Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MLive: Learn how quarterback Kirk Cousins plans to gain competitive edge with Washington Redskins

skinny21

I don't care how Cousins plans to gain a competitive edge here. This team gave up 3 first rounders and a second rounder for Griffin. This is Griffin's team. Cousins can get a competitive edge somewhere else because there is no competition whatsoever. I do not understand why Cousins was even drafted. It does not help the team at all.

Somewhere on the radio over the weekend I thought I heard that there was a rumor that RG3 was the owners choice and why there was a move to go after him, but that MS really liked Cousins and wanted him. Again just rumors at this point but something I heard.

Look at it this way we got 2 of the QB's out of this yrs draft, one supposedly going to be the frachise and the other that quite possibly could be a franchis if not here some place at some other time. The good news RG3 played in a spread and might take a little time to learn but hopefully he hits it running. Cousins played in a pro style offense and should grasp the system quickly. In either case we should be happy there is a dilema at QB vs. what we had the last 2 yrs.

Somewhere on the radio over the weekend I thought I heard that there was a rumor that RG3 was the owners choice and why there was a move to go after him, but that MS really liked Cousins and wanted him. Again just rumors at this point but something I heard.

Uh, have you ever actually seen Mike Shanahan talk about RG3? He practically glows; can't stop smiling...and he isn't exactly the kind of guy who runs around all day with a smile plastered on his face.

Look at it this way we got 2 of the QB's out of this yrs draft, one supposedly going to be the frachise and the other that quite possibly could be a franchis if not here some place at some other time. The good news RG3 played in a spread and might take a little time to learn but hopefully he hits it running. Cousins played in a pro style offense and should grasp the system quickly. In either case we should be happy there is a dilema at QB vs. what we had the last 2 yrs.

There IS NO dilemma at QB. The only way Cousins sees the field is 1) during preseason, 2) if RG3 gets injured (and Cousins has played himself into the backup role), and 3) RG3 absolutely busts and even after 2 or 3 years can't get it together, at which point Shanahan would be gone anyway...his and RG3's futures are completely intertwined.

I don't care how Cousins plans to gain a competitive edge here. This team gave up 3 first rounders and a second rounder for Griffin. This is Griffin's team. Cousins can get a competitive edge somewhere else because there is no competition whatsoever. I do not understand why Cousins was even drafted. It does not help the team at all.

Cousins didn't choose to be drafted here. Your problem with the FO's choice to draft him has nothing to do with Cousins himself, so drop the negativity. He's doing what he can to get ahead, to compete. Griffin is the man, obviously. That doesn't mean Cousins should be complacent and NOT compete and improve. Get a grip, man. You sound over-protective, here. Griffin will take care of his own business, and be our star QB. Nothing wrong with some competition from a hard-working guy with leadership qualities on the way, though. Especially if he brings great ideas like the one this thread is about to the table.

Obviously, Cousins is going to introduce RGIII to this company. ;)

(serious post)

---------- Post added April-30th-2012 at 04:11 PM ----------

Plenty of people do, I'm sure...but you're probably right when it comes to big time athletes majoring in something like that.

I'm pretty sure that it actually takes quite a bit knowledge to be a personal trainer. And the thing is, he's got the inside scoop on how to work out the right way in his current job.

I respectfully disagree. I don't give a rats butt who is under center as long as we soon get to the SB. If Cousins becomes the man than so be it. As a side note I do want RG III to be our franchise QB tho.

Cousins didn't choose to be drafted here. Your problem with the FO's choice to draft him has nothing to do with Cousins himself, so drop the negativity. He's doing what he can to get ahead, to compete. Griffin is the man, obviously. That doesn't mean Cousins should be complacent and NOT compete and improve. Get a grip, man. You sound over-protective, here. Griffin will take care of his own business, and be our star QB. Nothing wrong with some competition from a hard-working guy with leadership qualities on the way, though. Especially if he brings great ideas like the one this thread is about to the table.

:applause::applause::applause:

Great Post, my thoughts exactly. If Cousins excels, it's a NICE problem to have. This team has been looking for QB's for two decades. I don't see how a 4th rounder can create such a ruckus.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Saturday that the Redskins drafted Kirk Cousins in the fourth round with the intention of "developing" him and trading Cousins for draft picks down the road.

The Cousins pick has drawn media flak due to a phony QB controversy, though Cousins won't even be Robert Griffin III's backup. He'll be a third-stringer, and Rex Grossman will play if Griffin struggles. The Redskins will hope that Cousins' arm gets stronger and he adds some weight while riding the bench. At worst, the Redskins have themselves a potentially quality long-term backup. At best, Cousins will bring back a second-round pick in a few years.

I'd love to get a 2nd in 2014, with us missing our 1st. We could sit tight, draft 2 starters or move up to get a guy in the 1st round that we love.

I don't understand the sniveling err bellyaching.

We potentially can have two young talented QBs that are better than what we have had under center for two decades.

Finally eliminating the annual pining for a difference maker/franchise player under center.

This thread is about how Cousins plans to get a competitive edge with the Washington Redskins. I simply said I don't care how he plans to. Who is he competing with? Grossman? Is that battle really worth a thread? The volume of posts should tell that it's not a very popular topic.

I didn't say he should be complacent. I hope he does develop into good trade value down the line because that's the only good that can come from this situation. He flat-out was not a need and not that great of a QB in college to begin with IMO. So yes, I have a problem with this decision by the FO AND I don't really like Cousins that much as a QB period.

This could possibly be the perfect set-up, if done right.

Cousins and RGIII both are fresh outta college, and both can be joined in a mutual competitive challenge, both pushing each other to be greater and to steadily improve.

The way I see it, if I were a back-up QB on a team, I would much rather have the 'ring' on my finger as opposed to fighting for the starting job. This is something Mike should address to both of them together in a meeting; just tell them 'look, both of you are good QB's and I want both of you on this team, so help each other out, because in the long run a championship makes everyone a winner.'

If one of them gets injured, the absolute best scenario is for the back-up to step in and not miss a beat; yes, this will be hard to accomplish, being their styles may be a little different, but both of them having a mutual understanding without pride or attitude getting in the way will be a benefit for all.

This is a chance for Mike to groom 2 QBs in a different way than usual; get both involved in the starting formations and situations, and teach them both together.

They both look like good smart kids, lets hope that jealousy doesn't creep in...

If you don't know why he was drafted, take a look at last year's playoff teams and their backup quarterbacks.

I'll begin with the obvious: The Super Bowl champion Giants.. they slide in a 9-7, roll thru the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.

David Carr is the backup.

If Eli misses even ONE game, do they make the playoffs at all? What if Carr has to start three games while Eli recovers from a sprained ankle or something? Do they have a ring?

the answer is **** NO. No ring. They have to go with Carr for 2 games, and they're picking 16th or so in the upcoming draft.

The Lions,, down goes fragile Stafford, and in comes big fat useless Shaun Hill. Do they make the playoffs?

the answer is again, **** NO.

The Falcons lose Matt Ryan and Chris Redmon comes in... do they.. ah, well, you know by now.

Here is a bit of homework for you, who admits to not knowing why we drafted a backup QB.

Go to NFL.com and look up the backup QBs on every team.

tell us which ones you would like to have. I'm not trying to be snarky, but in reading the last few days worth of posts on this topic, I think folks are under the impression that there are actually talented backups out there in the league.

There aren't many. They are, by and large, failures. Meatbags who can't play. Guys who instantly turn their team into a loser just by walking into the huddle. Matt Leinart, Josh McCown, Curtis Painter.. these are the guys who roam the league signing on to play second string.

And every team with one of those pieces of **** on their roster are ONE injury away from "see ya next year".

Backup QB is a luxury, but that isn't to say it's a luxury choice. To have one that can play can mean the difference between success and failure.

In 2007 we had one who could play, because he knew the system like the back of his hand. He came in and won 4 in a row to put us in the playoffs.

Last year we go with John Beck, who came in and embarrassed himself and everyone else involved.

So, if you truly don't understand why he was drafted, do some research, Look around at the backup QBs in the NFL, and see how many of them are actually better options than a 4th round rookie.

Do a little more research, and go back over the last 5 years or so and look at how many teams have had a QB that lasts all 16 games. It's not many. A very small handful last all year, and not all of them are 'mobile QBs".

Schaub's not a mobile QB, and it's a damn good things the Texans spent a little time in reviewing their backup position, because it made a lot of difference for them.

This isn't rocket science. The decision is actually very good on a number of levels, especially since other needs had been adressed via free agency, and other draft picks.

Backup Qb is a definite need, even if you have a solid entrenched starter.

~Bang

If you don't know why he was drafted, take a look at last year's playoff teams and their backup quarterbacks.

I'll begin with the obvious: The Super Bowl champion Giants.. they slide in a 9-7, roll thru the playoffs and win the Super Bowl.

David Carr is the backup.

If Eli misses even ONE game, do they make the playoffs at all? What if Carr has to start three games while Eli recovers from a sprained ankle or something? Do they have a ring?

the answer is **** NO. No ring. They have to go with Carr for 2 games, and they're picking 16th or so in the upcoming draft.

The Lions,, down goes fragile Stafford, and in comes big fat useless Shaun Hill. Do they make the playoffs?

the answer is again, **** NO.

The Falcons lose Matt Ryan and Chris Redmon comes in... do they.. ah, well, you know by now.

Here is a bit of homework for you, who admits to not knowing why we drafted a backup QB.

Go to NFL.com and look up the backup QBs on every team.

tell us which ones you would like to have. I'm not trying to be snarky, but in reading the last few days worth of posts on this topic, I think folks are under the impression that there are actually talented backups out there in the league.

There aren't many. They are, by and large, failures. Meatbags who can't play. Guys who instantly turn their team into a loser just by walking into the huddle. Matt Leinart, Josh McCown, Curtis Painter.. these are the guys who roam the league signing on to play second string.

And every team with one of those pieces of **** on their roster are ONE injury away from "see ya next year".

Backup QB is a luxury, but that isn't to say it's a luxury choice. To have one that can play can mean the difference between success and failure.

In 2007 we had one who could play, because he knew the system like the back of his hand. He came in and won 4 in a row to put us in the playoffs.

Last year we go with John Beck, who came in and embarrassed himself and everyone else involved.

So, if you truly don't understand why he was drafted, do some research, Look around at the backup QBs in the NFL, and see how many of them are actually better options than a 4th round rookie.

Do a little more research, and go back over the last 5 years or so and look at how many teams have had a QB that lasts all 16 games. It's not many. A very small handful last all year, and not all of them are 'mobile QBs".

Schaub's not a mobile QB, and it's a damn good things the Texans spent a little time in reviewing their backup position, because it made a lot of difference for them.

This isn't rocket science. The decision is actually very good on a number of levels, especially since other needs had been adressed via free agency, and other draft picks.

~Bang

Spot on as usual, Bang. I, too, was skeptical when we first drafted Cousins, but the more I thought about it and read the various viewpoints, I've come around to the idea that we are truly building a team with a strong foundation that will compete for years. To wit, the work that Cousins is putting in to try and excel at his job (even it is to back up the back up) speaks volumes of his character and the type of guy Shanahan wants on this team.

Whoa, Bang layin' it out...

Not surprised this thread has taken the turn it has, but wasn't what I was quite intending.The title of the article kinda skews things that way I guess, even though he started this in college. Mostly thought it was pretty darn cool for a football to train his brain (in this way). Just makes so much sense, particularly for a QB.

BorntoHail - great point about this being a mark of Cousin's character.

If you don't know why he was drafted...

Typically a backup QB being drafted is a move that is made by a team that is set at every other position. I’d hate to burst your bubble, but realistically this team probably wouldn’t make the playoffs even with RGIII being healthy the whole year.

People just really do seem to ignore the many holes on this team.

I am not comfortable with DeAngelo Hall still being the top guy at CB.

I am not comfortable with Carriker, Bowen, Jenkins and Cofield being the only decent DL on this team.

I am not comfortable with Jamaal Brown being this team’s starting RT.

I am not comfortable with these average safeties.

You can make the case that an injury anywhere on this team can be detrimental. The lions, g-ants, and falcons were all much more talented at positions other than QB last year than the Redskins and they are this year as well. Think about their weapons on offense compared to ours. Think about their defense.

I really hate the giants, but you have to give them credit for have all those injuries and still getting to the playoffs. This team is not that deep and would not be able to copy that.

Cousins likely won’t be able to pass Grossman. Look at his games at MSU…

~Bang

Basically you can' t please some folk.. just a few months ago, we were all talking about Rex needs to go.. he shouldn't even be here as a back up.. .now we draft a back up QB, who as the potential to be better than Rex, now we say "But don't we already have Rex?" ..... SMH... Call me neive but, i would prefer the knowledge of the FO over ES..

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 12:52 PM ----------

Typically a backup QB being drafted is a move that is made by a team that is set at every other position. I’d hate to burst your bubble, but realistically this team probably wouldn’t make the playoffs even with RGIII being healthy the whole year.

People just really do seem to ignore the many holes on this team.

I am not comfortable with DeAngelo Hall still being the top guy at CB.

I am not comfortable with Carriker, Bowen, Jenkins and Cofield being the only decent DL on this team.

I am not comfortable with Jamaal Brown being this team’s starting RT.

I am not comfortable with these average safeties.

You can make the case that an injury anywhere on this team can be detrimental. The lions, g-ants, and falcons were all much more talented at positions other than QB last year than the Redskins and they are this year as well. Think about their weapons on offense compared to ours. Think about their defense.

I really hate the giants, but you have to give them credit for have all those injuries and still getting to the playoffs. This team is not that deep and would not be able to copy that.

Cousins likely won’t be able to pass Grossman. Look at his games at MSU…

Are you comfortable with Rex having to start 3 or 4 games for you in a pinch? Be honest....

^what he said. And I don't mean to 'pile on', skinzwiz, so don't take it that way.

But try looking at it from a different point of view, it might cheer you up:

I'm being overly simplistic here (and a little goofy), but say you (as in 'you', not Shanny) liked both LeRibeus and Gettis. But instead of getting drafted in the 3rd and 5th round, respectively, we took Gettis in the 3rd and LeRibeus in the 5th.

Would you care? If our FO decided to pick in that order for whatever reason, would you mind as long as, at the end of the day, they were both in a Skins uni?

Obviously you aren't happy with the pick. I'm sure you have multiple reasons, but one of those is probably because you simply wanted a different player in that round, a different player that was still on the board at the time. And I can see by the mock in your sig, one of those players you wanted in the 4th was Minnifield.

I'm sure you don't mind that he went undrafted because he's on our team now. So, for the sake of happiness, just pretend we drafted Minnifield in the 4th and picked up a worthless UDFA (Cousins) as a clipboard holder/developmental QB. No harm done.

Feel any better? :D

Basically you can' t please some folk.. just a few months ago, we were all talking about Rex needs to go.. he shouldn't even be here as a back up.. .now we draft a back up QB, who as the potential to be better than Rex, now we say "But don't we already have Rex?" ..... SMH... Call me neive but, i would prefer the knowledge of the FO over ES

That's not true. If you look in the "Draft 2 QBs" thread, a good amount of people were saying Rex would be fine as a backup, and even more people dismissed the idea of drafting 2 QBs this year, especially before round 5.

On a related note, a study was done many years ago where they put basketball players into two groups. One group spent time shooting free throws every day for a week. A second group spent the same amount of time imagining shooting free throws. At the end of the week they all shoot free throws and guess which group showed the most improvement? It was the group that imagined that actually improved the most. The theory is that in your imagination you make every shot and that gives you a feeling that you are good, while those that practiced regularly missed some which cause them to loose that confident feeling. Another theory is that when imagining the shot you imagine with much more mental focus which carries over in actual play being more focused.

I have often wondered what the result would be if a football team spent time in mentally executing plays (with the intention of staying mentally focused throughout the play, blockers putting their hands exactly where you want them with force, footwork and balance executed with precision, seeing the opponent being dominated) and then going out on the practice field with mental focus on repeating what you just accomplished in your mental practice.

I am a believer in mental focus. One time I was visiting my brother in law's family and he asked if I wanted to play some tennis. He played tennis and I had not; but I had watched a program on TV regarding the inner game of tennis. The program said to focus your concentration on watching the racket meet the ball then to follow the ball and note exactly where it landed. To not let emotion of a bad shot distract you from your focus but just to stay focused on watching the ball. The result was he won the first five or so serves; but then my returns began to land inside the court and by the end of the match I had won. He would not believe that I did not play tennis. That same guy (that did the TV show) wrote a book about the inner game of golf which also worked for me. His message was basically the same, stay mentally focused and don't let emotions distract you from staying focused. I went on to practice yoga and meditation which uses the same principles of mental focus with a calm relaxed slow breathing movement.

Well, at least some think Cousins was a steal. According to PFW:

• “I can’t believe someone didn’t take (Michigan State QB) Kirk Cousins sooner. (Washington) took two great shots at getting a quarterback. It was a great CYA (cover-your-ass) pick to bail them out if their first-round pick (Robert Griffin III) does not get it done. We didn’t need one, but I was getting ready to pull (Cousins') card at that price. It wouldn’t surprise me if the fourth-rounder winds up becoming the solution to their problems.”

http://http://www.profootballweekly.com/2012/05/02/insider-cousins-could-be-steal-for-skins

Are you comfortable with Rex having to start 3 or 4 games for you in a pinch? Be honest....
I've been trying to say I'm okay with Grossman in short stretches. 3 to 4 might be pushing it though. I can tell you that from watching Cousins at MSU, I'd feel more comfortable with Grossman period. I guess I really wouldn't have a problem with Cousins if I thought he was decent. He stares down WRs almost like he's decided who to throw to no matter what before the snap and makes a slew of questionable throws.

---------- Post added May-2nd-2012 at 02:06 PM ----------

Basically you can' t please some folk.. just a few months ago, we were all talking about Rex needs to go.. he shouldn't even be here as a back up.. .now we draft a back up QB, who as the potential to be better than Rex, now we say "But don't we already have Rex?" ..... SMH...
**see the comment by IrepDC**

Archived