Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins free agency - who stays and who goes?

themurf

I hate how people say, "hey, lets use Moss in a Wes Welker type role" It totally is demeaning to the value and talent level Welker has. Moss does not have Welker's quickness, hands, and ability to run after the catch. He is capable of being that type of player. Sure you can put him in that role, but would be far less effective.

Well, Calvin Johnson lined up a ton in the slot for Detroit this past weekend, so I thought it might be helpful to be more specific than just saying "Moss should play in the slot." With that in mind, comparing Moss to Welker makes a little more sense than comparing Moss to Megatron, wouldn't you agree?

Franchise Davis at the relatively cheap tag for tight ends and let him prove he can stay clean.

Shanahan wants Davis here and Davis wants to be here. They're not going to need to use the franchise tag on him unless something goes terribly wrong during contract negotiations.

Great post as always . I have to totally agree on the Landry issue . It is a gamble but the rewards are massive - if someone can convince him surjury is the right way to go .

We have not come out and said we are definatly going to tag him and i can imagine he sees us as the best option for a payday in 2012 and going forward based on the last 2 seasons

I am wondering if that is what he is holding out on . (3rd of march i think is the designation period though i might be worng)

If you have some garunteed money coming makes it easier to get healed up rather than taking the option of surjury then trying to find the a job and a deal you have some control over while hobbling around on crutches not being able to work out ...

That said it is more than likely someone might offer him a big long term contract but that first season will be incentive leaden and future payments are going to be heavily leveraged on how well he heals and comes back to form . I can imagine a lot of scouts in the NFL see him as potentially done .

Homer great article as always. Do you see DHall and Wilson staying?

Also, are you going to be doing an article about possible FA targets?

Thanks as always

Honestly, I'd be pretty surprised if DeAngelo Hall and Josh Wilson weren't back this year. I think the front office might try to upgrade cornerback, but it would be to add depth around them as opposed to dumping one of them. And really, I'd guess they're more active with safety than cornerback. But again, that's just my best guess.

As for free agents the team will likely target, look at the names of players the brought in a year ago. Guys like Barry Cofield and Stephen Bowen were under the radar players who were around the age of 27. None of them were the biggest names available - they simply were the players who best fit with what Shanahan wants to run here in Washington. Look at the names of guys who will be free agents and keep those things in mind. For example, hypothetically speaking, the front office would be much more likely to go after a lesser hyped guy like Saints receiver Robert Meachem than someone like San Diego wide out Vincent Jackson. I'm not saying they'll definitely go after Meachem, but he seems like the type of player that fits the new mindset.

Phillip Buchanon, cornerback – Please let him be gone. We need to get younger and better at CB.

Dominique Byrd, tight end –no reason to keep him

Adam Carriker, defensive end – Given the right contract, I'd love to have him back. he's a valuable rotation guy (which you need on a D-line in today's NFL), with good starting experience.

Fred Davis, tight end –Glad to hear he's coming back, I hope to God he stays clean.

London Fletcher, linebacker – This is the kind of veteran presence/leadership you need to keep around when you're rebuiling a young team. I hope we keep him and he retires here.

Graham Gano, kicker – Bring in competition, but I see no reason to not tender him. Strong leg, improving accuracy, only 24.

Kedric Golston, defensive end – I'd prefer to let him go and find a younger replacement.

Rex Grossman, quarterback – He's gonna stay for at least another year. Starter at the beginning of the year, hopefully phased into a backup role by the middle of the season. Not a bad backup QB, but I don't think this fanbase could handle another full year of Sexy Rexy under center.

Tim Hightower, running back – RBs with his kind of injury scare me, but if he's healthy and wants to be here and can be back for cheap, we'd have a very solid corps of young RBs in Hightower, Helu, and Royster (with Young at FB)

LaRon Landry, safety – Tag him and trade him. Use him as bait to move up, or just acquire extra picks.

Kory Lichtensteiger, guard – One of Shanahan's first acquisitions when he arrived. He's young, seemed solid, and will have had almost a full year to heal and recover before the season starts. Bring him back

Sean Locklear, guard – Adios.

Rocky McIntosh, linebacker – No thanks. He's too often a liability, and we can find a rookie to make just as many mental errors for cheaper.

Will Montgomery, center – Keep him. If we can't replace him, he's a decent starter. If we can replace him, he'd be a valuable backup.

Donte Stallworth, receiver – No thanks. Just like at CB, I'd rather get younger here as far as depth is concerned.

Byron Westbrook, cornerback – If he's an RFA, then tender him and at least bring him back for camp. Competition isn't a bad thing, but I'd like to replace him if possible. If all he's going to do is play STs, that's what rookies are for.

And here are a few other players worth watching:

Terrence Austin, receiver – Cut him if better comes along, but keep at least until camp bodies are being cut.

Oshiomogho Atogwe, safety – Let him get healthy and have a full offseason with the team. He'll be better next year.

Brandon Banks, returner – Like Austin, at least keep through camp. If you find somebody who's fast and a return threat like him, cut ties. But I like that he was involved in the offense at the end of the year, he could be a legitimate deep threat if his speed returns this offseason.

Kevin Barnes, cornerback – I'd prefer to keep him over Westbrook, but I'd also like to see him shift to a backup FS role. He's good depth, but not a starter. At least not yet.

John Beck, quarterback – Why hasn't he been cut yet?!

Jammal Brown, tackle – If he can't stay healthy he'll be gone. I hope he can be healthy and be at worst a great backup this year, if not the starter. But I wouldn't be sad to see him replaced by somebody young and healthy.

Chris Cooley, tight end – Cooley isn't overly expensive, we have cap space, and the league has shown what you can do with a good set of TEs (New England, anybody?). Cooley comes back, especially with Davis' future in question at the moment, and he and Davis are used in tandem next year to help open up the passing game.

Reed Doughty, safety – I like Doughty as a person, and I was a member of his fanclub a couple of years ago, but the man is a liability on the field. He must go.

Santana Moss, receiver – He'll be back, but hopefully as a slot guy and not the #1 WR. He's not suited for that role anymore, if he ever was.

Mike Sellers, tight end – You've been great Mike, but it's time to move on.

Archived