Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What age did you first get cable tv ?

shuler74

1987 when it finally hit Silver Spring, inside the Beltway.... I was 18.

It sucked so bad to be without MTV for all those years, I felt so inadequate.

It was early 1988 when I spliced the cable and put it through my basement window to my 12 inch tv - so I could watch headbangers ball without interruption.

I wanna say I was around 10 or 11 when we finally stopped using the antenna adjuster (click, click, click, click) and moved onto to the cable box with 25 channels or so, guess that would've been right around 87' or 88'. I was finally as cool as my friends who lived in town and had been watching cable for a few years already. Of course once I get cable they go and get the disney channel. Bunch of 1 upping ****s :)

1987 when it finally hit Silver Spring, inside the Beltway.... I was 18.

It sucked so bad to be without MTV for all those years, I felt so inadequate.

It was early 1988 when I spliced the cable and put it through my basement window to my 12 inch tv - so I could watch headbangers ball without interruption.

I still can't.

Had it in 1983-1985 in my parents' first house (age 3-5). Mom caught an HBO movie late one night showing some boobs, had my dad turn in the cable box. Rabbit ears from 1985-1989, when cable came to my parents new house. Got a VCR in 1986 which allowed us to use a remote control for the first time.

No cable until I was 16 or 17. So '98 or '99. Felt like we were the last family on Earth to get it.

I only get basic today.

---------- Post added January-16th-2012 at 03:09 PM ----------

Did yours have the little dials and switches to tune/set each channel? :ols:

With the advent of cable the channel limit(14?) of them was a pain

The first TV I can remember having was like that. Pull the knob out to turn the TV on, turn it for volume. Individual button for each channel, no remote. I got that TV for my bedroom after my dad upgraded our family room set to a massive 27 incher :ols: Must have had it until I was 15 or so.

I'm told that my family had cable TV up until I was like 3 or 4, so I have no memory of it. Due to the cost I'm told we got rid of it (I always believed it was because my mom didn't think it wholesome).

Then my family decided to get cable when I was a sophomore in high school, and I've had cable since.

I grew up with pretty much no tv, something like five channels with spotty reception at best. Channels 4,5,7,9 and 20. It's for that reason I love video games and probably got out to play more than I would've otherwise.

Cable was available in some capacity around 1985 or so but my Dad figured NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, and Channel 5 & 20 ( DC stations) were all we needed. Rabbit ears and changing the channel without a remote went along with that. " Son, get up and change the channel". :)

LOL! Same here man. My old man used to constantly make me adjust the rabbit ears. If the U of Miami was playing he'd make me stand up there and hold the rabbit ears.

We have directv now and my kids have more kids channels than we had total channels.

I didn't get cable until the eary 90s.

Archived