Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SBnation.com "Redskins Unveil Throwback Uniforms To Commemorate 80th Anniversary"

I am going to get a RGIII White jersey, and a Slingin Sammy throw back....

Same here... got to get a Slingin' Sammy in these throwbacks.

Totally agree, and I'd be willing to bet 90% (at least) of Skins fans would prefer having true burgundy jerseys over the cherry-red ones we now have.

The throwback jersey burgundy reminds me of the burgundy they used in the 60's

Guest Spearfeather

Ahhh ,,, That issue of Sports Illustrated is dated exactly four months after I was born. My father showed me his copy of it just a few years ago, for the first time.

The redskins originally are from the Boston area before moving to Washington, correct? In fact, the redskins name came to commemorate the "redskins" of the Boston Tea Party. May be wrong not sure.

The Redskins are named such because of two MLB teams. The Redskins started in 1932 playing its home games in the Boston Braves' ballpark. The new football team also took the nickname of it's baseball counterpart, "Braves." (The practice was common at that time. NY Giants named in similar fashion, and the Steelers were once the Pirates.) In 1933, the football Braves moved to Fenway Park. Keeping with the Native American theme, Marshall renamed the team Redskins, since it sounded like Red Sox. I wonder if Marshall had the team start at Fenway for its first season would we be fans of the Washington Red Sox? He did own a laundry business.

I'm guessing they'll wear them on Thanksgiving vs. Dallas, and once at home against either NYG or Philly.

Candidly, they're kinda wonky looking uniforms. But, hey, they're super-old-school; so they're supposed to look kinda wonky. And as others have observed, they look a heck of a lot better than, say, the Steelers' Nike-produced throwbacks, which are dreadful. Having said all that, I love the "Buffalo Nickel" logo on our throwback jerseys' sleeves! That kinda thing should be worked into our current jerseys.

An individual at the Stadium store told me that the throwback jersey will only be available in Griffin III and Orakpo. However, I can't see that being true.

Did they have any idea on the date they'll be available? I can't believe we've made it to pg 11 & no one knows the most important fact - when can we get our hands on them? :)

An individual at the Stadium store told me that the throwback jersey will only be available in Griffin III and Orakpo. However, I can't see that being true.

I don't see how this could be true. If they don't let fans customize and get #33 or get any other player then they have failed.

Did they have any idea on the date they'll be available? I can't believe we've made it to pg 11 & no one knows the most important fact - when can we get our hands on them? :)

She could not give an exact date, just said they would be available in the summer.

---------- Post added May-12th-2012 at 10:18 AM ----------

i don't see how this could be true. If they don't let fans customize and get #33 or get any other player then they have failed.

I totally agree.

---------- Post added May-12th-2012 at 10:19 AM ----------

Too bad they couldn't bring back the longer sleeves on them too...that would be real throwback looking lol.

Agreed. I've said this to friends as well. Even if they don't obviously use them in game situations, if they were available commercially, they'd sell a ton. I'd love that look.

It would be more accurate to say Boston College looks like the Skins throwbacks.

How so? just curious I don't know the history totally...the Redskins came from Boston founded 1932 right? Boston college Eagles football was est in 1892... 1894 the first season I think...but the uniforms then looked more like coveralls or baseball unis than football lol So I'm not sure when or how their colors evolved or the unis.

wikipedia has the update for the unis that will be worn this season with the alt anniversary one

dc55c9d5ec2f1aeb7fc8.jpg

I don't think the uniforms look all that bad. I actually like them, it's nice to have something different every once in a while. They are somewhat simple but all that matters are the wins they get while they have them on. I mean this is the most important thing!

How so? just curious I don't know the history totally...the Redskins came from Boston founded 1932 right? Boston college Eagles football was est in 1892... 1894 the first season I think...but the uniforms then looked more like coveralls or baseball unis than football lol So I'm not sure when or how their colors evolved or the unis.

wikipedia has the update for the unis that will be worn this season with the alt anniversary one

http://media.use.com/images/s_1/dc55c9d5ec2f1aeb7fc8.jpg

Boston College didn't have use this color scheme back in 1937 like the Skins did.

---------- Post added May-14th-2012 at 12:36 PM ----------

This would be my favorite uniform style. The Old original 50's uniform is a nice look also, I'm partial to the Cloth material.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/truncalep/0728_large.jpg

Agreed. I also like the yellow helmet with the R and feather.

Archived