Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why the Redskins need Andrew Luck (Update: Going on 106.7 the Fan)

themurf

A franchise QB is always worth it.

If the goal is to have a average to slightly above average team, maybe. But, if the goal is to win the SB, I think the difficulty in fielding impact players without #1 picks would make it a major challenge to have a competitive team, and what's the point of having a franchise QB then?

If the goal is to have a average to slightly above average team, maybe. But, if the goal is to win the SB, I think the difficulty in fielding impact players without #1 picks would make it a major challenge to have a competitive team, and what's the point of having a franchise QB then?

Point in case the Colts without Peyton Manning they are terrible but with Peyton Manning they are contenders. So I would say yes for selling the farm for Luck if the opportunity presented it self.

The majority of the media and fans alike, overestimate the value of the QB. Most use circular reasoning like:

You need a great QB, like Montana, to win Super Bowls!

How do you know that Montana was great?

Are you kidding? Do you know how many Super Bowls that guy won?

It's a helluva lot easier to acquire depth at positions like offensive line and receiver in the second and third round than it is to land a franchise QB. And what would stop the front office from trading away this year's second-round pick for a future first-rounder to try and recoup what you had to spend to land Luck?

Point in case the Colts without Peyton Manning they are terrible but with Peyton Manning they are contenders. So I would say yes for selling the farm for Luck if the opportunity presented it self.
Peyton threw 11 INTs in three games last season when he had to play with backup receivers.

The majority of the media and fans alike, overestimate the value of the QB. Most use circular reasoning like:

You need a great QB, like Montana, to win Super Bowls!

How do you know that Montana was great?

Are you kidding? Do you know how many Super Bowls that guy won?

and then theres oldfan, who makes up percentages and bar graphs to quantify an opinion that he has that QBs are merely a small piece of the puzzle.

even tho theyre the highest paid players, the highest sought after players, the highest drafted position, and the most scrutinized position.

so the entire NFL is flawed in its perception of QBs according to oldfans logic. lol

No one is trading away Andrew Luck for two first rounders and a second-round pick. Look at what Chicago had to give up for Cutler (who was three years older and not as good) or what Oakland gave up for 31-year-old Palmer (nine years older and the guy most likely to be compared to washed-up Donovan McNabb).

The cost is high for a franchise quarterback because teams without them don't win. Don't believe me? Keep watching John Beck miss his receivers by five yards any time he throws the ball more than 20 yards down field.

Im with you Murf. Guys like Luck are once in a lifetime players. Id give up whatever it takes to get him if a team is willing to trade down. This guy is special.

I understand that. The point is that with our luck we'd end up with the Blackledge of this draft.

The sure thing is the first pick and he lived up to it. Of course you have Kelly and Marino, but the can't miss didn't miss.

With our "Luck", if we trade up for him, he could be the next Jamarcus Russell. I don't think a "can't miss" pick exists, except in hindsight. Even then, a draft pick that worked for one coach and team, may not have worked for another.

:cheers:

The suggest price to pay (four 1sts) is not worth it, even if he does turn out to be Peyton II. The inability to get blue-chip players in future years to help the team would result in a team not talented enough to help Luck IF he turns out to be as good as people says he is.

That's the risk of course, but in the past 10 years how many picks has this team spent in trades and the draft chasing a franchise QB who didn't pan out (thinking about Ramsey, Brunell, Campbell, and McNabb here, not to mention Palmer for a throw-away 6th rounder)? If you KNEW Luck would be a top-5 NFL QB for the next 10 years, is the price still too high? I think I'd make that trade then.

-And to use your example. Look at what happens when Peyton is out of the line up for an extended period of time. Why? Because they've build a team around ONE player. NE on the other hand, lost Brady early on in the 2008 season and still went 11-5, because they had more pieces than a great QB.....

Peyton threw 11 INTs in three games last season when he had to play with backup receivers.

And in a year when those 11 INT's added to the 17 total in his worst INT year for 9 season's, the 33 TD's and 4,700 yards he threw to balance that out aided in the Colts winning their 8th divisional title, 11h playoff season and 11th 10 win or better season out of the 13 Mannings been a pro.

And people don't want to trade up to have a chance of that consistency from Luck. SERIOUSLY?

Hail.

But look at what the Colts are doing this year without Peyton, and of the players are healthy with the exception of Addia this right here should show you how important a franchise QB like Peyton is so valuable to a team.

I hear you, I would be willing to give up 2012s (1st & 2nd) and 2013s 1st. I'm just afraid it would take more to get him, and IMO its not worth it since it would mean sacrificing other glaring holes on the team.

I don't think that would be enough either. I'd like to know the history of 3 1st rounders spent on one man, if it's ever happened before.

And in a year when those 11 INT's added to the 17 total in his worst INT year for 9 season's, the 33 TD's and 4,700 yards he threw to balance that out aided in the Colts winning their 8th divisional title, 11h playoff season and 11th 10 win or better season out of the 13 Mannings been a pro.

And people don't want to trade up to have a chance of that consistency from Luck. SERIOUSLY?

Hail.

i blame the oline for all the picks, but thats just me. lol

...so the entire NFL is flawed in its perception of QBs according to oldfans logic. lol
About 80% of fans and media are on the Almighty Quarterback Bandwagon.

Bill Walsh obviously wasn't. He didn't give Steve Young the lion's share of the blame for the Tampa Bay Bucs 3-16 record with Young at QB. Mike Shanahan didn't put the Cardinals misfortunes all on Plummer. I could cite other experts who don't overvalue the position.

-And to use your example. Look at what happens when Peyton is out of the line up for an extended period of time. Why? Because they've build a team around ONE player. NE on the other hand, lost Brady early on in the 2008 season and still went 11-5, because they had more pieces than a great QB.....

They still didn't make the playoffs that year either with that 11-5 record. No but it shows how important a Franchise QB like Peyton.

But look at what the Colts are doing this year without Peyton, and of the players are healthy with the exception of Addia this right here should show you how important a franchise QB like Peyton is so valuable to a team.
If he's the only difference, explain the 11 interceptions with backup players.

But trading the picks proposed would essentially be a team saying, "We know Andrew Luck is going to be BETTER than Dan Marino and John Elway". Because even they couldn't win it on their own.

But trading the picks proposed would essentially be a team saying, "We know Andrew Luck is going to be BETTER than Dan Marino and John Elway". Because even they couldn't win it on their own.

What you can't find gems in the second round of the draft?

---------- Post added November-3rd-2011 at 10:49 AM ----------

If he's the only difference, explain the 11 interceptions with backup players.

They still won, and made it to the playoffs when it comes down to it thats all that matters.

Hail.

Peyton's Colts were 13-3 in 1999 and 6-10 in 2001 until they got him more help. It's not just the QB. Four #1s is much too high for a college QB. You'd be paying for hype.

What is the one constant that has been missing from this franchise for 20 years? A franchise QB.

The only way to succeed in today's NFL is by having a franchise QB. Just look at the successful teams over the years and what do they have in common? A franchise QB.

There is an aura about a franchise QB that elevates his teammates level of play because of the confidence factor knowing they have a chance with their QB. A franchise QB raises the enthusiasm of the fanbase because they also know they have a fighting chance.

I know there will be those that say we need to hold onto our draft picks, blah, blah, blah.We can

address every position we want with taleneted players, but until we get that franchise QB we will continue to sink into mediocrocy or worse.

You know it, I know it and if you don't? Than you haven't been paying attention.

Put me on the Luck or Bust wagon.

I have a hard time parting with even three first-round picks, but I have to look at what they were and who would be playing at the positions at this point.

Example: We trade the 2009, 2010, and 2011 first-rounders. Who plays OLB, LT, and OLB? I don't want to lose Orakpo, Williams, or Kerrigan.

Or, we lose the two 2005 picks and Landry (our next first round pick). Not as bad. Two aren't on the team, and one is pretty iffy lately.

I don't know. I still want Tannehill, anyway.

Luck is the best prospect and NFL-ready quarterback in a long time, but does that mean that he'll be the best? Does it mean that he has the highest ceiling? Does it mean that he'll be used effectively? Does it mean that we have the other pieces in place, or can shortly?

Manning was taken with the first overall, and that was it. Trade the next four picks, and the Colts don't have James, Freeney, or Wayne. You really think that it's the same Colts team without those three? Trade more and you lose Dallas Clark and Bob Sanders. Does Manning do it without those guys?

The Manning comparisons are just completely off. It's not comparing him to Manning; it's comparing him to Manning + James + Freeney + Wayne, all at the same time.

Archived