Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: DALY: Redskins hurt by too much time on their hands

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/may/24/daly-redskins-hurt-by-too-much-time-on-their-hands/

Consider how last season was affected by what the Redskins did or didn’t do during the lockout. We’ll start with Chris Cooley, the two-time Pro Bowl tight end. His year was pretty much a waste (eight catches, 65 yards, zero touchdowns, 15 knee drainings) because he had cartilage surgery in January and, left to his own devices for several months, didn’t get proper therapy for it. When Cooley finally was put on injured reserve in October, he called himself “a casualty of the lockout. I think it was a shame,” he added, “that they didn’t let players who had surgeries spend time with the doctors and trainers they trust on a daily basis.”

Of course, you also could argue: Why couldn’t a guy with a $30 million contract figure this out on his own? Heck, Cooley could have bought a rehab facility if he’d wanted to. But let’s table that thought for a moment and replace it with this one: Imagine how differently the struggling offense would have looked if Chris had been totally healthy. He and Fred Davis could have given the Redskins the second-best pair of tight ends in the league (after New England’s breathtaking duo of Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez).

For 12 games, at least. Then Davis would have had to begin his suspension for testing positive for marijuana use. He and Trent Williams, the big left tackle, were two other Casualties of the Lockout. As Fred put it this week: “I guess the lockout kind of made me a little more free with doing that. That’s probably what it was, all that free time.”

[...]Finally, there’s the recent news that Santana Moss, after a 2011 marked by injury and reduced productivity, has pared 15 pounds from his previous playing weight (205). Maybe he was a Casualty of the Lockout, too. Maybe he would have slimmed down sooner if he’d seen, during OTAs and whatnot, that he was no longer the receiver he’d been, that he’d lost that extra gear that made him such a threat.

[...]Actually, one good thing did come out of the 2011 offseason for the Redskins, now that I think about it. Because of what happened with Cooley, Davis, Williams and Moss, they finished 5-11 and, after some finagling, were able to draft the quarterback of their dreams, Robert Griffin III.

So there is that, I suppose.

I do get his point, but these guys are grown man.. they are millionairs... They should be able to rehab and stay away from drugs even without their team/coaches.

Tana should know what it takes to be in shape... i mean he came in 15lbs lighter this year and did this on his own right?

Lets not look at the past or try to find excuses for last season...

Eh, I am of the opposite variety. If anything I was more irritated by Anthony Armstrong catching that pass against Seattle.

5 years from now, the heart breakers of the 2011 season will be seen as a major blessing when we have not only the top QB in the division, but one of the best in all of football

I disagree that Cooley/Davis currently make up the best 2nd best pair to NE... I like the tandem they got in Detroit with Pettigrew and Sheffler.

I will continue to wear my Cooley jersey to games long after he is retired, but unfortunately I just dont think he has anything left.

Have to agree and think its a reach too claim Davis/Cooley would be the second best tandom in the league. Davis has been on a upswing since 2008 while Cooley has been on a downswing, Davis would still be the dominant TE. Rich Campbell was in the podcast this week and its pretty clear at this point Cooley himself needs to regain his confidence in himself as well as figure out if he can get back to a productive player. A fan base believes more in the player than the player does at this point BUT Cooley is working hard so whatever the result is it wont be from a lack of effort and who knows maybe he does surprise some people.

So the best they can come up with today is this? Talking about last year's offseason? I'm cool with that, beats the neverending ROFLfest we had daily with Vinny at the mike.

If there's one attribute I want to see rub off of Griffin here, it's his "ignore the noise" demeanor, do your job and don't worry what the talking heads are yammering about today.

So the best they can come up with today is this? Talking about last year's offseason? I'm cool with that, beats the neverending ROFLfest we had daily with Vinny at the mike.

If there's one attribute I want to see rub off of Griffin here, it's his "ignore the noise" demeanor, do your job and don't worry what the talking heads are yammering about today.

I agree. I think besides the obvious on the field talent benefit, I think the Redskins will benefit the most from Griffin's focused, relaxed attitude.

I do get his point, but these guys are grown man.. they are millionairs... They should be able to rehab and stay away from drugs even without their team/coaches.

Tana should know what it takes to be in shape... i mean he came in 15lbs lighter this year and did this on his own right?

Lets not look at the past or try to find excuses for last season...

I totally agree. This article is crap. They weren't rookies just coming out of college. They all should know how to be pros, especially Moss and Cooley.

The article had to be about sarcasm... Really?? Those guys came up with some poor but down right funny excuses. They are Professional Football Players! If they have to be lead around and told what to do... is there any wonder why we have stunk the place up the last several years? The positive side is ... that was history. We have a lot to look forward to! Not sure what the record will be when all is said and done for the 2012 season...but this I know...we will be fun to watch! Hail!

millionaire football players can be like kids with unlimited money to do whatever they want. They've always been taken care of and need the structure and guidance.

This is sortof like how not everybody is cut out to run their own business or work from home. Some have what it takes, some dont, and you cant bank on the fact that everybody has what it takes.

Archived