Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Banks - Snap Judgements

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/don_banks/10/02/week.4/index.html?sct=nfl_t11_a0

Washington is another 3-1 surprise story this season, and while the Redskins may not be winning pretty, does anyone in D.C. really care about style points? The Redskins ground out a 17-10 win at St. Louis, and that one had to feel particularly good for Washington defensive coordinator Jim Haslett, who once served in the same job with the Rams, and was the team's interim head coach in 2008 after the Scott Linehan firing. Haslett wanted the full-time gig, of course, but St. Louis went with Steve Spagnuolo.

You have to be impressed with Washington's backfield depth. Forgotten man Ryan Torain ripped off 135 yards rushing on 19 carries against the Rams, out-producing Tim Hightower and rookie Roy Helu, who have been playing ahead of him in the season's first three games.

But even the victories in Washington are not disguising the fact that quarterback Rex Grossman is returning to the inconsistent form that has plagued his NFL career. Grossman threw two late interceptions that helped the Rams mount a comeback, and the reality is there's going to be some chatter about Washington replacing Grossman with backup John Beck as the team takes its bye this week.

Remember, both Mike and Kyle Shanahan seemed to favor Beck as the team's starter for most of the offseason and preseason, and that's why I still think this will be Beck's team sooner than later. Though he played well enough to win in the season's first two games, Grossman, in the end, is Grossman and he's always going to give you the mixed bag experience. I look for Beck to be in the lineup by Week 7 at Carolina.

I think there is not much to disagree with there, except I do disagree with replacing Grossman for Beck. I think they are going to stick with Grossman. While he has not lit up the score board, he has won games. So I think they will stick with him until, or even if, they start losing. Just my opinion.

Maybe Haslett can get the job again. Spagnuolo is good as gone. The current owner wasn't the owner when Spags got the job; so the Rams will probably be making a coaching change.

I hope Haslett sticks around for a while. I want some consistency on this team, which includes the staff. Plus I don't want the Skins facing another former coach and losing like they did with Marty and Norv.

Maybe Haslett can get the job again. Spagnuolo is good as gone. The current owner wasn't the owner when Spags got the job; so the Rams will probably be making a coaching change.

I don't think he'd go there after they passed him over once. His role in this league is D Coordinator, he has something special developing here and I hope he sticks with it.

I think there is not much to disagree with there, except I do disagree with replacing Grossman for Beck. I think they are going to stick with Grossman. While he has not lit up the score board, he has won games. So I think they will stick with him until, or even if, they start losing. Just my opinion.

I agree with Grossman being the starter until or if we lose the season and are no longer in contention for the playoffs.

I agree with Grossman being the starter until or if we lose the season and are no longer in contention for the playoffs.

I don't get why you would do that with a guy who needed into the preseason to win the starting job. If the coached think Grossman is leaving too many points on the field and not making the correct reads, why not attempt to upgrade?

All I know is this... Beck was a horror show in the final preseason game versus Tampa's second string D. Putrid. It scared me to death to think that that guy could start a game for us. Rex is in the bottom third of NFL starters for sure, but Beck played himself out of serious consideration. As others have said, Rex is going to have to be really bad for me to want to see a change.

Regardless...we wouldn't be pulling an established, tenured starter or a developing, young prospect. We would be replacing a 30 year old who's been on the team for 2 years with a 31 year old who's been on the team for 2 years. What's the harm?

Experience. Beck has next to none and it would be like throwing in a rookie. And he didn't look too clever in the pre-season. The last game against Tampa's scrubs is a prime example.

I don't think it's any revelation that I seriously don't like Grossman being anywhere near the field of play for my team. But all things considered, with Beck nowhere near ready to step in, he's the best option Shanahan has to win; and as such I doubt there's a change even if we go on a slide.

Hail.

I hope Haslett sticks around for a while. I want some consistency on this team, which includes the staff. Plus I don't want the Skins facing another former coach and losing like they did with Marty and Norv.

Exactly! We've had the revolving door of coaches for so long. Now that Haslett is getting his pieces together and the scheme is working,id hate to see Danny let him go. It would set us back defensively 2 years at least.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2011 at 10:01 PM ----------

I thought this was gonna be an article about Banks not a writer Banks

Yeah so did i and was expecting one because while he is dangerous,he really hasent lived up to his hype as of yet.

Gross needs to lose 2-3 games on his own. He does that and he's benched.

He needs to lose twenty pounds is what he needs to lose. No excuse for a professional athlete to report in that kind of shape.

Rex looks slow and sluggiah and he appears to grow tired as the game goes on

The media was so sure they had "scooped" Shanahan's favoring Beck that they refuse to let it go. It's quite possible Beck was just a QB that happened to be available, that the Shanahan's had some good things to say about, and that is it, but because the media was sooooo convinced Shanahan was going to start him, once he didn't there has become an asterisks on just about every single article written about the 'Skins that includes a comment about Beck eventually being the starter.

Yeah ... I am sure someone could try and snatch 'Has from the Redskins, but I am sure Danny will pull out the checkbook to keep him here.

HTTR

He needs to lose twenty pounds is what he needs to lose. No excuse for a professional athlete to report in that kind of shape.

this is spot fricken on. in the second half, rex doesnt seem to have the energy to run the team up to the line, throw accuratly, OR make a play on his own.

I thought I was going to rip my hair out watching him run for that first down.

he is out of shape and anyone with eyes can see it.

"He can start the transformation today by going on a diet. He needs to lose weight, as he admits — and this is not a trivial point. If Grossman has an inherent limitation, it’s his lack of mobility. He has no business compounding it with a knife and fork if he expects to lead the Redskins to the playoffs." ~ Sally Jenkins

The DC media has ripped the skins for everything I can think of... but I can't remember another time they wrote about the QB being fat. That just doesn't happen in this league very often.

He did say it was a snap judgment.

If Beck had shown me anything in the preseason it was that the team played better with him. Rex just looked like a much more polished Quarterback.

The team has a different feel with Beck. I'm still more confident with Rex.

Let's see what he looks like against Philly.

I was thinking Rex doesn't look much like a "gunslinger" who can at times kill you with the bad decision. He just looks limited, and can still kill you with the bad decision. The posts and slants really made the offense effective. But the middle of the field passing game seems to have dried up, and the the midrange passing attack along with it. I don't know if this is due to denfensive adjustments, offensive game plan, the missing deep threat, poor receiver play, or just Rex?

Gross needs to lose 2-3 games on his own. He does that and he's benched.

If Grossman loses two football games on his own, he will never play in Washington again. Imagine how bad you'd have to be to loss two games by yourself. Did you see Luke McCown in week 2 for Jacksonville? He got replaced by a rookie after a off-season lockout after one game, where you could say he lost it for his team.

If Grossman loses two football games on his own, he'd better take those secret White House tunnels out of town.

Archived