Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins free agency - who stays and who goes?

themurf

6115095506_5ac806f39a.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Once again, the NFL playoffs are in full effect while the Washington Redskins are left on the outside looking in.

Because the franchise has just one playoff victory over the last decade, you’d think this would get easier to swallow, but that’s never the case.

With losses far outnumbering the wins in Washington, it’s not unreasonable to think that management might try to cut corners during a slow and painful rebuilding process, but mercifully, it appears those days are a thing of the past.

Instead, head coach Mike Shanahan appears to be attempting to build legitimate depth the old fashioned way – focusing the bulk of his energy on the NFL Draft as the primary method of acquiring talent while judiciously utilizing trades and free agency to round out the roster.

This conventional mindset might be “old hat” for most NFL teams, but the Redskins aren’t most NFL teams.

Seeing the front office target younger, cheaper talent as opposed to chasing the biggest names in free agency was a pleasant surprise last offseason, and the hope is that trend continues again this time around.

Before the Redskins can turn their attention to this year’s crop of free agents and college standouts who will enter the draft though, Washington must first make some tough decisions in-house.

Namely, which of the team’s free agents are worthy of a new contract and which players it’s time to part ways with. Here’s my take on some of the players Shanahan and friends will likely focus on between now and the start of free agency in early March.

Free Agents:

Phillip Buchanon, cornerback – There’s zero reason to believe Buchanon will be back next season. Not when the highlight of his 2011 season was sitting out the first four games while serving a suspension for a violation of the league’s substance abuse policy.

Dominique Byrd, tight end – Does it really matter if he returns?

Adam Carriker, defensive end – Carriker is a player the front office would like to have back, but whether or not that happens will hinge on his contract demands and what other teams are willing to pay him. Getting a healthy Jarvis Jenkins back in the lineup could make the 27-year-old expendable though.

Fred Davis, tight end – After hearing Shanahan’s comments, I fully expect Freddie Delight to be back in business next season.

“Fred made a mistake. We sat down and talked about his mistake. I do feel very good about Fred as a person,” Shanahan said. “I like the way he worked, I like his attitude. I like his development over the last year-and-a-half since I’ve been here. I think he’s had a complete change in the way he handles himself off the field, to preparing himself to be a consummate pro, to working out, and hopefully the mistake won’t happen that he made this year.”

London Fletcher, linebacker – When a 36-year-old racks up more tackles than any other player in football, it’s clear he’s still got a little something left in the tank. Shanahan has said repeatedly that bringing back Fletcher is a top priority and I fully expect the ageless wonder to be the centerpiece of Washington’s defense again next season.

Graham Gano, kicker – The sometimes shaky restricted free agent appears to have finished the season on solid footing – connecting on four of six field goals attempts from 50 yards or more (including a 59-yarder). I expect the 24-year-old to be around a little while longer.

Kedric Golston, defensive end – Golston is only 28, but it would surprise me to see the team go in a different direction.

Rex Grossman, quarterback – Will the Redskins leave the draft with the Heisman Trophy winner out of Baylor or will they roll the dice on the other RG3 — meaning a third season of Rex Grossman III? Jokes aside, it wouldn’t surprise me to see Grossman in a backup role next season.

Tim Hightower, running back – The 25-year-old wants to be back and provides solid pass blocking and leadership abilities. Coming off of a season-ending injury he’s not going to command a big payday, so Hightower will likely be back in town again next year.

LaRon Landry, safety – The smart move would be to use the franchise tag on Landry, who has finished each of the last two seasons on the injured reserve list. Spending roughly $6.5 million for one year to see if Landry can finally get healthy and be a dominant force on the football field makes too much sense.

Kory Lichtensteiger, guard – The team’s best run blocker on the offensive line should definitely be back next season.

Sean Locklear, guard – Maybe he could have returned if he knew how to keep his mouth shut. Now, there’s a better chance the team signs me to play on the offensive line than Locklear returning.

Rocky McIntosh, linebacker – Honestly, I didn’t think he’d be back in 2011. It’s even less likely McIntosh will be around to miss tackles in 2012.

Will Montgomery, center – Washington needs to upgrade the offensive line, but the team could still keep Montgomery around to provide some depth.

Donte Stallworth, receiver – There will be younger and cheaper options than the 31-year-old. Hard to see him back for a second season in the burgundy and gold.

Byron Westbrook, cornerback – He’s a restricted free agent who excels on special teams and hopes to return next season. The 27-year-old isn’t going to demand much in the way of salary, so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him back.

And here are a few other players worth watching:

Terrence Austin, receiver – The Redskins don’t exactly have the second coming of the Fun Bunch at receiver, and yet, Austin is rarely involved with the offense. Maybe he’s just not a Shanahan guy.

Oshiomogho Atogwe, safety – I think the team gives Atogwe one more season to show he can stay healthy and productive.

Click here for the rest of the article.

Phillip Buchanon: No

Dominique Byrd: WTF Who Hell No

Adam Carriker: He's solid and though the team loves Jenkins, well let's be honest no one comes off a knee injury truly ready, and our line need depth something Shanny said we need at all positions. A lot of teams have money he could get paid but I don't see the Skins giving him the riches he wants. Love to have but in my honest opinion I think he's gone: No

Fred Davis: Yes

London Fletcher: Yes

Graham Gano: Yes (bring some serious competition in this year Shanny)

Kedric Golston: No

Rex Grossman: Yes (Bye Beck)

Tim Hightower: No

LaRon Landry: Yes

Kory Lichtensteiger: Yes

Sean Locklear: No

Rocky McIntosh: No (Shouldn't have been here this year)

Will Montgomery: Yes (might not start)

Donte Stallworth: No

Byron Westbrook: Yes

Terrence Austin: No

Oshiomogho Atogwe: No

Phillip Buchanon: No, probably zero effort to bring him back

Dominique Byrd: No, see above

Adam Carriker: Probably the most interesting decision the team makes about retaining their own guys. They want him, if they price is right. Not sure what his market is, but he could easily price himself out of it. He's exactly the type of player that often leaves a Pittsburgh, New England, or Indianapolis once they start to get expensive. My guess is he stays

Fred Davis: Yes, The Redskins will pony up for Davis

London Fletcher: Yes

Graham Gano: Yes. I still think Gano is a bit unfairly maligned. He's not terrible. He's not elite. He's basically like the vast majority of NFL kickers who are usually good, but somewhat inconsistent. The problem is that the grass is not always greener on the other side. Most NFL teams seem to change kickers every few years. And unless they get one of the 5 or so really elite guys, it does not seem to matter much.

Kedric Golston: Likely No. He's not bad, but when you are medicore and older, the tendency is to replace you with a young player with upside.

Rex Grossman: Yes. I'd be suprised if he was not the back-up next season

Tim Hightower: No, unless its on a very cheap deal. Not sure there's a market for RBs coming off major injuries. He may just come back on a cheap deal

LaRon Landry: Yes. The team does not want to a talent like him walk, but injuries are a huge concern

Kory Lichtensteiger: Yes

Sean Locklear: No

Rocky McIntosh: No

Will Montgomery: Yes, for depth purposes at least

Donte Stallworth: No. He was cut once already this season

Byron Westbrook: Yes. You cannot get rid of him (literally, he just won't go away)

Terrence Austin: Yes, at least as a training camp body. He's might not make the final 53

Oshiomogho Atogwe: Yes, he's under contract and will be given an opportunity to stay healthy

What other team would even want Landry this offseason? His injury is a big red flag. Franchise Tag would be a waste of cash.

Try to remember that before Landry's injury in 2010, he was being discussed by national media as a possible candidate for defensive player of the year. Think back to his overtime play against Green Bay last season and how young he is and then you'll see why another team would be willing to pay the man his money. Look, Bob Sanders has never been healthy for more than 10 minutes at a time and he still got a contract again this season. Someone will gladly roll the dice on Landry if the Redskins don't.

Bob Sanders has never been healthy for more than 10 minutes at a time and he still got a contract again this season. Someone will gladly roll the dice on Landry if the Redskins don't.

Agree totally, and that someone could very well be Dallas (dunno their cap sit), but I know they'd love to have him in their secondary and that is something we DO NOT want.. I'm on the fence about Landry's health, but I'm not on the fence about not wanting to play him twice a year.

I don't know the status of Reed Doughty & John Beck they both can be let go, but I'm pretty much in favor of not bring back mostly everybody else that was mentioned. My only concern is Landry, it's a coin toss with him is he going to be healthy or a risk with a high price tag.

You're absolutely right on the Carriker issue. He really came into his own this season and I would love to keep him around, but it depends on what other 3-4 teams might shell out some money for him. No clue on Pittsburgh's cap situation, but their DL is definitely aging and I could see them going after AC.

Fletcher will be back, as will Fred Davis, and Landry will probably get tagged. I think we're more likely to bring back Monty than Lich, but wouldn't surprise me if we resigned both (you can never have enough OL depth).

I think OJ should come back for another year too. One guy that I would hate to cut but absolutely think we have to is Brandon Banks. Niles Paul should be the KR/PR/Gunner for Special Teams, as well as get mixed in a few offensive formations (he's such a good run blocker). Moral of the story, we need to free up roster spots for other positions and Paul brings more to the table than Banks.

Oh, and I hope we cut Doughty and Beck. Seen more than enough of those two than I would like to for a lifetime.

I really don't get this Will Montgomery as depth stuff. He was our most consistent lineman, and had a hell of a year. He was the best center in the NFC East (according to the less than scientific ESPN NFCE Blog). He's Versatile, Strong, and mobile enough to get to LB's.Monty will start next year. Lichten. . . might have been a decent zone run blocker but his pass pro is still less than optimal as he just isn't strong enough or bulky enough to stop a bull rushing DT. If anything i see Lich being brought back as a reserve with his ability to play guard and center while coming off a major injury.

Locklear will be gone, his play and his comments have sealed his fate, but the rest of the OL is a puzzle, a lot depends on how the coaches evaluate Hurt and Smith. You could argue that every position has room for improvement, although Trent has improved in his second season IMO.

Ideally we get a starting RT to replace the unhealthy Brown who can drop to Locklears reserve position (assuming Brown goes along with that), but to get that RT we'd need our second round pick this year, which could be gone in a 1st round draft trade.

I think Monty will stay at least another year while they hunt for a better solution at center. Likewise Kory at guard. You have to look at the OL as a unit and we dont want to make too many changes at once. We might get some developmental players again at center and guard later in the draft and hope that Hurt and Smith do better in their second year - Hurt in particular looks like he might be OK for next season.

Hope we tag Landry and can get at least 2 2nd round draft picks for him.

I keep seeing this and I'm completely baffled. Why would anyone trade for a guy who is will play, at most, a handful of games? The guy is going to be out close to a year. There is no reason to trade him. And really, there's no reason to franchise him. If he really wants to go somewhere else, we're basically paying him 6 million to not play for us. If he doesn't, he would gladly sign a deal for far less that would allow him to stay a Redskin and rehab his ankle.

I don't know the status of Reed Doughty & John Beck they both can be let go, but I'm pretty much in favor of not bring back mostly everybody else that was mentioned. My only concern is Landry, it's a coin toss with him is he going to be healthy or a risk with a high price tag.

John Beck and Reed Doughty are two of the players I specific address in the second half of this post - along with Chris Cooley, Santana Moss and more. If you missed the link earlier, the rest of the article can be read here.

I he would gladly sign a deal for far less that would allow him to stay a Redskin and rehab his ankle.

No way. what player sign for less when all signs point to franchising. And if the Skins let him walk, he'll sign for a huge deal. Huge meaning multi year, probably average 5-8mm/year

I keep seeing this and I'm completely baffled. Why would anyone trade for a guy who is will play, at most, a handful of games? The guy is going to be out close to a year. There is no reason to trade him. And really, there's no reason to franchise him. If he really wants to go somewhere else, we're basically paying him 6 million to not play for us. If he doesn't, he would gladly sign a deal for far less that would allow him to stay a Redskin and rehab his ankle.

My 2 cents is that he would only be under contract for a year and maybe another team with a dire need at S will take a chance and sign him. A possibility with the trade to another team and he would only be under contract with us for a year.

No way. what player sign for less when all signs point to franchising. And if the Skins let him walk, he'll sign for a huge deal. Huge meaning multi year, probably average 5-8mm/year

Is anyone really going to risk it on this guy? He hasn't even confirmed to the coaching staff that he has had ankle surgery yet. An ankle surgery with a rather long recovery time and could end up being not as mobile as he was.

Shanahan really has a low tolerance for injured players. This is two years in a row the guy can't stay healthy. A one year deal with incentives if he comes back would be perfect for both parties. He gets a place to rehab and get back in to football without having to learn a new system. The Skins get a year to evaluate him, save some cap space and can get first crack at a long term, mega deal if he comes back healthy.

---------- Post added January-9th-2012 at 01:01 PM ----------

My 2 cents is that he would only be under contract for a year and maybe another team with a dire need at S will take a chance and sign him. A possibility with the trade to another team and he would only be under contract with us for a year.

But he won't be tradeable next season. He will be on the PUP list for 3/4 of the season. Well past the trade deadline. We won't get squat for a guy with a one year deal who is on the PUP list. And after he's off of it, the trade deadline will have past.

We aren't getting squat for him. Trading him is NOT an option.

Is anyone really going to risk it on this guy? He hasn't even confirmed to the coaching staff that he has had ankle surgery yet. An ankle surgery with a rather long recovery time and could end up being not as mobile as he was.

First of all, it's his achilles. Secondly, with a 7 month recovery, he'll be back around August, preseason. Thridly, it's recommended surgery, and not all athletes do the recommended surgery. He may be getting multiple opinions.

If you take the injuries into consideration, he could sign a long term deal now, where it's easy to get rid of him after next year. But with Landry, I just don't see that happening. He's a stud safety when healthy.

But he won't be tradeable next season. He will be on the PUP list for 3/4 of the season. Well past the trade deadline. We won't get squat for a guy with a one year deal who is on the PUP list. And after he's off of it, the trade deadline will have past.

We aren't getting squat for him. Trading him is NOT an option.

I bet we can both agree on this.:) Let's see how it plays out.

My only real disagreement is Landry. I think him playing next year under the Franchise tag is the worst scenario. I would want to either sign him to a long term deal with a lower price tag based on his injury problems, tag and trade him, or simply let him go.

I just think the chances of Landry signing a long term deal -- especially coming off of back-to-back injury-plagued seasons -- is remote. He's going to want to get paid and the team (hopefully) will be cautious about handing out large chunks of money without knowing for sure that the injuries over the lsat two years are more of a fluke than the new norm. Signing a one-year deal is best for both sides at the moment, and if that's the case then the franchise tag is likely how they'll get there. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

First of all, it's his achilles. Secondly, with a 7 month recovery, he'll be back around August, preseason. Thridly, it's recommended surgery, and not all athletes do the recommended surgery. He may be getting multiple opinions.

If you take the injuries into consideration, he could sign a long term deal now, where it's easy to get rid of him after next year. But with Landry, I just don't see that happening. He's a stud safety when healthy.

How do you know its 7? I've heard much longer. It might be 7 till he's out of a cast and allowed to walk/run at it.

And this surgery has been recommended by several doctors. It was recommended by several doctors last year.

If Landry goes, can we keep the monkey?

The only thing worse than letting LL go is letting him go to a division rival. He has a good idea on the play calls, so may as well send the defensive playbook with him. I say give him 1 more year; if he comes up injured and misses the majority of next year's season, then go ahead and do what ya gotta. But he has calmed down; he's not trying to fly through the air anymore at would-be ballcarriers, and, at least I hope, he will be a big part of the defense next year.

Doughty-- IF he stays around, his sole purposes should be ST and run support; he's proven he cannot cover, so why continue that experiment.

Otagwe-- I never was sold on him being a good player; the best defensive player on an extremely crappy Rams defense, yes, but that doesn't validate talent worthy of keeping. This prob was Haslett's choice, and it just didn't work out.

Stallworth-- not worth mentioning.

It will be a very very interesting off-season AND draft, and just the thought of getting a good QB gives me a li'l chub, so i'm gonna sit back and watch the chessmatches with the other 6 teams looking in the same direction we are...

The redskins secondary is pretty awful. Wilson underperformed and Hall wasn't spectacular either. Landry was good while healthy but as usual couldn't remain so. Otogwe was ... hardly noticeable. I'm not sure if that's good or bad. I would tag landry if there is a chance he could leave the and team gets nothing in return. We have to get something for a guy drafted that highly and who can play at an extremely high level when healthy.

I just think the chances of Landry signing a long term deal -- especially coming off of back-to-back injury-plagued seasons -- is remote. He's going to want to get paid and the team (hopefully) will be cautious about handing out large chunks of money without knowing for sure that the injuries over the lsat two years are more of a fluke than the new norm. Signing a one-year deal is best for both sides at the moment, and if that's the case then the franchise tag is likely how they'll get there. I could be wrong, but that's my take.

I just don't see any upside to that option. He plays next year for 6 mil, has a great season- OK, then what? Are you now convinced that he is going to be a healthy, consistent superstar going forward? Because I sure wouldn't be, but that's how he would have to be paid. Under that scenario, given the money he would then want, I would still rather let him go and spend it elsewhere. So, the upside is whatever he does next year, and it's not like we're making a Super Bowl run now anyway.

If Tyvon Branch hits the market, I would try to sign him. He'll cost less and is not much of a step down from Landry, even at Landry's best. And he has no lingering injury concerns.

I hate how people say, "hey, lets use Moss in a Wes Welker type role" It totally is demeaning to the value and talent level Welker has. Moss does not have Welker's quickness, hands, and ability to run after the catch. He is capable of being that type of player. Sure you can put him in that role, but would be far less effective.

---------- Post added January-9th-2012 at 08:17 PM ----------

My only real disagreement is Landry. I think him playing next year under the Franchise tag is the worst scenario. I would want to either sign him to a long term deal with a lower price tag based on his injury problems, tag and trade him, or simply let him go.

Agreed, I think franchising Landry is a terrible decision. Franchise Davis at the relatively cheap tag for tight ends and let him prove he can stay clean. Landry should not even be considered because he will not undergo the surgery. His delay in getting that done has eliminated him from being a candidate for the tag IMO. If he gets it later on he won't be ready at all next season and if he doesn't get it you know he won't be able to stay healthy or practive for that matter. Why waste $6+ MM in cap space for someone who has no chance on contrinbuting next season?

---------- Post added January-9th-2012 at 08:24 PM ----------

Agree totally, and that someone could very well be Dallas (dunno their cap sit), but I know they'd love to have him in their secondary and that is something we DO NOT want.. I'm on the fence about Landry's health, but I'm not on the fence about not wanting to play him twice a year.

I'm not on the fence. If he doesn't have surgery and goes to the Cowboys then so be it. We know he won't play more than 8 games and will never practice. Not practicing in that blitz heavy scheme will leave him exposed to making a ton of mistakes in the secondary....

---------- Post added January-9th-2012 at 08:22 PM ----------

We've seen what happened this year with him trying options other than surgery. It sould be a huge mistake to have him go for alternative options yet again and expect a different result. We've seen this play out before. Its surgery or be a part time player. Nothing in the middle.

Archived