Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Films corrects "Tony" Davis error in 1987 SB highlight video

MarkB452

Stumbled across this on You Tube and googled it. Found this article by Matt Terl written in Nov 2011. BTW, I checked the video that NFL network aired last weekend and it was corrected.

Anyways, if you see a guy at FedEx wearing a #34 B. Davis jersey, buy that man a beer.

http://misterirrelevant.com/index.php/2011/11/09/the-best-video-of-old-redskins-cornerback-brian-davis-ever/

From Matt Terl's article:

I have no idea where this video is from or if it ever saw air outside of YouTube, but it is fabulous. Unfortunately, it’s also a 13-minute online video with no obvious punchline, which is the 2011 equivalent of a 10-hour Holocaust documentary from 1985. I really recommend watching the entire thing, but for those of you who simply cannot imagine that level of content engagement, here’s the summary via bullet points:

• Rookie cornerback Brian Davis intercepted John Elway in Super Bowl XXII. This was exciting for him.
  • The NFL Films SBXXII highlight vid (tastefully named “Ambush At SBXXII”) refers to Davis as “Tony Davis”.
  • A Redskins fan named Tom Green (not the comedian) was 13 when he met Davis during a strike protest during that 1987 season; this brief conversation caused Davis to become his favorite player — he still wears a 34 B. Davis jersey to Skins games at FedEx Field.
  • Green has spent the last 20+ years becoming increasingly incensed that his favorite player is misnamed in the video, and finally convinces NFL Films to correct it.
  • NFL Films sets up a screening of corrected video for him, including a surprise reunion with Davis.
  • They fistbump awkwardly.

Thanks for posting MarkB. Enjoyed the video.

Brian Davis was fascinated with him being a white cornerback. I don’t know if anyone else cared about a white cornerback in the NFL but Davis thought they did.

Actually he never watched pro football, never cared for it beyond actually playing, so I am not sure where you pull that unsubstantiated conclusion from. I am sure some people were fascinated with his skin color at CB, but it was not him.

Actually he never watched pro football, never cared for it beyond actually playing, so I am not sure where you pull that unsubstantiated conclusion from. I am sure some people were fascinated with his skin color at CB, but it was not him.

Have to admit I thought his white-cornerback-ness was pretty cool. You just don't see it often. I can't think of one in the NFL right now. Was he the last (obviously not the only) white starting CB to win the Super Bowl?? He and Doug Williams should join forces!

Reminds me of the Chris Rock joke a few years back that times have changed...best golfer is black and best rapper is white (Eminem).

Oh and the second black QB to win a Super Bowl?...RG3 in the B&G baby!

Have to admit I thought his white-cornerback-ness was pretty cool. You just don't see it often. I can't think of one in the NFL right now. Was he the last (obviously not the only) white starting CB to win the Super Bowl?? He and Doug Williams should join forces!

Another white cornerback from around that time was Tory Nixon. The Redskins drafted him in the 2nd round in 1985 but then traded him to the 49ers right before the start of the regular season.

---------- Post added February-3rd-2012 at 02:56 PM ----------

It also always bothered me that they referred to a DB as "wide open" on that play. Maybe I've always misinterpreted that saying, but that never made any sense.

I took it as a sarcastic comment that doesn't translate well when said in the god-like voice of an NFL Films narrator.

I don't care. He did. I remember before one game back in the day Davis was talking to other guys on our defense and he was saying that the other team was cracking on him during warm ups for being a white cornerback. He seemed self concious about it or something.

I'm at work and can't access cetain websites but I found these results on the very first page when I googled Brian Davis cornerback Redskins.

www.944.com/articles/proving-them-wrong/

I was a white cornerback from community college on the top-ranked team in the nation.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-01-28/sports/sp-39150_1_super-bowl-xxii

Brian Davis, who jokes that he's a rarity--a white cornerback in the NFL

Jes sayin'.

Archived