Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GB Packers beat reporter tweets that he expects Matt Flynn to be Franchise Tagged (EDIT: NOW NOT SO MUCH)

Oldskool

Good. That should hopefully end the rumours of him coming here.

Hail.

He's gone somewhere though GHH, they are not keeping two starting salary's on the team.

---------- Post added February-26th-2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

NFLN ticker is now saying they aren't likely to franchise him for a trade.

makes more sense, why tie up a contract as a condition to trade?

I am not sure how to respond. That could be the dumbest thing I have EVER heard. Plainly....your an idiot for posting such garbage
Which post is this response aimed at? Seriously, I have no idea where this post came from.

Flynn is not going to be franchised, and that will help our cause, I hope.

I am not sure how to respond. That could be the dumbest thing I have EVER heard. Plainly....your an idiot for posting such garbage

Just so you know....no one knows who you are talking about. If you are going to start calling people an idiot, at least let everyone know who the idiot is so he / she can make sure you get properly put back in your place....

Matt Flynn - QB - Packers

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel is no longer confident that the Packers will use the franchise tag on free agent QB Matt Flynn.

Flynn's $14.4 million salary under the tag would guarantee as soon as he signs it, leaving GM Ted Thompson's hands tied unless he already has a trade worked out prior to the start of the league year on March 13. Flynn will likely draw a compensatory pick at the end of the third round, so the risk may not be worth the reward for the possibility of a second- or third-round pick from a team such as the Browns or Dolphins.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Mar 1 - 6:55 PM

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/141107473.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Green Bay - The more you look at the risk involved, the more you wonder whether it's advisable for Packers GM Ted Thompson to place the franchise tag on backup QB Matt Flynn.

If Thompson doesn't have an ironclad (but under the table) agreement with another club to sign and trade Flynn, the risk factor in franchising him anyway is well beyond television reality series proportions.

Here's what I found out about the scenario where Thompson puts the tag on Flynn and then doesn't find a buyer for his services.

As soon as Flynn signs the tender offer - which he would do in a New York minute - he is guaranteed the full (estimated) $14.4 million. It would be paid over the course of the 17 weeks of the 2012 season if he stays with the Packers.

The prohibition on trades ends at the same time free agency and the new league year begin - 3 p.m. March 13 -- and so no matter what, the Packers need to have enough salary cap space to take on the $14.4 million, even if it were for just an hour or two until the trade papers were sent to the league office.

If Thompson rolls the dice and franchises Flynn without having a deal in place, he probably would be handcuffed from doing any other business until someone deals for Flynn. It could take weeks for someone to realize Flynn is their best option.

If for some reason he can't get a deal done, his hands are tied and the $14.4 million is stuck on his cap for this season. The only way it wouldn't would be if Flynn negotiated a long-term deal with the Packers that would lessen the cap hit, but why would he do that? He wants to be a starting quarterback and that won't happen as long as Aaron Rodgers is around.

OK, so why not just release Flynn and get rid of the contract?

Well, it is guaranteed and that means if the Packers cut him, the $14.4 million stays on their cap.

Even if he is released and signs with another club, the entire $14.4 million must be paid to him by the Packers and it must count against their cap in 2012. There would be no offset with the salary he receives from another team.

The feeling I get from around the league is that there are too many other options for team's to rush into giving up a high draft choice for Flynn. There are arguably three first-round quarterbacks in the draft plus a couple of other intriguing prospects, not to mention the possibility of Peyton Manning being available.

So maybe you sit back and take your chances that the Packers are going to let Flynn hit the market. If he does, you bid for him; if he doesn't you consider one of the quarterbacks in the draft.

The one team I could see making a deal for Flynn is Cleveland, which is rumored to be interested in moving up to the No. 2 spot to select Baylor's Robert Griffin III. The problem with that is it's going to cost them both of their first-round picks to get up there.

They might be willing to give up a second-round pick for Flynn. Philadelphia got a 2012 second-round pick and CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie from Arizona for unproven Kevin Kolb, which kind of sets the market.

But Cleveland may be leery of giving up that much given Kolb didn't pan out.

The only way Thompson wins is if he gets a third-round pick or higher because if Flynn is allowed to hit free agency, the Packers would probably be in line to get a compensatory pick at the end of the third round in 2013. So not only does he need a trade partner, he needs someone to give him at least a third.

As I've said before, the Flynn interest might be more media generated than team generated. We'll just have to see about thatt.

I have no doubt in my mind Thompson would do a sign-and-trade if the right deal were presented even though it skirts the spirit of the franchise rule. He did it in '09 with Corey Williams and he would do it again with Flynn.

There's just a lot of risk involved.

For the fran tag it is...idk about the other ones.

ALL tags had to be done today by 1pm PST. If a player wasn't tagged by then, the team has from now until March 13th to make a deal with them before they either hit the market as UFA's or do their RFA business.

Archived