Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Question regarding next week's college FB game, between #1 and #2

Larry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

OK, so next Saturday, the #1 and #2-ranked college football teams will play each other.

I was wondering: How far do y'all figure the loser of that game will drop, in the rankings?

Which then led me to also ask:

Should the loser of that game drop? At least very far?

I think that we all know, from past experience, that the loser will drop. Maybe a lot. (Maybe only to #10, or so.)

But I think we all know that is, say, #2 loses to #1, by 24-21, they're gonna drop to #8, maybe worse.

Should they? In my hypothetical, does a team losing a close game, to #1, really cause you, the (imaginary) popularity contest voter, to say "Well, I thought they were #2. But now that they lost to #1, they must be a lot worse than that."?

So, I've kind of got two questions:

How far do you think the loser will drop? (I think I'll make that a poll.)

And should the loser drop? And if so, how much?

(Poll under construction.)

If it's a close game, I would be surprised to see them below Boise St in the standings. BCS is always fixed like that.

Love the use of the term "fixed". . .

Should they drop lower?

Assume:

• LSU loses a close game to Alabama.
  • Oklahoma State (currently #3) beats up an unranked opponent. (I haven't even checked the schedule, I have no idea who they're playing.)

If this happens, then have we even proven that LSU should drop to #3? What evidence do we have, to conclude that Ok State is better than LSU, in that scenario?

Should they drop that far? No.

Will they? Probably.

The rankings aren't determined by causes of losses, they're just determined by simple win/loss record.

I saw someone on Twitter make a comment the other day that in some form, Vegas oddsmakers should have a say in the polls, and I'd agree with that. Vegas actually watches every game.

Coaches polls and media polls are almost always largely off in some form.

The BCS is fixed in favor of Boise :rotflmao:

Thanks, I needed a laugh.

I was saying that there is no way the BCS wants Boise State in the championship game and thus the losing team in a close game will be ranked 4th while Boise St. stays 5th.

I was saying that there is no way the BCS wants Boise State in the championship game and thus the losing team in a close game will be ranked 4th while Boise St. stays 5th.

'Course, there's a simple way of solving this persecution complex.

Join a real conference.

I suspect that the Big 12 is accepting applications.

Go undefeated in the Big 12, (or the SEC, or the Pac 10, or heck, maybe in the Big 10), and it's a pretty safe bet you'll be in the championship game.

---------- Post added October-30th-2011 at 09:36 PM ----------

The rankings aren't determined by causes of losses, they're just determined by simple win/loss record.

I saw someone on Twitter make a comment the other day that in some form, Vegas oddsmakers should have a say in the polls, and I'd agree with that. Vegas actually watches every game.

Coaches polls and media polls are almost always largely off in some form.

Oh, I agree that I've had the impression for some time that a large number of the voters are basing their vote simply on looking at the final scores of the games. (If even that much.)

So tempting to say something *coughplayoffcough* that would derail the thread, but I won't. ;)

IMO, a one-loss SEC team, especially one that loses to the #1 or #2 team in the country (and MORE especially in a close game) is better than an undefeated WAC team. I like Boise State, I really do, but they'd do well to take Larry's advice in post #10. Problem solved.

I'd say the loser drops to around #5. Which is probably too low.

Thank you, Larry, for making a thread about a question I've been asking for years. (Not sarcastic, if there's any confusion. I'm very happy to see this thread.) Why the hell should a lower-ranked team drop after losing to a higher-ranked team? Isn't that what should happen if the rankings are correct?

How far the loser WILL drop I don't know, but the loser definitely SHOULD drop, as they will no longer be undefeated.

Why? That doesn't make any sense at all. If the #2 team loses a close game to the #1 team, on what planet does that provide evidence that the #2 team shouldn't still be ranked #2? How does losing to the #1 team show that the #2 team is inferior to the #3 team?

'Course, there's a simple way of solving this persecution complex.

Join a real conference.

I suspect that the Big 12 is accepting applications.

Go undefeated in the Big 12, (or the SEC, or the Pac 10, or heck, maybe in the Big 10), and it's a pretty safe bet you'll be in the championship game.

Ask the undefeated 2004 Auburn team how that works. Of course they are, and were at the time, in the weak SEC.

Ah, I misunderstood. You're right about that :(

Why? That doesn't make any sense at all. If the #2 team loses a close game to the #1 team, on what planet does that provide evidence that the #2 team shouldn't still be ranked #2? How does losing to the #1 team show that the #2 team is inferior to the #3 team?
Forget Boise. Hell, forget Stanford. So you're saying that, say, a 1-loss Alabama (:fingersx: ) should be higher than an undefeated Oklahoma State team???

Forget Boise. Hell, forget Stanford. So you're saying that, say, a 1-loss Alabama (:fingersx: ) should be higher than an undefeated Oklahoma State team???

Once again, you're ignoring who the loss is to. Explain to me why losing a close game to the #1 team in the country should be a factor in determining if the #5 team is better than the #6 team if one of them has played the #1 team, and lost as we would expect, and the other one hasn't played that team. This is one of the fundamental flaws in the BCS system; I can't believe you of all people are taking the other side here.

Once again, you're ignoring who the loss is to. Explain to me why losing a close game to the #1 team in the country should be a factor in determining if the #5 team is better than the #6 team if one of them has played the #1 team, and lost as we would expect, and the other one hasn't played that team. This is one of the fundamental flaws in the BCS system; I can't believe you of all people are taking the other side here.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I still loathe the BCS. And we're talking the #3 team (an undefeated OSU) vs. what would likely be a #5 or #6 team.

Frankly, if the loser DIDN'T fall, there'd just be a rematch for the MNC, and I sure as hell don't wanna see that.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2011/10/31/2526168/bcs-rankings-standings-projections-top-25-lsu-alabama

according to this article in 2006 when #1-2 played, OSU v MIch, the loser retained #2. but then fell in the polls the following weeks to USC and Florida.... it also suggests that the computers are window dressing and ultimately the voters have the power and will get it right.

Archived