Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Why the Redskins need Andrew Luck (Update: Going on 106.7 the Fan)

themurf

luck110211.jpg

(photo by Ezra Shaw)

Let me say this up front — when it comes to the Washington Redskins, I’m not someone who has ever encouraged the team’s eagerness to “win” the offseason.

I’ve played fantasy football since 1997,* but I’ve never had the desire to see an actual franchise run with the same frivolous mindset.

I’ve never gotten behind mortgaging the future or cutting corners to try and do the “quick fix.” I want my favorite football team to be a winner for more than one fluky season every few years.

I dream of the burgundy and gold being known outside of our nation’s capital as anything other than a doormat or laughingstock and pray that this franchise returns to glory so that my son can one day share in the joy that the Redskins brought me during my formative years.

*We actually had to fax in our waiver wire transactions to the league commissioner because not everyone in the league had access to a computer on a regular basis. That’s about as close to “back in my day we had to walk to school uphill in the snow both ways” as my stories get.

Which is why what I’m about to say next might seem so out of place — the Washington Redskins need Andrew Luck at any cost.

Sure, the Stanford standout is so talented that any team in the NFL would be lucky to have him, but I’d argue that no franchise in football needs a little Luck more than the Redskins.

Since it’s unlikely Washington will enter the 2012 NFL Draft with the first overall pick, that means the Redskins would need to make a trade to acquire the 6-foot-4 and 235 lb. quarterback.

And since Luck is widely viewed as a once-in-a-generation type of can’t-miss talent, I’m on board with Washington giving up as many as four first-round draft picks if that’s what it took to land the Houston, Texas, native. In the long run, I’m convinced he’s more than worth that steep price tag.

Now, this is the point where I lose some folks. It’s nice to have grandiose dreams of Luck suiting up in the burgundy and gold, but it’s another thing entirely to offer up nearly half a decade’s worth of top draft picks to seal the deal.

But that very well could be the price for the player widely considered the best prospect at the NFL’s most pivotal position since Peyton Manning or John Elway.

Look at it this way — the Redskins gave up two high draft picks to acquire 33-year-old Donovan McNabb from the Philadelphia Eagles before the 2010 season. And while it was a different regime, Washington was also the franchise willing to pony up two first rounders for a past-his-prime Chad Ochocinco not too long ago.

Even if we remove the Redskins from the conversation, look at what the Chicago Bears were willing to give up to get Jay Cutler.

The Bears thought enough of the third-year pro to send first-round picks in 2009 (18th overall) and 2010, along with a third-round pick in ‘09 and veteran Kyle Orton to Denver for the 25-year-old and a future fifth rounder.

Earlier this season, the Oakland Raiders traded away a first-round pick in 2012 and a conditional first-round pick in 2013 for 31-year-old Carson Palmer.

There’s also the case of Eli Manning forcing his way out of San Diego, which led to the Chargers dealing him to the New York Giants in exchange for fellow rookie quarterback Philip Rivers, New York’s third-round selection in the same 2004 draft and their first and fifth-round picks in ‘05.

The moral of the story is, franchise quarterbacks don’t come cheap. But that shouldn’t stop a team from grabbing one if they can.

While Cutler, Palmer and the younger Manning were all first rounders, none of them were as highly touted as Luck is. And let’s not forget — two of the three weren’t rookies when they became available.

Let me ask you, the reader, a simple question — if the Redskins could go back in time and offer the Indianapolis Colts four first-round picks for a rookie named Peyton Manning, would anyone in our nation’s capital object? Of course not.

Because the Colts, led by Manning, have been one of the league’s most consistent winners for more than a decade now. Their 141-67 regular season record with Manning is something ‘Skins fans can only dream of.*

*Washington went just 92-116 with only three winning seasons during the same span.

Prior to this season, the Colts have made the playoffs 11 of the last 12 years thanks to Peyton. Even if Manning misses the entire 2011 season recovering from neck surgery, his resume still includes: a Super Bowl trophy, Super Bowl MVP award, four NFL MVP awards, 11 trips to the Pro Bowl and, not to mention, franchise records for career wins, passing yards, passing touchdowns and pretty much everything else you can think of.

Even if Luck only accomplishes half of that in Washington, he’d still end his career as one of the most beloved sports figures D.C. has ever known. That’s why the Redskins front office should do everything in their power to land the 22-year-old.

Click here for the full article.

Update: Chad Dukes and LaVar Arrington have asked me to come on their show today at 4 p.m. to talk about this. Should be a fun discussion.

Murf, you are awesome. This is going to be a ****storm of a thread, though. lol

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 02:05 PM ----------

Just went back and read everything again. This is the most comprehensive, intelligent set of arguments on why we should do whatever we can to get Luck that I've seen.

Outstanding job, and a great read (as usual).

Murf, you are awesome. This is going to be a ****storm of a thread, though. lol

---------- Post added November-1st-2011 at 02:05 PM ----------

Just went back and read everything again. This is the most comprehensive, intelligent set of arguments on why we should do whatever we can to get Luck that I've seen.

Outstanding job, and a great read (as usual).

Thank you for the very kind words. I was so angry after the loss to Buffalo that I didn't even want to go in the locker room and talk to those players. I simply couldn't think of anything they could say to make me accept that effort. At dinner that night, I was chatting with my brother about just how bad things have gotten for the Redskins and that's when I asked him "How many first-round draft picks would you give up to land Andrew Luck?" After a few beers, we agreed that four first rounders would be a fair price if it meant we didn't have to feel this way again for a long, long time. The rest, as they say, is history ...

i agree with you, I just don't think he will be tradable... meaning, you may not be able to get him at any price.

I also don't think that this regime will give up a lot for a QB... I think the ego is too big and they will feel they can win with a mediocre QB and the right personel.

so... i think we end up with a 3rd rate guy who sucks unfortunately.

I also don't think that this regime will give up a lot for a QB... I think the ego is too big and they will feel they can win with a mediocre QB and the right personel.

I agree with this. It sucks, but I think our staff and management are too arrogant. They went into the season thinking Grossman and Beck were viable starters, so there's no telling what they'll do.

Shanahan did trade up for Cutler, so he has done it in the past. He also wanted Bradford, but didn't have the ammo for it.

Problem with this argument that you should do "anything" to get a guy is that you might not have enough left to give the guy enough support to win. I am not a believer that any one guy is a savior for a franchise, particularly not a QB. Bradford actually is a prime example. As good as he's considered, he can't do it without weapons or a line or a running game. Manning, as good as he is, doesn't do it by himself.

Yes, we could use a QB as good as Luck, but we could use a lot of things, which Luck won't solve by himself.

Thank you for the very kind words. I was so angry after the loss to Buffalo that I didn't even want to go in the locker room and talk to those players. I simply couldn't think of anything they could say to make me accept that effort. At dinner that night, I was chatting with my brother about just how bad things have gotten for the Redskins and that's when I asked him "How many first-round draft picks would you give up to land Andrew Luck?" After a few beers, we agreed that four first rounders would be a fair price if it meant we didn't have to feel this way again for a long, long time. The rest, as they say, is history ...

Few is not as specific as it relates to the topic. hahhaa. Four picks is lunacy IMO. I understand your frustration but that is too much to pay for a player who could flop or get hurt.

Only, problem I see is that 1 both the Dolphins and Colts would want to draft him. and WE would need to give up multiple draft class to get him.

I don't see it happening.

Only 1 team gets the #1 pick. I think we have a better shot if the Colts get the spot, because Manning still has 2 or 3 good years in him, and all those extra first rounders would go a long way toward getting him another shot at a Lombardi.

Go Dolphins!

He's worth it. Problem is, the two teams most likely to land him wont trade for him at any cost.

I think Indy would be more likely to trade for more high draft picks considering how bad the team around Peyton Manning is. I mean obviously Manning doesn't have a ton of time left in the league, but if a team offered them a bevy of picks for the #1, they could not only add the next best QB to learn under Manning, but they could also concentrate on their defense which is in bad shape right now.

Yes, we could use a QB as good as Luck, but we could use a lot of things, which Luck won't solve by himself.

People always say this.. but damn if Peyton Manning didn't obviously solve a whole hell of a lot by himself. The difference a QB can make is massive in the modern NFL... MASSIVE.

I've thought about this as well and asked myself if you take our last four 1st round draft picks and question whether the team be better with a peyton manning at the expense of, kerrigan, williams, orakpo, and landry, what would the answer be?

but if you keep going back through this team's draft history and ask that same question, the answer is inevitable yes....

if luck developed into the talent of a peyton, then four 1st rounders would be worth it as we have had a pretty horrible hit/miss ratio with 1st rounders... I think if you even applied this test to every team's first rounders, the hit/miss ratio would still support the notion that the team would be better off with a peyton in most cases...

the rub of course is whether luck will be another peyton caliber QB...

Few is not as specific as it relates to the topic. hahhaa. Four picks is lunacy IMO. I understand your frustration but that is too much to pay for a player who could flop or get hurt.

I haven't seen a single word written about Luck that suggests he could be a flop. So unless you're afraid that a guy who doesn't seem to have a history of injuries will suddenly break down, I'm not sure why anyone would be afraid of pursuing Luck. But you should know, I'm not frustrated after just one loss. I'm tired of 20 years of mediocre football. I'm tired of a laundry list of coaches, coordinators and quarterbacks. I'm tired of quick fixes and short cuts. Going after a once-in-a-generation talent like Luck doesn't fall into that category. It's simply the best way I can come up with for this team (with this coaching staff) to turn the ship around.

Archived