Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BGO.C.D. - Across the Line of Scrimmage

Tarhog

It's not every day you are fortunate enough to interview a guy who practiced, scrimmaged against, and studied soon-to-be-Redskins QB Robert Griffin III every day at Baylor University. Sincere appreciation to BGO member BUwolverine29, a linebacker for the Baylor Bears who was gracious enough to answer our littany of questions about the guy Redskins fans hope is the future of their franchise

As a linebacker for the Baylor Bears, you spent every practice session trying to defend against Robert Griffin III. What was that like?

Robert is a dynamic player, no doubt. From the linebacker’s perspective, I was always worried about covering my “window” because if I were even one step out of it, Robert would hit the receiver. But what makes Robert such a threat is if I were to cover my window and no other receivers were open, he can just explode out of the pocket for a 4-5 yard gain, and that is huge for an offense.

From a defensive player’s perspective, what makes Griffin a special QB and puts fear into the heart of defenders?

I would pretty much repeat what I said from a linebacker’s perspective. Robert has an awesome arm, and if he has a small window, he can thread it through. However, what separates Robert from other QB’s, other than his running ability, is his touch on the deep ball. I kid you not when I say that everytime Robert threw the ball deep, we expected and almost always had a reception. When you have a QB with all the weapons Robert does, it makes playing defense nearly impossible because we haven’t even mentioned how we are going to stop a dynamic runningback. Defenses who focus on Robert lose, and defenses who don’t focus on Robert lose.

The Redskins haven’t had a true franchise quarterback since Mark Rypien. As the #2 pick, obviously the Redskins believe Griffin is that guy. What did you experience with Griffin (both on and off the field) that leads you to believe he’ll be the kind of quarterback who can carry a franchise?

First off, Robert is a hard worker. He is always competing. Whether in practice, workouts, runs-he wants to win. That hard work is what made him an unstoppable player. When someone’s deep ball accuracy improves from I believe it was 27% to 52% in one offseason, you know that person is a committed, hard-working individual. As far as off the field, he is a great guy. I just had fro-yo (frozen yogurt) with him the other night, and we just talked about life. He is just someone who you love to be around because he is real and engaging. So, all these elements tied into one person make for an unbelievable representative for a football franchise.

What’s Griffin like in the huddle and lockerroom? Is he the gregarious,’yes sir, no sir’ nice guy we see in interviews, a highly competitive and vocal ‘take charge’ leader, or both?

Robert is both. He is (as well as most players at Baylor) respectful of authority and teammates while at the same time carrying an air of authority. From my experience around Robert, he is a vocal leader, but that’s not why players respect him. We respect him because he works his butt off to improve at every single aspect of the game.

NFL fans are locked in a heated debate – is RG3 a ‘run first’ QB who’s likely to take off as soon as the opportunity presents itself, or is he a highly athletic ‘pass first’ QB who can use his feet when he has to?

I think anyone who has watched a Baylor Bears football game could easily answer this question. Robert is, without a doubt, a pass first QB. Just look at the Oklahoma game. When the pocket collapsed, Robert used his feet to extend the play, but he didn’t just take off. He spotted a Terrance Williams in the end zone and made a perfect throw (with a D-lineman in his face) to win the game.

What’s the #1 trait Griffin possesses that will make him successful in the NFL?

His work ethic.

What’s the thing Griffin will have to work on the most to make him successful in the NFL?

I think he will have work on taking sacks. Sometimes Robert is great at this and sometimes he isn’t. He can makes plays with his feet, but his competitiveness sometimes gets the best of him.

In your time with RG3, what was the biggest adversity he faced, and how did he handle it?

Robert tore his ACL in the 2009 season against Northwestern State. I think his resume for the last two seasons explains how well he handled the situation.

The media and fan spotlight on Griffin will be (already is, in fact) incredibly intense. We’ve all heard ‘no pressure, no diamonds’ , but how do you think RG3 handles all those expectations?

I talked to him about this when we were at fro-yo. Basically, he told me this: Some people can’t handle it, and I can see why. It’s tough. It’s demanding. Sometimes it wears me out. But I am enjoying it. This is what I worked hard for all my life.

To read the REST of 'Across the Line of Scrimmage', click HERE

I don't think enough people are recognizing, due to the thread title, that this is an RG3-themed article. Otherwise it would probably have over 1,000 views right now, lol.

That Linebacker was kind of funny though. The entire time he was just showering Griffin with utterly effusive praise. Then, at the end, he only gives him an 88 out of 100 when asked to project his NFL career on a scale 1-100. :ols:

What does it say that I figured what a fro-yo was without you having to tell me?

I guess you don't know enough younger women. They're incapable of speaking in full words. Everything is some cutesified abbreviation: bennies, vacay, cra(z)y, fro-yo, sammies, etc. I'm sure I'm missing a few thousand.

I don't think enough people are recognizing, due to the thread title, that this is an RG3-themed article. Otherwise it would probably have over 1,000 views right now, lol.

That Linebacker was kind of funny though. The entire time he was just showering Griffin with utterly effusive praise. Then, at the end, he only gives him an 88 out of 100 when asked to project his NFL career on a scale 1-100. :ols:

I don't think it's inconsistent submitted. We asked him to rate his entire NFL career. You talk 90/100, you're probably describing a perennial pro bowler and potential Hall of Fame candidate. Stopping short of that kind of prediction, given that all football fans know there are no guarantees and that college stardom does not always translate into NFL glory - well, I think that was just him trying to be realistic.

Personally I thought it made his opinion more valid, the fact that he was trying to speak hgihly of Griffin without going completely ga-ga over him and giving a reasonable assessment. 88 is damn good, no one is 100 ever

Love the "channell your inner Donovan McNabb" angle. Credit to his former teammate for not nosemilking.

This is the part that makes me smile the most...

Robert has an awesome arm, and if he has a small window, he can thread it through. However, what separates Robert from other QB’s, other than his running ability, is his touch on the deep ball. I kid you not when I say that everytime Robert threw the ball deep, we expected and almost always had a reception. When you have a QB with all the weapons Robert does, it makes playing defense nearly impossible because we haven’t even mentioned how we are going to stop a dynamic runningback. Defenses who focus on Robert lose, and defenses who don’t focus on Robert lose.

The last line is sig-worthy, for one thing. The other is how it brings into sharp focus the impact a true passing threat brings to the balance of an offense. If the Skins can at long last threaten defenses downfield again, we may actuallly get to see our offenst go agains "honest" looks from defenses for the first time in a generation. The days of stacked 8-9 man lines daring the QB to beat them week after week may finally be ending.

I don't think it's inconsistent submitted. We asked him to rate his entire NFL career. You talk 90/100, you're probably describing a perennial pro bowler and potential Hall of Fame candidate. Stopping short of that kind of prediction, given that all football fans know there are no guarantees and that college stardom does not always translate into NFL glory - well, I think that was just him trying to be realistic.

Ok... I see what you're saying. :) I was thinking the way he was talking him up he'd end up at something like 92. That'd still be realistic, but if he was thinking once you hit 90 it's HOF material than I totally understand. I wasn't bashing him, though, I just thought it was a little funny. After reading through it all and just being amazed at how highly he was speaking of Griffin I cracked up when he gave him a B at the end because I was fully expecting an A+ grade. That being said, it's tough to predict what happens in the NFL so I understand and I'm not in the least bit concerned about that grade. I guess I should've made it more clear why I thought it was funny. :)

It's probably tough to tread virgin ground when looking at guys like Luck or RG3. What made it meaningful for me is it coming from a guy who played with him every day, in fact - defended against him every day - in practice.

I was a little surprised at the '88' response as well. But again, think that's just a nod to the unknown nature of great college QBs entering the pro ranks...

One thing comes across loud and clear in the interview - these Baylor guys - they ain't dummies :)

Archived