Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Twitter: Mayock on the Redskins, draft, QBs, etc, yadda yadda

Califan007 The Constipated

I'm warming up to the idea of signing someone like Orton, trading back a few spots to draft Tannehill, and then filling out the roster with more young talent with the rest of the draft.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to have a star like RG3, but I can see the pros to both approaches. If Orton plus an improved roster can win in 2012, that's fantastic. If by week 5-6 that looks doubtful, hand the keys to the kid and let him develop under the Shanahans.

OK, you guys can kill me now...

:ols:

I'm warming up to the idea of signing someone like Orton, trading back a few spots to draft Tannehill, and then filling out the roster with more young talent with the rest of the draft.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still love to have a star like RG3, but I can see the pros to both approaches. If Orton plus an improved roster can win in 2012, that's fantastic. If by week 5-6 that looks doubtful, hand the keys to the kid and let him develop under the Shanahans.

OK, you guys can kill me now...

:ols:

I don't have a problem with that. I think ideally we would all like to see RG3 here next year. But we have no idea if that is possible or not. I wouldn't mind a Tannehill/Orton or Tannehill/Manning combo at all. Would give Tannehill time to develop and we'd still hold onto our draft picks.

I see that as the most logical approach. Keeping draft picks to infuse the roster with talent and depth is what smart teams do. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have RG3 on this team, but the price would have to be better than I think it will be.

I didn't mean for this to end up in a quotebox

You can not compare the character of these two. At RGIII's age Vick had already demonstrated a self centered destructive streak

Careful here ... the jury is still out with respect to how the NFL experience will be handled by RG3.

I see unmistakeable "look-at-me" tendencies in his demeanor.

RG3 has a way to go to reach the level of maturity and professionalism already exhibited by Luck.

Just sayin ...

I don't know. I think we may. I don't think we carry four running backs. And I think we may be able to stash a guy like Moore on the PS if he shows promise. There's a lot of lead in to our final roster, and there's a lot of evaluation. I think taking a look at Moore is worth it. If that's what you mean.

I'm not sure.

Looking back at Shanahan with us, and with his post-Elway Denver teams, as far as I can tell he has never carried 3 QBs on the active roster. Maybe that changes this year, but I'm not so sure.

I agree that the most likely outcome of drafting 2 QBs would be one finding themself on the PS, but for someone with as much intrigue as Moore, or even Wilson, would you really want to cut him, hope he clears waivers, and then hope no other team forces us to sign him to the active roster for the entire season?

In a perfect world, I would love to do this, but I don't see a decade plus pattern of roster management changing, nor do I see the risks involved with trying to hid such a high profile developmental guy on the PS being mitigated. I think if we don't plan on alloting a spot on the 53 to a 3rd QB, it's almost a wasted draft pick.

Archived