Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins twitter - Redskins Re-sign Montgomery, Scott **UPDATEDx2** Salary update on post 97 - Old Montgomery thread

c4man5282

I don't think so, because of age and price tag. I am not saying we definitely won't, nor am I saying it's the worst thing we could do. Just that I wouldn't do it, and I really don't see it as an 'obvious' move.

Age? He's 28, which is still in his prime and centers can play effectively into their mid 30's. As for price, he's only going to be attractive to the ZBS teams and was THE best center in the NFL last year, according to various metrics.

Age? He's 28, which is still in his prime and centers can play effectively into their mid 30's. As for price, he's only going to be attractive to the ZBS teams and was THE best center in the NFL last year, according to various metrics.

He'll be 31 at the beginning of next season. And I guarantee he'll be expensive. 7 mil per year is probably the starting spot for negotiations.

I think what some people forget is that we haven't seen Montgomery's ceiling. This was his first real year as a starter, he did it without an official offseason or even preseason, but he did get sixteen games worth of learning. I fully expect after working with the trainers next year and having digested all that film and work... he can improve.

It was a good first year. Now, get better. Glad to have you back, Will!

Edit: didn't realize he's that old. Still think that he has room to improve. A year's worth of full speed experience and an offseason of hard work and analysis can do nothing but help him.

You're right I was thinking about RG Brisiel. Even at 31, he's worth offering a 2-3 year deal IMO.

I wouldn't, because this team is a couple of years away from serious contention, and now you're giving a guy big money who'll be in his mid 30's by the time we get there.

Use the money on a guy like Grubbs and draft a mid-round C to develop behind Monty. Unless we're high on Satele (but I don't think he's really much better than Montgomery). John Sullivan re-signing mucked everything up.

You're right I was thinking about RG Brisiel. Even at 31, he's worth offering a 2-3 year deal IMO.

Right on target w/you OS. We NEED to sign Meyers. As to the other posters comments, there is no WAY a ZBS OC will get 7mill a year. Not all teams run the type of ZBS that Houston and us do. I'd say a 4 year/22 million dollar contract will have him here. Remember that Wiegman played into his late 30's at OC for Shanahan.

4 years doesn't dictate whether he starts or not. Especially when it probably didn't cost much overall.

IMO it's a good thing to have him on the roster since he's the only healthy option coming back from last year that can actually play center (familiar with the offense and blocking scheme), and they won't be able to address every single weakness on the offensive line in one offseason. I'm much more concerned with RT and LG than I am with Montgomery starting at Center.

Chester wasn't as bad as people claim him to be. Reality we need a RT and LG but if Kory comes back we only need a RT. Trent played at a all pro level after he came back from his injury

What I'd like to see is a pro bowl caliber guard signed so that Monty and Lichtensteiner could compete for the center position. Whoever loses that battle is a quality back up at both guard and center. That is the type of scenario that would vastly improve the interior.

What I'd like to see is a pro bowl caliber guard signed so that Monty and Lichtensteiner could compete for the center position. Whoever loses that battle is a quality back up at both guard and center. That is the type of scenario that would vastly improve the interior.

then why did they just give him a 4 year deal? Grubbs is not a zone blocking guard. maybe zuttah is

Honestly, besides QB, I have no clue what the **** is wrong with our team. The OL seemed to play pretty well for the season, WRs seemed to play pretty well, RBs too. On defense our DBs didn't do well covering, but was it more safety or CB?

I'm tired of the Skins sucking, I hope the FO knows what's REALLY wrong. It seems like our FO thinks something's wrong every year and then we're **** that year too.

I am glad Monty signed up for 4. I thought he did well and wouldn't mind having him on the Skins for good.

Chester wasn't as bad as people claim him to be. Reality we need a RT and LG but if Kory comes back we only need a RT. Trent played at a all pro level after he came back from his injury

Chester was horrible on run blocking. He graded out as one of the worst run blocking guards in the league. Pass blocking was average.

If they want Kory at center, they would've put him in competition for the center position already.

Remember, Kory competed with Casey Rabach all through camp and then through the first two games of the 2010 seasons. I think they've evaluated what Kory can do at the center position, and he carved himself a nice niche at left guard; Kory was really our best lineman before he went down.

It was pretty telling when Casey got banged up with injuries in 2010 and instead of sliding Kory to center and putting Monty in at right guard, they ALWAYS put Monty in at center, and then Monty was pretty much guaranteed the starting job at the start of camp in 2011 without the coaching staff ever inserting Kory in at center.

And I'll agree that Chris Chester gets a lot of unfair crud. Everyone struggles in their first year in the ZBS, and it didn't help that he didn't exactly have a ton of assistance from JB, who is really the only lineman who I think really deserves to get jettison.

Depending on what the money is, I think we're looking at a situation where...come on guys. Hasn't Will Montgomery sort of EARNED the starting job? He played well (in fact, a helluva a lot better) that Casey Rabach every time he was in the line-up in 2010, enough that they gave him the starting nod at center, where he and Chester were the only two guys to be healthy all day. He knows the offense, knows the SCHEME more specifically (seriously, I'm trying to study Denver's playbooks and the blocking schemes in the ZBS make my headspin, and that stuff isn't even completely diagramed the way it comes out on the field)...I think he's sort of earned his job.

But typically, you don't sign a productive guy to a four year contract...only to turn around a sign what could be a more expensive, older player to a four-five year deal, which is what I'm going to guess Myers is going to ask for.

I mean, that's what Vinny would do.

But given that the first two moves of this offseason have been 1.) to give Phillip Daniels a great role in our organization and possibly retain him to become a coach and 2.) resigned a smart, hard working, mostly productive player to what is likely to be a smart, well written deal, and last season, I think it's fair to say Vinny's era is over.

If they want Kory at center, they would've put him in competition for the center position already.

Remember, Kory competed with Casey Rabach all through camp and then through the first two games of the 2010 seasons. I think they've evaluated what Kory can do at the center position, and he carved himself a nice niche at left guard; Kory was really our best lineman before he went down.

It was pretty telling when Casey got banged up with injuries in 2010 and instead of sliding Kory to center and putting Monty in at right guard, they ALWAYS put Monty in at center, and then Monty was pretty much guaranteed the starting job at the start of camp in 2011 without the coaching staff ever inserting Kory in at center.

And I'll agree that Chris Chester gets a lot of unfair crud. Everyone struggles in their first year in the ZBS, and it didn't help that he didn't exactly have a ton of assistance from JB, who is really the only lineman who I think really deserves to get jettison.

Depending on what the money is, I think we're looking at a situation where...come on guys. Hasn't Will Montgomery sort of EARNED the starting job? He played well (in fact, a helluva a lot better) that Casey Rabach every time he was in the line-up in 2010, enough that they gave him the starting nod at center, where he and Chester were the only two guys to be healthy all day. He knows the offense, knows the SCHEME more specifically (seriously, I'm trying to study Denver's playbooks and the blocking schemes in the ZBS make my headspin, and that stuff isn't even completely diagramed the way it comes out on the field)...I think he's sort of earned his job.

But typically, you don't sign a productive guy to a four year contract...only to turn around a sign what could be a more expensive, older player to a four-five year deal, which is what I'm going to guess Myers is going to ask for.

I mean, that's what Vinny would do.

But given that the first two moves of this offseason have been 1.) to give Phillip Daniels a great role in our organization and possibly retain him to become a coach and 2.) resigned a smart, hard working, mostly productive player to what is likely to be a smart, well written deal, and last season, I think it's fair to say Vinny's era is over.

So what players do you see filling out the LG and RT positions?

---------- Post added February-25th-2012 at 11:37 PM ----------

Brisiel is in fact 28 years old and is perfect for this scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/player/mikebrisiel/2506672/profile

He's played RG in Houston and our needs are C and LG. Not sure if we'd sign him and ask him to swich sides, but I doubt it. Zuttah is the best zone player on the market - for this offense, I'd take him over Grubbs or Nicks. Problem is, JSteelz said last week that he won't get out of Tampa.

So what players do you see filling out the LG and RT positions?

Well first, I think we have to see where Kory's at healthwise. Is he going to be able to come into camp, be heathy, work himself back into what Shanny calls "football shape" and be as effective as he was this season.

I don't really like the free agency class at guard at the top end; either too expensive, too old, or both. So at that point it becomes trying to draft a guard like Lucas Nix or Ryan Miller, get a guy like Samson Satele and/or Jeremy Zuttah in free agency and open it up to open competition between Kory, the rook, and the free agent, with Hurt in the mix there too if Kory's not 100 percent. You get quality depth out of it, you create competition. Seems like a good deal to me.

At right tackle, the class of guys is even lamer. Honestly, it might be a thing where JB sticks around and dukes it out with Tyler Polumbus just because there aren't a whole lot of options in free agency. In the draft, I like Matt Reynolds, Nate Potter and liked the way Mitchell Schwartz moved at the Combine. But free agency BLOWS for tackles.

But that's how I'd do it. If it was me.

Archived