Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GB Packers beat reporter tweets that he expects Matt Flynn to be Franchise Tagged (EDIT: NOW NOT SO MUCH)

Oldskool

I disagree completely If Holmgren wants him he has two first rd. picks he will only have to give up one for him and wont have to go into a free agent money bidding war. Then the Browns will have there QB and not have another first rd. pick for a trade up.

I doubt anyone will give up a first rounder for Flynn. Even after years of hype by ESPN, the Eagles weren't able to get a first for Kolb (who at that point played in more games than Flynn had). It would be really interesting if they tag him and then can't find a team to trade him to. Eating that $14 million would be hard to swallow.

I really dont see how they can do that. He will be making somthing like 6 mil more than Rodgers. Plus the intent of the tag is to be used to assist in signing a guy. Not to tag and trade. A guy i listen to a lot and really respect as a writer (Andrew Brandt) and who worked for the Packers organization said the packer would not do that.

Thats the intent of the franchise tag and there is even language supposedly in this new CBA that prevents teams from using the tag has a handcuff so that a player cannot "escape" through free agency. However, it seems that this is being disregarded or completely ignored and that tag is being used as it was before. I follow Brandt on twitter and am kind of anxious to hear his take on this.

I really dont see how they can do that. He will be making somthing like 6 mil more than Rodgers. Plus the intent of the tag is to be used to assist in signing a guy. Not to tag and trade. A guy i listen to a lot and really respect as a writer (Andrew Brandt) and who worked for the Packers organization said the packer would not do that.

I heard the same thing from Brandt, he did say that mentioning that Thompson would tag and trade even though it's not illegal but that it goes against the spirit of the rule

Why are these teams trying to copy everything the Patriots do? You seriously want to risk paying your 7th round, 3 career starts, backup QB 14 million? Crazy. Go ahead Packers, you bunch of dumbasses. And the worse part is, some team will bite and pay them the draft picks.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2012 at 10:03 AM ----------

If we select Russel Wilson at the end of the 1st round, Mike Shanahan should be fired on the spot

At the end of the 5th round, sure

When I see posts like those, I chalk it up to idiot college homers. He probably went to NC State or Wisconsin and Russell Wilson is "da bomb" to him

one thing i'm puzzled about is, when he gets traded, isnt the other team on the hook for his contract? if so, who on earth is going to pay flynn top 5 qb money? how does that work?

If you're a rebuilding team with a lot of cap space, then it's not really an issue because it's only one year and then you can sign him to a new, reasonable contract after that.

I see Manning to Jets...Sanchez going to Seattle...if you trust Minnesota then

Miami is the team set to be the lynch pin..watch them be accused of outbidding themselves

Manning will not go to the Jets. Their locker room is a mess and thats the last thing that he wants. Sanchez cannot be traded due to the prohibitive cap hit that the Jets would take.

Seems like a really bad move on the Packers part. The NFL could really screw the Pack's cap if they don't bite. Flynn would probably be really resentful for not getting his chance if a deal isn't made and it could have a terrible impact on team chemistry.

That's silly.

A. He's not going to be on the team. Someone will bite - even if it's just a second round pick. There are 15 good QBs in football and 32 teams.

B. Even in the unlikely event he stays on the team, a backup QB is not going to screw up team chemistry. And if he does, the team was in trouble to begin with.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2012 at 12:22 PM ----------

Absolutely. He shouldn't give it a 2nd thought, he won't get this type of money on the open market

You don't think he will get a 5-year deal with at least that much in a signing bonus? Matt Cassell got $28 million guaranteed three years ago.

I would rather get the money and long-term security. Signing a one-year deal is almost always a bad move.

Thats the intent of the franchise tag and there is even language supposedly in this new CBA that prevents teams from using the tag has a handcuff so that a player cannot "escape" through free agency. However, it seems that this is being disregarded or completely ignored and that tag is being used as it was before. I follow Brandt on twitter and am kind of anxious to hear his take on this.

Hes talking about it right now on twitter.

Andrew Brandt @adbrandt

Re Flynn questions, "spirit" of the Tag is to Tag and sign, not Tag and trade. But not expressly prohibited. All changing nature of Tag.

Andrew Brandt @adbrandt

With Matt Cassel Tag and trade, Patriots had cover of Tom Brady rehab from season-ending injury. Obviously not case w/Packers.

i believe youre not supposed to tag with the intent of trading. that's apparently the rule.

i dont think teams actually tag with the intent of trading. i think they tag players because it generally benefits them money-wise while allowing another year to get a long term deal done. its like a rental.

it was brought up before, but, supposedly new england was allowed to franchise cassel cuz brady was injured, so there was a supposed legit reason for them to do it.

i'd be a little surprised if GB is allowed to do this, as its a clear violation of the rule, especially considering flynn would be making more than rodgers.

one thing i'm puzzled about is, when he gets traded, isnt the other team on the hook for his contract? if so, who on earth is going to pay flynn top 5 qb money? how does that work?

I'd say history shows that about 1/3 of the tags were actually made so that the player could be traded. Our own Champ was an example.

If I recall the language in the CBA, it really doesn't define what would indicate intent thus intent can really only judged on a case by case basis. Only way intent then could be judged would be if the parties in to the specific question had an issue and brought it up in a legal dispute.

To anyone suggesting Flynn to the Browns means RG3 to Seattle, you're failing to take into account that the Rams play in the same division as Seattle. Why would they want to trade a potential franchise QB to a division rival? That would never happen unless a.) Seattle got absolutely fleeced into trading 5 or 6 draft picks for the #2 overall pick, or b.) Jeff Fisher and the Rams think that poorly of RG3's potential.

I don't see either happening. If Flynn goes to Cleveland, the only things I could see preventing us trading up for RG3 are signing Manning (not likely) or the Dolphins offering a better package than us (less likely).

Here's my current prediction of how everything is going to shake down:

Peyton to Miami

Flynn to Cleveland

RG3 to Washington

JC to Seattle (lol)

i

That's not how it works. The franchise tag is not a contract. And it can be lifted as soon as a new deal is signed.

As soon as Flynn is traded, he will immediately sign a new deal - probably something like Cassel's. No team is going to make that deal without an agreement that he will sign long-term with them.

Peyton to Miami

Flynn to Cleveland

RG3 to Washington

JC to Seattle (lol)

Rumor on twitter from Browns beat writers is that the Brownies have zero interest in Flynn. Its either stick with Colt or get RG3.

Not good for us and bad move by the Packers.

I think they are vastly overestimating the interest in Flynn. They will be screwed if no one is willing to trade picks for him. Of which there are only 5 potential teams.

This effectively removes an easy grab FA QB. Which puts more pressure on the draft.

That's silly.

A. He's not going to be on the team. Someone will bite - even if it's just a second round pick. There are 15 good QBs in football and 32 teams.

B. Even in the unlikely event he stays on the team' date=' a backup QB is not going to screw up team chemistry. And if he does, the team was in trouble to begin with.

---------- Post added February-23rd-2012 at 12:22 PM ----------

You don't think he will get a 5-year deal with at least that much in a signing bonus? Matt Cassell got $28 million guaranteed three years ago.

I would rather get the money and long-term security. Signing a one-year deal is almost always a bad move.

This. There WILL be a market for Flynn. You franchise him to get trade assets. If it absolutely backfires, then can withdraw the tag (like Philly did w/ Trotter) and watch Flynn walk. But that does not do much other than clog cap space. I believe cutting Clifton and Driver clears enough space

But let's be honest here. Charlie Whitehurst got a 3rd rounder. AJ Feeley netted a 2nd. There will be demand for Flynn.

Manning will not go to the Jets. Their locker room is a mess and thats the last thing that he wants. Sanchez cannot be traded due to the prohibitive cap hit that the Jets would take.
actually the Jets pick up 9,5 million in cap space beyond the over 5 million in dead money...that is why there has been speculation and scrutiny ever since they missed the playoffs ...how many votes of confidence pertaining to Sanchez have we seen?...there is another today from the Jets GM

Peyton to Miami

Flynn to Cleveland

RG3 to Washington

JC to Seattle (lol)

Peyton to Arizona

Flynn to Miami

RG3 to Washington

Campbell to Cleveland (vet they want to give Colt competition)

Seattle has Jackson and Whitehurst and gave up a ton of picks for Whitehurst.

Matt Flynn - QB - Packers

The Green Bay Press-Gazette considers the franchise tag a "real possibility" for free agent Matt Flynn after Jermichael Finley signed a two-year contract.

An NFL executive confirmed the league doesn't strongly discourage the tag-and-trade practice even if it's against the spirit of the rule. The risk for the Packers isn't finding a trade partner so much as finding a team willing to surrender an early-round pick as well as the up-front money to assuage Flynn, who would collect $14.4 million under the franchise tag. Matt Cassel had 15 NFL starts under his belt when the Chiefs acquired him for a second-round pick and a six-year, $63 million contract. Flynn has only two.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette Feb 23 - 10:20 PM

---------- Post added February-24th-2012 at 07:07 AM ----------

actually the Jets pick up 9,5 million in cap space beyond the over 5 million in dead money...that is why there has been speculation and scrutiny ever since they missed the playoffs ...how many votes of confidence pertaining to Sanchez have we seen?...there is another today from the Jets GM

Even with 9.5M freed up, that is nowhere near enough money to take a hit on the cap like that, especially if they are now only about 11M under the cap, have to resign their NT, make a play in FA for an OLB, sign draft picks, etc.

To further illustrate my point: http://nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

His 2011 Salary Cap # is $17,228,125.

Wouldn't Flynn to the Seahawks make the most sense? Luck is not in play, Seattle does not really have the ammo to trade to #2 (and I doubt St. louis would want to help them anyway). And I really doubt Manning wants to go there. Which means Flynn is their only real option.

I doubt anyone will give up a first rounder for Flynn. Even after years of hype by ESPN, the Eagles weren't able to get a first for Kolb (who at that point played in more games than Flynn had). It would be really interesting if they tag him and then can't find a team to trade him to. Eating that $14 million would be hard to swallow.

The eagles got a young, starting CB and a 2nd rounder. not too shabby for someone that never really looked all that good.

Matt Flynn - QB - Packers

The Green Bay Press-Gazette considers the franchise tag a "real possibility" for free agent Matt Flynn after Jermichael Finley signed a two-year contract.

An NFL executive confirmed the league doesn't strongly discourage the tag-and-trade practice even if it's against the spirit of the rule. The risk for the Packers isn't finding a trade partner so much as finding a team willing to surrender an early-round pick as well as the up-front money to assuage Flynn, who would collect $14.4 million under the franchise tag. Matt Cassel had 15 NFL starts under his belt when the Chiefs acquired him for a second-round pick and a six-year, $63 million contract. Flynn has only two.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette Feb 23 - 10:20 PM

---------- Post added February-24th-2012 at 07:07 AM ----------

Even with 9.5M freed up, that is nowhere near enough money to take a hit on the cap like that, especially if they are now only about 11M under the cap, have to resign their NT, make a play in FA for an OLB, sign draft picks, etc.

To further illustrate my point: http://nyjetscap.com/marksanchez.html

His 2011 Salary Cap # is $17,228,125.

I agree...after thinking about it ...the Jets think they can go to a Super Bowl and have come so close ....

but it makes you wonder if they feel they are only a Qb away from doing so?...

Archived