Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Which season under Shanahan will be our first as a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl?

Commander PK

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think this year we continue to play the kids. Next year we get the "franchise QB" into the rotation, and shore up the offense. Refine the defense. Probably have some more growing pains next season.

The NFL is without question a year to year league, but I think the 2013 season is the first year we could reasonably expect to make a serious run at the Super Bowl with Shanny and crew at the helm. Barring the unforeseen.

I am stating right up front, that the intent of this thread is to have a positive outlook on the future, so "none" or "zero" is not an option on purpose.

Thoughts?

We still need another strong draft, but I think we can make strides once we get our guy at QB from the upcoming draft, while getting the young guys up to speed this/next season.

I think a 2013 NFCE title is a reasonable expectation. And a division title, to me, will be close enough to "legitimate contender for the Super Bowl" to qualify for the question asked.

Super Bowl contender in 3 years? I just cant see it. I think we will be weekly contenders and a possible playoff caliber team in 3 years but we will be just finishing up this rebuild. After that maybe.... But then that brings up Mikes age and how much longer he's gonna want to coach. He's what 60 now? Is he still gonna want to coach at 64 and up?

100% not 2012.

If we draft a QB in this draft and he has all of 2012 to develop, then our chances of being a contender are 50% in 2013. If we don't draft a QB, then our chances are 80%.

I'm positive that starting 2014, we will be taken more seriously as a team to beat. The defense should be established and solid by then, and hopefully we can get some other cogs in place as well.

Then again, I said this SAME thing when Joe Gibbs came back.

More than likely 2013. The Redskins will have the right QB, the offensive linemen will be battle hardened veterans. Hankerson will more than likely developed into a very productive wide receiver by then. Fred Davis will be in Shannon Sharpe mode. I'm not sure who the running back will be that year, but I think it will be Roy Helu. The offense will have had a few years to gel and flourish into possibly a top 10 rated NFL offense.

Defensively, the Redskins will be great. Orakpo will have hit his prime by this time. Kerrigan will be a respected three year veteran in the NFL by this time. The defensive line is legit now, so imagine how good they'll be in 2013. The secondary is questionable. Highly questionable in fact.

Went with 2014.

Shanny upgrades the offensive personnel in 2012. 2013 we see the growth of the team as they come together. 2014 we make our run.

I went with 2014 too, and the above is how I'm hoping it plays out.

I also voted this under the assumption that we're taking our franchise QB in the draft (which I don't see how we couldn't). Ride him behind Beck for the first 3, 4, maybe 5 games (similar to McNabb/Ponder) of 2012. 2014 will be his 3rd year, and if we've chosen the right guy and the pieces are in place, hopefully we'll be able to take it the distance.

I said 2014. As much as I would like to think whoever we draft at QB would make us immediate contenders, I think there's a breaking in period. Hell, Manning and the Colts weren't serious annual contenders until his third year (10-6 as a rookie, 3-13 as a sophomore, then ten wins plus for every year until this one)

I said 2014. As much as I would like to think whoever we draft at QB would make us immediate contenders, I think there's a breaking in period. Hell, Manning and the Colts weren't serious annual contenders until his third year (10-6 as a rookie, 3-13 as a sophomore, then ten wins plus for every year until this one)

I agree. I voted 2014 because by then our QB will be comfortable and hopefully we'll have some good weapons for him by then and a better line. Our defense will be without so many of the holes they have now and even with these holes, we could have a great defense now but our offense can't stay on the field or ever take a lead. Our defense will be very good by then, especially with an offense to back it. All depends on how are QB develops though.

As John Belushi said in Animal House, "What's this lying around (crap)?" Rex replaces Beck next week at some point in Miami, we run the table, shock the world by beating the Packers in Green Bay, and then beat the Ravens in Indy to get Shanny his third Lombardi.

Seriously? Get the young QB some playing time next season and take lumps, expect a run to the playoffs in 2013, and then a strong SB contender in 2014.

I really don't understand why it is always assumed that drafting a QB means "getting your franchise QB" I mean there are more Ryan Leaf'', Akili Smith', Kyle Boller', etc.. then there are Peyton Manning', Troy Aikman', Dan Marino' etc....

I love topics like this..as if we can look into the future and already predict this team will be legit contenders in several yrs....if anything this franchise has proven not to be able to get things right year in and year out regardless of who is in charge....

sorry as I know I will be condemned for this response, but I just don't see how we can assume that drafting a QB this off season and getting younger equals us being a contender.....it's 50/50..as getting younger can also mean getting worse....nobody knows how these young guys will turn out...

With that being stated, I don't see this team or franchise being legit for several more seasons (like 2015/or further) Shanahan will be long gone imho before this is turned around....too old, and to out of touch with todays NFL

You should have an option for NEVER!

2011: Skins finish 4-12 this year. Snyder meets with Shanny and Bruce and decides not to fire anyone.

2012: Shanny drafts heavily on offense, including our franchise QB. Skins finish 6-10 under our rookie QB. Snyder meets with Shanny and Bruce at the end of the season decides to keep them.

2013: Skins start out 6-2 but finish 2-6 to end Year 4 at 8-8. Rumors have Snyder talking to a big name coach. 2 weeks after the season ends; Snyder announces that Shanny is fired.

I am convinced Shanny will not take us anywhere. The person that will take us to the promiseland will be his successor that will be hired in 2014.

I would have chosen "never" if it was a choice, but I do think that if it's going to happen, it's going to be at least a few years from now. It's clear that the team--players and staff alike--are not just a few pieces away from competing. I think we'll see more growing pains next year, and if those pains continue into the year after (2013), I bet that Shanahan won't have a 2014 with this club. Just my guess, though.

Archived