Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Breaking down film of Luck, Griffin III and Tannehill

themurf

I think the talent around him was pretty decent, all things considered. Ryan Swope is one HELL of a slot receiver, he had two big receivers on the outside (even though Jeff Fuller took a step back this season), a pretty solid offensive line, Cyrus Gray was great running the ball for them. I think the only real issue they had was defensively.

I wouldn't call him Jake Locker. They have different skillsets. Locker LEGIT didn't have a whole lot of talent around him outside of Chris Polk until he senior season. I don't think you can honestly say Tannehill didn't have anything around him.

OK, fair enough.

But what about the QB skill sets?

Locker was a starting QB for much longer obviously and had more experience. Tannehill still is learning the position, so maybe he just needs time to develop (which we don't have).

I don't know what to think about this guy. His reviews seem to be all over the place based on my recollection, so that alone generates some doubt to me.

None will come close to Kendall Wright's draft position.

So 1 Kendall Wright is = to having 5 NFL players at the skill positions? Im just saying if I have a toolbox with a hammer, a saw, a screwdriver, a drill and a level, I can make a whole lot better table than the guy who only has a hammer. But if the guy with the hammer can make a table just as good as the guy with the full toolbox, who's the true craftsman? RGIII just had the hammer, Tannehill had the full toolbox

To me, Luck is a long shot, RG3 is a real possibility via trading up and I hope we sign him. Tannehill is the 3rd best rated QB in this draft. If we don't get one of Luck or RG3, you have to draft Tannehill at #6. Yes, this is higher than he should be drafted but I don't think you get another shot at him by trading down. Let him sit and learn behind a vet, hopefully a healty PM or average KO.

So 1 Kendall Wright is = to having 5 NFL players at the skill positions? Im just saying if I have a toolbox with a hammer, a saw, a screwdriver, a drill and a level, I can make a whole lot better table than the guy who only has a hammer. But if the guy with the hammer can make a table just as good as the guy with the full toolbox, who's the true craftsman? RGIII just had the hammer, Tannehill had the full toolbox

Great comparison... How can I argue with that?

To me, Luck is a long shot, RG3 is a real possibility via trading up and I hope we sign him. Tannehill is the 3rd best rated QB in this draft. If we don't get one of Luck or RG3, you have to draft Tannehill at #6. Yes, this is higher than he should be drafted but I don't think you get another shot at him by trading down. Let him sit and learn behind a vet, hopefully a healty PM or average KO.

No you don't take Campbell 2.0 at #6. You let someone else take him, because 6 is way too high. If no Griffin the best move is wait and take Weeden later.

No you don't take Campbell 2.0 at #6. You let someone else take him, because 6 is way too high. If no Griffin the best move is wait and take Weeden later.

I agree to disagree.:) Weeden's age is a concern to me and maybe not others. He will need time to develop just like Tannehill. JMO as you have yours.:)

He's an athletic black quarterback, obviously he's going to get injured!

Never mind that most QB injuries are INSIDE the pocket.

Also, he is not 6'1, and 220 is not small for a QB. The ACL is a minor concern, but that was 2009 - he's been perfectly fine ever since.

Some people are just in denial, Imperium.

It's gonna happen.

Murf writes an article and all of a sudden it's "See!...we can't trade up for RG3"

or...Ahhhh...See..he got hurt in 2009, so he's just like Michael Vick...won't ever finish a season for us...can't do it"

When the facts are this....

Griffin got hurt in 2009

**Griffin sat out for the remainder of the 2009 season after sustaining an isolated tear to his ACL in the first half of the third game and his third start of his sophomore year.

In those 3 games he did play, He went 45/69 for 65.2% completion.

4 TD's & 0 INT's.

27 rush attempts for 77 yards & 2 TD's.

This was as a Sophomore.

All other 3 seasons he played, he had a combined (fresh, Junior & sen. years)AVERAGE

363 Pass Attempts & 244 Completions for 67.2%

3,197 Yards passing & 24.3 TD's & 5.7 INT's

161 Rush attempts for 707.3 yards & 10 TD's. (4.4 ypc)

He accounted for 11,736 yards of total Offense in those 3 seasons alone.

He even had a Punt for 59 yards the year he was hurt in 2009.

He even had a catch for 15 yards in 2011 & a catch for 19 yards in 2009.

If the dude could play D-back, he would be a modernized black Sammy Baugh coming out of College. Dude is a freak. They're even both the same Height...lol :laugh:

Not Murf, no article, not anybody on this board is going to convince me, that Tannehill is the better QB here.

The Only QB in the same League as RG3 is Andrew Luck & if I had the #1 pick like the Colts...I wouldn't take Luck...

It would be RG3. But Luck would be a heck, of a consolation prize as well.

:point2sky

If Tannehill is drafted at 6, I don't know what will become of this place.

I'm thinking this:

nuclear_meltdown.jpg

I agree to disagree.:) Weeden's age is a concern to me and maybe not others. He will need time to develop just like Tannehill. JMO as you have yours.:)

The age is a concern, but I have read a few scouting reports from the Senior Bowl that said he picked up the system really well under Mike and Kyle. Plus you don't have to waste a first on him. What do you see from Tannehill that makes you want to draft him #6. Besides he just happens to be the 3rd ranked QB, which if Brakley and Jones declared he would have been the 5th best and not drafted until the 2nd or 3rd. Weeden could start half way through the season. You sign Orton, try to trade up for RG3. If the trade up fails or you are beat by the Browns the next plan is target Weeden, not Tannehill, who is way overvalued.

I guess I don't see anything beyond another Jason Campbell. We have been down that road before.

Basically, the tl;dr version of what's wrong with Tannehill is:

- Poor decision-making and mediocre accuracy, especially deep

- Struggles to make plays when pressured

- Played average to horrible against the best teams on his schedule, while only getting sacked 12 times despite throwing 530 times, and having a really good OL (12 sacks on 530 attempts in a drop-back passing offense) and good skill position players (None of them are individually as good as Wright, but they have legitimate NFL talent everywhere).

He LOOKS the part, especially since the pro-experience gives him a leg up in terms of fundamentals, but there's stuff that he does or doesn't do on the field (that RGIII does) that give you pause. And no matter how you look at it, unless a guy clearly doesn't have an NFL skillset, production matters, and Tannehill just didn't have it against the good teams on the schedule. RGIII threw nearly as many TDs against the ranked teams on his schedule as Tannehill did against against his entire schedule outside Baylor, Idaho and SMU, and Tannehill is playing with NFL players (granted guys in the 3rd-5th round range) while Griffin is not.

For those wondering, I'm still very much in favor of drafting Robert Griffin III. But I don't pretend to have all of the answers and I'm not trying to make everyone else agree with my stance on topics like this, so I reached out to someone I respect and asked him to provide his thoughts on the top quarterbacks in the draft. If nothing else, I figured it would spark a healthy debate. And honestly, after hearing Matt's thoughts on Tannehill, I'm not nearly as terrified of the guy as I was a week ago. Still not sure he's anything better than Jason Campbell (i.e. - the "best of the rest" in a draft with two top-tier quarterbacks), but at least one guy who does this for a living believes he'd thrive in this offense.

Great stuff, Murf. Thanks for posting.

For the record, I don't see it taking nearly what people think to move up to number two. Teams will just wait for Tannehill instead of giving up too much. Do not be surprised if St. Louis just stays put.

And I can see a scenario when RG3 is there for us at six. I know, I know, I'm insane.

Great stuff, Murf. Thanks for posting.

For the record, I don't see it taking nearly what people think to move up to number two. Teams will just wait for Tannehill instead of giving up too much. Do not be surprised if St. Louis just stays put.

And I can see a scenario when RG3 is there for us at six. I know, I know, I'm insane.

I think Fisher wants something and unless Blackmon or Kalil blow them completely away, they will jump for a second or third. To 6? Why not if you can pick up that 3rd or better yet a 2nd.

argh, lets draft a QB who played WR because he couldn't beat out 2 other players ahead of him at QB but played well when given a chance...no thanks

You could also say that the 2 guys that beat him out have not had good or even decent pro careers (yet).

It's funny, I basically think of Ryan Tannehill as Jason Campbell. He's solid, but unspectacular. I haven't ever been blown away by what I've seen of him either, so it was interesting to get Matt's take.

I'm like you guys. There is no WOW factor. Kind of like Campbell, but I believe Tannehill will be a better QB than Jason.

I think Fisher wants something and unless Blackmon or Kalil blow them completely away, they will jump for a second or third. To 6? Why not if you can pick up that 3rd or better yet a 2nd.

Exactly. The idea of us having to give up multiple high picks to move up to get RG3... well, I just don't see it.

I am not sold on Griffin, but I am in the "maybe" category. That being said, I would love to have him here (not as much as I would love having Luck, no matter what we had to trade to get him) But I am not sold on Tannehil. Does anyone think he looks even remotely as good as Blaine Gabbert did coming out? And look where Gabbert is now... he is crappy.

This may or may not be the right spot to post this, but has anyone been looking into Brock Osweiler from Arizona St? The guy is a MONSTER (6'7 or 6'8 depending where you look) and has surprising athletic skills considering he is a former basketball player. Also, from watching video of him, his arm seems to be pretty strong. His throwing motion is a little "unorthodox" like Philip Rivers, but he gets the ball where it needs to go when it needs to get there. I also saw him making TONS of quick throws, which seems to me would be a good fit in a west coast system. With his potential, anyone think he would be a good fit here??

A3: Tannehill has bad decision-making at times, especially under pressure, and his deep ball is average or worse. Overall, I find his accuracy to be pretty inconsistent. You can find tape where he looks really accurate, and tape where he does not.

I agree with this part. In the article he says that Griffin is "More Careless" with the ball, yet he threw less interceptions than Tennehill.

but has anyone been looking into Brock Osweiler from Arizona St? The guy is a MONSTER (6'7 or 6'8 depending where you look) and has surprising athletic skills considering he is a former basketball player. Also, from watching video of him, his arm seems to be pretty strong. His throwing motion is a little "unorthodox" like Philip Rivers, but he gets the ball where it needs to go when it needs to get there. I also saw him making TONS of quick throws, which seems to me would be a good fit in a west coast system. With his potential, anyone think he would be a good fit here??

The tease. I went to ASU and I live a few minutes away from campus. Saw just about every game he played. I would take him as an undrafted free agent, at best. Horrible accuracy and not good with game management. Has physical potential, but nothing comes easy for him. Just not a natural QB. He is big and athletic, but he doesn't have the presence or moxie... basically he has zero "it" factor.

This is the game that he's leaving in everyone's minds as he's declaring early. He was in a pass happy offense and took advantage of inflated stats and is declaring. He will not be missed.

It's very difficult for me to pick between RGIII and Tannehill. Honestly, Matt Barkley was the guy I wanted, and a part of me still wants to wait till next year for him but a lot can change in a year.

RGIII has a great arm, great work ethic, and great athleticism. I like all of those but there are obvious downsides to those, particularly with the athleticism part.

Yes, he has great work ethic but what if grasping certain NFL skills (taking snaps under center, pocket passing, etc.) don't ever come? He can work on them all he wants, but at the end of the day if he doesn't get good at it he doesn't get good at it. He plays football a certain way and if we start trying to change it, does that hurt him? I always get concerned when we start talking about teaching a rookie a new skill. Tebow got a new throwing motion but still completes less then 50% of his throws and the offense suffers because of it. Yeah he can get better, but what if he doesn't?

The athleticism concerns me because, as the article says, Michael Vick type athleticism. We're always talking about Vick being hurt or how he is going to get hurt. Major concern there for me. Also, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Matt Hasleback had better seasons then Vick this year. Let's not pretend that Vicks MVP Caliber 2010 makes him elite.

If given the choice between RGIII and Tannehill, I'd pick RGIII. The "wow" factor is just to big to ignore. But I don't want to trade up for him if the price tag is to high or we're (meaning the front office) not 150% sold on him.

Does anyone think he looks even remotely as good as Blaine Gabbert did coming out? And look where Gabbert is now... he is crappy.

I have questions about Tannehill, but I still can't believe how overhyped Gabbert was. He wasn't that good in college. Maybe it was that blond mane that wowed scouts.

I would draft Kellen Moore at #39 in the 2nd OVER Tannehill @#6.

...and I'm serious:mad:

And that would be just as bad, when Moore is not slated anywhere near the 2nd round.

When I watched that video, the one thing I found with RGIII was that, if anything, he was dropping too fast. That was something that Kyle Shanahan talked about on Brian Billick's Chalk Talk. Young quarterbacks (particularly guys coming out of the spread) drop so fast, trying to get back from center, that it screws up the timing and getting those guys on balance. It's a matter of getting those guys to slow down a little bit, almost like on your last couple steps in your drop you have to...not really hesitate, but take a moment to gather yourself to get in a good position to throw.

A matter of the game slowing down for them. Trent Williams said the game slowed WAY down from year 1 to year 2. (Or he could have just been high):ols:

He's not Michael Vick.

Michael Vick was run first. There was no doubt about him being run first. He was always run first. Hell, that part of him still lingers.

The only things Vick and Griffin have in common are 1.) that they're black quarterbacks and 2.) they run fast. RGIII's not as dynamic a runner as Vick with the make you miss, Vick wasn't as polished a passer as Griffin is. Attitude wise, skillset wise, arm strength wise, IQ wise, work ethic wise, they're different.

But Griffin's black and runs fast and Vick's black and runs fast so the two keep getting smashed together even though they're different prospects.

Archived