Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are the Redskins organization cursed; the modern day Cubs of the NFL

Gary Clark Fan

Now before I start, the skins have won championships unlike the cubs in modern times...however,in spirit of halloween and the fact that the skins have pretty much been irrelevant in the past twenty plus years and have been surpassed in success by such pitiful franchise such as AZ, if in fact there is a curse on this franchise; what set the curse on this team?

My theory is that the curse started with the drafting of desmond howard (sad as this is coming from a michigan fan).....at that time the skins had i believe the #3 pick in the entire draft and were in a position where the team was still a winner and the pick was just going to keep this team on top. However as we know desmond was a bust and the skins have never really recovered from messing up a top 3 pick in a draft that if they had drafted wisely could of prevented the free fall that started and has continued.

My other theory, is a curse was placed on this team by JKC's drug whore wife who probably traded a kilo of coke from the devil :evilg:for the sole of the skins...:silly:

Again this is not a serious thread but something to ponder and have fun with especially during halloween and really laughter is the best recourse for sadness.

Sports "curses" are always explained by bad management.

Don't tell that to Peter Angelos

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 11:47 AM ----------

Continuing with the halloween theme and silliness of it all, the curse had to start when the Cooke family tried to rename the site of FedEx Field: RalJohn.

:helmet:

They did more than try, the grounds were named briefly weren't they?

I understand blaming snyder would make sense but the truth is we were in a downward spiral prior to him taking over. Maybe it was the hiring of a dallas cowboy as our head coach back in 1994 that sealed the deal.

Everyone loves to repeat this meme, and it's not altogether false. The Skins were no good during most of the 90s after the Super Bowl years, but the truth is Snyder was handed a roster that won the NFC East in 1999 - he got control of the team too late to make substantive changes prior to that season. Since then, it's been all downhill.

The "poor us" syndrome is getting old. Yeah, the past 20 years have been tough. Really tough. But before we start comparing ourselves to the Cubs, let's remember that we did win three Super Bowls in an age not so long ago that many of us (including me) can remember them vividly. The Lions have NEVER won a Super Bowl. Neither have the Eagles.

We slid because we were old, then we were mismanaged. We squandered opportunities to get better. We deluded ourselves into thinking we were close when we were not. We took some gambles, and they did not pay out. The best we can hope for is to try to avoid doing it again. And that means letting things play out — good or bad — and not rush to hasty action or judgment. As much as we love to bash Snyder, I swear a lot of our fans sound like they would be worse if they had the ability to make decisions to impact the team.

Don't tell that to Peter Angelos

---------- Post added October-25th-2011 at 11:47 AM ----------

They did more than try, the grounds were named briefly weren't they?

It was named RalJohn. I tried in the sense of they tried to make it last but Prince Georges officials weren't having that.

:helmet:

The "poor us" syndrome is getting old. Yeah, the past 20 years have been tough. Really tough. But before we start comparing ourselves to the Cubs, let's remember that we did win three Super Bowls in an age not so long ago that many of us (including me) can remember them vividly. The Lions have NEVER won a Super Bowl. Neither have the Eagles.

We slid because we were old, then we were mismanaged. We squandered opportunities to get better. We deluded ourselves into thinking we were close when we were not. We took some gambles, and they did not pay out. The best we can hope for is to try to avoid doing it again. And that means letting things play out — good or bad — and not rush to hasty action or judgment. As much as we love to bash Snyder, I swear a lot of our fans sound like they would be worse if they had the ability to make decisions to impact the team.

I think what the OP is saying is that there seem to be weird circumstances that consistantly work in the favor of other teams. It's a given that the team was mismanaged and so forth over time, but I think most people would agree that we're on the right track now at the very least. However the fact is that bizzare things seem to happen to the Redskins which impede that progress. Remember the phantom motion penalty on an unnamed player in 2004 against the Packers at home? (If my memory serves me I heard something to the effect that the ref told Coach Gibbs "I don't know who he was, but he was in motion.") Then the next year we had the Alstott game at Tampa when the replays clearly showed he didn't get the two-pt conversion.(Granted we went to the playoffs that year, but you get the point.) Going back even fiurther to the Norv era and another Tampa game, Alvin Harper (who played for them at the time) caught what ended up being a game-winning TD. He was ruled out of bounds, and replays seemed to back up this stance. Harper was so mad that he shoved the official that made the call, who threw a flag. Before the penalty could be announced, the officials huddled up and the ref ruled that Harper had been forced out of bounds, and that it was a TD. They also ruled that there was no penalty on the play (and no ejection). Going back even further, a ref actually came over to the sidelines in a game in 1986 and asked Coach Gibbs to call for quiet at RFK so that the Lions' QB could run their offense. How often does that happen?

Those are just examples, and moving into the present day we have a slew of injuries over two weeks, and the aforementioned Romo sits to pee fumbles which seemed to bounce right back to him. Opposing teams know that they may well be the beneficiary of something freak happening when they play the Redskins. Is it a curse? I don't know, but at the very least the Redskins have played the part of victims of circumstance on more than one occasion to add to the problems they already have.

Sports "curses" are always explained by bad management.

Tell that to these guys:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2352837/Birmingham-hope-curse-has-run-course.html

I love the idea of Shanahan peeing in all four corners of FedEx.

I think he should proclaim Jerruh World cursed and do it the next time we're down in Arlington. :ols:

Hail.

Tell that to these guys:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2352837/Birmingham-hope-curse-has-run-course.html

I love the idea of Shanahan peeing in all four corners of FedEx.

I think he should proclaim Jerruh World cursed and do it the next time we're down in Arlington. :ols:

Hail.

If there's a clearer sign your team is being run by buffoons then thier blaming of their own incompetence on a "curse", I'm not sure what it is.

Archived