Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last time you knew the Skins were going to win...

SWO-tarious

The Dallas game a few years ago, when we went on the big time run at the end of the season. Shut them down in every aspect of the game, 27-6. I admit, it felt like 1982 all over again; even though I was plopped on my couch, you could see the atmosphere in the stadium, and every player on the team was more focused than ever...

The Redskins haven't been themselves since 1992, which was the last season under Gibbs before his first retirement. Back in the day, the Redskins were constant winners. It's been all downhill since Richie Pettibon had that 4-12 season in 1993 after so many winning seasons under Gibbs 1. After Jack Kent Cooke made that coaching change after the first year, things haven't been the same. Whether Mike Shanahan can rebuild this team and take them back to where they have been remains to be seen.

have never experienced it in my lifetime. must be nice.

Hear hear! I gotta commend those skins fans that have stuck with the team since early 1992, but I think it takes a special kind of loyalty to stay true to a team that you have NEVER experienced glory with. That's why Redskins fans are awesome.

That's odd...we played a hapless Cardinal team twice, the horrible Browns, and the Bengals...but you thought the surging Cowboys were more of a sure win? The Eagle game I understand to an extent, but we also knew that we would rest starters.

The Cowboys were hardly surging and had to go on a streak similar to ours in 2005 to get a wildcard spot. They were coming of two loses including having their heads handed to them the week before to a mediocre Giants team and had been shutout by a team we shut out. We had just destroyed two teams in a row including the win that showed that Rypien was not just a game manager. While we did have the hope of setting some records but little else, the Eagles had absolutely nothing to play for at all. We had also kicked their ass the first time.

Probably the Cowboys game to end the 2007 season. I knew there was no way with everything going on they were gonna blow that against Cowboys backups for a half (even though we were pretty much destroying their first team too).... otherwise, maybe the Rams game week 2 in 2009, but we barley won that either.

The Cowboys were hardly surging and had to go on a streak similar to ours in 2005 to get a wildcard spot. They were coming of two loses including having their heads handed to them the week before to a mediocre Giants team and had been shutout by a team we shut out. We had just destroyed two teams in a row including the win that showed that Rypien was not just a game manager. While we did have the hope of setting some records but little else, the Eagles had absolutely nothing to play for at all. We had also kicked their ass the first time.

Fair enough...good points.

Who did you think we would lose to that year, other than the Giants?

Only one game worried me all year, the Oilers. But not for how it played out. Pardee's run and shoot was the only O I seriously feared would out score us, but it turned into a great defensive battle with the English dude missing a chip shot that would of ended our unbeaten start; only for Chip to win it in OT.

For sheer out and out drama of two top teams playing at the top of their game, that one always sticks in my memory. It would of been interesting of we'd of matched up with them again in the SB as many expected.

Hail.

Once we got rolling, I was between 70-75% that we'd beat the G-men both times since our history tends to indicate when we sweep the Gnats, we're in the midst of a good season and I never thought we'd lose. Funny, I was more worried about Philly before the shut out game. Now, before the season began, I really thought we'd suck (well, in relative terms:) which meant 9-7 or 10-6 then). With the Bengals, I just bought into Gibbs playing them up.

GHH and DT, isn't it fun to discuss 1991? I wish ES was around then...imagine what we would complain about:

Is Alvoid Mays the worst #4 CB in the NFC East?

We don't wear the burgundy jerseys enough!

I know we are winning, but who else can't stand Coach Joe's two tones of red?

Run, run, pass again? This is why we haven't scored 50 yet!

Id definitely say it was during the 91 season. Though it was the Super Bowl in early 92. I was positive we'd beat up on the Bills. I just knew it. I was smiling all day. I was a senior in high school and could not wait to rub this douchebag Bills fan's nose in it. I sat next to him in first period and he blathered on and on about Jim Kelly for 2 weeks. I just said over and over..."We'll see homey." We got to class on Monday morning though and I didnt say a damn thing though. He finally lost it and said "Go ahead gimme ****! I desrve it...the Skins whooped our asses!" I just smiled. Finally I couldnt help myself and started making fun of Thurman Thomas being unable to find his helmet. He had no argument though...he thought it was unbelievable too. Oddly enough I was rooting like hell for those very same Bills for the next 2 years.

What a great topic. I first remember watching the Skins in the mid 1970's and through the early 90's I thought they would win every game and considered myself lucky to be a Skins fan. Now, I consider myself cursed and each Sunday feel like the Skins could easily LOSE, no matter how bad their opponent.

Not since Joe Gibbs I in 1993

---------- Post added October-23rd-2011 at 12:50 PM ----------

What a great topic. I first remember watching the Skins in the mid 1970's and through the early 90's I thought they would win every game and considered myself lucky to be a Skins fan. Now, I consider myself cursed and each Sunday feel like the Skins could easily LOSE, no matter how bad their opponent.

Exactly how I felt too. Now I am the opposite and it drives me crazy. Like Today with Cam Newton.

Archived