Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This board really needs to get a grip right now!

Ellis Dee

The frustrating thing about this game, and the reason it's hard to get too excited about it, is that this was a great chance for the Redskins to really show they'd changed their mentality. They were up against a team they should beat coming off a tough loss, and they had to stop playing down to an opponent and just pummel someone.

Well, up 17-0 and driving for another score in the fourth, it looked like the team might finally accomplish that, maybe even pitch a shutout.

And then, they had to revert to their old form before our eyes. Moss' drop, Hightower's drop, Grossman's awful passes, poor playcalling in spots ... yeah, they won, thankfully, but it's like they just REFUSE to do things the easy way, they just refuse to keep an iron grip on victory. Third week in a row this has happened, and we've been lucky to come out on top 2 of those 3 times.

What's frustrating is, for YEARS now, this team has had a tough time scoring more than 20 points in a game, and that trend is continuing. That's something to be afraid of when you look around the league and you see so many games up into the 30s at least - that's become the norm.

3-1 is great, but I've seen this movie before. Cautiously optimistic is about the best I can muster at this juncture. VERY cautious.

you're

;-)

*Hangs head for the second time in this thread, and a :slap: for me.

I think that, and putting 'wear/ were/ where/ we're' in the correct context are the most common written mistakes people make.

Oh, and one that bugs me on these here boards is 'to /too/ two.'

*Walks out chuckling SMH at me. You seriously wouldn't think I was English at times.

---------- Post added October-3rd-2011 at 11:23 AM ----------

I am with GHH for once ;)

That's why I like you AKM man. You always know common sense and good posters when you see th .....

WAIT! *Re-reads "I am with GHH ..... phew, good man, all's good ag ...... for once ;)" ......

In best Homer J voice: WHY YOU LIL' ..... :redpunch:

Hail.

Not picking on your post specifically D man, just running with it as I HATE that. 'A win is a win.'

Even the best teams squeek by with a win at times. An Offense can have an off day. We aren't as good as the Patriots, but at this point, I will take any wins we get. There were some games last year that Green Bay didn't dominate, but they won. Each of those wins counted towards getting them in the Playoffs. Once you reach the playoffs, anything can happen.

So yes, I still say a win is a win.

P.S. - Who do I talk to for a name change? I never want to mention JZ on this site ever again!

That would me. But since you didn't offer a name you want, I'll come up with a new one for ya. :)

Don't worry though, I've turned several guys here into superstars with a patented TK name change. Just ask Toe Jam, Slacky McSlackass, & Forehead. No one even knew who they were before I worked my magic. :)

I'm excited that we are 3-1 but here's the thing that concerns me.(other than our QB)

Everyone is lauding our defense but did they really bail us out yesterday or was it the Rams receivers inability to hold on to perfectly thrown balls(aka StoneHands22 Syndrome) that really gave us that win?

I love the pass rush that we've been lacking for years but our secondary still really needs some work. Dez or Desean or Megatron or any of those guys would have caught those passes and ES would be calling for Haslett's head again.

So while I'm encouraged with the progress and the heart that our team has shown, I'm also mentally prepared for a few of those heartbreak games as well.

Oh I agree. Not arguing that.

But to be a constant winner in this league, I personally believe we need to learn how to close games out and not just be happy with a win. Because we are still staring 7-9 or 8-8 in the face. I am nto saying dominate games front to finish. But when we are up 17-0 to start the 4th, we really need to learn to close teams out. Not let them hang around. That is why a win is not always a win. You have to learn how to win.

Grossman threw the ball right to Laurinaitis and Moss's tipped ball that caused an interception to Justin King that led to a score. those are the 2 biggest keys. I don't know if I interpret that as learning how to win. I would use that term for a young team. I would say Bad decision making and lack of concentration which both Grossman and Moss have shown in spats during there careers and I don't think you can fix that, they are who they are. Moss has been overall a very good pickup for the Skins but does drop balls and, well we know Grossman's history. Thats my take. I do see us as an 8-8 - 9-7 team.

That would me. But since you didn't offer a name you want, I'll come up with a new one for ya. :)

Don't worry though, I've turned several guys here into superstars with a patented TK name change. Just ask Toe Jam, Slacky McSlackass, & Forehead. No one even knew who they were before I worked my magic. :)

Oh cripes.

JZ, may God go with you. You seriously don't realize what you've now unleashed.

Hail.

Oh I agree. Not arguing that.

But to be a constant winner in this league, I personally believe we need to learn how to close games out and not just be happy with a win. Because we are still staring 7-9 or 8-8 in the face. I am nto saying dominate games front to finish. But when we are up 17-0 to start the 4th, we really need to learn to close teams out. Not let them hang around. That is why a win is not always a win. You have to learn how to win.

This I agree with. Yes, I'll take wins any way I can get them. But eventually to be considered an elite team, we need to learn how to put our foot on the throats of the opponent. If Moss doesn't tip that ball, I believe we go up 20-0 and the Rams don't have any fire left. But we gave them a spark and it almost went up in flames for us.

We were fortunate yesterday because of our Defense and the rams don't have ANY playmakers on offense or defense. The run game had another good day. But at some point we will have to stretch the field. And Rex must make better decisions. Unfortunately though, he is what he is. I suppose its frustrating because we could be better, but our deficiencies will probably keep us away from a promising season (which includes the playoffs).... with that said i'm very happy we're 3-1, and if we continue to win the way we have, then i'll take it.

"Mr. Authentic ..

Steven Jackson is on line 2."

That's why I like you AKM man. You always know common sense and good posters when you see th .....

WAIT! *Re-reads "I am with GHH ..... phew, good man, all's good ag ...... for once ;)" ......

In best Homer J voice: WHY YOU LIL' ..... :redpunch:

Hail.

HAHAHAHA! You know I respect your posts.

But, we sure do disagree a lot. Just not this time ;)

How can a board get a grip? It is a community with opinions as diverse as any community in the US. For as many right opinions on any given topic for are surely going to find many that are just as wrong. The board is fluid and right now the Redskin fans have a long memory. The pain stings from past disappointments and near wins. Yesterday would provide you with example A of why it is so difficult to forget the past. In the Gameday thread there were several posters that just assumed when the going got tough that the team would lose. I and others however had faith that somehow the D was different and capable of covering for the offense. We were right this time, does not make us better than the others, just right this time.

It is going to take more than one good season to wash away the stench of twenty years of mediocrity, and who is to say this is the one good season to start with? I have faith Shanahan has the team on the right track and really take joy in the drafting classes of late. That said I can certainly understand many fans lack of unbridled faith. Just choose and pick the thread and posts you feel can help you maintain your level headed fandom. This will help your enjoyment.

Grossman threw the ball right to Laurinaitis and Moss's tipped ball that caused an interception to Justin King that led to a score. those are the 2 biggest keys. I don't know if I interpret that as learning how to win. I would use that term for a young team. I would say Bad decision making and lack of concentration which both Grossman and Moss have shown in spats during there careers and I don't think you can fix that, they are who they are. Moss has been overall a very good pickup for the Skins but does drop balls and, well we know Grossman's history. Thats my take. I do see us as an 8-8 - 9-7 team.

The team we have now has not learned how to win.

Age has nothing to do with it. A young team can learn how to win vs. and old team. We are a mixture.

But no one, I mean no one on this team has won anything with the Redskins. We must learn how to win. Winning three quarters and letting the opponents come back is not closing the game. It is doing enough early and being lucky to hold on to the win.

LOL I step out for lunch and this is my new name?? I can live with it :)

The point of this thread was we should be feeling pretty good right now for where we are at. Hopefully we can improve and Grossman cuts down on his mistakes. I'm optimistic for 8-7 but more realistically 7-9 or 8-8 is in the cards.

I'm unsure of what free agent QB's are out there (Sure would like to draft one but how long until they develop?). A Matt Schaub type that ran this offense before kind of situation!

I admit, I love getting on this board after a Redskins win... and I avoid it after its losses due to all the doom and gloom. But after yesterday's loss (I mean win but you wouldn't tell by looking on this site), I am seeing more, if not the worst doom and gloom about this team which is disappointing!

Here's my observations so far going into the bye week:

* If you told me we would be 3-1 going into the bye I would be ecstatic!! Good or bad Rex, whomever was QB, 3-1 for this team in a 'rebuilding' year is great. We should take it, appreciate it, embrace it, and be happy. I am a realist here and not many could have seen this coming.

No such thing as a rebuilding year. All of the players and coaches on this team are getting paid millions of dollars THIS year. Fans have paid thousands of dollars for season tickets THIS year. We expect them to play and coach like professionals each and every year and work with the talent that they have. We don't want to hear excuses of how losses are acceptable or almost losing to the worst team in the league is okay because we are in a rebuilding year. If they admit to that, please, refund all of the ticket holders their money for this year and they'll come back when a professional product is on the field and not rebuilding

Archived