Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Michigan Lottery winner still receiving public aid

MattFancy

This is just another example of how corrupting govt handouts are for people.

Pretty sure most that are were corrupt w/o them.,not much different than those that bilk medicaid billing ect

leaving my door unlocked does not corrupt a honest person.

My wife's great aunt and her husband won the lottery in the 80's. Not a crazy amount. somewhere in the 2-3mil range I'm told. They took it out as annuity payments instead of lump sums. They lived slightly better than they had before. Bought a new house on the water-front. That was their splurge. But it's not a mansion by any sense. It's a 2 bedroom. The lady didn't quit her job. She still went to work. Though they fired her shortly after as they thought she didn't "need" to have a job. Their payment stopped a few years ago. She still has a ****-ton of money in the bank. Enough where she's in her 70's and doesn't need to worry about money for the rest of her life. She used a financial planner. She watches my daughter 3x per week, and pays for 1 week of her pre-school every month. God bless her.

Yeah I saw this previewed on Starting Point on CNN

Interesting

what i find interesting is that everybody in this thread has seen profiles of the same woman on a multitude of different sources...and everyone refers to her as the epitome of what is wrong with our society..... as if she is the standard normal random sampling rather than a very specific outlier that is SPECIFICALLY selected to stir outrage.

what i think is more telling about our society is the demonstrated susceptibility to manipulation of the truly average person (rather than the manufactured "average person)

and this criticism applies to all ends of the political spectrum... people love to see "gotcha moments" that demonstrate what they already "know"

what i find interesting is that everybody in this thread has seen profiles of the same woman on a multitude of different sources...and everyone refers to her as the epitome of what is wrong with our society..... as if she is the standard normal random sampling rather than a very specific outlier that is SPECIFICALLY selected to stir outrage.

what i think is more telling about our society is the demonstrated susceptibility to manipulation of the truly average person (rather than the manufactured "average person)

and this criticism applies to all ends of the political spectrum... people love to see "gotcha moments" that demonstrate what they already "know"

To be fair this was also posted:

Numerous reports have come out that more than half of all lottery winners are bankrupt within 5 years (which is crazy when you think about it). I have no doubt this woman will be one of them.

I heard that same line on the radio the other day on my way in from work. That is a scary though, if true.

To be fair this was also posted:

Numerous reports have come out that more than half of all lottery winners are bankrupt within 5 years (which is crazy when you think about it). I have no doubt this woman will be one of them.

I heard that same line on the radio the other day on my way in from work. That is a scary though, if true.

It's scary but it's probably the truth. If you're banking on becoming rich with the odds the lottery offers, you're probably not going to be smart enough to hold on to that money or better yet, make more money off that money..

Ok, I am an idiot.

While what I quoted was in deed scary, it was not what I meant to quote.

What I meant to quote was the stat that in the US 40-50% of all lottery winners who are on some form of govt aid do not report their winnings/ keep receiving the benes.

Not sure how accurate it is, but if true I find that kind of scary.

State issue, right? In PA our 2010-11 state budget spent 16.1% on "Other Public Welfare and Human Services Programs" out of a total budget of $66.4 B or 6% of our total budget. It's more than appalling because we have been cutting teachers and school staff at a huge rate. The big Kahunas in this area is s"Long-Term living services," clocking in at $4.5 Billion and Medical assistance at $11.5 B.

Michigan is not much different. For their 2013 budget almost 12% of a $54.4 B is slated for Human services.

Ok, I am an idiot.

While what I quoted was in deed scary, it was not what I meant to quote.

What I meant to quote was the stat that in the US 40-50% of all lottery winners who are on some form of govt aid do not report their winnings/ keep receiving the benes.

Not sure how accurate it is, but if true I find that kind of scary.

Just shows how lazy of a society we have become. People always want things handed to them.

That stats I've read about lottery winners losing everything range from 10% to more than 50%, but the reports concede that it's impossible to tell because lottery companies don't release these statistics, and many winners are discreet about their win (so any survey about losers is likely to be heavily biased towards those who didn't understand the need to be discreet, who are also more likely to go bust). The stats also indicate that lottery winners are more likely to get divorced and have falling out with family and friends.

While people of all classes and economic statuses play the lottery, there is (unsurprisingly) a higher percentage amongst low-income and less-educated families, the very people who might blow their winnings as a result of not understanding general finance, tax law, the prudence of saving, recognizing when someone is taking advantage of them, etc.

• 6 months later...

We can call this dolt retarded all we want, but the state (in this case Michigan) should be on the same page with the local government giving out food stamps. Sorta of like how some alarm between the state and local level should be set off when someone gets 3 guns and hundreds of bullets in a very short period of time. Or how federal agencies are supposed to communicate with each other to share info they have with each other to prevent the same terrorist attack they're all trying to stop.

This person got away with the fact that our government on many levels is still inefficient and not on the same page with other levels of government. And she's not the only one doing **** like this...

My stepdaughter just got her WIC decreased because she's making more money. Just having to explain it to a 26-year-old wore me out. "But..." is not what I want to hear.

And I'm a liberal.

The system exists so you can use it when you need it, not when you don't. I've never had to use a public program of any kind. Being a good friend gets you good friends.

I've been told that assests are not used for determining qualifications of welfare. You can own a milliion dollar house outright, be out of a job and collect welfare benefits. I've never researched if it's true, but would be surprised if it is.

I've been told that assests are not used for determining qualifications of welfare. You can own a milliion dollar house outright, be out of a job and collect welfare benefits. I've never researched if it's true, but would be surprised if it is.

Wrong and it depends on the state. I know when I worked for DSS in Florida, your primary home was exempt, although you did had to explain how you paid your bills on zero income. Primary vehicle was exempt also. Any vehicles, bank account balances and properties had to be counted.

ANY type of cash like a lottery, is considered "unearned" income, but can still be counted as a "lump sum" therefore making you ineligble per Florida Food Stamps and Medicaid. But like I said, it varies from state to state.

Archived