Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Twitter: Mayock on the Redskins, draft, QBs, etc, yadda yadda

Califan007 The Constipated

Not sure if this should go into another thread or not...anyway, here are some Twitter thingamajigs that summarize what Mayock is currently saying about the draft and the Redskins:

@MikeJonesWaPo:

Getting ready for pre-combine conference call with @MayockMike. Guy's a wealth of knowledge.

NFL network's @MayockMike says a lot of questions about many WRs and CBs the draft.

#Redskins could need help at left guard. Mayock says a lot of quality interior linemen available.

On Flynn, Mayock says history shows mixed results on backup QBs that have gone on to become quality starters after free agency.

Mayock sounds as if he has lots of questions on Matt Flynn because of his limited tape. This is along the lines of what others have said.

Mayock says Griffin is one of the most exciting players in this draft.

Mayock says there is some risk with Griffin, however. "Could be really special. But could not be as well."

Well_duh-150x135.jpg

Mayock doesn't think Luck is "in the Peyton Manning mold, but I think he's close." doesn't call Luck once-in-a-lifetime QB as some have.

Mayock says Tannehill "has everything you want... size, arm-strength, mobility" could go first round. But does hold onto ball too long

Mayock says like Ponder and Locker, who went higher than expected last year, Tannehill (despite broken foot) could go first round.

Mayock says fourth-best QB is probably Oklahoma State's Weeden, who is 28.

Mayock says "I love everything about" RGIII. Only problem he sees is "he doesn't throw with anticipation."

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 12:42 PM ----------

Mayock likes how RGIII initially looks to stay in pocket and make plays downfield rather than take off running.

http://twitter.com/#!/MikeJonesWaPo

http://twitter.com/#!/granthpaulsen

I really think there will be 4 QB's in the 1st round this year.

I will be shocked if Tannehill doens't go in the first. Unless he has a terrible pro-day or something.

He's already been ruled out of the combine because of his broken foot. It's possible he misses everything, senior bowl, combine and pro-days/workout before the draft.

I have to think that will affect his draft status negatively.

I really think there will be 4 QB's in the 1st round this year.

I will be shocked if Tannehill doens't go in the first. Unless he has a terrible pro-day or something.

I don't see Tannehill dropping out of the top 20. Teams like the Dolphins, Seahawks, and Cardinals need a QB. Plus you have the wildcards like the Bills and Jets who might have some temptation to go QB.

---------- Post added February-15th-2012 at 03:50 PM ----------

Tannehill may be a low 1st rounder, but who would be the 4th to go in the 1st and who would take him?

It's possible the Seahawks take Tannehill at #12 and Cleveland might take a QB like Weeden with their 2nd 1st rounder at #22 overall.

I always respect Mayock's opinion over anybody elses when it comes to analysts simply because the man has played and he completely understands the game of football. So no to Matt Flynn does not shock me coming from Mayock as Flynn has not done remotely enough to warrant a starting job.

Mayock says there is some risk with Griffin, however. "Could be really special. But could not be as well."

WTF kind of comment is that. It could be attached to any and all players in the draft. Dude, pick a side. I really like reading Mayocks stuff, but this comment is a boggle

grantpaulsen:

Mayock on RyanTannehill: "He's got size, arm strength, he's a really good athlete. Big, strong, fast kid." Says he doesnt 'anticipate' well.

Mike Mayock says Ryan Tannehill is a first round pick who could go higher than expected, linking him to Locker & Ponder in the 2011 draft.

Mike Mayock said Ryan Tannehill hesitates before throwing sometimes and makes mistakes into coverage. Common problem w/ college prospects.

Surprised by this. RT @josephperson: Mayock says S. Car. WR Alshon Jeffery not in his top 4 WRs. Expects him to come to combine around 220.

Mike Mayock loves the DT position in this year's #NFLDraft. He's got 1st round grades on 5-7 defensive tackles and thinks 5 will go 1st RD.

Mike Mayock sees #Georiga OT Cordy Glenn as a right tackle. I liked him at the senior bowl. Thinks Mike Adams is a LT, could go late-1st.

Mike Mayock on Trent Richardson: Last guy he liked this much was Adrian Peterson. Thinks he can run for 1200 yards as a rookie.

Mike Mayock says if the #Rams can get the #Browns' 4th and 22nd picks in the first round .. they should do that trade to move the 2nd pick.

Tannehill may be a low 1st rounder, but who would be the 4th to go in the 1st and who would take him?

Well, if you believe Russ Lande, we'll be trading back into the first for Brandon Weedon.

If you don't then I'd have to guess Nick Foles, or mayyyyybbbbbbeeee Weedon. I suppose we can throw Osweiler in there too, but I feel like he's gonna drop, unless some team really likes him. I don't know who the 4th team would be though, maybe Miami or Seattle jumps back into the 1st to snag one of the guys?

I could imagine it going like this. 1st is Luck #1, RGIII to us at #2ish, Tannehill is gone by 22 (if he's still there, he gets snagged by CLE on their 2nd pick), and then Miami or Seattle jumps up to grab Foles or Weedon. Holmgren, if he's not done with McCoy, might use that #22 pick on a guy he feels can compete with McCoy, but won't completely upstage him. Competition making him better and all that rap and jazz.

If CLE trades up and we trade back for Tannehill, it's similar.

Now, if CLE trades up, and we don't trade back for Tannehill, then I'm not sure we get 4 in the first round. I really don't see us trading back up into the 1st for Tannehill, or anyone else for that matter, which means Tannehill probably gets snagged by someone, but then I don't think the sense of urgency is still there to force Miami or CLE to trade back up.

Sounds like he feels RGIII will either be a big hit or a big miss and not somewhere in between.

That's what most think and what I've been saying all along but some of us Skins fans have lost our mind with him.

And Tannehill is expected to be at the combine for the mental aspects. He's not going to throw but is expected to be 100% by his pro-day in late March.

grantpaulsen:

Mike Mayock on Russell Wilson & Kellen Moore: "They don't look, smell, or taste like what 1st round quarterbacks are supposed to look like."

Mike Mayock says if he needs a QB right now, he's examining available FA's and then trying to move up to No. 2 to get Robert Griffin III.

Mike Mayock on Robert Griffin III: "His physical toughness is outstanding. He takes a lot of hits and it doesn't bother him."

Um, "taste"? lol :paranoid:

Dont most QB's taken as high as he is going to be taken fall into this category? They either end up being franchise qb's or are considered a bust.

Sure, unless you're talking about the likes of Eli Manning(prior to his corronation a couple weeks ago :puke: ), Carson Palmer, etc... No boom, no bust, just eh.

Trade down and take Tannehill

is he any good? I want an elite franchise QB. i was thinking Vick, Manning and Romo sits to pee are all over 30, we draft a young QB when he is hitting his prime, all those QB are going to be retiring and the teams are going to be looking for new QB's and we should then dominate the division for many years

Archived