anyone else thinking maybe we carry 4 RB's this year with Morris playing a RB/FB role similar to how Sellers stuck around as a FB/TE?

We lost a spot with carrying Cousins as a #3 but maybe we have a more traditional WR corps (as in not 7-8 guys) and Morris takes Sellers' spot.

Hard to say since he played against inferior competition but I was impressed with his speed/power combo. Perhaps most impressive though is his vision. His highlight reel was fun to watch. Hard not to root for this young man.

Awesome, maybe he can initially be used in short yardage/goalline situations. I would say that that is a big need on this team at the moment. Having a good short yardage back is a great asset, as it also allows us to open up play action/boot legs with our shiny new toy Mr. Griffin III.

Thanks for the article murf and, as usual, great job.

That video a few posts above is not only interesting due to the fact that he's willing to lower his shoulders and hit tacklers head on, but they ran A TON OF STRETCH PLAYS. I have a new found respect for the kid now and think he should fit in our scheme very, very well.

First of all, thanks once again for reading my content. It's much appreciated. Now, where were we? I haven't seen many highlight videos of Morris yet. Feel free to post a link or two in this thread so people can see him blow up some defenders. His eyes really did light up when we talked about him not shying away from being physical. I'm definitely looking forward to the first time he blows someone up in the preseason.

Martytheman posted the highlight video that I watched. And to answer someone else's question, I would be a little surprised if we didn't carry 4 RB's with Morris doubling as a backup FB - he did see some time there in OTA's/rookie minicamp from what I read.

I truly could not care less what level of competition he faced. Is he as likely to break tackles like that against NFL level defenders? Obviously not. But a small well built RB with good vision and quick feet cannot be taught. Neither can the heart and desire he runs with that is obvious when you watch his video - he simply refuses to go down and what's more, he looks to initiate the hit rather than receive it.

I am in no way saying he's on the level of a guy like Sproles or Rice, but I think he fits the mold of that "type" of RB. If we do not put him on the active roster, hopefully he clears waivers and we can put him on the practice squad. Our coaches have been pretty good as of late at gauging other teams' interest before they try to stash a guy. If he is on the practice squad, I fully expect him to be brought on to the active roster at some point this year, whether due to injury, or another team is interested and we bring him up in order to keep him similar to what we did with Aldrick Robinson last year.

Well, as of the reading of this article, I can say that I strongly dislike Alfred Morris. I never got drafted by my favorite team, so "Boo" to him.

haha

Sounds like a good guy, and if Coach Shanahan likes him, so do I. Nice interview, Murph, and welcome to the Redskins, Mr. Morris.

#HTTR

thanks martytheman for the link to the youtube

I noticed a couple of things:

- seems to juke a lot when he gets outside

- love his cuts on the inside

- he won't outrun anyone in the NFL...he probably won't have to, if he gets to the secondary, what corner in their right mind is going to take him head on?

- a lot of the holes that he cut and burst through looked like they were perfectly timed ..I'm guessing that he understood the blocking schemes very well...

- wish there were more clips of his pass blocking skills (the one that they showed of him undercutting the rusher was SICK!!!) Portis was one of the best at that and we've missed that skill set the last couple of years

Hail!!

Just watched the highlight vid and Im impressed. Kid looks to have great vision and break away speed once he hits the hole. And he likes to initiate contact and looks like he secures the ball well. Anyone know if he has/had the case of the fumbles?

16 fumbles in 762 carries at 4.8ypc. Hasn't got breakaway speed but as others have said he will take a toll on the backers and DBs who have to bring him down when he uses his apparently good vision to find the correct hole.

A bruiser at RB to go with some more beef for the OL. We may well be attacking RZ efficiency from pretty much every significant angle there is. Will be interesting to see how it turns out :)

Great series on the new guys again Murph, looks like a good crop at this stage, again.

One of the most underrated training camp battles is gonna be Alfred "The butler" Morris and Tim Hightower for that third running back spot. Either on the roster or the practice squad, Alfred will eventually get some carries for this team

I love Tim Hightower, but part of me wants to see a backfield of a 4th and two 6th round picks from the past two drafts, and somehow, we'll be in the top half in the league in total rushing and YPC

Archived