Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Twitter: Mayock on the Redskins, draft, QBs, etc, yadda yadda

Califan007 The Constipated

Mayock says fourth-best QB is probably Oklahoma State's Weeden, who is 28.

The more I see of Weeden, the more I like. I am surprised he is not getting more interest from QB needy teams. The only reason he is rated so low is his age, but it is not like he is over the hill. He is 28, not 38.

I think Weeden has the potenetial to be the steal of the draft.

For one thing, his 2011 numbers compare to RG3 and Luck.

Weeden: 408/564, 72.3%, 4727 yards, 37 TDs, 13 INTs

RG3: 291/402, 72.4%, 4293 yards, 37 TDs, 6 INTs

Luck: 288/404, 71.3%, 3517 yards, 37 TDs, 10 INTs

For another thing, Weeden's Oklahoma State squad beat both Luck's Stanford team and RG3's Baylor team head-to-head this past season. For the record, this is how those head-to-head matches played out on the stat sheet:

Baylor v Oklahoma State:

Weeden: 24/36, 274 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs

RG3: 33/50, 425 yards, 1 TD, 2 INTs

Baylor v Stanford:

Weeden: 29/42, 399 yards, 3 TDs, 1 INT

Luck: 27/31, 347 yards, 2 TDs, 1 INT

Count me among the few who would love to see us draft Brandon Weeden. I would even go so far as to say that if it were not for Weeden's age, he would be mentioned in the same breath as Luck and RG3.

is he any good? I want an elite franchise QB. i was thinking Vick, Manning and Romo sits to pee are all over 30, we draft a young QB when he is hitting his prime, all those QB are going to be retiring and the teams are going to be looking for new QB's and we should then dominate the division for many years

He could be. Mayock seems like him but thinks he needs to improve on his decision making. Sometimes he holds onto the bal for too long. But that's something that is fixable.

Mayock says Tannehill "has everything you want... size, arm-strength, mobility" could go first round. But does hold onto ball too long.

Size...arm strength...some mobility....holds onto the ball too long. Sounds like Ben Roethlisberger to me, who isn't exactly fleet but has good pocket presence and can run a little bit when necessary.

And wouldn't you know, Roethlisberger was QB#3 in his draft, the afterthought behind the "sure thing" in Eli Manning and the "high upside guy" in Philip Rivers. Maybe Tannehill is our Roethlisberger in waiting. Maybe I want to slap myself for speculating because it's going on in every other thread. :ols:

Tannehill may be a low 1st rounder, but who would be the 4th to go in the 1st and who would take him?

Foles is probably in the top 4 somewhere. I see Tannehill as the 3rd guy and Foles as the 4th although you could make a case for Weedon at the same kind of level. As to who take the 3rd and 4th guys I could easily see us taking Tannehill buy only if we trade back quite a bit. Not sure who Foles would project to.

if we want Tannehill, i don't think we can trade down, Miami, Seattle want QB's and they pick a few picks after us, get a good back up in FA (Manning and his neck surgeries make me nervous), pick Tannehill #6, start him opening day and develop him and in a year or two we will have a really good QB who will be here for a decade

The more I see of Weeden, the more I like. I am surprised he is not getting more interest from QB needy teams. The only reason he is rated so low is his age, but it is not like he is over the hill. He is 28, not 38.

I think Weeden has the potenetial to be the steal of the draft.

For one thing, his 2011 numbers compare to RG3 and Luck.

Weeden: 408/564, 72.3%, 37 TDs, 13 INTs

RG3: 291/402, 72.4%, 37 TDs, 6 INTs

Luck: 288/404, 71.3%, 37 TDs, 10 INTs

For another thing, Weeden's Oklahoma State squad beat both Luck's Stanford team and RG3's Baylor team head-to-head this past season.

Count me among the few who would love to see us draft Brandon Weeden.

I like Weeden's ability to make NFL throws but watching him this season, his consistency and the fact that he had Blackmon to toy defenses with makes me ehhh on how he does with our receivers

Size...arm strength...some mobility....holds onto the ball too long. Sounds like Ben Roethlisberger to me, who isn't exactly fleet but has good pocket presence and can run a little bit when necessary.

And wouldn't you know, Roethlisberger was QB#3 in his draft, the afterthought behind the "sure thing" in Eli Manning and the "high upside guy" in Philip Rivers. Maybe Tannehill is our Roethlisberger in waiting. Maybe I want to slap myself for speculating because it's going on in every other thread. :ols:

Some mobility? Tannehill is very mobile - he played as a receiver for 2 years and has excellent speed for a QB and is very athletic as well. He is several notches below RGIII in that respect but he still would grade very well in terms of his athletic ability.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 05:46 PM ----------

if we want Tannehill, i don't think we can trade down, Miami, Seattle want QB's and they pick a few picks after us, get a good back up in FA (Manning and his neck surgeries make me nervous), pick Tannehill #6, start him opening day and develop him and in a year or two we will have a really good QB who will be here for a decade

6 is way high for Tannehill IMO and he is very raw. You never know until you get him in camp and see how he does but I think counting on him to play this year is a stretch.

I have a question about trading up during a draft. Does it happen on the day, like, live on the clock, better hurry, immediate phone calls, offer, counter offer, or do talks happen beforehand? For instance, come draft day, will the Redskins already know if they can trade up with St. Loius or will they simply have their strategy/offer ready and take it all as it comes? I'm not trying to take the thread in a different direction, I was just curious about this as I read this discussion about these QBs and trading up (or not) on draft day..

I think we could trade back to #9 or so and maybe gain an extra pick or 2 should they go that route

i don't think you'll get much for dropping from 6 to 9.

plus it's not that easy to just trade back... it all depends on whos on the board at 6 and who wants that player.. if anyone is even willing to trade up to get him.

our best bet to trade back would be if Blackmon was still there at 6.. but then most here would probably call us stupid for not taking him.

Mike Mayock has the best job in the world. He is probably 45% right on everything he says and 45% wrong on everything he says. The other 10% comes from him being completely wrong and throwing out phrases like "You know, I didn't want to say anything but I thought the (insert NFL team here) would pick him. Or you know I didn't think he was a (insert round drafted here) pick, but I knew he was something special.

The more I think about, the more I think we go Tannehill at 6 if RG3 we can't get RG3. Cutler wasn't expected to go as high as he did, but Shanny felt that was the right pick.

Does anyone remember where Tannehill was rated before Jones and Barkley dropped out?

I do. It was the 2nd round. Which is about right because as he is now the kid is a turnover machine who floats deep balls, makes poor decisions, and does a few other things I am not comfortable having my QB do.

Simply put, drafting a QB like Tannehill SHOULDN'T be done in the 1st round, but we all know that doesn't happen, but there is no way that he's worth a 6. Never. Comparing Tannehill to Cutler is just flat out wrong, and furthermore, Cutler went at 11, which is 5 spots down from 6.

The line of reasoning you're using is the same one we used when acquiring Campbell. "We need a dude, but the other dudes are gone, so let's just grab this guy, even if it's a FULL ROUND EARLY on the off chance someone snags him." Of course, in the aftermath of that decision, we went on to win 4 straight Superbowls and Campbell is a lock for the HOF.

Oh wait...

I have a question about trading up during a draft. Does it happen on the day, like, live on the clock, better hurry, immediate phone calls, offer, counter offer, or do talks happen beforehand? For instance, come draft day, will the Redskins already know if they can trade up with St. Loius or will they simply have their strategy/offer ready and take it all as it comes? I'm not trying to take the thread in a different direction, I was just curious about this as I read this discussion about these QBs and trading up (or not) on draft day..

I think trades involving picks can happen as soon as the league year starts, but generally decisions aren't finalized until draft day. I imagine that, considering that everyone and their Grandma knows that something is happening with that #2 pick, St. Louis will probably talk with us and other suitors before the draft, and everyone will have a general idea of what's happening the day of, though I imagine that if one team suddenly sweetened the pot significantly when they hit the clock, it might lead to some serious shuffling and phone tag.

I have a question about trading up during a draft. Does it happen on the day, like, live on the clock, better hurry, immediate phone calls, offer, counter offer, or do talks happen beforehand? ..

on some occasions deals are made pre-draft.. but it's not often. more often might just be a secret handshake that no one knows about but isn't set it stone either.

I would expect that any pre-draft deal is being done because it's part of a larger 3 way trade or something like that.

Archived