Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Getting to know running back Alfred Morris

themurf

He seems to possess great balance. He doesn't get knocked off his feet easily. He also seems to have good field vision and a knack for following his downfield blocks. Kinda reminds me of Brandon Jacobs and a former Bronco RB under Mike Shanahan.......Mike Anderson. I could see him paired with Darrell Young in a short yardage package.

*Fact: I’ve never felt older than when I stood in front of 23-year-old Morris as he told me his favorite player growing up was Portis.
LOL, I feel old too since I grew up with Stephen Davis, Skip Hicks, and a little of Terry Allen as my first favorite active backs for the Redskins.

And I'm 23 years old, the same age as he is. :evilg:

Awesome, maybe he can initially be used in short yardage/goalline situations.

That's what I've been hoping, ever since I watched his highlights on draft day.

(But then, I'm always cheering for a short yardage, power, back. My favorite Redskin for the last decade was Rock Cartwright. And I've been convinced for like a decade that we seriously underutilized him.)

I commented on draft day that Rock Cartwright, for his career, was 5 of 5 on 4th down, and was, I think, 16 of 18 on 3rd and short (2 or less). And I would love for this guy to do better.

----------

Murf, loved the article. A real off-season pick-me-up. Thanks a bunch.

The photo surprised me, a bit. After watching his highlights, I expected bigger legs.

Still. You've got me pumped.

---------- Post added May-27th-2012 at 08:01 PM ----------

Martytheman posted the highlight video that I watched. And to answer someone else's question, I would be a little surprised if we didn't carry 4 RB's with Morris doubling as a backup FB - he did see some time there in OTA's/rookie minicamp from what I read.

I truly could not care less what level of competition he faced. Is he as likely to break tackles like that against NFL level defenders? Obviously not. But a small well built RB with good vision and quick feet cannot be taught. Neither can the heart and desire he runs with that is obvious when you watch his video - he simply refuses to go down and what's more, he looks to initiate the hit rather than receive it.

One thing I noticed was that a lot of those hits came in space. Maybe a role for the kid on ST? (I wonder if he can catch kicks/punts?)

Archived