Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins staff meeting with Raheem Morris?

AboveLegit

Seriously? He made chicken salad from chicken ****! Had 8 different oline starting combos, and had Willie Smith and Tyler Polumbus looking decent at tackle. He should get a freakin raise!

Its not that far fetched. The running game may have gotten better over the season, but it still finished 25th, up from 30th. They still gave up more than 40 sacks. I know some of that is attributed to the QB position, but little progress was made between last year and this year on the line. It's not just about personnel and injuries. At some point you have to look at the coaching.

The top 10 run defenses have really been 50-50 the past few years of 3-4 vs. 4-3. If anything 3-4 teams have been more succesful. It seems your argument may be more successful if you did a little research to back up your claims.

Yep, 3-4 is a much better run defense against the zone blocking schemes that have pretty much been the base of the run game in the NFL since Lombardi ran the Giants offense. With the exception of the 80s to the early 90s, when rules changes, adoption of many traditional 3-4 concepts into 4-3 defenses and defenses personnel adjustments returned the run game to more power blocking, a 3-4 is usually the best SYSTEM to stop the run. The only thing that made the 3-4 good against the pass was the rise of the short passing game to replace much of the traditional run game and zone blitzing invented primarily by Dick LeBeau.

this is from the espn insiders.... " "

"Raheem's next gig

2:31PM ET

Raheem Morris | Buccaneers | Interested: Redskins?, Steelers?

Email

Comments3

UPDATE: ESPN NFC East blogger Dan Graziano explains why hiring Morris should be done quickly, if it's done at all (find his thoughts at the bottom of the post).

---

To the surprise of few, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers elected to cut ties with head coach Raheem Morris this week, making him a coaching free agent of sorts. Just days after that move was made, Morris may be on the cusp of a new position elsewhere.

Jason La Canfora of NFL.com reports that the Washington Redskins may bring Morris on to coach their secondary. This would give the team two former NFL head coaches on that side of the ball, as DC Jim Haslett was the head coach of the New Orleans Saints from 2000 to 2005, and the interim head coach of the St. Louis Rams in 2008.

In addition to the Redskins, La Canfora also notes that Morris has ties to Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin, and could be under consideration for a position on Tomlin's staff. In either case, ESPN NFC South blogger Pat Yasinskas believes that this is the right career path for Morris at this time:

- Tim Kavanagh

Pat Yasinskas

Time to take a step back

"Morris failed as a head coach and defensive coordinator with the Bucs. But he was a very good defensive backs coach before that. Stepping back and coaching a secondary is probably the logical move for Morris right now. I still think he can be a good head coach in this league, but that will come down the road. For now, Morris needs to get back to doing what he does best. He can coach a secondary for a year or two and eventually move up to a job as a defensive coordinator. Morris simply wasn't mature enough to be a head coach when the Bucs hired him and he didn't suddenly grow into the role. Stepping back a bit can only help Morris for the next time around."

Dan Graziano

They'll want him to weigh in on player evaluations

"If the Redskins are serious about Morris -- or about any other changes to their coaching staff -- expect things to move quickly. Mike Shanahan told me last week that the team is entering a two-week period in which the coaches meet to offer evaluations of every player on the roster -- offensive coaches assessing defensive players and vice-versa. Any coach who would be new next year would certainly be an important voice in such meetings, especially since he'd bring a potentially valuable outsider's perspective on the Redskins' roster. The secondary is a potential issue for the Redskins in 2012, as the team could bid good-bye to both of 2011's starting safeties, LaRon Landry and O.J. Atogwe. Landry is headed for free agency and likely surgery on his Achilles, and Atogwe's contract would allow the Redskins to get out of it if they found a better option. The team views DeJon Gomes as a future starter at safety, but it's unclear whether he'd be ready for such a role in 2012."

Chris Russell @Russellmania980 - Details As I said on @ESPNRadio980 - the indication that I was given - was that Jim Haslett was not a part of the dinner w/ Raheem Morris

So is Chris Russell just trying to stir the pot? *My* opinion is that what Jsteelz said on twitter is true.

Jsteelz @Jsteelzextreme

Morris would likely get the asst, head coach tag

---------- Post added January-5th-2012 at 10:18 AM ----------

c4man5282 @c4man5282

@Jsteelzextreme asst head coach of the DB's? something like that?

----------------------------

Jsteelz @Jsteelzextreme

@c4man5282 more like Asst Head Coach / Cb coach

This would be brilliant. Take a young, passionate and talented coach to help your DB's now, and let him mature as a HC candidate under Mike Shanahan. He wasn't ready for the big gig quite yet. And the best thing is, he's good friends with Kyle Shanahan I think, so Kyle can't even be mad about it. :ols:

---------- Post added January-5th-2012 at 05:30 PM ----------

I'm wondering if he will sign with us because from head coach/defensive coordinator to an assistant DB/ST coach it's quite a downfall.

He'd have the Asst. Head Coach position as well, according to jsteelz. He'd learn directly under and work directly for Mike Shanahan, as well as coaching the DB's.

He'd have the Asst. Head Coach position as well, according to jsteelz. He'd learn directly under and work directly for Mike Shanahan, as well as coaching the DB's.

How could that take place,that he would work directly under Shanny? Seems to me that would undermine Haslett and might send the wrong message. I'm not sure that would take place.

How could that take place,that he would work directly under Shanny? Seems to me that would undermine Haslett and might send the wrong message. I not sure that would take place.

Undermine Haslett how? Its mostly just a title and a pay bump to entice a guy, but the Asst. Head Coach label means he'd be working with Shanahan in some capacity, outside of his defensive duties.

Undermine Haslett how? Its mostly just a title and a pay bump to entice a guy, but the Asst. Head Coach label means he'd be working with Shanahan in some capacity, outside of his defensive duties.

So you think he would become more than an asst? Maybe D.C.. If so, still would not send a good message. If they want him bad enough I guess they could give him a bigger title

He wouldn't "become" more than anything. It sounds like he'd be the DB coach. And also the Assistant Head Coach. He can do both, there's no bad message to send.

Not understanding your emphasis on Become , His position is his position, nothing more nothing less.,

So you think he would become more than an asst? Maybe D.C.. If so, still would not send a good message.

He wouldn't "become" more than anything. It sounds like he'd be the DB coach. And also the Assistant Head Coach. He can do both, there's no bad message to send.

Not understanding your emphasis on Become , His position is his position, nothing more nothing less.,

Because being the Assistant Head Coach doesn't mean he has to become anything later on. It would just be his position, in addition to his DB coach position.

Because being the Assistant Head Coach doesn't mean he has to become anything later on. It would just be his position, in addition to his DB coach position.

So why would he be taught anything by Shanny.Last I heard he was never a defensive coach. What experience would he give to Morris. Offensive coach skills? I believe he would gain more experience under the guidance of Haslett since his defense sucked this year. Dont you think?

So why would he be taught anything by Shanny.Last I heard he was never a defensive coach. What experience would he give to Morris. Offensive coach skills? I believe he would gain more experience under the guidance of Haslett since his defense sucked this year. Dont you think?

Head coaching duties involve much more than defensive/offensive scheme specifics. Shanahan doesn't need to be teaching him how to coach. That's what coordinators and position coaches are for. That's what Morris would be doing with the DB's, under Haslett's guidance. I assume he would have other, non-coaching (directly) related tasks, etc. that go along with the Assistant Head Coaching title. I think its different for every team who employs the use of the label. In some cases its just a formality. I just have a feeling that taking a recently fired, young, fairly inexperienced yet passionate, intelligent, and talented young coach under your wing and giving him the title of "Assistant Head Coach" entails SOMETHING outside his normal DB-coach duties. Or its possible that its just to help him save face, going from a HC job to a DB coach job. Helps his resume later, at least. But who knows.

Head coaching duties involve much more than defensive/offensive scheme specifics. Shanahan doesn't need to be teaching him how to coach. That's what coordinators and position coaches are for. That's what Morris would be doing with the DB's, under Haslett's guidance. I assume he would have other, non-coaching (directly) related tasks, etc. that go along with the Assistant Head Coaching title. I think its different for every team who employs the use of the label. In some cases its just a formality. I just have a feeling that taking a recently fired, young, fairly inexperienced yet passionate, intelligent, and talented young coach under your wing and giving him the title of "Assistant Head Coach" entails SOMETHING outside his normal DB-coach duties. Or its possible that its just to help him save face, going from a HC job to a DB coach job. Helps his resume later, at least. But who knows.

Wow, for an organization to care about the future and saving face for an individual really goes above and beyond the call of duty. So you are suggesting that maybe Kyle,Bruce and Shanny are really trying to grow some product and MIGHT be taking Morris under their belt to help him. I hope they don't over pay. This organization has done that before and lost big time

Wow, for an organization to care about the future and saving face for an individual really goes above and beyond the call of duty. So you are suggesting that maybe Kyle,Bruce and Shanny are really trying to grow some product and MIGHT be taking Morris under their belt to help him. I hope they don't over pay. This organization has done that before and lost big time

I think they probably respect Morris, and want him to coach our DB's badly. To help with that, I could see the compromise of offering the Assistant Head Coaching title, to entice him to come here. He's worth taking in and developing as a coach, in my opinion. And he's an upgrade.

And I'm not sure why you care if we overpay for a coach. Its Snyder's money, completely separate from the Salary Cap and limitless, for all intents and purposes.

I think they probably respect Morris, and want him to coach our DB's badly. To help with that, I could see the compromise of offering the Assistant Head Coaching title, to entice him to come here. He's worth taking in and developing as a coach, in my opinion. And he's an upgrade.

And I'm not sure why you care if we overpay for a coach. Its Snyder's money, completely separate from the Salary Cap and limitless, for all intents and purposes.

I think Morris would be an excellent addition to the skins. I especially Liked the way he held folks accountable in Tampa and sent one player home. I live here so I had a birds eye view as well. Hope things work out for him if he decides join.

By the way that is my money Snyder is throwing around and all the other fans too. (Smiley Face Caption)

The team quit on him. That is why he was let go in Tampa. They got really sloppy on tackles and cashed in their chips early in the year. He just wasn't ready to be a HC yet. I am not knocking him at all and think he would be good for the Skins as a DB coach.

What I really want to know about the dinner is if the subject of fatass came up.:ols:

No they skipped the cheese and went straight to the beef.

Seriously? quit on him? He has been there for how many years now coaching defense after Kiffen left. He was a players coach.

No they skipped the cheese and went straight to the beef.

Seriously? quit on him? He has been there for how many years now coaching defense after Kiffen left. He was a players coach.

Agreed. Also, the Bucs are good but their 10-6 record in 2010 was a fluke. They're a year or two away from competing on an annual basis, especially considering the division they're in. In my opinion, they should've given him another year.

We'd be lucky to have Morris if he came here. I don't think he will end up with the Redskins because he wants to be asst HC.

I think its incredibly bad form to openly court a position coach before there is a vacancy.

It makes me wonder who the 'brass' were? Allen and Kyle?

Because that could simply have been 3 friends sharing a meal.

BTW-I think Raheem Morris is a good coach and was somewhat surprised that he got the axe but its then NFL.

This would be a very, very, very, good addition to the Redskins coaching staff it this were to happen...This team, and the DB's in-particular, could really benefit from his passion, and fire, plus we play the NFC South next yr, his former division...

This would be a very, very, very, good addition to the Redskins coaching staff it this were to happen...This team, and the DB's in-particular, could really benefit from his passion, and fire, plus we play the NFC South next yr, his former division...

he's might be interviewing with minny then he would face them twice a year. hope he comes here though.

Archived