Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Graziano's "Cooley Closure" Tour

Dub70s

"So Chris Cooley explained himself Wednesday on the whole I-liked-seeing-Romo sits to pee-choke thing, and part of the explanation was that he was joking. Which is fine, even if it's also the excuse my five-year-old uses when he says something he's not supposed to say and gets called on it. I've spent a lot of time discussing this whole issue on Twitter since I wrote that what Cooley said was unprofessional. And while I stand by it, there are a couple of things I need to say before I stop discussing it altogether.

First, some people have suggested that what I wrote was meant in defense of Tony Romo sits to pee, and that's simply preposterous. While the whole thing may not have come to my attention (or anyone else's) had the perpetually-in-the-news Romo sits to pee not been involved, I nonetheless would have felt the same way if Cooley had made the comments about any other player, or if Romo sits to pee had made them about Cooley. If professionals act unprofessional, I'm going to call them on it, and the only bias at work there is my bias against adults who insist on acting like children.

Second, the more civil Twitter interactions I've had over this have been very instructive and informative to me about Cooley and his unique place in the hearts of Redskins fans. So while I still don't think he should have said what he said, I have come to a better understanding of why he said it and what it means to his fans that he said it. I still think this kind of dialogue is best kept between and among fans and that the players themselves should stay out of it, but that's just my opinion. I am not a Redskins fan, or a fan of any other team, and because of that it is always valuable for me to learn as much as possible about the way fans of these four teams think. It can only help me continue to work to make this blog a better place for those of you who come here to read it.

So that's it from me on Cooley, who's welcome to keep clowning around on the radio if that's part of his deal. I feel like he crossed a line on this one. Many of you disagree, and that's fine. Not the first time, won't be the last."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/31294/breakfast-links-cooley-closure#comments

Smells like someone bit into his arse a bit on twitter! :ols:

"So Chris Cooley explained himself Wednesday on the whole I-liked-seeing-Romo sits to pee-choke thing, and part of the explanation was that he was joking. Which is fine, even if it's also the excuse my five-year-old uses when he says something he's not supposed to say and gets called on it

And claiming ignorance on the matter after you are severely backlashed and smacked around for your intial remarks is different how?

He's just trying to back out of the Pro-Tony Rhomo loving blog post he made. Saing "Closure" sounds like some jilted female.

Skins fans on Twitter must have crushed him, so he states: "I have come to a better understanding of why he said it and what it means to his fans that he said it"

OK, I will be contrary and stick up for Dan here. The NFC East blog is ifinitely better under his tenure. It is more insightful and entertaining and far less biased toward Dallas as it was under Mosley.

He has been fair to all teams in the East, including the Redskins and thought it was laughable when pundits were picking us to win 2-3 games and provided a lot of the same reasoning that ES'ers posted.

While he should know that this radio gig and his outlandish behavior is part of Cooley and what the fans expect of him, I don't have a big problem with how he presented it. He is a sports writer and if he did not have opinions, he would be a lousy one...and we know something about those being Redskins' fans.

BTW, I found the entire ordeal to be quite unneccessary. And for him to do a so-called "Cooley Closure Tour" seems to me like an admission of guilt of his bias towards the Cowboys. He should have never published this non sense.
:applause:Thank you!

This bull**** has occupied enough space on a message board ment for Redskins football.

Let's be fair to Graziano. He's been more to fair to the Redskins when plenty other people said they were going to be in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes, and has stuck up for the team before. He's not a Dallas fan. He's a football fan. I don't agree with what he feels the problem is with Cooley's comments, but it's not typical ESPN/Cowboys bias here. He's been one of the few guys to defend this team and give them favorable coverage, so let's just be fair to him.

He is a sports writer and if he did not have opinions, he would be a lousy one...and we know something about those being Redskins' fans.

its one thing to have an opinion. Its another thing to blow (something as trivial as Cooley's comments) totally out of proportion. Seems to me like its nothing but a bunch of sensentionalization going on with these folk.

graziano has been nothing but pro-redskins up until this point. so he thought what cooley said was unprofessional and he called him out on it. what's the big deal?

not sure why everyone thinks he's a cowboy fan, either. if mosley was still in charge, he would have called for cooley to be suspended or possibly even arrested for badmouthing his beloved romeo.

graziano has been nothing but pro-redskins up until this point. so he thought what cooley said was unprofessional and he called him out on it. what's the big deal?

not sure why everyone thinks he's a cowboy fan, either. if mosley was still in charge, he would have called for cooley to be suspended or possibly even arrested for badmouthing his beloved romeo.

The big deal is that it's a complete overreaction to a non-event. Do you think Cooley shouldn't have said he was happy the Cowboys choked? He was asked a direct question and he responded truthfully. He's got a hell of a lot more riding on the outcome of Cowboys games than you or I do and I was happy as hell to see Romo sits to pee choke. This is just another attempt by the ESPN media to protect Romo sits to pee's delicate labia.

Look, he thought Cooley was unprofessional. I sincerely disagree, but I can see how someone may think that.

The difference being Dan seems to view the NFL as being similar to the coorporate world where everyone should be colleagues and respectful about each other and professional courtesy. Cooley see's it as a form of entertainment more than some kind of corporation, and as such feels there's no reason why he needs to monitor fully what he says or how he views another team outside of the bounds of every day respectability. He's not wishing harm, he's not going personal, so there's nothing wrong with it.

I don't think either is right or wrong necessarily. However, the difference is the people who Cooley NEEDS the support of...and that's not Dan Graziano...don't just support what he said but love him even more for the fact he DID say it.

Archived