Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Grade the Redskins 2012 Draft

E-Dog Night

I'm giving the Redskins front office a solid B+. Nice job by Allen & Co. Got good value in places, addressed needs without being desperate about it, brought in competition in the right places, and picked players that fit Shanahan's system.

1) Robert Griffin III: A+ Anytime you get a consensus franchise QB, it's a freakin' A+.

2) Josh LeRibeus: D Not sure about this kid. Had some maturity issues in college and probably would have dropped. Not great value here.

3) Kirk Cousins: B- Lacks certain physical tools and has a very different skill set from RG3, so if he has to come in, the offense has to make changes on the fly. But grooming a QB as a backup/future trade prospect/competitor is never a bad thing.

4) Keenan Robinson: B- Not a big need area at the moment compared to others, but London can't play forever so he might move inside. Butkus Award semifinalist, figures to make the team as a special teamer for now.

5) Adam Gettis: B Solid lineman from Big 10, well suited to ZBS, could start right away.

6) Alfred Morris: C Not terribly gifted but seems like a classic Shanahan one-cut back. Skins had more pressing needs here and could have addressed the secondary with this pick.

7) Tom Compton: B+ Great depth prospect at RT in case Jammal Brown can't stay healthy. Could replace Brown in a couple of years.

8) Richard Crawford: C Could push for a return spot, might not otherwise see the field as a DB anytime soon.

9) Jordan Bernstine: B Good value pick, would have gone higher if not for injuries. Could be a starting safety in 2-3 years.

RG3 A+

"Ribs" was going to be taken by KC, he wouldn't have dropped. Athletic, familiar w/ zone blocking. B

Cousins good back-up, higher value than where we got him B

Keenan Robinson (you forgot him OP) good ILB filling a need, ST value and reportedly good cover skills, has to work on shedding blocks - B

Gettis familiar zone blocker as well, others seem to be high on him, I don't know enough about him personally though, but since he fits the system I'll go B-

Morris good strength compliment to Helu, we needed a 3rd back, not bad for a 6th rounder C+ (hard to give 6th rounders a B or an A)

Compton - athletic, best in a light conference C+

Crawford - decent pick, ST value, a bit slow though D+

Bernstein good ST value also, quick, and has safety value C

Overall an A (mainly for landing RG3), addressing needs w/ talent, especially OL

this is just my impression though, I won't pretend to know enough about the other draftees to try and project their long-term value, save for Cousins who I was familiar w/ pre-draft and feel will be a solid back up to RG3)

Overall I give us a B grade. RG3 was a home run obviously and the three OL, and Robinson were good picks. Cousins is a bit of a headscratcher, good value but we have so many other holes that I don't know if it's worth taking a guy who best case scenario will never play. Not a fan of the Morris pick. Seventh round guys are meh but whatever 99% of seventh rounders are out of the league within a couple years anyway.

Overall B-.

Griffin - B. Hopefully Griffin is our Peyton Manning for the next 10 years. I can't grade that pick an A at this point in time, after all we gave up. Hoping this becomes an A+++ pick in a couple years.

LeRibeus - D. Looks dumb as Claibourne and had academic troubles. Not thrilled about him. Only thing I like is he's an OL.

Cousins - F. We went all in with Griffin. Why burn a valuable 4th rounder on his backup?

Keenan Robinson - A. I like a college 4-3 LB converting to 3-4 ILB. And I thought even with an undersized 3-4 front, shedding blocks wasn't as much as issue for ILBs as OLBs?

Adam Gettis - B. I believe he could be better than LeRibeus. And we need OL. May be too small.

Alfred Morris - D. Guys here tell me we need him. I say just sign Ryan and Hightower to one-year deals for depth, and keep using Cooley as FB/TE. I understand the need for youth but Helu and Royster are on their sophomore year here and Young's only been here for 3!

Tom Compton, Richard Crawford, Jordan Bernstine - Given how well Shanallen have done the last two drafts, I trust these are good picks that will contribute in camp and have a better than average chance to make the team than most late-rounders elsewhere. Call it a B for those guys.

Archived