Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Who is better than Romo? Many, but we narrow it to six (QBs the Cowboys could/should have gone with instead)

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d822db2d5/article/who-is-better-than-Romo sits to pee-many-but-we-narrow-it-to-six?module=HP11_content_stream

Let's see if I have this straight, we are heading into Week 5, and this being an odd-numbered week, we are bashing Tony Romo sits to pee? Well maybe I will just follow Deion Sanders' lead. Here is what the recent Hall of Fame cornerback said about the Cowboys' starting quarterback.

"Sooner or later, we've just got to quit guessing and assuming that this guy is the guy to get you over the hump, and say, 'You know what? This guy is always going to be great statistically, but he's not that guy that can take you to where you want to go.' And that's the Super Bowl," Sanders said Sunday on NFL Network. "I'm sick and tired of it. I am. ...

"Dallas Cowboys fans are sick of it. We had (Romo sits to pee) on our shoulders last week. 'Oh, Tony, he's our king!' But now we want to stone him. I'm serious, that's the way (fans) feel about him because you can't trust him. I like him. Statistically, he's great, but you can't trust him."

And while I have felt bad for Romo sits to pee because he has such a great story (not recruited out of high school, undrafted and worked his way up to being a Pro Bowl quarterback), he is not going to get the Cowboys over the hump, period. End of story.

The defenders will point out that if not Romo sits to pee, who could lead the Cowboys? Well, I am glad that you asked. Here are six quarterbacks I would rather have than Romo sits to pee. Yes, that list could be endless, but this is based on guys that the Cowboys could have had this season, so don't start saying Tom Brady in the comments section.

And without further ado ...

6. David Garrard

I would have been tempted to put Kerry Collins in the mix here, but he has proven that he cannot take a good offensive team and lead them to wins. But Garrard has done pretty well during his career with some bad teams. And hey, he has as many postseason wins as Romo sits to pee (one).

5. Kyle Orton

The Broncos were shopping Orton during the offseason before they realized that it would mean actually starting Tim Tebow. You mean to tell me that Orton couldn't do what Romo sits to pee does, and that is rolling up great numbers while failing to win? Orton has never been given a true chance to win, and he would make the most of his opportunity.

4. Donovan McNabb

Put McNabb in the right situation and he could have really led this team to ... hahahahaha. Ah, just kidding. Man, I could not even make it through one sentence without breaking up laughing. Alright, let's move on to the real No. 4.

4. Matt Flynn

When you consider some of the former Packers quarterbacks who have gone on to greatness, Flynn appears ready to be the next in line. Flynn is only No. 4 on this list because the Packers would be unlikely to trade him in the NFC. But you weren't making a call about this guy?

3. Ryan Mallett

How has DeMarco Murray been working out for the Cowboys? He went three picks ahead of Mallett. I could be mean and mention that the Cowboys refused to trade up in the second round for Red Dalton or Colin Kaepernick, but let's focus on Mallett -- who went to Arkansas. The alma mater of Jerry Jones. What am I missing here?

2. Matt Hasselbeck

Talking about great former Packers backups, Hasselbeck was available this offseason. But why would you want a quarterback who has led the Titans to a 3-1 record. Hasselbeck is probably going to take the Titans to the AFC South title. The Cowboys would be at least 3-1, probably undefeated, with Hasselbeck.

1. Stephen McGee

Even if the Cowboys didn't want to draft, trade or sign a new quarterback, their best option was on their bench. The Cowboys are undefeated with McGee under center, and they did not like that production?

Hahahaa, I can't believe that NFL.com made that crack about McNabb. I love it.

After like 10 months of propping McNabb up as the wronged victim of an egotistical coach, I gotta agree with you lol :yes:

---------- Post added October-5th-2011 at 04:29 PM ----------

By the way, NFL.com has this quote on their home page:

" I think the world of him as a person, but as a football player ... his mechanics are horrible. They've been horrible, they are horrible, they'll remain horrible. And that's unfortunate, because he's too far into it now. His football work is bad, his accuracy is bad."

- Joe Theismann, delivers a damning verdict on Donovan McNabb.

This is the one I really like:

1. Stephen McGee

Even if the Cowboys didn't want to draft, trade or sign a new quarterback, their best option was on their bench. The Cowboys are undefeated with McGee under center, and they did not like that production?

McGee is just another guy to fill a spot and nothing more.

Watching Kitna's serviceable play last year, it was pretty clear that the Cowboys best move during the offseason would have been trading Romo sits to pee and drafting a young QB.

It was obvious to everyone except their GM.

I have a hard time believing that any of those QBs would have the Cowboys above 2-2.

Even if those QBs aren't as TALENTED as Romo sits to pee, it only means that the Cowboys would have to rely more on the running game...which might actually help them win more games. Relying on Romo sits to pee's arm means relying on Romo sits to pee's head.

I said months ago that the best thing that could happen to the Cowboys is if they start winning games where Romo sits to pee only has 18 pass attempts for 200 yards.

This reminds me of the Hasselbeck/Dilfer QB controversy years ago. Holmgren always got too cute/daring w/Hasselbeck in the lineup, whereas he became conservative when he had to put Dilfer in. Dilfer won more games and Holmgren was stripped of his GM title in part because the trade of a #1 for Hass was seen as a failure. Finally Holmgren started letting Hass hand the ball off to S. Alexander more and Hasselbeck became a pro-bowler. I love seeing Romo sits to pee choke, but Garrett is definitely to blame for not trying harder to just run out the clock.

What in the Sam Hill has Matt Flynn done besides play one good game (that he lost) in his career that warrants him to be the next great thing? I know alot of Packer QBs have gone on to have great careers with other teams, but it has to end some time. I think it ends with Flynn. Not impressed.

What in the Sam Hill has Matt Flynn done besides play one good game (that he lost) in his career that warrants him to be the next great thing? I know alot of Packer QBs have gone on to have great careers with other teams, but it has to end some time. I think it ends with Flynn. Not impressed.

I'm a little confused with all the new-found Flynn love as well. He played well in that one game, but I'm not convinced that he's a potential starter "waiting in the wings." In the 2012 Draft Prospect thread in the Stadium, I noticed a few people mentioning that he'll be a FA in 2012 and suggesting that we take a look. I don't understand the love to be honest. And with regard to the article, I certainly don't understand how he'd be that much more of an upgrade over Romo sits to pee.

There certainly hasn't been enough of Flynn shown to say he will or won't be good, but he could have starter potential. Maybe middle of the pack, maybe lower end, but I bet he's better than a few guys out there currently starting. They didn't play conservatively with him in that NE game. He was making some really nice throws and the defense lost him that game (and his two-minute drill, but I give him a pass on that one since he doesn't get very many opportunities to run the 1st team offense).

Sometime guys are just meant to be backups. Don Strock made a living out of it. So did Todd Collins. Hell, make 6 figures, don't get hurt and have a nice wad of money to put away for retirement. I know the competitive fire burns in some guys, but I'd be thankful I was one of a a few that make it in the league.

Archived