Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LB Coach Lou Spanos Relays a Vampire Signal to Fletcher

Boss_Hogg

I don't know what he was trying to signal.... I would guess predator... but the Predator is a 4-3 flex, like Arizona used to run back in the "Desert Swarm" days... it's not a play.

That being said... I want Spanos (the real link to the Leboux defense) to be the Def Coordinator next season.

I don't know what he was trying to signal.... I would guess predator... but the Predator is a 4-3 flex, like Arizona used to run back in the "Desert Swarm" days... it's not a play.

That being said... I want Spanos (the real link to the Leboux defense) to be the Def Coordinator next season.

Predator was the personnel package using three safeties. That was a previous coaching staff so I really doubt we're still using that terminlogy.

As far as replacing Haslett I don't understand the logic behind it. I didn't want him to begin with but he has worked miracles with this defense over the course of a season. We still don't have a full roster of 3-4 players yet we're in the top 10 while being tied for #1 in sacks. That is what we all cried for wasn't it? More sacks and turnovers? The fact that we've had as many sacks as we have, playing behind is amazing. Let the man play with a lead from time to time and those numbers would be even better.

As far as replacing Haslett I don't understand the logic behind it. I didn't want him to begin with but he has worked miracles with this defense over the course of a season. We still don't have a full roster of 3-4 players yet we're in the top 10 while being tied for #1 in sacks. That is what we all cried for wasn't it? More sacks and turnovers? The fact that we've had as many sacks as we have, playing behind is amazing. Let the man play with a lead from time to time and those numbers would be even better.

Good point, brah. I've never really been a big fan of Haslett (mostly because of his hair) but I think our D is giving some good looks against opposing teams.

There are only 3 other teams in the league who have forced more fumbles than us, (same with sacks) but we are still near the bottom when it comes to INTs.

The Packers are clearly the best team in football and they lead the league in picks by a landslide right now. We need a real shutdown corner to make this defense run the way it should.

The Packers are clearly the best team in football and they lead the league in picks by a landslide right now. We need a real shutdown corner to make this defense run the way it should.

A shutdown corner would do this defense, or any defense, wonders but I'm not sure that is really necessary. Green Bay has so many interceptions because they are always playing with a lead. Often times that lead is multiple scores. When you can make a team one dimensional it's easy to get into those nickel and dime packages, pin your ears back and rush the passer. That gives DB's a much better opportunity to make plays on the ball. If you look at Green Bay's roster they have some very good corners and safeties but none of them are of the "shutdown" variety. They play good team defense and they have an offense that puts them in positions to be opportunistic, whereas ours does the opposite.

Im afraid as soon as our offense starts scoring points regularly, our D will return to average at best.. Were almost always behind and teams start eating clock, playing conservative.. Whenever we compete, the D gives up whatever is needed to keep us off the W column.. Love the sacks and stuff for the stat chart though..

Predator was the personnel package using three safeties. That was a previous coaching staff so I really doubt we're still using that terminlogy.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they called that 3 safety pacakage "Cobra"

My guess is the "fang" signal being given by the LB coach (not Haslett the DC) was a change of LB responsibility in whatever D was called. Probably just added something like a run blitz into the existing defensive call. I'm pretty sure that was the first (and last) time I've laughed at anything Moose has said.

Im afraid as soon as our offense starts scoring points regularly, our D will return to average at best.. Were almost always behind and teams start eating clock, playing conservative.. Whenever we compete, the D gives up whatever is needed to keep us off the W column.. Love the sacks and stuff for the stat chart though..

That really doesn't concern me. Up until the Miami game when we completely fell apart we were top 5 in preventing third down conversions. I think we're somewhere middle of the pack now. We're also tied for second in sacks on the season. First place and one of the 2 teams we are tied with have played one more game than us (Baltimore and NYG). Both teams have seen more pass attempts than us (362, 352 respectively) compared to our 313. We're tied for third in FF, first and second place have played one more game (BAL and SF).

We've given up only 11 passing touchdowns, 26th most in the league. Where we need to improve is in interceptions (7) and completion percentage (62%, 10th worst). Unfortunately when opposing teams can play with a lead they can stick to high percentage passes not forcing anything into coverage.

Our defense isn't top 5, but it's good enough to win games with a competent offense. As mentioned earlier a good cover corner could do wonders, as could a run stuffing NT or a ILB that can cover in addition to stuffing the run.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they called that 3 safety pacakage "Cobra"

You're not wrong, I was mistaken. Good memory.

Previous coaching staff called three safties "cobra." Predator is a formation.

I'm probably Haslett's biggest critic here. Seriously.

And if he were to be canned, I'd want Spanos to take over.

That said, even I have to say we can't just dump Haslett quite yet. At the very least, we have continuity. And while the offense builds, the defense may get better. Can't get behind canning him, even though I think he was a bad hire in the first place. But he's here now. He deserves time.

I agree with you. The continuity is key so Haslett will be around for awhile. Spanos didn't come to DC to remain an assistant his entire career so would the FO let Haslett go and promote Spanos?

The bigger issue is Fletcher...

His contract is up, he's finally becoming injury prone after being an ironman for so long, and we don't have anyone to replace him....

Hopefully he'll agree to a 1-year contract and we find a replacement for him next year through the draft....

The bigger issue is Fletcher...

His contract is up, he's finally becoming injury prone after being an ironman for so long, and we don't have anyone to replace him....

Hopefully he'll agree to a 1-year contract and we find a replacement for him next year through the draft....

Your calling a guy who has still yet to EVER miss a game in his NFL career injury prone? For everything he has done for this team London deserves a 3 year contract and a chance to retire as a redskin. And I hope after he retires he transitions into coaching for us as well.

Your calling a guy who has still yet to EVER miss a game in his NFL career injury prone? For everything he has done for this team London deserves a 3 year contract and a chance to retire as a redskin. And I hope after he retires he transitions into coaching for us as well.

I mean he's becoming injury prone... And that's understandable due to how old he is. He's missed more plays this season than every other season combined... Just sticking with Fletcher with no backup plan doesn't seem very wise. I think the best bet is to start actively looking for his future replacement.

Archived