Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Being a Redskins Fan: The Pain Won't Be Over Until It's Over

kleese

I dunno TK......I think Snyder wants to be patient and give Shanny at least four years, but if we're still hovering at .500 and below at the end of 2013, Dan is gonna wonder what he's paying $7 million per year for.

I disagree, but we're both speculating, so who knows. But, I really, REALLY think that Bruce Allen has Snyder's ear, and has shown him how a true GM runs things. I don't think Snyder will do ANYTHING without Bruce's okay.

Here is my thing.

Who on earth expected anything different this year?

This roster was so awful going into training camp that a couple of nice preseason games changed expectations.

The only thing that has surprised me this season was starting off 3-1

Meaningless.

Doesn't matter if I think the 2012 Redskins will go 4-12: when I see it actually happen it will still suck and still be frustrating. My expectations have been pretty low over the years and I still come away feeling like crap; doesn't matter what I think will happen... All that matters is what happens.

if you can remove the idea that we're going to be good from your head, the team is kinda fun to watch. theres glimpses of guys that can be real difference makers for the next 4-6 years, theres no heart racing and worry about winning the game, we're GOING to lose lol.

so relax and stay calm. next year will most likely be more the same unless we strike gold with our rookie QB.

2013 is when we can start worrying about W/L.

Meaningless.

Doesn't matter if I think the 2012 Redskins will go 4-12: when I see it actually happen it will still suck and still be frustrating. My expectations have been pretty low over the years and I still come away feeling like crap; doesn't matter what I think will happen... All that matters is what happens.

You are frustrated, as am I. But unlike many in our fanbase, you aren't a whining baby. You see the big picture.

This sucks. I get it. But we *needed* this as a franchise, the true bottoming out, to get in position to get the QB we'll need. Along with that, getting a HIGH 2nd rounder, and HIGH 3rd rounder will pay huge dividends in April.

Its not fun. I get it. I am just hoping that what I think will happen bears fruit. I have just chosen to ignore the present :)

---------- Post added November-13th-2011 at 11:09 PM ----------

if you can remove the idea that we're going to be good from your head, the team is kinda fun to watch. theres glimpses of guys that can be real difference makers for the next 4-6 years, theres no heart racing and worry about winning the game, we're GOING to lose lol.

so relax and stay calm. next year will most likely be more the same unless we strike gold with our rookie QB.

I think we have been on the same page since last summer

Welcome to PreSeason, the extended version. :)

Speaking of free agency- accept for young hogs; I don't want us to venture much in free agency until we have a good core. We use free agency to fill in a hole, missing piece. Don't use free agency to rebuild.

core of young players:

Defense: Kerrigan, Orakpo, Carriker, Bowen, Cofield, Hall, Neild, Riley, and Landry depending on contract. thats a solid nucleus to build around. we're missing a true NT and another good corner, so FA is where this group needs to make moves.

Offense: Helu, Davis, Williams, Hankerson, Paul, Austin, Hurt. This is the side of the ball that needs massive help. QB is the most glaring need, more olineman are badly needed for depth and for interior starting, more speed at RB is key as well. FA should be C/RT and the best WR on the market.

2 more good drafts, and a real QB and by 2013 things are gonna be looking up. kyle knows how to call a game despite what people seem to think, mike is a great head coach, and haslett would probably have a much better time calling games if our offense was competent at all (and frankly haslett could go, i havent been overly impressed with him, but hes not a major problem).

Meaningless.

Well, we have never finished 3-13, 2-14, 1-15 or 0-16. If we don't win another game; this will be the Skins worst season ever. Maybe next year, our franchise QB only leads us to a worse record next year while learning the ropes.

There were several glimpses into the future today. You just had to stay emotionally unattached & level headed to see them.

Hang in there Ed. Rome wasn't built in a day & we're still about two years out from being seriously competive.

I hope our fearless owner will share your patience and let the rebuilding process take it's course.

You've arrived where I ended up during Zorn's tenure. I thought I'd feel better this season but frankly I'm watching this staff and I'm not feeling confidence. Last year I think they realized things were worse than they expected half way into the season (not an exact measurement). This year it feels like it's happening again. The sudden roster moves, the constantly changing RB, and the surprise QB change strikes me as... well I'll just say strange. I didn't expect the wheels to come off like they have this season. It's not that I expected them to be good but I didn't expect them to be worse and compare badly to teams lead by Spurrier and Zorn.

This team feels cursed. That's the only way I can describe it. No matter the coaching staff or the coordinator everything fails. Players that come here underachieve and players that leave too often improve.

I don't think it's as bad as Shanahan fans think it is.

I refuse to give equity to the man based on past suckage ESPECIALLY when all he's done is **** up and lie about it since day one and when his on the field product is NO BETTER than Zorn's or Spurrier's. He has NOTHING to hang his hat on in two offseasons and 25 games.

Shanahan sucks, it's obvious, this team is an old tit thanks to him being a washed up senile coach who has nothing to prove.

Keep the GM, but find another coach, someone hungry, someone who wants to work with a rookie QB because Shanahan obviously doesn't, if he did they'd be 25 or 9 games into that player's tenure.

Two completely lost seasons and only more losing in the future, pure ******* genius, thanks Coach Mike!

Meanwhile in SF, the ******* 49ers are 8-1 with a rookie coach who had NO OFFSEASON and Alex Smith at QB. Yeah, Shanahan really has this team on the move.

I feel your pain and I actually wanted Fisher here when Zorn was canned (I see your sig), I thought we needed a younger, hungry coach and I still do, but honestly the last thing we need to do at this point is blow things up and start over. That's the reason why we're where we are now. Give Shanahan a few more years to show what he can do and if we're still finishing at the bottom of the league, then yes by all means let's find a new coach.

Well, we have never finished 3-13, 2-14, 1-15 or 0-16. If we don't win another game; this will be the Skins worst season ever. Maybe next year, our franchise QB only leads us to a worse record next year while learning the ropes.

we finished 3-13 shulers rookie year, 1994. so we have finished that poorly before. we also went 1-12-1 and 1-9-2 in 1960 and 1961.

so while its been worse, this would be down there.

And I dont think some people comprehend how hard it is to replace all five starters on the offensive line in two years.

but find another coach, someone hungry, someone who wants to work with a rookie QB because Shanahan obviously doesn't, if he did they'd be 25 or 9 games into that player's tenure.

I love the statement taken in context with your sig - a picture of a coach neither hungry nor willing to work with young QBs.

Meanwhile in SF, the ******* 49ers are 8-1 with a rookie coach who had NO OFFSEASON and Alex Smith at QB. Yeah, Shanahan really has this team on the move.

Considering SF is in year 7 of their rebuild, I'm not sure how this is in anyway connected to our team.

Agreed. Unrealistic expectations lead to unreasonable disappointment over THIS season's team. You're already seeing Bruce Allen's draft picks performing. He just needs more time. This team, with this coach, will get there.

Come on, though, people are fans. To look at a season like an "emotionally unattached" robot is no way to approach football as a fan.

And those unrealistic expectations were certainly fueled by the coaches and players alike. It's not like Shanahan has ever even admitted to rebuilding (except for his slip when talking about his conversation with Kyle). We had the great Rexy saying we were going to "win the East." We had London Fletcher saying, "This is a special team." We had incredible reports out of practice every week about how everything was different, the team had turned a corner, etc.

So yeah, as fans, no one should be embarrassed about hoping for better than what we're looking at right now, or even for expecting better. The injury bug bit pretty hard, but it's no excuse for what we're seeing out there right now.

I do like the draft we just had, and that's the only thing that's keeping me remotely optimistic for the future. I just am really getting more and more skeptical of Mike's ability as a coach at this point, as well as Kyle. Despite the challenges of playing rookies and dealing with injuries, we shouldn't be seeing this level of ineptitude on offense week after week. The team just seems utterly clueless.

More time is the only option we have right now, but we really need to start seeing some improvement in year 3 of this regime. I don't think we can expect much of anything for this season with our current laughing stock of a QB situation.

A Bears fan friend of mine texts me constantly, saying, "I'm so sorry you have to live with the hell that is Rex Grossman now." Everyone knew this but Shanny. He's Shanny's Wuerfell. "He'll fit my system. I'll make the rest of the league look like fools."

Beck should never be behind a center again for a pro team. Everyone knew that but Shanny.

McNabb was done before we traded a 2nd and fourth for him! Most people knew that but Shanny.

I don't question his knowledge, but I question his ego, his arrogance and his "adapt to my system" mentality. I've always preferred guys that take players and adapt to what they have, like Gibbs did. I say this after watching Andre Carter get 4 sacks tonight and Rogers getting two more picks to add to his excellent season.

In any case, the track record is certainly there for him, so that buys him more time. But soon, he's going to need to use his present to buy that time, not his past.

There were several glimpses into the future today. You just had to stay emotionally unattached & level headed to see them.

Hang in there Ed. Rome wasn't built in a day & we're still about two years out from being seriously competive.

Right.. but how much of Rome was built in 15 years? Or to be fair.. 2? I'd imagine a reasonable amount....

---------- Post added November-13th-2011 at 11:28 PM ----------

Bottom line is with any building project you expect to see signs of progress.. this team has scored one td in the last 3 games.... this is teh suck.

Right.. but how much of Rome was built in 15 years? Or to be fair.. 2? I'd imagine a reasonable amount...

Bottom line is with any building project you expect to see signs of progress.. this team has scored one td in the last 3 games.... this is teh suck.

You can't see this because of this.

Not that I think he'd do as well here but Andre Carter is lining up at DE in a 3-4 alignment and has 4 sacks tonight. Rogers goes on and gets INTs all over the place. The team's choices at QBs have been terrible. New coaches come into situations where teams were losing and a QB was on the way out (Smith) and without a training camp were able to mold the team into a winner (and don't forget MIke Smith in Atlanta, though they are not a great team at this point.)

Please, don't tell me how they were in year 10 of a rebuild in Atlanta, they were an absolute shambles after Petrino left and they brought in a new coach and a rookie QB.

I refuse to give equity to the man based on past suckage ESPECIALLY when all he's done is **** up and lie about it since day one and when his on the field product is NO BETTER than Zorn's or Spurrier's. He has NOTHING to hang his hat on in two offseasons and 25 games.

Shanahan sucks, it's obvious, this team is an old tit thanks to him being a washed up senile coach who has nothing to prove.

Keep the GM, but find another coach, someone hungry, someone who wants to work with a rookie QB because Shanahan obviously doesn't, if he did they'd be 25 or 9 games into that player's tenure.

Two completely lost seasons and only more losing in the future, pure ******* genius, thanks Coach Mike!

The 49s were under coached with the last regime. They had one the best RBs in the league before this year. The trenches on both sides are spectacular.

And that's the problem, sort of.

We've never been bad enough to get a franchise QB.

Sadly, unless you pick in a deep QB class like 2004 or get lucky (Brady, Rodgers, Cutler to an extent), picking in the middle to late part of the 1st or later gets you your Jason Campbells and Patrick Ramseys. But look at the young franchise QBs - Ryan, Stafford, Newton, as well as some older guys, like Rivers and Eli Manning. Top 5 picks.

Hell, Alex Smith looks like he might finally justify his draft position to an extent. By the end of his career he might be "merely" a disappointment, as opposed to a bust.

This fanbase needs to realize that before you can get good, you have to SUCK, and sometimes suck hard. It sounds like everyone wants to go back to when we were chasing 8-8 and were "relevant" in December but not really. It takes time. Shut up and stop complaining. We as a fanbase aren't entitled to success because we were good in 1991.

If this fanbase can't handle a rebuild, even if it doesn't look pretty or cute or whatever, then get off the wagon, sell your gear, and get back on when the team gets good. Of course, it'll show what kind of fan you are.

The 49s were under coached with the last regime. They had one the best RBs in the league before this year. The trenches on both sides are spectacular.

I hear that but look at how critical QB play was..lots of you keep talking about the Niners having a team already but lots of people questioned their overall talent, or failing that, the QB. It is Harbaugh who is doing the right things with Alex Smith and THAT is the difference in their team, even more than defense (though important.) And what some of us think is that maybe THIS team is and has been undercoached, even during our playoff years (though less so, of course.) And that once we get a QB that is worth something, we'll see a real change.

I mean, look at New Orleans. They were, what 8-8 Brees' first year but look at them the following year (by the way, 8-8 is still a hell of a lot better than what we are now.) New coach, new QB who can do something...constantly shifting OTHER parts.

Not that I think he'd do as well here but Andre Carter is lining up at DE in a 3-4 alignment and has 4 sacks tonight. Rogers goes on and gets INTs all over the place. The team's choices at QBs have been terrible. New coaches come into situations where teams were losing and a QB was on the way out (Smith) and without a training camp were able to mold the team into a winner (and don't forget MIke Smith in Atlanta, though they are not a great team at this point.)

Please, don't tell me how they were in year 10 of a rebuild in Atlanta, they were an absolute shambles after Petrino left and they brought in a new coach and a rookie QB.

its QB my friend. atlanta got a good one and everything else worked out.

when we hit on one, we'll know.

We should change our name to the Washington Construction workers. We are in year 15 of a 3 year rebuilding period.

Well, we haven't really been rebuilding. We were in a perpetual state of reloading, thinking we were just a couple of players away. We constantly traded away picks for has beens. That is not rebuilding. This past off-season was really the first sign in ages of a rebuild. We actually had a lot of draft picks. This is really our first step to a true rebuild.

Shanny's not going anywhere until he deceides to retire. If anything, Dan will extend his contract. Dan knows this is a long haul operation.

I am so relieved to hear this. Not that I really believed he would fire Shanny, but it does put any doubts to rest. Like I've said before, we have no other option but to let this man remake the Redskins the way he sees fit. We cannot continue this cycle of firing coaching staffs that don't produce by year two.

its QB my friend. atlanta got a good one and everything else worked out.

when we hit on one, we'll know.

I agree. I am, I admit, a little concerned that Shanahan will be staring at RG3 at #2 or #3 and will pass. I don't know, I'm trusting him less and less with certain evaluations but that might just be pessimism seeping into my analysis.

Archived