Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.COM Carlos Rogers confirms that Gregg Williams used bounties in D.C.

Gracelander

This is nothing new but I just heard that Mike Shanahan said on pro football talk live that the league spoke to people in the Redskins organization about the time when Gregg Williams was here but that he doesn't know if anything came of it. He also referenced PD and implied that he believed him when he said there wasn't a bounty system here.

• 1 month later...
What I read was that Greg was a great coach and spiff money in meetings were players emotions and Goodell never played pro ball to understand the trash talk.

See, i can agree with a lot, but the 'great coach' part does not stand up to any sort of reality.

Interesting how rogers' comments now directly oppose what he said a few months ago.

In the OP, Carlos goes on about how there WAS money offered for knocking a player out, and now he somehow just can't fathom other players hurting people on purpose for money.

Here's a tip, Carlos.

Shut up. You're contradicting yourself, and making yourself look pretty stupid.

~Bang

See, i can agree with a lot, but the 'great coach' part does not stand up to any sort of reality.

Interesting how rogers' comments now directly oppose what he said a few months ago.

In the OP, Carlos goes on about how there WAS money offered for knocking a player out, and now he somehow just can't fathom other players hurting people on purpose for money.

Here's a tip, Carlos.

Shut up. You're contradicting yourself, and making yourself look pretty stupid.

~Bang

He's admitting that there were bonuses for legally hitting a player so hard he leaves the game. That's a far cry from payments for intentionally injuring an opponent.

It's fairly obvious that he's saying they tried to "hurt" other players to get them out of the game but they didn't try to "injure" them. We all know the difference so its not much of a contradiction.

If anything it just shows how the media can present the same quotes for whatever agenda they have at the time.

He's admitting that there were bonuses for legally hitting a player so hard he leaves the game. That's a far cry from payments for intentionally injuring an opponent.

It's fairly obvious that he's saying they tried to "hurt" other players to get them out of the game but they didn't try to "injure" them. We all know the difference so its not much of a contradiction.

If anything it just shows how the media can present the same quotes for whatever agenda they have at the time.

:bsflag:

What planet are you from? "Hurt" and "injure" mean the same damn thing to all of us.

From Dictionary.Com:

hurt   [hurt] verb, hurt, hurt·ing, noun, adjective

verb (used with object)

1.to cause bodily injury to; injure: He was badly hurt in the accident.

2.to cause bodily pain to or in: The wound still hurts him.

3.to damage or decrease the efficiency of (a material object) by striking, rough use, improper care, etc.: Moths can't hurt this suit because it's mothproof. Dirty oil can hurt a car's engine.

4.to affect adversely; harm: to hurt one's reputation; It wouldn't hurt the lawn if you watered it more often.

5.to cause mental pain to; offend or grieve: She hurt his feelings by not asking him to the party.

in·jure   [in-jer] verb (used with object), in·jured, in·jur·ing.

1.to do or cause harm of any kind to; damage; hurt; impair: to injure one's hand.

2.to do wrong or injustice to.

3.to wound or offend: to injure a friend's feelings.

What planet are you from? "Hurt" and "injure" mean the same damn thing to all of us.

From Dictionary.Com:

Thank you Mr. Webster for that education I am clearly lacking. ;)

Just as your examples shows, words have multiple meanings. When I played lacrosse every time I hit someone I wanted to "hurt" them, as in inflict pain. I wanted it to hurt so bad that the next time there was a ground ball they didn't hustle to it quite as fast because they knew what was coming. I never wanted to injure the opponent.

Through the use of context and common sense it can be deduced that many athletes want to cause physical pain or "hurt" their opponents to distract or demotivate them. That is not that same as attempting to cause an actual injury.

It doesn't take a dictionary to see the difference in the way two similar words are used.

From Dictionary.Com:

I'm not so sure about that.

If you're getting a shot and the doctor says, "this is going to hurt," that's cool. But if the doctor says "this is going to injure you," it seems a lot different.

While the definition may technically be the same, I believe most people associate hurt with a temporary feeling of pain and injury with a long term impact to someone's health.

From Dictionary.Com:

I disagree, hurt and injure are different. If I punch someone in the face it's gonna hurt, if I break their jaw now they're injured and hurting..;)

Only the English language would have words that mean the same but are different at the same time..:silly:

::

From Dictionary.Com:

With respect to sports... and thanks to the movie "The Program"... if you are "hurt" you can still play... if you are "injured" you cannot...

If I get a message, will it hurt at times? Yes. Will it injure me? No.

Thank you Mr. Webster for that education I am clearly lacking. ;)

Just as your examples shows, words have multiple meanings. When I played lacrosse every time I hit someone I wanted to "hurt" them, as in inflict pain. I wanted it to hurt so bad that the next time there was a ground ball they didn't hustle to it quite as fast because they knew what was coming. I never wanted to injure the opponent.

Through the use of context and common sense it can be deduced that many athletes want to cause physical pain or "hurt" their opponents to distract or demotivate them. That is not that same as attempting to cause an actual injury.

It doesn't take a dictionary to see the difference in the way two similar words are used.

The INTENT was to knock players out of the game so they could not compete. For a professional football player, that means you have to hurt/injure the player pretty severely to make that happen. YOU are playing word games.

Let me also add, that to force a player out of a game to gain a competitive advantage is just plain chicken****. If you are going to beat the other team, you want to go with your best against their best. Injuries happen in sports. But to purposely injure/hurt another player is cheating and just wrong. Period.

Hitting your opponent hard is not the same as trying to knock them out of the game. THAT was the purpose of the bounties.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 12:21 PM ----------

With respect to sports... and thanks to the movie "The Program"... if you are "hurt" you can still play... if you are "injured" you cannot...

If I get a message, will it hurt at times? Yes. Will it injure me? No.

BS...players play with "injuries" all the time. The NFL and every other sport calls them "injuries," not "hurts" or "ouchies".

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 12:26 PM ----------

I disagree, hurt and injure are different. If I punch someone in the face it's gonna hurt, if I break their jaw now they're injured and hurting..;)

Only the English language would have words that mean the same but are different at the same time..:silly:

When YOU are recognized as the authority on the English language, then you can write your own dictionary. Until then, Mr Webster and other linguistic experts will be my source.

An interesting perspective from last year and decades past.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/dc-sports-bog/post/drew-pearson-compares-deangelo-hall-to-diron-talbert/2011/09/26/gIQAhd8RzK_blog.html

Drew Pearson compares DeAngelo Hall to Diron Talbert

...If you’re going to try to purposely go after an area of somebody’s body, knowing that area’s injured, you’re probably gonna wind up missing the tackle or not making the play....I don’t think anybody can say ‘Hey, I need to make this tackle, but I need to hit him in the ribs to do it.’ They just want to make the play, and then the extracurricular stuff comes in after that.”

follow link for the whole story.

stone hands strikes again - Demarcus Ware, Aaron Rodgers - just a couple of people we passed on to draft him and his dumb mustache.

:mad:

---------- Post added June-30th-2012 at 12:51 AM ----------

actually I didnt like JC's mustache either - what a horrible waste of two first round picks

Archived