Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official(ish) 2012 Quarterback Prospect Thread

KCClybun

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

The reason Barkley gets knocked for talent around him is the fact that he often makes his receivers adjust to the ball and out maneuver the db to make the the catch. Griffins ball placement eliminates that for his receivers and it takes minimal effort on their part to haul it in.

So in other words, Griffin is a more accurate passer than Barkley... who'd thunk of it ;)

Thank my lucky stars and do whatever it takes to outbid anyone else to move up to two and take that very, VERY special kid of Stanford.

Hail.

I agree that we'd still need to move up to 2 because everyone else will be too.

I think it doesn't matter. Luck and RGIII go 1,2 this year regardless.

Play out this scenario for me.

We are sitting at 4.

Cleveland shocks the world and trades up to 1 and drafts RGIII.

What do you do if you are Mike Shannahan?

Trade the farm to get the #2 pick and take Luck. If Luck goes 1 we probably need to trade to #2 to get RGIII anyway.

I agree that we'd still need to move up to 2 because everyone else will be too.

I think it doesn't matter. Luck and RGIII go 1,2 this year regardless.

I have come to the same conclusion.

You can't sit there at 4 and hope that St. Louis doesn't trade down to Cleveland or Miami... and hope that Minny doesn't decide they want RGIII instead of Ponder..

Barkley is a miss IMO... I wouldn't draft him. I thought the same about Gabbert and our Front office has probably or will probably come to the same conclusion on him.

if we miss Luck and RGIII.. we'll be drafting a QB in the 2nd unfortunately.

My new favorite guy is Brandon Weeden... Oklahoma State QB. Problem with him is he'll be 28.

So if we go with young.. next best option for us is probably Tannehill.

We'll have to be careful though... if Miami or someone reaches and takes Tannehill in the late 1st.. we'd be screwed...

I would weep into my beer while watching the draft..

Play out this scenario for me.

We are sitting at 4.

Cleveland shocks the world and trades up to 1 and drafts RGIII.

What do you do if you are Mike Shannahan?

If I'm Mike I spend about .00000243 seconds thinking it through and then get the Rams on the phone to get Luck. Hell, the Colts have a healthy Manning and decide to trade the #1 pick I would rather give up a little more to move up for Luck, especially if I'm essentially resigned to having to trade up anyway. Of course that last scenario is a little different than the one where the Browns have already moved up.

Barkley will in no way be a bust. He may not have the ceiling RG3 and some other guys have, but he will be ready to step in and start from day one. Living in socal, USC fans annoy the crap out of me. But I watch the games and Barkley can flat out play. This is not Matt Leinart we're talking about. Ending up with him would not be the end of the world.

QBs stock will rise and fall over the next few months. It always happen. There's some guy thought as a first rounder right now who will go in round three. There's another guy who is thought as a third rounder who will go in round one.

If for some reason we are unable to land Luck or RG3, and they are not in love with Barkley, the guy that is at the top of the next tier of QB's for me is Nick Foles. He has that prototypical size(6'5", 240lbs), well above average arm strength, has started a lot of games at the college level(senior). He has put up some very good numbers on below average teams. If Foles had atleast an average OL in front of him, he probably approaches 4800 yards this season. It is also worth noting that Arizona had a well below average rushing attack this season. Before you shoot down the idea, i encourage some of you to review some of his clips and let me know what you think. im curious to see how others view him.

If for some reason we are unable to land Luck or RG3' date=' and they are not in love with Barkley, the guy that is at the top of the next tier of QB's for me is Nick Foles. He has that prototypical size(6'5", 240lbs), well above average arm strength, has started a lot of games at the college level(senior). He has put up some very good numbers on below average teams. If Foles had atleast an average OL in front of him, he probably approaches 4800 yards this season. It is also worth noting that Arizona had a well below average rushing attack this season. Before you shoot down the idea, i encourage some of you to review some of his clips and let me know what you think. im curious to see how others view him.[/quote']

Foles is a decent prospect. But we would need to take a strong look at Brandon Weeden, regardless of age. Weeden is a top tier prospect but only knocked due to his age.

Barkley will in no way be a bust. He may not have the ceiling RG3 and some other guys have, but he will be ready to step in and start from day one. Living in socal, USC fans annoy the crap out of me. But I watch the games and Barkley can flat out play. This is not Matt Leinart we're talking about. Ending up with him would not be the end of the world.

QBs stock will rise and fall over the next few months. It always happen. There's some guy thought as a first rounder right now who will go in round three. There's another guy who is thought as a third rounder who will go in round one.

See, this is the problem with hindsight, we say Barkley can flat out play but Leinart couldn't. Leinart would have been the 1st overall pick his junior year, and was still a top 10 pick his senior year. In college he absolutely looked like he could play. What ruined him in the pros was a prima donna attitude with bad work ethic (neither trait was really discovered until he hit the pros), but he was at LEAST as talented a passer as Barkley is now. Truth is, if you draft Barkley you don't think he's a more talented passer than Leinart was, you just hope he has a much better work ethic.

Foles is a decent prospect. But we would need to take a strong look at Brandon Weeden, regardless of age. Weeden is a top tier prospect but only knocked due to his age.

I agree with you. Weeden is good.

But he's 28... that hurts... if it was 24 or 25.. i could live with it. But if he's turning 29 the first year with your club. Its tough, but if I were a GM, I would probably pass on him because of that.

See, this is the problem with hindsight, we say Barkley can flat out play but Leinart couldn't. Leinart would have been the 1st overall pick his junior year, and was still a top 10 pick his senior year. In college he absolutely looked like he could play. What ruined him in the pros was a prima donna attitude with bad work ethic (neither trait was really discovered until he hit the pros), but he was at LEAST as talented a passer as Barkley is now. Truth is, if you draft Barkley you don't think he's a more talented passer than Leinart was, you just hope he has a much better work ethic.

I like Barkley a lot more than I liked Leinart or Sanchez coming out. Even Palmer, who never had to make a read after his first because everybody was so wide open.

Hey, it's just my opinion. Again, I hate USC, but there is something about Barkley that I really like.

Lots of promising QBs in this draft. We picked a good year to have a top five pick.

I'm not really that high on Barkley - I think his physical ability is in the good not great range - but one thing which is very much in his favour is by all accounts he has a great attitude and is a hard worker. I would not worry he is going to spend draft weekend in Vegas (like Leaf) or more time in the hot tub than film room (like Leinart).

I agree with you. Weeden is good.

But he's 28... that hurts... if it was 24 or 25.. i could live with it. But if he's turning 29 the first year with your club. Its tough, but if I were a GM, I would probably pass on him because of that.

it hurts, but it doesnt kill us... He's mature, some play in to their late 30's, has the intangibles and would be a top 10 pick if younger. This is a Patriots type move (getting known talent later in the draft) and I'd love for that to be motivation for us if we can not get RG3 or Luck. It will also allow us to get the BPA available in the first round or trade or pick for more picks and still come out with a top talent QB who would be with us for at least 6-7 years. Having Weeden will give you the option of building a complete team for years while he's at the helm and when his time is up you go back to the QB search. Again, this is only if we do not get RG3 or Luck

it hurts, but it doesnt kill us... He's mature, some play in to their late 30's, has the intangibles and would be a top 10 pick if younger. This is a Patriots type move (getting known talent later in the draft) and I'd love for that to be motivation for us if we can not get RG3 or Luck. It will also allow us to get the BPA available in the first round or trade or pick for more picks and still come out with a top talent QB who would be with us for at least 6-7 years. Having Weeden will give you the option of building a complete team for years while he's at the helm and when his time is up you go back to the QB search. Again, this is only if we do not get RG3 or Luck

I get you.. but rather than a franchise guy... he's immediately viewed as a 5 or 6 year placeholder. It won't feel like we are building anything because we still have to deal with that position.

I agree with you that after Luck and RGIII, he's probably the best talent for QB on the board. But your are taking a chance no matter what.. so i'd rather take a stab at a young guy in the 2nd like Tannehill or Foles and hope we snagged a young Aaron Rogers than be dealing with a placeholder again.

that does suck for Weeden.. because if he were 22, he'd be up there with Luck and RGIII I think.

I get you.. but rather than a franchise guy... he's immediately viewed as a 5 or 6 year placeholder. It won't feel like we are building anything because we still have to deal with that position.

I agree with you that after Luck and RGIII, he's probably the best talent for QB on the board. But your are taking a chance no matter what.. so i'd rather take a stab at a young guy in the 2nd like Tannehill or Foles and hope we snagged a young Aaron Rogers than be dealing with a placeholder again.

that does suck for Weeden.. because if he were 22, he'd be up there with Luck and RGIII I think.

Its a leap of faith for any player to stay with your team for the long haul... for a late round guy, you can still add the pieces around him early. Hell, at our position, we could take his boy Blackmon and build a serious team around him next year, a team worthy of contention. Would you take those 5-6 years of consistent playoff contention? Nothings guaranteed, and using say, a 4th on Weeden would be excellent in terms of filling the missing pieces earlier.

I like Tannehill, he has a great arm, nice mechanics and is very athletic as an ex receiver. He is very raw though and would need at least a year and maybe two sat having the edges knocked off and learning the system IMO.

I think we need someone who can start a lot sooner than that.

Its a leap of faith for any player to stay with your team for the long haul... for a late round guy, you can still add the pieces around him early. Hell, at our position, we could take his boy Blackmon and build a serious team around him next year, a team worthy of contention. Would you take those 5-6 years of consistent playoff contention? Nothings guaranteed, and using say, a 4th on Weeden would be excellent in terms of filling the missing pieces earlier.

I guess if we miss Luck and RGIII.. then Blackmon and catching Weeden in the 4th is a viable option.

But i'd put a stipulation in there that we must also bring in another QB in FA. We won't be married to Weeden with a 4th, but I cannot endure another season of Grossman and I think another season of Grossman would sink the Shanny's.

We'd have to bring in Flynn or someone.

I like Tannehill, he has a great arm, nice mechanics and is very athletic as an ex receiver. He is very raw though and would need at least a year and maybe two sat having the edges knocked off and learning the system IMO.

I think we need someone who can start a lot sooner than that.

yeah.. I think that is true of both Tannehill and Foles. But particularly Tannehill.

Weeden could probably start right away. (i.e... he'd have to for obvious reasons)

I guess if we miss Luck and RGIII.. then Blackmon and catching Weeden in the 4th is a viable option.

But i'd put a stipulation in there that we must also bring in another QB in FA. We won't be married to Weeden with a 4th, but I cannot endure another season of Grossman and I think another season of Grossman would sink the Shanny's.

We'd have to bring in Flynn or someone.

or pick up Kellen Moore in the later rounds. Id be perfectly fine with 2 QB's this draft. Let Kellen Moore put on some weight and develop... Could get him in the 6 possibly

---------- Post added December-14th-2011 at 02:43 PM ----------

Gota' say I'd be pretty darn disappointed if ended up with the Cowboy.

Nothing against Brandon, who seems a very level headed, mature family guy, as well as being a heck of a collegiate QB; but drafting our guy of tomorrow, who'll be 29 through his first year here is not a savvy road to go down for me.

Hail.

its definitely not ideal, but could be an option if RG3 and Luck are taken. Grossman and Beck are not the answer.

Archived