Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABClocal.com - Eagles place franchise tag on DeSean Jackson

Champskins

PHILADELPHIA - March 1, 2012 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have placed the franchise tag on wide receiver DeSean Jackson.

Jackson was scheduled to become a free agent on March 13.

"DeSean is a talented player and a proven playmaker in this league and we look forward to him continuing his career in Philadelphia. It's our understanding that he has the same desire. We will continue our efforts on getting a long-term deal done with him," Roseman said. The team's second round draft pick in 2008, Jackson earned a Pro Bowl berth following the 2009 and 2010 seasons as he has hauled in 229 passes for 4,085 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Additionally, he has rushed for three scores during his career as well as posting a team-record four touchdowns on punt returns.

He is one of five players in NFL history to post 900-or-more yards in each of their first four campaigns and has the most receiving yards by any Eagle after their first four seasons in Philadelphia.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/sports/pro/football&id=8565351

---------- Post added March-1st-2012 at 04:42 PM ----------

In essence, the price for WR's in Free Agency will now go up as the player crop decreases

Ya let them keep franchising him. He plays with his heart on his sleeve. He'll play with discontent all year long again. He'll have another up and down season.

Personally, I feel bad for these guys. (I know I know feeling bad for millionaire athletes!!) But seriously, I could not imagine being stuck at a company feeling undervalued and them not wanting to give me what I deserve. At least I could switch companies. He can't switch companies.

Jackson is one of the WRs that is sort of an enigma. He is definitely explosive, and is a threat to take it to the house anytime he touches the ball, but for all the highlight reel plays he seems to be involved, when all is said and done his season numbers don't seem to be overall THAT impressive.

Maybe it is because he has a hard time staying healthy, or that he is sort of a feast or famine type of WR. Seen plenty of games where he will do something crazy like an 80 yd TD catch within the first 5mins of a game, but then finish the game with 3 catches for 100 yards.

Philly is counting on the fact that some knucklehead GM somewhere is going to offer a pick for him. I really hope those days are gone. Hope philly gets stuck with hi and has to pay him a ton of cash for him to be an under productive malcontent all season.

This is not unexpected.

But if Roseman wants to try to trade him after the tag, he'll have a hard time because there are so many free agent wide receivers. Who would want to give up a first rounder for Desean when you can just sign one of the at least 10 wide receivers out there?

Jackson is one of the WRs that is sort of an enigma. He is definitely explosive, and is a threat to take it to the house anytime he touches the ball, but for all the highlight reel plays he seems to be involved, when all is said and done his season numbers don't seem to be overall THAT impressive.

Maybe it is because he has a hard time staying healthy, or that he is sort of a feast or famine type of WR. Seen plenty of games where he will do something crazy like an 80 yd TD catch within the first 5mins of a game, but then finish the game with 3 catches for 100 yards.

possibly because impact players are doubled

possibly because impact players are doubled
He had 4 receiving TD's this year. If that's all he can do because of double teams, is he really that much of an impact player.
Seriously, why didn't the players union try to get rid of the franchise tag?
Because franchise tags only affect a very small percentage of players. 98+% of NFL players will probably never have to worry about getting franchised.

As long as Maclin and Jackson are on the field together, teams can't stack the box against the run. It's no coincidence that Jackson's 4-TD year, his worse, coincides with McCoy's 17-TD, 1300+ yard year. Andy actually used his running back last year.

Do I think D-Jax is worth $9.5 million? Nope. Never. But does he help the run game just by being on the field? Yes he does, just by keeping defenses honest. How many times will defenses put eight in the box with Jackson and Maclin on the field? Not many.

As long as Maclin and Jackson are on the field together, teams can't stack the box against the run. It's no coincidence that Jackson's 4-TD year, his worse, coincides with McCoy's 17-TD, 1300+ yard year. Andy actually used his running back last year.

Do I think D-Jax is worth $9.5 million? Nope. Never. But does he help the run game just by being on the field? Yes he does, just by keeping defenses honest. How many times will defenses put eight in the box with Jackson and Maclin on the field? Not many.

Jackson is a role player. His route tree is severely limited, his blocking is worthless, and he is worthless in the redzone. He could be a top 10 deep threat in the NFL and a great punt returner, but as a receiver the guy lacks a lot. Teams will start putting 8 in the box if Andy commits to the run, and my guess is that Jackson continues to disappear. He's mentally and physically too weak for the NFL. MCcoy is a monster and Peters and Mathis had amazing years.

What if he can't be counted on to run the route?

I think he's plenty happy to take 9.4M. Roseman isn't though. They have to work out a long term deal, and that's on Howie/Banner.

Wes Welker is going to get the tag as well, so it isn't like the Eagles are the only team going through this. But if you want to be gold standard, then you have to get the deal done. (I don't think gold standard is ever going to die, at least not for me, lol)

What if he can't be counted on to run the route?

I would hope that $9.5 mill and the promise of a nice deal from someone would entice him to run the routes correctly. If not, good riddence to him.

---------- Post added March-5th-2012 at 05:51 PM ----------

Wes Welker is going to get the tag as well, so it isn't like the Eagles are the only team going through this. But if you want to be gold standard, then you have to get the deal done. (I don't think gold standard is ever going to die, at least not for me, lol)

Until we get a Lombardi we'll forever be somewhere between the silver and bronze standard. :-(

Archived