Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Redskins: Total Team Analysis

KDawg

For those of us who have short attention spans, this isn't going to be an ideal read. I apologize ahead of time.

The Washington Redskins have obviously struggled this season, in many ways. Injuries have depleted our depth deprived football team, and our play from the guys who have been in hasn't been what you would call stellar. But, there are some shining glimmers of hope within the team.

Roy Helu, for one, has made quite an impact since he stepped in. He is 40th in the NFL in attempts per game, but is 27th in rushing yards. That doesn't happen by accident. He's a good receiver out of the backfield as well as he ranks third on the Redskins in receptions (44), behind only Fred Davis (59) and Jabar Gaffney (52). Keep in mind, that Roy Helu has had seven games where he's received less than 10 carries. In those seven games, he had four games where he received under 5 carries. The numbers Helu is putting up cannot be ignored. He has an extremely bright future with this franchise. But, where Helu struggles is in pass protection. It was a problem in preseason and it seems to have carried over to the regular season, though he's much better in pass protection than he was earlier in the year. This is where Tim Hightower would be a great option. THT struggled at times, but the guy is a bruiser. He hits the hole hard and lowers his shoulder. He's a tremendous compliment to Helu, and the two, if healthy could be an incredible duo. Evan Royster showed flashes yesterday, so I'm hopeful he can add to that.

Our running game is the strong point of this team, in my humble opinion. Yet, we rank 28th in rush attempts as a team and 30th in yardage. Meanwhile, our passing game, which has been extremely sub par, has us ranked 4th in the league in attempts. The teams ahead of us are the Saints (1st attempts/1st yards), Lions (2nd attempts/5th yards), Patriots (3rd attempts/2nd yards) and Giants (4th attempts/4th yards). The Redskins currently rank 12th in yards, and quarterback Rex Grossman has thrown 16 interceptions and 12 TDs. His TD:Int ratio sits at 0.75:1. He throws a touchdown on 3.4% of passes and an interception on 4.6% of passes. Grossman has taken 20 sacks (not too bad, actually, but he's also thrown the ball straight into the ground to avoid a sack several times due to holding the ball entirely too long). He's fumbled 7 times and lost 4. But, fumbling 7 times is a turnover opportunity, so his TD:TOopp ratio is 12:23, which reduces to .52:1. So, roughly speaking, for every turnover, he produces half a touchdown.

So why is it that Kyle Shanahan insists on this team being 4th in pass attempts and 28th in rush attempts? Well, to be fair, situations have dictated throwing the ball at times. However, it's also been his mindset as a coordinator. For his career, Kyle is over a 60/40 pass/run ratio. It's his style, it's his MO. It's what should be expected from him. But to me, its impossible to argue that the strength of this team is in the passing game. Our pass:run ratio should be skewed to the run, and not the pass. And in games where we run the ball more often, take New England for example, we're much more competitive. Yesterday was about balance. The 'Skins ran one more time than they threw and the offense had a 27 point performance and the team was competitive. Balance, with a slight emphasis on the run, should be the recipe for success with this team, especially with the recent emergence of one Roy Helu and so many injuries to our receiving threats.

But, I also want to be fair. Kyle Shanahan's system works. And yesterday he called an outstanding game. The problem with Kyle, up until this point, is he was trying to fit his personnel to his system, not his system to his personnel. Yesterday, though, was a beautiful thing. I have faith in him going forward, as long as we add the key components to the offense that are necessary: offensive line and quarterback.

Time of Possession is a statistic that comes into play with a heavy run ratio. New England didn't hold the ball long yesterday, mostly due to their quick strike passing attack, and the Redskins milking the clock with their running game. Our defense wasn't very successful against New England, save for a couple of opportunistic, gritty plays by some of our defenders. In order to defeat sound offenses like that, you have to keep the ball out of their hands. Wind the clock. Milk them for all you can. We did a semi-good job with that yesterday, and its a trend I'd like to see continue.

As far as the defense goes, part of me felt bad for them the majority of this season. They are on the field a ton due to the inept passing offense, incomplete passes and our inability to convert on third downs (35%). And they have been improved, specifically on the defensive front. We are getting good pressure and that is by far the strong suit of our defense. I love how our defensive line and outside backers all help each other make plays, it's a lot of fun to watch. Bowen and Carriker are the two most underrated aspects of our defense. They just make plays on the field. Cofield is a deflection machine. Jenkins looked like a beast in preseason. Our defense front, if we can keep it in tact, looks like it could be formidable for years to come.

As far as inside backers go, I'm a bit worried. London Fletcher is a mentor to a lot of our guys, and is an absolute stud and probably our best overall defensive football player. He's an important aspect to this team. But perhaps he's too important. He's an unrestricted free agent after this year, and although I believe he has a lot invested in this team and he won't go anywhere, the possibility exists that he does. I think we're set with Perry Riley, who told me in an interview after the Jets game that although he was confident in his skill level, London Fletcher and others have really helped him get used to the system. You could tell he has a high level of respect for London and he's learned a ton from him. But the other ILB spot is a concern that has to be addressed at some point, but with the amount of holes we have on the team, I'm wondering if we can even address it this offseason. Although, I'm sure Keyaron Fox could step in and at the very least be serviceable for us.

Last year, our defense ranked 21st in points allowed, allowing 23.6 points per game. We have, as people like to point out, improved on that number. We rank 19th this year, with some games to go, and allowing 22.3 points per game. The improvement isn't as good as one might hope. And part of the blame for both seasons worth of numbers is our woeful offensive production for the majority of the seasons. But, I'm still not sold on Haslett as a coordinator. But, if you really wanted me to say something positive about Haslett, I would say this: The guy is undoubtedly a hard worker, and he preaches turnovers to the hilt. He has an aggressive defense, and sometimes for me its entirely too aggressive, but he's not afraid to attack. Those are all things I love about the guy. I'm not a huge fan of his gameplanning and play calling, and to me, that's where the Redskins defense struggles from time to time. To be fair, though, I'm not in the huddles. I don't know the calls, I don't know the adjustments. I just know that ultimately our coordinators are responsible for the product that is placed on the field. But I really do feel bad for Haslett in one way, not all of the defensive struggles are the defenses fault. The special teams and offense leave a ton to be desired.

And even though I'm certainly not a Haslett fan (though, I understand there are many who are, and I can see why, mostly due to the traits that I actually like about him), I don't feel that he, Mike or Kyle Shanahan should be shown the door quite yet. When we brought these guys in, we knew it would be a process. Many of us knew just how bad it was, but I think some 'Skins fans are still a bit shell shocked about how bad of a state this franchise was in after Cerrato left us. We're rebuilding, and continuity is a major part of building. Now is not the time to fire any of these guys. We need to allow them to try to build this team into a winner. They have shown amazing flashes of brilliance at times, and that is where the team's hope needs to lie. A healthy team, with some better pieces for starters and for depth, and we could be in a heck of a lot better position next year. You'll notice I didn't mention our Special Teams coach. I'll just say this: I don't have the same "give him a chance" philosophy with him than I do with the others.

This team has a ton of work to do, and it needs some major overhauling. But, there are some flashes of brilliance. Even the most pessimistic have to see that.

The D is good and the one aspect of the team that you can see could develop into a great defense. They arent there yet... the secondary gives up way to many crucial plays and the entire D looks worn out by the late 4th qtr. They get some pressure but the sacks have disappeared the last few weeks and they have given up 34 and 27 pts 2 weeks in a row.

This isnt a championship or even playoff caliber defense, yet. I still think they give up too many rushing yards and arent good enough to pull out victories w/o an offense but with a few additions next year, they may be. Overall, big strides over last year. Lots of potential to be excited about.

The O - well, as abysmal as they were in Oct & Nov and with the injuries and stupidity, they have played their hearts out the last few weeks. Helu can carry an entire games load and hopefully there are 2, maybe 3 changes to the Oline for next year... the biggest blow was the loss of Hankerson... this team needs a #1 so badly and losing him was yet another setback.

But when the Skins draft RG3 or better - they can all gel into something.

I'm with you on your analysis, I would add that if we had started the year playing as well as we are now, I think we probably come away with 2-3 more wins than we now have.

Wholesale changes like we have made, and play at the level where we are now , only reflect how well some decent coaching/general managing skills are now coming to the forefront for this organization.

Get Gano to get his head out of his ass and start kicking like he's able and we should fair well enough IMO...for the rest of the season. We have been in every game of the 6-7 last games we have played. If Rex hadn't been pressured to constantly throw and our run game evolved a little quicker than it had, who kows , we could be an 8/8 team.

I think where the Redskins falter on defense is in the secondary. DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, LaRon Landry, O.J. Atogwe, Kevin Barnes, Reed Doughty, Dejoin Gomes, have failed to cover wide receivers effectively for all of this season. While Bowens, Carriker, and Cofield have played very well along the defensive line, the ILBs and OLBs have made plays and gotten to the quarterback. The secondary is either week or soft and has allowed too many conversions on 3rd down and they have not had a substantial amount of turnovers.

The offense, in truly looking at it, is not as bad as it looks. Even with Rx Grossman as QB, the Redskins have played well on offense from time to time this season. Santana Moss, Jabar Gaffney, and Donte Stallworth have contributed to the offense mightily. While Grossman is not the long term answer at quarterback, he has had solid games(against the Giants week 1) (against the Cardinals(week 2) etc. One thing that I don't understand is despite Tim Hightower's mid season injury, why did Mike Shanahan wait so long to give Roy Helu giant workloads? Helu could have started the season opener and he would be on pace for 1,000 yards rushing right now. Shanahan micro manages too damn much, which is the one thing that I don't like about him. But he is a Super Bowl winning head coach, and overall I respect him.

The Redskins, without all of the injuries/suspensions, etc could have easily been a 10-6 team this year. We have to wait and see what the future holds for 2012.

I think the defense is pretty decent overall. Though i think we need a slight improvement to our secondary. The offense (at best) is servicable. But what we're lacking are playmakers. Guys who can turn a 5 yard slant into a 60 yrd TD or a guy who you can't toss the ball up to and he just leap and make a play. Because of this lack of explosive WRs, we will not put fear in opposing defenses. I'm looking for an improvement in this area next season. The good thing is that, for the first time in a LONG time, i think we actually have some resemblance of depth on the Oline also RB is certainly a position of strength, especially when Hightower returns next season.

I think a different coaching staff could have done more with this roster. Specifically, the decisions made over the past 2 years with the QB position have been terrible. I have no problem starting Grossman IF there was a younger QB being groomed to take over. However, Shanahan decided to go with McNabb, then Grossman, then Beck, before going back to Grossman. His long term vision for this position means a young QB will need to play next year with "baptism by fire" or we'll have Rex for another year. That makes it difficult to think we can go to the playoffs. I reallly hope I'm wrong because I think this team is every bit as capable as the other 3 teams in the NFC East.

I think a different coaching staff could have done more with this roster. Specifically, the decisions made over the past 2 years with the QB position have been terrible. I have no problem starting Grossman IF there was a younger QB being groomed to take over. However, Shanahan decided to go with McNabb, then Grossman, then Beck, before going back to Grossman. His long term vision for this position means a young QB will need to play next year with "baptism by fire" or we'll have Rex for another year. That makes it difficult to think we can go to the playoffs. I reallly hope I'm wrong because I think this team is every bit as capable as the other 3 teams in the NFC East.

another coaching staff like who? Dont' misunderstand me the McNabb trade was bad. But to think that we haven't made drastic improvements to this roster from 2009-2011 is crazy. Just bear in mind how bad that 2009 roster was. Who else could have done better by this point, esp when factoring in (restricted FA in 2010 and the lockout in 2011)... Neither gave us a normal offseason. But even in spite of that, look at how these young draft picks are playing.

Total team analysis: 4-9 team with injury and depth concerns as well as some pieces that do fit optimally into the system.

We have always had an "old" roster, no matter what coach came into play during the cerrato years and definitely into his latter years of power. This roster is still growing with future draft picks and free agents who are not on it yet. The chemistry just is not there yet.

Prediction: As the team progresses injuries will mean less because there will be depth behind to play at a good level. We saw a bit of that when the reserve linemen came in and played a solid game while sticking to the gameplan. Earlier in the year, that was not the case.

another coaching staff like who? Dont' misunderstand me the McNabb trade was bad. But to think that we haven't made drastic improvements to this roster from 2009-2011 is crazy. Just bear in mind how bad that 2009 roster was. Who else could have done better by this point, esp when factoring in (restricted FA in 2010 and the lockout in 2011)... Neither gave us a normal offseason. But even in spite of that, look at how these young draft picks are playing.

I'm questioning the outcome of many of these games this year. I agree with your points about the draft picks but the QB position has been botched for the past two years. Kerrigan looks like a very good player and was a good draft pick. However, my argument is that QB was a postion of greater need than the hole that Kerrigan filled. The Shanahan/Allen team has done some very good things but my frustration is over losing so many games that should have been W's. I understand injuries but we should have beaten Dallas twice, had the Jets and Patriots on the ropes, and got off to a 3-1 start. I just don't see how this coaching staff has only managed to win 1 out of the last 8 games in a very mediocre league. I'm with you on the young guys, I hope they have a reliable QB next year to grow with.

Total team analysis: 4-9 team with injury and depth concerns as well as some pieces that do fit optimally into the system.

We have always had an "old" roster, no matter what coach came into play during the cerrato years and definitely into his latter years of power. This roster is still growing with future draft picks and free agents who are not on it yet. The chemistry just is not there yet.

Prediction: As the team progresses injuries will mean less because there will be depth behind to play at a good level. We saw a bit of that when the reserve linemen came in and played a solid game while sticking to the gameplan. Earlier in the year, that was not the case.

I'll add:

Team needs going forward: Franchise QB, RT, cover corner, OL depth, SS and WR in that order

Hail!

I'm questioning the outcome of many of these games this year. I agree with your points about the draft picks but the QB position has been botched for the past two years. Kerrigan looks like a very good player and was a good draft pick. However, my argument is that QB was a postion of greater need than the hole that Kerrigan filled. The Shanahan/Allen team has done some very good things but my frustration is over losing so many games that should have been W's. I understand injuries but we should have beaten Dallas twice, had the Jets and Patriots on the ropes, and got off to a 3-1 start. I just don't see how this coaching staff has only managed to win 1 out of the last 8 games in a very mediocre league. I'm with you on the young guys, I hope they have a reliable QB next year to grow with.

I would bet that they draft QB in the 1st round. lets see how they do when they finally get their guy. I get the point about McNabb, Rex, and Beck, but we all know that they were place holders any ways. The true judgement from the QB spot will come when they draft one. If they fail there, then i'm willing to admit that my trust has been overstated. As of now, i'm still on board with what they can do.

Nice read KD.

What are your early thoughts on Willie Smith at RT next season? Would be nice to have RT starter sorted, get a good WR and interior OL in FA then head into the draft. Lot's of ammo to move up if required and barring QB only depth needed though a #1 CB would be nice, but can wait until the following year.

Some of the moves haven't been good, but over all I think our roster is massively improved. Sustained cap dollars and draft picks spent on DL/pass rush and OL with more coming makes me happy.

Just need to add Griffin or Luck (I don't like Barkley).

EDIT: As for game planning/play calling - I hope we're calling plays to not win. A long the lines, playing balanced O we're in danger of winning so call more pass plays till Rex does what Rex does.

First off, nice read Kdawg and thanks for the thread.

This whole "we should run more" thing is getting a little out of hand, though. Watching the games, it's clear that everytime we stop running the ball as many times (or close to as many times) as we pass, it's because the other team's defense is stuffing every run and/or they start bringing up a Safety and crowding the LOS unafraid of the pass.

Look at the games. The first game against the Giants we kept running but they clearly were not respecting our passing game and were focusing in on the run. They stopped pretty much every run. What did we do? Burn them through the air, which is exactly what a good offense should do when team's invite you to it. You don't keep running into a crowded LOS just to say you did. You gash them with play action passes and hitting passes behind their LBers who are up close to the LOS. You only run the ball enough to make sure they stay believing they have to focus on it, but keep punishing them for doing so by play action. That's really what Kyle has done for the most part and the Giants game was where we were most effective offensively up until yesterday.

We then went on a nice run for the next four games until the bye week where we ran the ball well and teams were respecting our passing game because we proved we could burn them through the air if they hone in on our run. Against the Cardinals, Cowboys and Rams we were very effective both running and passing and were quite balanced. The Cowboys did a lot of what the Giants did by crowding the LOS and focusing on the run, but again, we burned them off of play action intermediate throws for doing it.

So what changed? We faced the Eagles who stopped our running game, jumped in front of us fast with a three score lead, and then we abandoned the run to catch up only to have Grossman bring his worse performance as a Redskin to the table. We also lost Moss, Lichtensteiger and Williams that game. Our offense wasn't ready to lose those three key elements to everything we've been doing up to that point. Lichtensteiger was huge for our running game, Williams was huge for both our passing and running game and Moss was just as huge to our passing game as Williams. The depth we had were not ready to play anywhere near their level (that's changed now as they've grown, fortunately).

Rex then got benched for the performance, and in came Beck who at least was mobile enough in the pocket to make some plays though our Oline gave us absolutely no time and couldn't run block either anymore.

Now, with Beck in, people need to remind themselves of just how bad our Oline was at this point. Against the Panthers, we ran the ball effectively with Hightower really bringing it... then he gets hurt! That was it for our running game after that. Neither Helu nor Torain were effective for the three-game stretch that Beck played in. The Oline was simply awful and could create absolutely no gaps for Torain or Helu to run through. There were way too many runs for losses or no gains.

There are really only two games where people can legitimately complain that Kyle didn't run the ball as many times as he should have, and they'd be wrong even about that. Those games were the ones against the 49ers and Jets. Against both teams, we were successful running the ball early on but then it seemed we just started passing for no reason. Well, there was a clear and obvious reason we stopped and it was so to anyone who understands even the most basic concepts of defensive schemes. Both the 49ers and Jets started crowding the LOS and bringing their Safeties in closer. They started to shoot the gaps with the extra guy, basically forcing us to change. THEY WERE NOT DOING THAT AT FIRST, WHICH IS WHY WE WERE SUCCESSFUL RUNNING THE BALL AT FIRST ONLY. They didn't respect our passing game and decided they'll take their chances losing against Beck/Grossman than allowing us to be balanced. Against the 49ers, this worked perfectly as Beck couldn't do a thing and just kept checking it down. Against the Jets, Grossman did make some plays in the passing game but just not enough and it all fell apart at the end.

So, in reality, Kyle is calling plays to be successful. We have a better chance passing the ball than running in those situations. It seems the only way people will believe that is if Kyle just keeps running the ball no matter what the defense does and allows us to get stuffed for three and outs each time. In fact, he did do that once but I can't remember which game it was for the life of me. I just remember he kept running the ball into a wall over and over and was thinking to myself he wants to shut everyone up. I think it was the Bills game. That was our worst offensive performance this year.

It's easy... this board used to complain like crazy how conservative Gibbs was and even Zorn at some points. How many used to say "run, run, pass" a million times everyday on this board in complaint? All they wanted was a coach who would take more chances and be more diverse. Now, we have that guy with Kyle and all everyone does is complain he doesn't run the ball enough. It's clear we're trying to attack defense's weaknesses. We run the ball when they're being honest and we pass when they're not. That's why we're heavy on play action passes even when we haven't run the ball much... it's because we know they're defending the run at all costs and want to punish them for it.

I would love to go on a game by game basis and show why we stopped running the ball as much as we were at first. Heck, if Kyle is so unbalanced as some imply why do we usually start games off so balanced? And, whenever teams can't stop the run or stay honest in their scheme, we continue to be balanced?

All it is at this point is a perception more than anything. Yes, Kyle calls more passing plays than runs in the end and I think that'd be the case even if we were effective running the ball throughout 4 Quarters... but there's nothing wrong with that in today's NFL. You've got to pass the ball to win now. We obviously don't have the QB, WRs nor the Olinemen to do that consistently right now but that doesn't mean you just run the ball ineffectively for the sake of it either. I'm sure the argument will be that we won't be ineffective if we run the ball more, but I don't believe that for one second. If defense's are given the benefit of knowing we'll run the ball a lot they will stop us easily. It's been shown time and time again at this point.

This year we've most effective when:

1) Defense's are playing us honestly and we run/pass in balance. (Cardinals, Rams, Panthers 1st half, 49ers 1st Quarter, Dolphins, Cowboys @ home, Seahawks, Jets 1st Quarter, Patriots)

2) Defense's are not playing us honest and are crowding the LOS, and instead of running the ball ineffectively we burn them through the air (Giants, @ Cowboys, Jets 2nd Quarter and a little in the 3rd Quarter, Panthers 2nd half).

The real issue is we don't have the talent for sustained success in the passing game. For some reason, that means we should run the ball more to everyone when defense's know damn well that's all they'd have the defend then. I'd rather put the ball in Grossman's hand and punish team's for focusing on stopping the run by crowding the LOS and take the chance that he'll turn it over instead of running into a wall and getting my team beat up for nothing.

The major hole on the defense is the same with the offense. Get past the paper thin first string and the depth is non-existent. The D's most glaring hole is obviously the defensive backs. Hall plays well when he has someone over the top so he can jump the route and doesn't have to be prepared for the double move. The safeties are pretty good against the rush, but have trouble covering the really good tight ends over the middle. The corners are told to play off the receivers by about 6 or 7 yards, and if an opponent needs 5 yards, he can just play pitch and catch with a wide receiver all game long because of that. Our corners never challenge the receivers in the first 5 yards and nothing they do ever stops the QB and receivers form establishing a rhythm. Letting Carlos go last year was a mistake, in that Buchanon et al aren't making nay more interceptions than the ones LOS dropped and the team lost a lot of coverage skills when he left.

The offense seemed to have found a couple of WRs in Stallworth and Hankerson. Helu is getting a lot of yards after the intiial hit. But the initial hit is comng way too early. The Skins can't run the ball inisde the tackles and short yardage plays are still a heart stopper because the interior OL can't get a push. It's good that the "depth" is getting some experience, which may pay dividends next year, but this team needs five young, strong OL with a lot more talent than what is currently on the OL. I wanted Beck to succeed badly, but the 3 games he played showed there's not a lot of potential there. As a backup, yeah, who cares? But he was given the chance and failed.

And of course, the start of a rebuilt OL and the only position we had depth at failed the drug screen.

The good news? The good news is that next year, the Skins have Cooley, Hankerson, Jenkins, Davis and WIlliams return, and the Skins will be able to draft any one of three QBs all of whom are better than the top 3 last year. Our second round pick is pretty close to being a first round pick and the third is like a second and the first of our fourths is like a third. I believe Shanny and son, as well as 99% of those that follow football, see that a new QB is needed and even more importantly, right behind it, the need for improving the OL dramatically is obvious once again. The difference this year, is the Skins have the draft picks and the will to improve both, unlike the Vinny years when the Skins never drafted an OL and wasted their draft picks so effectively, they couldn't have got a good one if they wanted to. According to the announcers yesterday, Shanny is dedicated to putting the draft twoard the OL.

Getting great first stringers and moving your current less talented first stringers to depth is one way to build the team. I think that's where the Skins are headed.

Not sure who we can get last year or this year for Qb through FA or draft. I serisously doubt any coaching staffs can turn this aweful team into anything. McNabb to me was a good risk:reward trade. None of us can predict a Probowler Vet refuse to adapt to the system. Many bashed Mike for it and said he will Blow it up in Minny. Still, that trade is a wash since we got a 4th for Cambell and a 2nd by trading back with Jax. We didn't give up a farm for Kolb and look what happens to AZ. We didn't give a 100 million to fragile QB and now sit at the bottom of the Division.

As for the Draft - Imagine if we drafted Gabbert BECAUSE we HAVE TO draft a QB. Dalton is my favorite out of the whole QB draft but Cincy beat us to it.

Give this FO some credit for the BEST draft that we have in a very, very long time. Kerrigan, Helu, Gomes, Paul, Jenkins, Hurt and even Hankerson show a lot of promises. Roysters and Neild give solid depth.

First off, nice read Kdawg and thanks for the thread.

This whole "we should run more" thing is getting a little out of hand, though.

Thanks for the kudos.

However, I'm not sure where I said we needed to be a complete run team. In the OP, unless I typed my thoughts horribly wrong, I said we need balance, with a slight edge toward running the ball. Balance isn't something Kyle Shanahan is too familiar with in his play calling scheme. It's his style, which with a better quarterback, an OL that isn't injured and our starters/an upgrade or two at receiver, would work wonderfully. Heck, I think it would work quite well with just the addition of a QB and a slightly improved offensive line. But, at this point, throwing the ball is 100% Russian Roulette with Rex Grossman in at the QB position. The clock stops more often and opposing offenses get a chance to work again and again.

I do agree with the point that we don't have the talent. Completely.

We seem to simply have a philosophical difference in approach, and that's awesome. I'd be bored if we all thought the same, you know?

---------- Post added December-12th-2011 at 05:32 PM ----------

Nice read KD.

Thank you, sir.

What are your early thoughts on Willie Smith at RT next season?

Watching the game, there were times where he looked okay. But, I'm not sure his footwork and anticipation/recognition levels are where they need to be right now. Though I do like him, and there's no telling what an offseason will do, I'm not sure that he's going to be ready next year. But I'd say he's someone we should keep an eye on. I like both him and Hurt.

---------- Post added December-12th-2011 at 05:33 PM ----------

Nice read KD.

Thank you, sir.

What are your early thoughts on Willie Smith at RT next season?

Watching the game, there were times where he looked okay. But, I'm not sure his footwork and anticipation/recognition levels are where they need to be right now. Though I do like him, and there's no telling what an offseason will do, I'm not sure that he's going to be ready next year. But I'd say he's someone we should keep an eye on. I like both him and Hurt.

Damn, KDawg. Great job as always! Didn't know that you got to speak with Perry Riley personally; that's pretty cool.

I'm sorry for the dicks who contribute nothing but a drive-by criticism. That's frustrating to see in a thread like this.

I like what you, thesubmittedone, and wildbill had to say, even if I don't agree with all of it. I do think that we're passing more than we're running because of the two reasons that you put: A) We're losing a lot of the time and B) Kyle throws it. The balance that he showed yesterday was incredible. Sure, you're gonna get people who say it was against a bad defense, but those are the people who would whine about a 19-0 record not being sustainable the following year.

I'd disagree with wildbill about our depth, at least at receiver. Moss, Gaffney, Hankerson, Paul, Anderson, and Armstrong all look like keepers. I'd love to keep Austin, too.

I think that a very common misconception is that a lack of experience is a lack of depth. If our rookies aren't playing, then that means that the starter didn't go down or get pulled from the game, and those are both (usually) good things.

Helu is getting glossed over by this crap season, but damn, he's something else. It'd be pretty nice to see our own Portis, though that pass protection needs to keep improving. I forget sometimes that we didn't have him for the vast majority of the snaps. As the main carrier, he's *ONLY* had 100-yard games. Not just three in a row; all of them. That's pretty cool.

Like you said, we don't need to be complete, we just need 80% of our existing holes filled, specifically at quarterback, corner, and inside linebacker.

Archived