Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

TH: Pelosi plans to reveal information about Gingrich 'when the time is right'

JMS

She doesn't have to disclose it,simply providing the scent gets the hounds going and changes the dynamics.

Agreed.

After watching another onetime GOP poll leader go down in flames due to general scumminess, Pelosi's "revelation" forces GOP voters to at least pause and ask themselves whether they really want the shady, rough-edged, arrogant, behaviorally challenged risky ideas guy over the smooth, smooth-edged smooth-talking risk-averse smooth-behaving pliable smooth guy. Do they really want to pick sandpaper over Silly Putty?

Hmm. Yeah, maybe that other post was right -- maybe it's a ploy to IMPROVE Newt's numbers in primary polls by pitting him against Nancy in GOP primary voters' eyes.

If so, it's a good move. I don't think it's a stretch to say that Romney's appeal to centrist voters would significantly exceed Gingrich's. And that's where you need to win if you want to be President.

I thought Newt was shrew'd. :)

---------- Post added December-5th-2011 at 06:18 PM ----------

But, as to the actual topic.

1) Loving all the folks trying to turn this comment into a crime being committed by Pelosi.

2) As I kind of implied, earlier, I don't think there's any rule that says stupid people can't succeed in politics.

But it really surprises me when I see them do something that appears to be politically stupid. I'm surprised when they don't even know that much.

And this really strikes me as politically stupid. Nancy Pelosi trying to hint at "I know something bad about Newt"?

That probably gets Newt a 5% boost in the polls. To the Republican primary voter, something like that is like Hitler telling people not to vote for Newt.

You say that as if she thinks that's a bad thing.

I'm one of only a small handful of people who thinks that Newt will actually wind up being a better general election candidate than Romney (as long as no new scandals emerge). Most Democrats would rather see Newt get the nomination.

That no new scandals exemption is a pretty big one....as Pelosi would say

New to Who? :pfft:

Of course it is. But most people disagree even when given the exception. Obviously it's impossible to prove either way, because we won't have two parallel universes in which the only difference is who winds up being the Republican nominee. Right now, I know the polls of head-to-head matchups of Newt/Romney vs. Obama disagree with me. But that's not why I think Newt would ultimately fare slightly better than Romney if we did have those two parallel universes.

....Sounds like she thinks she'll sit on something and then let it out when it embarrasses him the most.
Sounds like she is a partisan HACK (giving up all pretense at "Bipartisanship") that doesn't really care about the truth....just bringing down our confidence in politics

Why not save us all time and effort this election season....... tell us o "Queen Of Truth"

If there is something?......spit it out now

Newt's problem is that he doesn't know how to hide the fact that he's a arrogant jerk.....
Pelosis problem is the same.....

Do you really want to try to argue that it's impossible for stupid people to succeed in politics?

Certainly not impossible, but making it to Speaker of the House takes some political brains which is why saying Pelosi is stupid is quite frankly....stupid.

BTW, in case anyone thinks that I like Pelosi you're wrong, all I'm doing here is contending against the ridiculous notion that the former Speaker of the House is dumb.

Yeah, but that doesn't really matter in Congress.

And Newt isn't running for Congress anymore.

Is Pellosi providing an example of how to blackmail?......NICE

You must have missed the point about Pelosi dragging us down to the cellar

You see this story has at least two participants...and the OTHER is Newt

Funny how the POSSIBLE revelation is worse then the ACTUAL Threat

You say that as if she thinks that's a bad thing.

I'm one of only a small handful of people who thinks that Newt will actually wind up being a better general election candidate than Romney (as long as no new scandals emerge). Most Democrats would rather see Newt get the nomination.

I'm a big time supporter of Newt and I'm glad that he's come back from the dead. Pelosi either needs to come clean or shut the hell up. Seriously, this is making her look like the partisan hack that she is.

Is Pellosi providing an example of how to blackmail?......NICE

No. You must have missed the review of that word's definition, earlier in this very thread.

You must have missed the point about Pelosi dragging us down to the cellar

Right, Nancy Pelosi is responsible for "dragging us down." Certainly other Congress members' actions of note -- killing young girls with vehicular bridge-diving, soliciting gay sex in airport bathrooms, screaming that a sitting President is a liar during his live-broadcast address to Congress on an important issue, impeaching a President for being dishonest about his personal dalliances -- set the high bar which Nancy is now lowering by revealing that she has dirt on a dirty guy, and might share it later if she deems us worthy to receive her shiny gift.

None of those other disgusting displays -- nor the many, many others I didn't mention -- excuse Pelosi's decision to play a gleeful round of "hey, guess what I have on that guy, tell ya later." But it does put her merely in line with a Congress that's currently polling as low as a 9% approval rating. She certainly isn't dragging anything down on her own, given that there's nowhere lower to go. In fact, I imagine that her decision to get dirty with Newt (there's an image for you) probably would, by itself, garner better than 9% approval in a national poll. So if anything she's dragging Congress UP!

;)

Point being: Congress has been down at or near this level for a while now, and the approval ratings have actually exceeded what Congress deserves for far longer than that. Pelosi is doing exactly what Congressional politicians do, so I don't understand why you would pretend that this is any shadier than anything else Congress members do in any given year. It doesn't excuse the behavior, but it certainly offers perspective to those who seem to lack it.

I do appreciate the irony of you sticking up for Newt by complaining about Nancy's personal crusade against him -- the guy who directed the personal crusade against Clinton while doing exactly the same thing as Clinton behind everybody's back. I assume you were shocked -- SHOCKED, I tell ya! -- to learn about that. Did you post on ES about it? Maybe you'd care to share your thoughts on that at this time, about Newt "dragging us down to the cellar." I'll start by sharing my thoughts when I first heard it: "Yeah, that seems about right for Congress."

As I said, Congress has been at this low, low level for a while. Nancy is just another one of them. Maybe you should lower your expectations for that group, because if not then you're just going to be disappointed over and over again. And I don't want to see a fellow Skins fan find any more reasons to be angered and disappointed year after year. We already suffer enough of that.

You see this story has at least two participants...and the OTHER is Newt

Your point being that Newt is the one getting Newted this time, which is new and novel? Couldn't agree more.

Funny how the POSSIBLE revelation is worse then the ACTUAL Threat

Those are the same thing. The possible revelation IS the actual threat.

If you mean to refer to the actual revelation, then there's no way you would actually know whether it's better or worse than the threat until (and if ever) Nancy pulls back the green curtain. It may be nothing. It may be devastating. You have no idea, and neither does almost anybody else at this time.

Archived