Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

In your opinion, who are the top 10 most talented players on the Skins roster?

1. London Fletcher

2. LaRon Landry

3. Brian Orakpo

4. Ryan Kerrigan

5. Trent Williams

6. Santana Moss

7. Fred Davis

8. Roy Helu

9. DeAngelo Hall

10. Chris Cooley if he still counts

Looking bright but too soon to tell: Royster, Jenkins, Riley, Hankerson

I wish the question wasn't who are the most talented because I could have left D.Hall off the list.

But anyway:

Top 1-5:

1. DeAngelo Hall

2. Brian Orkapo

3. London Fletcher

4. Trent Williams

5. Fred Davis

Top 6-10:

6. Barry Cofield

7. Leonard Hankerson

8. Willie Smith

9. Daryl Young

10. Roy Helu/Evan Royster

Top 1-5:

1. Trent Williams

2. Laron Landry

3. Ryan Kerrigan

4. Brian Orakpo

5. London Fletcher

Top 6-10:

6. Fred Davis

7. Roy Helu

8. Perry Riley

9. Santana Moss

10. Leonard Hankerson

It's a toss up between Kerrigan and Orakpo, though. Kerrigan is the more flexible, Orakpo is probably stronger.

You're coming around!

Stick with me, and pretty soon not only will you be a football genius, women will find you irresistable!

~Bang

My man crush on Bang has long helped my football knowledge but the ladies thing...not so much! Thanks for showing the negative nancy why he is so far off, Bang.

1. Fletcher (he'd also be #1 for football smarts and work ethic)

2. Orakpo (loved seeing improved run stopping this year)

3. Kerrigan

4. Davis

5. Williams

6. Helu

7. Landry

6. Riley

8. Hankerson (wishful thinking maybe but what I saw when he wasn't hurt was a near #1 WR)

9. Cofield

10. Carriker

I wish there was another obvious OL to have on that list. otherwise I am remaining positive about it for the coming seasons.

Give him a break Bang; maybe he just woke up in the tank but managed to smuggle in an iphone or something.

Sure am glad there isn't a ' top 10 worst players on Skins roster'. Talk about spreading the butter...

I blame the sports radio in this town.

Kids raised on idiots like Andy Polley and Steve Czabin obviously aren't going to know much about the sport except how to be negative.

(Today I listened to Andy Pollin,,, a guy RAISED on George Allen and Joe Gibbs, say "Special Teams aren't all that important". 'Nuff said.)

Oh well. There's people here who can help.

But a person has to want to learn to ever do so.

First lesson is free, dontcha know.

~Bang

Ok, here are my votes for most talented, not to be confused with best or most consistent.

Top 1-5:

1. Laron Landry

2. Trent Williams

3. Brian Orakpo

4. London Fletcher

5. Deangelo Hall

Top 6-10:

6. Ryan Kerrigan

7. Fred Davis

8. Santana Moss

9. Barry Coefield

10. Roy Helu/Evan Royster

*A couple things:

-I was tempted to replace Santana Moss with Hankerson, but I just dont think Ive seen enough of his talent yet.

-My list is in order from most talented on down.

-The list of best players on the Redskins this season is slightly different:

1. Fletch

2. Orakpo

3. Trent Williams

4. Fred Davis

5. Barry Coefield

6. Ryan Kerrigan

7. Jabar Gaffney

8. Lorenzo Alexander

9. Josh Wilson

10. Chris Chester

Assuming we are talking football ability as opposed to athleticism (not that they're mutually exclusive)...

1. Fletcher - the man's good at everything he's asked to do.

2. Kerrigan - the dude had his share of mistakes, but he was solid all around. Absolutely incredible playing this well at a new position as a rookie with a short offseason. Very, very impressive football skills.

3. Helu - displays good power and an ability to shed tacklers. Good receiver and decent blocker considering this was the main knock on him. Subtle shiftiness to him that seems to give opponents headaches. Very good cutback runner, finds the hole consistently

4. Cooley - good route runner, excellent at finding holes in the zone and very solid after the catch. Not as athletic as Davis, but a better blocker and more savvy.

5. Hall - this is a weird one. He showed this year that he can be a very good tackler and a pretty solid corner overall. Many of the blown coverages came from qbs having a lot of time to throw (at times at least). He's a better in zone than man, but overall definitely talented.

6. Young - this is tough because I don't follow his blocking much, but the times the team had him on the field a bunch it seems like we ran quite well. The more obvious thing he brings to the table is his receiving. It seems like he's almost always good for a first down, rarely drops the ball, and almost always gets a high percentage of YAC. Not too sure why he wasn't used more.

7. Williams - has faced stiff competition, has certainly improved and obviously very athletic for a big guy.

8. Orakpo - good pass rusher, solid vs the run.

9. Cofield - held his own vs. the run, overall did a good job keeping the Lbs clean. Impressive number of batted balls. For his first year at a new position in a new defensive scheme with new guys around him, pretty awesome.

10. Davis - very good receiver, especially after the catch. Very athletic. Decent but somewhat erratic blocker.

Honorable mention -

Alexander - doesn't get many chances to show his athleticism, but solid play at numerous positions are proof. Great special teamer and very hard working.

Moss - overshadowed by Gaffney, and the injury didn't help, but the dude can play. He's no Steve Smith, but he's quick, a great route runner, and savvy. I'm curious how he'll be used going forward (a stronger-armed qb who doesn't have his college roomie on the team might help)

Wilson - better at man coverage it seems, and scraps for the ball. Could improve his tackling, but a solid corner.

Hightower - fast and punishing, also a good pass blocker. Needs more awareness in finding the right running lane but otherwise he is a good to very good back.

Riley - quick to plug the running lanes, sure tackler. Very impressive what he was able to do as a starter. Potential liability in coverage, but very good vs. the run. Future is bright for this kid.

Carriker/Bowen - always hard to judge DEs in the 34, but both seemed to play quite well. Surprising number of sacks by the two.

Rocca/Gano - take the blocks away from Gano's stat sheet and he and Rocca both were near the tops in their positions. How many weeks before Rocca had a touchback? Impressive. Both were willing tacklers that made a difference.

The rest of the team -

I like what I've seen from Chester and Montgomery. Solid players for us.

Although Gaffney was a pleasant surprise, I can't really give any love to the receivers or safeties (or qbs).

I also like Royster and Hankerson, just not enough evidence yet.

Rounding out the roster, Atogwe and Gomes. These guys both showed decently this year, but certainly nothing special. If Atogwe stays healthy, I expect improved play from them both next year.

Forgot Banks... certainly a speedster, but the dude is maddening. I think he adds some dynamic to our offense, but not sure about some of his poor decisions and his poor hands. To be fair, it's pretty ridiculous how often guys are committing senseless penalties in the return game (I also might be jumping on that bandwagon Bang)

Break it into groups of 5:

Top 1-5: (MY PICKS from Missouri)

1.London Fletcher

2.Ryan Kerrigan

3.Brian Orakpo

4.Fred Davis

5.Santana Moss

Top 6-10:

6.Barry Cofield

7.Jabar Gaffney

8.Stephen Bowen

9.Deangelo Hall

10.Brandon Banks

They don't have to be in order within each group, but obviously everyone in spots 1-5 should be more talented/better players than everyone in spots 6-10.

Without using numbers, our most talented players are:

Trent Williams----------------Brian Orakpo

Fred Davis---------------------Lorenzo Alexander

Niles Paul----------------------Roy Helu

Ryan Kerrigan----------------Evan Royster

LaRon Landry-----------------Tim Hightower

:helmet:

^niles paul???

are you kidding.. take off lorenzo, hightower helu and royster

add dhall, cofeild, cooley and fletch

yeah Niles Paul has a lot of raw talent. DHall, Cofield, and Cooley are great talents but I gotta go with the younger players. Fletch is a great student of the game. He's not beating people with his talent, he outworks most on the team. Lorenzo started off on this team as a D-lineman, then played O-lineman, and then got switched to LB. Lorenzo is not talented? Are you serious? Hightower, Helu, and Royster are all great compliments to one and another

:helmet:

Top 1-5:

1. Trent WIllaims

2. Fred Davis

3. Ryan Kerrigan

4. Brian Orakpo

5. Santana Moss

Top 6-10:

6. Fletcher

7. Cofield

8. Gaffney

9. Hall

10. Rocca

I left Landry out because his injuries made his contributins negligible. Healthy, he's be in the top 10. I realize number 10 is a punter, but based entirely on what a great contribution he was, I had to put him in the top 10. I hated putting the potheads as 1 and 2 but, I still feel they're two of the best on the Skins. Fletcher needs no explanation. Heart ,determination and fair amount of talent makes him a top 10 always. Santana is till a major draw of opposing defenses. The double coverage keep shis numbers down, but if we ever get some real threats with him, the guy could put up better numbers.

Honorable mention among the IR: Cooley, Hankerson, Landry, Jenkins. Hard to say what they'd be like if healthy.

Just FYI, from Merriam-Webster

2 archaic : a characteristic feature, aptitude, or disposition of a person or animal

3 : the natural endowments of a person

4 a : a special often athletic, creative, or artistic aptitude b : general intelligence or mental power : ability

5 : a person of talent or a group of persons of talent in a field or activity

I'd argue that someone like Fletcher is both hard working AND talented.

This is like being asked who are the ten prettiest girls at the 50 year high school reunion after you've had way too much to drink. There should only be a top 5 list allowed given that this team got beaten by the Vikings backups two weeks ago. No one would agree on a top ten list.

Didn't give this any really deep thought, just what came to mind at the moment.

Top 1-5:

1. LaRon Landry

2. Ryan Kerrigan

3. Trent Williams

4. London Fletcher

5. Brian Orakpo

I was going to be mean and put "devoid of talent" after the top 5. but there are some other decent guys in there.

Top 6-10:

6. Fred Davis

7. Roy Helu

8. Evan Royster

9. Stephen Bowen

10. Barry Cofield

Jarvis Jenkins would probably be in there if he played.

It would help to define "talented." (Or maybe it would hurt by limiting the opportunity for amusing castigation of nitwits.)

Insofar as it differs from "best," "talent" would seem to preclude consideration of effort (both on the field and in preparation). It would seem to encompass raw athletic ability, the ability to make good decisions, and the capacity (whether realized or not) to be one of the "best" players on the team. And it would seem to focus on the time frame of "going into next year."

That definition makes Trent, LaRon and Rak the first three on my list, in that order (the first two, there's a fairly large gap b/w talent and production--with Rak, it's material but shrinking, particularly this year). Ryan, London, Fred, and Sav come next (much less of a gap b/w talent and result for all but Fred). Then maybe Leonard, Jarvis and DeAngelo.

Santana and Chris would have been on this list, but appear to be fading (particularly Santana, with Chris maybe it's just injury). I like Helu, but a) the fact that he's a particularly good fit for this offense doesn't make him talented, and B) the fact that Hightower, Royster and Helu (and last year Torain) all seemed excellent at times suggests it's more scheme/fit than talent. Bowen, Cofield and Gano are also honorable mentions (the first two with production increasingly matching talent, Gano still spotty in his youth but very talented). Lorenzo is a great athlete, and astonishingly versatile, and an incredibly hard worker, but I don't think he's all that talented at any particular position (other than special teams--if we're counting that, then maybe he should be on the list, but it seems a little odd. E.g., if you dedicated Orakpo to special teams, I bet he'd be unbelievable at it, but you wouldn't do it.)

:doh: My goodness. The Fail is strong with this one.

Would you like to elaborate? Lorenzo Alexander isn't a guy that is terribly physically talented. He works hard and does the little things right and that allows him to have some success. There is a reason he isn't a starter in this league and that reason is a lack of talent.

---------- Post added January-5th-2012 at 06:30 PM ----------

IMO Fletcher is a great talent that also has a great work ethic. It's funny that you're surprised that Fletcher is on this list but you include Leonard Hankerson.

The question wasn't who are the 10 best Redskins, or who are the 10 most productive. It was about talent. Talent =/ production. Devin Thomas is a hell of a talent. He's also a terrible player.

---------- Post added January-5th-2012 at 06:28 PM ----------

landry, hall and moss in the top 10 players on our team.. landry its all or nothing with him, and usually ends up being nothing, hall. if he gave 100% on evey play he would be a decent player, but he only tries when the heat has been turned on him and he neeeds to show he still belongs in the nfl..moss, too small, and he is starting to hear footsteps everytime he goes up for a pass. thats why he drops so many balls

I'm talking about talent and ability which is what the thread asked for, not production.

Archived