Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is college football the sleaziest business in America?

Lombardi's_kid_brother

How do you pronounce "Aunt"?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce "Aunt"?

• "Ant"
    • "Awnt"

Please note that I did not say the sleaziest "legal" business. I'm talking all businesses- drug dealing, prostitution, white slavery, and event planning included. At least with the illegal businessmen, you know what you are getting into up front.

The corruption in college football is vast, all-consuming, and rapacious.

To begin with, it's built on exploitation. Institutions with billion dollar endowments pay grown men millions of dollars to find poor black men to participate without compensation in an entertainment that earns hundreds of millions of dollars.

It is a business which does not care if people die. See Brian Kelly and Notre Dame.

It is a business which does not care if children are raped. See Joe Paterno and Penn State.

It is a business where it is perfectly acceptable to seek out violent gang members. See Bill McCarthy and Colorado.

It is a business where if you know of law breaking or rule breaking, the first instinct is always to cover up. See Jim Tressel and Ohio State.

It is a business that opening seeks and rewards the people with the lowest of low character if those people can benefit the all-powerful program. See Miami and Nevin Shapiro. (Does anyone even remember that now).

It is a business where billionaires from business with their own history of exploitation decide to spend millions of dollars not on charity or any program which would benefit society but instead on some personal, quixotic quest for a Crystal Trophy. See Oregon and Oklahoma State.

It is a business which openly rewards disloyalty. See Rich Rodriguez and WVU. See Lane Kiffin and everyone.

It is a business which prides itself on tradition while throwing aside any and all tradition when extra millions are at stake. See all the conference realignment nonsense.

It is a business where none of the top contenders seem to give any concern over the bogus rules that they have all agreed to follow. See USC. See Auburn. See, hell, everyone.

It is a business that has openly created a cartel that operates as a monopoly. See the BCS.

Outside of the entertainment value it creates (which is vast), is there one positive aspect of college footall?

If I told you the following professions, where you rank them in terms of admirability? Bookie, Strip club owner, D 1 football coach.

I think it's the fortune and fame that is applied to professional sports, trickling down and it goes even further down in other sports, like baseball. It's all about money.

Every business is all about money. It's how college football chooses to make money that is the problem.

Major league sports have their own problems, but they generally have a very simple formula. We pay people to play sports and then charge money to view it. Their hiring practices may be questionable. But there is not the same overwhelming culture of secrecy and hypocrisy there. The NFL basically says, "This is Michael Vick. He is an awful person. But you enjoy watching him run with a football. So, have fun."

Every business is all about money. It's how college football chooses to make money that is the problem.

Major league sports have their own problems' date=' but they generally have a very simple formula. We pay people to play sports and then charge money to view it. Their hiring practices may be questionable. But there is not the same overwhelming culture of secrecy and hypocrisy there. The NFL basically says, "This is Michael Vick. He is an awful person. But you enjoy watching him run with a football. So, have fun."[/quote']

I agree with that and most people will excuse anything to watch him run with the football. If people continue to watch and support a group or organization that allows all of these types of things to happen and even reward and over look them, they will continue to overlook and reward the animal torturers, rapists, child molesters, women abusers, gang members, drug users, illiterate college educated people playing these games we all love so much.

We love our gladiators and cheer when they act like animals on the field, there is going to be some overflow.

As much corruption as there is in the sport, and I'm not denying it exists, we still pack the stands and watch. We get hyped up for 1 v 2 LSU / Alabama, we contribute to record CBS college football ratings for said game.

This season has been the year of scandal, starting from the beginning of the year and the OSU suspensions, to the gradual firing of Tressel, to the whole Shapiro thing. It's bombshell after bombshell, and it's been going on since last year too, where Cecil Newton ALLEGEDLY paid Auburn to sign Cammy Cam.

Despite these downfalls with the sport, you can't deny that the sport is still watched madly by millions, mainly due to collegiate affiliation. Despite all the corruption, there is still the good story to be found, like that 70 year old who is kicking field goals at some college.

So I'm aware of corruption and scandal. But I'm also aware that college football is wildly attractive and appealing to the masses.

What's with McCartney and Colorado?

That's an old one, but it drives me nuts. And I will never let it go.

McCartney took over Colordao when it was a Big 8 doormat. He turned the school into a national power. And he did it in large part by recruiting gang members from Los Angeles. There was a reason that Colorado's program had so many arrests in the late 80s and early 90s.

So McCartney became wilding successful by recruiting known criminals and bringing them to the mountains and then used that success to tell the rest of us how to live a moral life.

I really hate Bill McCartney.

It is.

It is not better than the NFL. Not by any stretch.

The overtime and knee down untouched rule ruins that easily, then we get into the BCS discussion...Nope.

I kinda like the overtime rule. But yeah, down without being touched is terrible, stopping the clock for each 1st down sucks, and the BCS...well, you know how I feel about that :soapbox:

It is.

It is not better than the NFL. Not by any stretch.

The overtime and knee down untouched rule ruins that easily, then we get into the BCS discussion...Nope.

There's more imagination in college football. Everyone in the NFL basically runs the same offense. I like them both but I do believe that college football is more exciting.

There's more imagination in college football. Everyone in the NFL basically runs the same offense. I like them both but I do believe that college football is more exciting.

I love college ball. Reality is that the best college team would not beat a NFL team these days. It's a joke when people say that.

It can be entertaining, but the game loses something with the certain rules.

You forgot some things.

It's a COLLEGE program that is positioned to prepare "students" for professional football... yet the coaches don't care if their system prepare those players for the NFL. In fact they often do things that decidedly reduce the value of their own players. They have no interest at all in the careers of their players other than to use them for recruitment.

It's a business that runs entirely on the backs of essentially interns. Having someone work for you and "paying them" with food, room and board, and allowing them access to company facilities wouldn't fly as compensation in any other business.

It's a business that immediately fires (declares ineligible) any player that meets with a professional (agent) to discuss his PAID options. Heaven forbid.

its true.... College football is more innovative in thier play calling. the NFL is a copy cat league and its rare that they think outside of the box. Except for a few truly innovative minds w/ enough clout to try something new most folks in the NFL think if it hasn't been done yet in the NFL then it must not work. NCAA football regular season > NFL regular season... but NFL post season> Bowl games.

---------- Post added November-8th-2011 at 11:50 AM ----------

You forgot some things.

It's a COLLEGE program that is positioned to prepare "students" for professional football... yet the coaches don't care if their system prepare those players for the NFL. In fact they often do things that decidedly reduce the value of their own players. They have no interest at all in the careers of their players other than to use them for recruitment.

False. most teams might only have a handful of players that have a real shot at the NFL. if that. These student athlete's know they have no shot at the NFL... so why should it be the priority of the team to prepare these student athletes to play in the NFL? The function of a college program is to win college games and thats it.

cartman-colorado-u.png

This is college sports in a nutshell. Cartman is a paragon of moral rectitude compared to the jokers who run most major college programs (at least for football and basketball).

If we were to actually enforce NCAA rules then virtually every "good" program would get death penaltied, and if the feds actually bothered to do something about it, most of the people who run said programs would be in federal prison.

The fact is, pretty much everything about how we do "amateur" sports in this country is busted. Abolish varsity athletics. Abolish college athletic departments and athletic scholarships. If players want to play sports for a living, do it how they do it in Europe (and in baseball to an extent) and allow them to play pro sports at whatever level they can play in. Completely seperate sports from academics and tax it appropriately (right now college sports are tax exempt lol), and get rid of the entire "student-athlete" concept because it's a joke that devalues both school and athletics.

its true.... College football is more innovative in thier play calling. the NFL is a copy cat league and its rare that they think outside of the box. Except for a few truly innovative minds w/ enough clout to try something new most folks in the NFL think if it hasn't been done yet in the NFL then it must not work. NCAA football regular season > NFL regular season... but NFL post season> Bowl games.

What does that have to do with the topic at hand? Please learn the basics of reading comprehension.

Archived