Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Being a Redskins Fan: The Pain Won't Be Over Until It's Over

kleese

Yes, this is the most poetic thing I can come up with right now....

Over the years, I've tried to be a voice of reason, tried to remain calm, and always have tried to take a Longview and post things I thought might help other fans see things differently and/or feel a bit better.

Right now, I got nothing.

My overall stance hasn't changed much... I'm still preaching patience, still reminding folks what an utter pile of dog poo this regime inherited. I still liked the approach we took this off season and I am absolutely encouraged at the performance of guys like Hankerson, Kerrigan, Riley, etc. And I know it is not fair for me or any other fans to take out past frustrations on the current regime.

But it just doesn't matter. It doesn't matter what my brain tells me. All that really matters is that we aren't even to Thanksgiving yet and the Redskins are irrelevant. Again.

It's disheartening to see other teams ebb and flow and then see the Redskins stuck in neutral... Or worse.

I don't want anyone fired and I'm not revolting. But I'd also by lying if I told you I was sure this was going to all work out. I think we are making progress organizational, but I can't say that for sure.

This brings me to the title of my thread. I'm so jaded and my expectations are so low that I probably won't really "believe" until it's too late. I probably won't see it coming. If we start 8-2 next year, I'll be waiting for the collapse. Regardless of which QB we get this off season I'll probably assume he won't be the right one.

And that stinks because it takes all the fun out of it. I am excited about Dallas week? No. I'd love to be pumped, but I'm not. I'm too much of a fan to ignore the game and not watch, which means I'll just prepare to watch us get rolled by our rivals as their fans storm our stadium and celebrate all day long.

Will I be excited about the draft? Probably not. I mean, we actually draft fairly week (Kerrigan is great) but it never seems to matter.

I'm probably not going to believe again until I SEE it... Until we clinch the East ior until our QB leads a dramatic comeback win in New York.... It's funny, even in two of the good years we've had since 1991 (2005 and 2007) I had hit a point of despair where I thought the season was over. By the time I realized we really were rallying, I hardly had time to enjoy it.

Quite simply, it is very, very hard to be a Redskins fan. And it's REALLY hard to stay hopeful even if you see a few things you like.

Watching this Jets-Pats game is fascinating to me. I can't even imagine what it is like to play a high stakes divisional game that fans around the country are interested in.

I thought about it today and the Browns were the only team I came up with where I'd probably prefer our situation to theirs. That's it.

Somewhere around 2001-2002 I figured we'd paid our dues and we were bound to be gold again soon... Figured a decade of disappointment was enough. Here we are a decade later and I feel no differently. It is so frustrating and so disheartenting.

At this point, I'm relying on blind luck. Just praying that whoever we get to play QB is a gem... A player so good that not even WE can mess him up.

It isn't Shanny's fault that I am a miserable fan that wallows in self-pity over what our franchise has become. That really isn't his fault and I know he's trying to get us out of it by doing it the right way. But it just all looks so familiar.

I hate to say it, I really do. But it would be nice if we could just fast forward and end the season now.... Again.

There were several glimpses into the future today. You just had to stay emotionally unattached & level headed to see them.

Hang in there Ed. Rome wasn't built in a day & we're still about two years out from being seriously competive.

No- you just adjust your fandom. Instead of being a fan of a team that will compete for championships; you are a fan of loveable losers that find different ways to lose each year. Occasionally, you may get a playoff birth or .500 season; for the most part you will just lose and lose.

I think as long as Snyder is the owner; the Skins will be this way. Since I'm 43; the Skins will be like this the rest of my life.

Well, there is always 2013. I've already written 2012 off. This team needs 2 and maybe even 3 solid drafts. Hopefully, 2011 is year one.

I am also convinced that the coach that may lead us out of our misery; isn't currently on the staff. My gut says Shanny gets the team to a certain point and Danny decides to move on. Then that successor takes what is there and fine tunes it and we finally reach the promise land. If course, that's dreaming.

In reality, Shanny will reach some point where Danny has had enough and then we go through this again with the next guy. Instead of a new coach every 2 years; say it's a new coach every 3 or 4 years. We are the Washington Redskins. Sorry, that's how I feel.

Will I be excited about the draft? Probably not. I mean, we actually draft fairly week (Kerrigan is great) but it never seems to matter.

Honestly, the draft is all I'm looking forward to at this point. The 2012 draft is probably going to determine whether or not Shanahan finishes up his contract here. If he drafts the right QB and can at least show some promise next season, then I think he will be fine. If he drafts a bust that shows no upside whatsoever in the next two seasons, I think he'll get his contract cut a year short and then who knows what will happen.

It's sad to have most of the fanbase looking forward to the draft in the middle of November, but that's what we get for all of the dumb decisions that Snyder has made over the last decade.

I feel the same about fast forwarding the season. I think we may be worse than the Browns at this point. Not sure, but ... it's gotta be close.

Honestly, it's not hyperbole at all to say that this is now one of the three worst teams in the league, easy.

I too liked the draft this offseason. I liked some of the FA pickups, and I got taken in with the "this team is special" mumbo jumbo, although at 3-1, I had a feeling the other shoe was gonna drop. Didn't know it'd be a steel-toed boot.

"It's really hard to be a Redskin fan." Now that is an understatement. It's incredibly hard. But, I couldn't change it if I wanted to, and on days like this, I really do - almost - want to.

It's just bizarre to see so many people come here, people with immaculate resumes, and fail. Utterly fail. It's too soon to call Shanny's tenure here a failure, of course, but ... I"m sure this isn't what he envisioned after just 1 and a half seasons.

The way the team is playing goes way beyond the way a rebuilding team plays. The team just feels rudderless, totally devoid of leadership, totally lacking in any sort of identity. The offense has absolutely NOTHING to hang its hat on. Not a damn thing. Not one thing to be very excited about beyond seeing some promise from some rookies like Hankerson.

But 1 TD in 3 games? With a supposedly professional offense?

It's stuff like this that has me worried about the hands this "rebuild" is in.

A year and a half, and THREE utter failures at QB, all picked by the Shanahans. All three guys at this point are not at all NFL quality starters. That's amazing, and is incredibly damaging to the reputation of this supposed "QB groomer."

Placeholders or not, you don't go into a season with freakin' Grossman and Beck as your only two guys. That should be clear by now. In fact, it WAS clear to every other team in the league except for this one.

It's things like that that really have me questioning if this admitted rebuild is in the right hands.

I have never been less enthused about a Dallas game, even in Spurrier's last season. I can't think of any possible scenario where we can even compete with them, let alone win. And I don't mean that to sound so pathetically full of self pity, it's just an honest assessment. I can't see ANYTHING about this offense that I can grab ahold of and say, "Well, if they can do this, they have a chance." There's just NOTHING there right now.

Never thought it would be worse than the Zorn experiment. Unreal.

Right now, I got nothing.

I dont know why but that made me laugh. I mean that right there describes me and my feelings completely. My dad calls me during the game,not to gloat as he's a cowboys fan, but to mention the officiating or lack there of, and all i could even muster for a response was that i didnt even wanna talk about it. I mean i had less than no feelings today. Almost like i was in a coma watching the game. Patience, yeah ive got plenty especially when i figured we'd win no more than 4 games this season. Sometimes its necessary to take a few steps backward in order to move forward.

Honestly, the draft is all I'm looking forward to at this point. The 2012 draft is probably going to determine whether or not Shanahan finishes up his contract here. If he drafts the right QB and can at least show some promise next season, then I think he will be fine. If he drafts a bust that shows no upside whatsoever in the next two seasons, I think he'll get his contract cut a year short and then who knows what will happen.

It's sad to have most of the fanbase looking forward to the draft in the middle of November, but that's what we get for all of the dumb decisions that Snyder has made over the last decade.

The next 2 drafts; where this team will be drafting high, is critical. We have to hit it right.

All valid points and, like TK said, what we have is the future to look forward to. Soon we'll be able to stop this charade we have going at QB and at least have some we'll look forward to giving it a try from the college ranks next year.

For once, though, I'd like people to stop with the "we are so much improved from 2009" line. Perhaps organizationally, yes......a three-hole punch would be an improvement over Vinny in the front office. But lets face the honest truth......this team sucks as much as it has in the Snyder era.

Shanny's not going anywhere until he deceides to retire. If anything, Dan will extend his contract. Dan knows this is a long haul operation.

Here is my thing.

Who on earth expected anything different this year?

This roster was so awful going into training camp that a couple of nice preseason games changed expectations.

The only thing that has surprised me this season was starting off 3-1

Come on now. Many were complaining that the Skins weren't getting respect. 3-13, no way. I think most expected 7-9 wins. We are 2 years away from being that mediocre again.

Just imagine if the Skins miss on their picks the next 2 years. This franchise still hasn't recovered from drafting Heath Shuler.

There were several glimpses into the future today. You just had to stay emotionally unattached & level headed to see them.

Hang in there Ed. Rome wasn't built in a day & we're still about two years out from being seriously competive.

Being emotionally unattached is spot on. Many of us have agonized over this team for years on end, and at a certain point you just become resigned to the fact that you can't get warped into it all. We've seen the same movie on Sundays for way too long, so no need to beat a dead horse. There will be a time we will be good again, but managing expectations from the jump helps to not get carried away (i.e., 3-1 start, talk of a 'great' defense). I think next year we will be in the running for a wild card spot, and hopefully in contention for the division in 2013 - um, granted we find a QB :)

Come on now. Many were complaining that the Skins weren't getting respect. 3-13, no way. I think most expected 7-9 wins. We are 2 years away from being that mediocre again.

Just imagine if the Skins miss on their picks the next 2 years. This franchise still hasn't recovered from drafting Heath Shuler.

Thats the thing. I had no clue why anyone expected more then 4 wins.

The official prediction thread is the height of homerism. Now people are angry, upset, frustred because they completely misjudged this team

I actually think a lot of last year's draft picks are starting to look pretty good. Hankerson had his breakout game today, Helu has looked pretty solid when given the chance, Kerrigan is obviously a beast and Jenkins looked to be the real deal in pre season. Another year or two of some good drafts and some nice FA signings to strengthen our lines and I think that we are not THAT far away

As TK said, we gotta look at the small things. Pretty much have to be in a pre-season state of mind. Gotta look at the progression of the young guys. Watch how certain individuals perform in certain situations. Its pretty much what a rebuilding year is; a full year of pre-season style football and evaluation.

Thats the thing. I had no clue why anyone expected more then 4 wins.

The official prediction thread is the height of homerism. Now people are angry, upset, frustred because they completely misjudged this team

I am resigned. I thought we could go 8-8. Misjudged that. Shanny wasted year one. He should completely torn the team apart last year. Trade whatever quality players we had for picks and just fresh. To have a real shot and that still holds; every single pre Shanny player needs to be gone.

I know TK says Dan will see this thing through, I just don't believe him. Honestly, I don't think Shanny can do it. He will assemble the pieces and when he doesn't meet what the owner expects in a couple of years; then the next comes on board.

Shanny's not going anywhere until he deceides to retire. If anything, Dan will extend his contract. Dan knows this is a long haul operation.

I dunno TK......I think Snyder wants to be patient and give Shanny at least four years, but if we're still hovering at .500 and below at the end of 2013, Dan is gonna wonder what he's paying $7 million per year for.

If we finish in the area of 4-12 and Shanny drafts a QB & still posts another couple years at the bottom of the barrel, there's no way Snyder keeps him around and I wouldn't blame Snyder for cutting the cord at that point.

Here is my thing.

Who on earth expected anything different this year?

This roster was so awful going into training camp that a couple of nice preseason games changed expectations.

The only thing that has surprised me this season was starting off 3-1

Agreed. Unrealistic expectations lead to unreasonable disappointment over THIS season's team. You're already seeing Bruce Allen's draft picks performing. He just needs more time. This team, with this coach, will get there.

I don't think it's as bad as Shanahan fans think it is.

I refuse to give equity to the man based on past suckage ESPECIALLY when all he's done is **** up and lie about it since day one and when his on the field product is NO BETTER than Zorn's or Spurrier's. He has NOTHING to hang his hat on in two offseasons and 25 games.

Shanahan sucks, it's obvious, this team is an old tit thanks to him being a washed up senile coach who has nothing to prove.

Keep the GM, but find another coach, someone hungry, someone who wants to work with a rookie QB because Shanahan obviously doesn't, if he did they'd be 25 or 9 games into that player's tenure.

Two completely lost seasons and only more losing in the future, pure ******* genius, thanks Coach Mike!

Meanwhile in SF, the ******* 49ers are 8-1 with a rookie coach who had NO OFFSEASON and Alex Smith at QB. Yeah, Shanahan really has this team on the move.

Archived